JPF Home Page
https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13701058

Another song produced  and sung by Mike Zaneski.
I'd like to thank Mike once again for his time and patience in addressing issues which cropped up along the way
This time it's a double thank you as Dave Rice and I collaborated on this new song.
I initially saw it as a  contemporary folk song so did Dave. However Mike presented us with the idea of turning  it into an Adult Contemporary song.
Never really written songs in this genre before Dave and I were a little uneasy.
This completed version changed our minds.
Hope you like it too
Please take a listen

WHERE ARE YOU?
V
She could count her lovers… on one finger of her hand
and when he left her lonely... she tried to understand...
He always had this wanderlust... yet she knew some day
he'd drift back on a gypsy wind… it had always been that way.
V
Her daydreams fused with memories... of the passion in their hearts
she hated speculation... their words like poison darts.
Then weeks turned into months... and his letters were so few
and when she read each one out loud... her heart said, “Where are You?”

Is this the day he'll come back home… believing it was true...
I know you're out there somewhere… Please tell me, where are you? tell me where are you..
B
In the fire… embers flicker… last dance before they die…
she finished off her coffee… looked out at the sky…
then climbed those stairs of solitude… who'd hold her when she'd cry.
V
She cried into the lonely night… tell me… where are you?
Then sobbed until her pillow… was wet like morning dew.
When Angels watching from above... would wipe her sad eyes dry…
on mystic wings they flew with her... then each morning said goodbye...
V
They soared above the valleys… then followed mountain streams…
until they reached that place… where he still held her dreams.
And when her eyes would open… as each morning's light was new…
She held onto his pillow… and whispered, “Where are you?”
V
She'd walk along the shore..  looking out at sea
he was like the ocean's ebb and flow… always wild and free
but some day soon he'd come back home just like he's done before
He'll hear the beating of her heart… as he's walking through the door.
Hi guys,

Wow, what a cool song, & so nicely done.

Calvin

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/calvinstewart
This sounds really great overall but the lyrical content feels just a touch dated, though, if you're going for nostalgia, you've hit the mark. Mike's emotional delivery and production skills really bring it home. I was just hoping by song's end, she would have wised up and moved on. smile

Ricki
Thanks once again for your support Calvin
Travis
Hi Ricki
The song leans more to nostalgia lyrically with it's reference
to letters for instance.Music wise Dave and Mike have given it a contemporary feel.
The song originally had a happy ending, but we scrubbed it and left it knowing he'd eventually get his act together and come home lol.
Thanks for your listen and comments
Travis
Good song...I found it long maybe after the pillow verse go to the outro? just me

...no nits about performance, very good.
Yes it is long Neil.I did think of cutting it at 'pillow 'when we had a rethink on the ending.
I suppose it's still plausible with a minor rewrite.
Thanks for the listen too
Travis
A nice production. The vocals are a highlight.
Thanks for the listen Floyd
Travis
Thanks for taking time to listen, Calvin, Ricki, Neil & Floyd:

It was a pleasure working with Travis and Mike on this collaborative effort. Travis did all the "heavy lifting" and Mike performed the magic. I sat back and threw out an idea or two during the process and it was so enjoyable working with folks who are passionate about what they do.

Your ideas and comments are appreciated. ----Dave
Very nice. Very well put together.

As a minor suggestions:
it had always been that way. > he'd always been that way.
their words like poison darts. > words like poison darts.

The verse starting 'They soared above the valleys" doesn't seem to add much. I'd lose that.

If this is your first venture into Adult Contemporary, then it's a successful one!
Hi RDM
First of all thanks for your listen and feedback, it's much appreciated.
Nothing is written in stone and your suggestions can be looked at when we've got all feedback in.
Ideas are great cheers!
Travis
Lovely song.

Kinda long, but so is Stairway to Heaven.

Only thing that struck me as a kink....the vocal melody seemed to have to climb over the syllables in the word "speculation." Additionally, the song is written in folksy and lyrical terms. "Speculation" stuck out to me as sounding somewhat harder and technical.

Nice tune though. Listened start to finish and really enjoyed the solo break after the bridge. Very tasteful.

Nice job all around fellas.

Martin
Thanks, Martin:

Your reviews are always meaningful... and "spot-on" my friend. I also agree that Mike's Instrumental Solo was really a treat. On that note, I thought he finished the song with a fantastic flurry. It's fun to work with talented folks like Travis and Mike.

I hope things are getting back to normal there in Houston... but realize the scars of that Hurricane will last for years... at least for many.

Thanks again for listening. ----Dave
Thanks Martin speculation is a mouthful but I think Mike did manage it.
To be honest a better word could have been substituted talk or rumour as examples.
I too loved the solo breaks especially tbe outro
Thanks again Martin
Travis
Dave you were no lightweight! You did the music and contributed a lot to the lyric!
I'm to blame for the rest of it.
Mike again pulled it all together
Hi Travis, Dave and Mike.
A fanciful lyric and where have I heard the lines, "In the fire the embers flicker. Last dance before they die" before?

The melody is good and Mike did another good job on the production.
There is a drum fill that sounds a little distorted after the guitar solo that may need revisiting but it may be an mp3 blip.
Good luck with it.
Vic
Hi Vic:

Wish I had your fantastic ears. I'll bet Mike will be taking a look at that in a New York minute. Digital Music can sometimes be quirky or grabbed by the Gremlins when transferred from device to device... but thanks for the "heads up." I questioned that part of the lyric as well. I think John borrowed it from someone famous... but one should always remember, I failed third grade... LOL!

Thanks so much for taking time to listen and share your "take!" You're the best!

----Dave
Lovely polished performance, this flow nicely. Perhaps could be shortened slightly, but well put together and a really easy listen.

Cheers,

Kevin
Hi Dave and Vic
No not from someone famous from an old iyric i wrote lol
Dave did the melody and it worked great i think, gifted bloke is that other Welshman Vic.
Thanks for your comments Vic and i'm sure Mike will address technical bits
John
Hi Kevin
Thanks for your ears yes it's long but not impossible to shorten a wee bit
Cheers
Travis
Yes Dave,
Mp3s don't travel well.
There's a lady radio presenter who Travis and I deal with who insists on having that format.
Maybe she has a small hard drive. :-)
I'm sure Mike will sort it.
Vic
Travis,
"Desperate days and sad songs". Opening line.
Dim and distant past. :-)

Vic
You did a great job on that one Vic.Nothing wrong with recycling. Look at Status Quo they made a career out of it
While we are "having this conversation"... I've been guilty of re-cycling a line or two from one song to another. After you've crossed the 1000 song marker, ya' have to be careful not to re-use the entire melody again... LOL! Now, if only I had written 1000 "HIT Songs"... I'd be buying you two a recording studio somewhere convenient for both of you.

A few years back, we had a natural gas "boom" (meaning a flurry of activity drilling wells and adding the holding tanks and pipelines to support a network of wells)... and a nearby gentleman made about Twenty Million from the sale of his mineral rights, bought his kids a brand new recording studio, a new restaurant about six times larger than the local economy could support and eventually went broke. The studio gear was sold off at a dime on the dollar. I bid on some of it but got there too late. (Seems like the story of my life!)

Later, you two... ----Dave
Very nice...clean guitar, nice vocals, good overall production

malin
We're likely not much help nowadays when it comes to "reviewing" forum songs. As I get a few years behind me with this production stuff if I've learned one thing it's that mixes are never finished...just abandoned. And that most nits boil down to personal preferences. Typically we enjoy separating ourselves from that as much as possible and just enjoying a song. And unlike Vic and many others my old ears no longer allow me to tell a 256 mp3 from a wave! Pardon the ramble. It's just a long setup to us saying we much enjoyed listening to this song. We don't listen in the context of whether something is marketable or even what genre it is. This one sounds great on our monitors. And like mr jane alluded the vocals are standout.

Y'all done good!!!

J&B

Hi J&B
Again thanks for your support and comments.As previously admitted technology is'nt my strongest subject. As far as i'm happy to admit waves are either wet, friendly or something that comes at you in stages.
Cheers folks
Travis
Hi Malin
Thanks for your thumbs up much appreciated
Travis
Thanks for giving "Where Are You" a listen, Malin:

So nice of you to take the time to comment. Travis and I are eternally grateful to Mike Zaneski for his production capabilities, knowledge of all things music related, and raw talent. We think he may have turned a "Sow's Ear" into a "Silk Purse" for us.

Regards, ----Dave
Hi J&B:

Once again, you have honored us with a listen and some words of wisdom. I certainly agree that Mike Z. took this one to a different level... and we are so pleased with his imagination and hard work. Thanks for dropping by. We can't wait to hear what you have "waiting in the wings" for us.

All the best, ----Dave
Heard today that the song is under consideration for playing on source Radio here in the UK on Friday afternoon
Again, cool song. The lyrics are really bland.
Lol
Fail to see whats funny:

"She'd walk along the shore.. looking out at sea
he was like the ocean's ebb and flow… always wild and free"

Come on man thats just run of the mill lyrics. Elementary and childish.

The music is great as I stated. The lyrics seem like something one of Taylor Swifts songwriters would write. Nothing personal just my opinion,

Most of the songs I have listened to here seem to suffer from that. Just no lyrical savy.
I 'd say that statement is subjective.And i defend your right to post it.
I don't agee with you however, there's some excellent songs on here and talented writers too.
I thank you for your comments and look forward to seeing your work on the forums.
No i didn't take it as an insult, all feedback is welcome.
Travis
Agreed!! Just not thought provoking enough for me....the music is so good however its steal worthy!
Thank again Steve. My co write Dave wrote the melody
Travis
Hey Travis,

Very nice song. I love the placements of the BGV lines in the verses...not overdone, just perfect I thought. I also like the use of the minor chords near the end of the verses. And the vocals by Mike...so good.

Germain
Thanks for listening, Steve and Germain:

We appreciate your thoughts and comments. Looking forward to hearing more of your work.

----Dave
Thanks Germain
Pleased you enjoyed this one
Travis
I took the time to go back and read a few recent posts about this song in particular. Not wanting to "start another war" here... but gee whiz... when you open the gates at a music community where you are an unknown, unproven entity... it would be nice if you take time to post your own songs, listen to the comments of others... and realize that musical respect must be earned, not automatically awarded. I'll leave it at that for now 'cause my intentions are good and I'd rather have friends than foes. ----Dave
Your welcome Travis.
Hey Dave, well I'm guessing that I'm the newbie that you're talking about. It's funny cause I was thinking just the opposite...I didn't want to post any of my songs right away as I thought it would be more appropriate to wait a while till people on here get to know me a little (funny how different people think). I certainly didn't mean any disrespect, none whatsoever.

Anyway, I'm glad you shared your point of view. I will post a song today then.

Thanks,
Germain
Slow down Germain
It was definately not you.
I'll send you a PM
Cheers
Travis
Oh ok. Thanks Travis.
Hi Germain:

You have another Personal Message. (PM)

Regards, ----Dave
The song was played on Source Radio based in Cornwall. The show is a showcase for emerging talent. With Dave and I having a combined age of over 150 years, ( don't know Mike's age?) That's amusing!
Travis
Hi Travis:

Was the show really about "submerging" talent? LOL! I'm not sure about Mike's age but he's a "young pup" compared to us.

Let's hope the folks in Cornwall have requested encores and curtain calls.

Later, ----Dave
Lol in a sea faring part of the county Falmouth.It could well submerge!
From a friend: "Cant get this out of my head." Thought you would want to know!
Sorry Steve explain?
Still waiting from Steve? We would like to know!
Lol
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards