JPF Home Page

A Hole The Size Of Texas

Posted By: floyd jane

A Hole The Size Of Texas - 02/25/18 04:38 PM

The older I get, the more I forget...


A HOLE THE SIZE OF TEXAS

i often forget what I was planning to do
like there's a hole in my head that things fall through
a torn left hand pocket in my favorite jeans
guarantees I'll lose most everything

    so why can't I lose this heartache
    why does this empty weigh me down
    try as i might I can't shake these blues
    what's that all about
    there's a hole the size of texas in my heart
    so why won't you fall out
    why won't you fall out

i lose my way from a wandering mind
i can lose myself and my sense of time
misplace my wallet, my keys, my phone
things disappear, no idea where they've gone



Comments encouraged.
Thanks for listening.

floyd
Posted By: Fdemetrio

Re: A Hole The Size Of Texas - 02/25/18 04:54 PM

Killer dude. When I saw the lyrics written out the way they were, I'd lknew it be different than normal fare.

You know my feeling on biab. I thought this sounded really good, though to me the guitar solo doesn't sound like it belongs to the song.

That's little tidbit aside, love the song, love the chords, love the why don't you part....

Maybe a bridge? But fantastic work, really enjoyed this!
Posted By: Dave Rice

Re: A Hole The Size Of Texas - 02/25/18 07:14 PM

A really nice song, Floyd:

At first glance... I looked at the lyric and wondered "how's he gonna make a three minute song out of this?" LOL... (Repeat the chorus you dummy! ... he says!) Then there's that nice space for a guitar solo. I have no nits or crits. It works just fine and I believe it would be very popular in this neck of the Texas woods. Enjoyed my listen. Best of luck with it if you "pitch it!" ----Dave
Posted By: Martin Lide

Re: A Hole The Size Of Texas - 02/25/18 08:02 PM

I don't have the willpower to resist commenting on a song with Texas in the title. wink

Very nice drift and mood to this Floyd. Nice word-play with "fall out." Liked it.

Martin
Posted By: Vicarn

Re: A Hole The Size Of Texas - 02/25/18 08:21 PM

Nice one Floyd.
Unusual drum arrangement for the type of song, I thought. Maybe not though.
Lyrics are great..

Vic
Posted By: Calvin

Re: A Hole The Size Of Texas - 02/25/18 08:24 PM

Hello Floyd,


Such a beautiful delivery.


Calvin


http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/calvinstewart
Posted By: Ricki E. Bellos

Re: A Hole The Size Of Texas - 02/26/18 02:43 PM

What a great hook, Floyd and everything else just falls into place. Well done.

Ricki
Posted By: David Snyder

Re: A Hole The Size Of Texas - 02/26/18 06:31 PM


This sounds great Floyd. I have heard this before--and it never loses its punch.

Wonderful lyrics, melody, mood, vibe and vocals.

Love it.
Posted By: floyd jane

Re: A Hole The Size Of Texas - 02/27/18 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Fdemetrio
Killer dude. When I saw the lyrics written out the way they were, I'd lknew it be different than normal fare.

You know my feeling on biab. I thought this sounded really good, though to me the guitar solo doesn't sound like it belongs to the song.

That's little tidbit aside, love the song, love the chords, love the why don't you part....

Maybe a bridge? But fantastic work, really enjoyed this!


Glad you found stuff to like about this, Robert.

The guitar was done by my buddy Tom Adams - a fine player, writer and producer in his own right. "belonging" is, of course, a subjective thing.

I didn't feel this needed a bridge. I had said all I needed to and it is long enough as is (I think).

Thanks for listening.




Originally Posted by Dave Rice
A really nice song, Floyd:

At first glance... I looked at the lyric and wondered "how's he gonna make a three minute song out of this?" LOL... (Repeat the chorus you dummy! ... he says!) Then there's that nice space for a guitar solo. I have no nits or crits. It works just fine and I believe it would be very popular in this neck of the Texas woods. Enjoyed my listen. Best of luck with it if you "pitch it!" ----Dave


Thanks, as always, Dave. I don't do these to "pitch". I did that for many years when I lived in Nashville. Now, I'm just pitching to myself. Turns out I like everything I write and I'm happy to record and produce it!! smile
Posted By: Fdemetrio

Re: A Hole The Size Of Texas - 02/27/18 01:35 AM

Who is Robert? Lol

If you say that's your buddy playing lead I believe you. I thought I gave a very nice comment.

Posted By: Janice_and_Bud

Re: A Hole The Size Of Texas - 02/27/18 02:26 AM

Allow us to add further affirmation that Tom is a fine guitar and steel soloist and friend. He knows his stuff!

J&B
Posted By: floyd jane

Re: A Hole The Size Of Texas - 02/27/18 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Fdemetrio

If you say that's your buddy playing lead I believe you. I thought I gave a very nice comment.


It was a very nice comment, indeed. I don't believe I said otherwise. I was merely pointing out that the guitar solo was, in fact, played by a fine musician, and so "belonged to the song" to his ear though it might not to yours - like I said... "subjective". And you gave a quick "bridge suggestion" so I addressed that from my perspective as well... merely a discussion... if it was not clear previously - "Thanks for such a nice comment! I really appreciate it. That appreciation is the best we can hope for these days".
Posted By: floyd jane

Re: A Hole The Size Of Texas - 02/27/18 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Rice
A really nice song, Floyd:

At first glance... I looked at the lyric and wondered "how's he gonna make a three minute song out of this?" LOL... (Repeat the chorus you dummy! ... he says!) Then there's that nice space for a guitar solo. I have no nits or crits. It works just fine and I believe it would be very popular in this neck of the Texas woods. Enjoyed my listen. Best of luck with it if you "pitch it!" ----Dave


Thanks, Dave... glad to know the Texans are on board with it... smile



Originally Posted by Martin Lide
I don't have the willpower to resist commenting on a song with Texas in the title. wink

Very nice drift and mood to this Floyd. Nice word-play with "fall out." Liked it.

Martin


Always enjoy hearing from you Martin (really like your stuff!), Thanks...
Posted By: floyd jane

Re: A Hole The Size Of Texas - 02/28/18 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Vicarn
Nice one Floyd.
Unusual drum arrangement for the type of song, I thought. Maybe not though.
Lyrics are great..

Vic

Thanks, Vic. One day we'll sit over a couple of pints and discuss drums... smile


Originally Posted by Calvin
Hello Floyd,


Such a beautiful delivery.


Calvin


http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/calvinstewart


Thank you, Calvin...
Posted By: Nelson

Re: A Hole The Size Of Texas - 03/01/18 02:27 AM

Beautifully done Floyd.
Enjoyed the spin.
Posted By: floyd jane

Re: A Hole The Size Of Texas - 03/02/18 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Ricki E. Bellos
What a great hook, Floyd and everything else just falls into place. Well done.

Ricki


Thanks, Ricki...


Originally Posted by David Snyder

This sounds great Floyd. I have heard this before--and it never loses its punch.

Wonderful lyrics, melody, mood, vibe and vocals.

Love it.


You've been kinda quiet lately, dude.... ?


Originally Posted by Nelson
Beautifully done Floyd.
Enjoyed the spin.


Thanks for the listen, Nelson...
Posted By: Travis david

Re: A Hole The Size Of Texas - 03/04/18 11:04 AM

I read the lyric liitially and that first verse is a stunner.
Good song, poignant well crafted and performed
Travis
Posted By: floyd jane

Re: A Hole The Size Of Texas - 03/05/18 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Travis david
I read the lyric liitially and that first verse is a stunner.
Good song, poignant well crafted and performed
Travis

Thanks, Travis...
Posted By: Janice_and_Bud

Re: A Hole The Size Of Texas - 03/06/18 10:13 PM

You have a rare talent of taking themes that have been sung about many times in many genres and infusing a lyric with new life through subtle lyric twists and nuances that are never overwrought, never mundane, never over intellectualized and always thought provoking. How you can hit that sweet spot so often has and continues to amaze us.

Nice one again mr jane.

J&B
Posted By: Germain Brunet

Re: A Hole The Size Of Texas - 03/08/18 07:35 PM

Hey Floyd, I like this song of yours as well. "There's a hole the size of Texas in my heart, why won't you fall out"....What a great way to say the you can't forget about someone....love it!

Germain
© 2018 Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards