JPF Home Page
Posted By: Johnny Daubert Stagedoor Johnny (Rock Musical Piece) - 01/08/18 06:58 AM
Stagedoor Johnny:
https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13594628

I was on this for two months. The first month composing and recomposing and mixing and remixing, to have the second month of it be gone over and over by Mike Appel and Mike Caro in Staten Island. WE had various mixes, there in Staten Island, and my take on everything, when I got home again after the last night in NY. The crowd track was added as a thought of presenting the musical's 13 song demo with this piece as if it was played by an orchestra in a theater. with hopes that any investor might envision the musical as more real than not.

Anyway, no investors were had to speak of. I poured my health into this for those two straight months, with on average 16 hour days being spent in one way or another up here at my keyboard and computer, and at Substudio in Staten Island.

This will be most likely my last piece I post here, for I have overposted songs recently. With turning 65 this Thursday, (the 11th of January), I might spend more time doing other things, as my wishes for some type of work in music has come and gone. I will get more into family time, and house time, to do even more things around the house, and to give my ears as much needed rest. I plan to put my keys upright, so not to jump back in on them, for my ear;s sake and I guess to keep my doing some other things.

It is with this mixed emotion decision, (what else should we fee but mixed emotions, right?), that I thought to have this very wishful piece of mine be the last in a while. (This piece is my orchestrated version of the Mike Appel song of the same title, which we did another version in a standard Rock fashion, which can be heard on his website, Mike Appel Dot Com. There are 6 other songs there I played most of the music for, including real drums. I played real drum in The Who Section of the Rock version of Stagedoor Johnny.

I will hang out here and chat and stuff, but I would like this piece to exit my song postings. Thank you so much for ALL your listening and comments and advice! I will try to listen to songs by you all after my ears are rested some. I took off year in 2011, which helped some. But, my condition is worse now. I will do what I can at my earliest.

Thank you all again, and I hope this piece moves you in some way. It was tough putting in the 16 hour days, but like us all, worthwhile too. Music lifts us UP, no matter, right? I am lucky to be able to play, as I found out tonight Stevie B can not. That saddens me. I wish great healings for him.

Thanks so much,
John
Wow, Johnny, what a production! I have to proclaim my ignorance though...have you posted the rest of this musical before and I missed it?

Ricki
Posted By: TC Perkins Re: Stagedoor Johnny (Rock Musical Piece) - 01/10/18 03:55 PM
Sounds good!

I hope your health improves and you get back to making music soon.

Best wishes,
TC
Originally Posted by Ricki E. Bellos
Wow, Johnny, what a production! I have to preclaim my ignorance though...have you posted the rest of this musical before and I missed it?

Ricki

Thank you, Ricki! NO, I have not, for the musical had been a work in progress with changes here and there. The title used to be "In The Shadow Of The King", (Elvis). Once wew did the rock version of Stagedoor Johnny though, with me coming up with a lot of added music and hooks, and Mike Caro adding his genius, Appel asked me to compose an overture of sorts for the song. After him hearing the first drafts, he started to change his mind about the title and theme song. He then envisioned this work of this thread to be the opening piece to the musical. Mike Caro had worked out much if not all the music for 6 songs before I was introduced to Mike Appel, through our great friend, Mike Caro, (Sub- Substudio), as you sure know on your own how great of a friend and musician/producer he is.
The songs can be found and heard at http://www.mikeappel.com/songs&lyrics.html

The following are just for explaining what I did on them. Sub played all the guitars and some of the bass. It was difficult for him to play anything at that ill time of his, yet, he did GREAT!

1. "Stagedoor Johnny Overture" The Mike Appel Mix, which is different than mine). I wanted max power and certain parts to be strong, to signal this musical was not going to be the usual.

2. "Manny's Music Store" (I played real drums and all music but the bass, (Sub with great courage and will managed to play it with great feeling). Was amazing to witness!

3. "Einstein In Love" (I did all the music at home before meeting Appel), Is what got my foot in Substudio's door, with the initial suggestion of Sub, (Mike Caro), that he send me Mike Appel's acoustic guitar demo, to hear what I would and could add. My full demo for Appel and Sub to review ended up being the track, plus some other parts I added at the studio when first meeting Appel. Luckily, he was all smiles when I walked into the control room. That relaxed me, to then think, "OK, I already got this, just be calm and do what I do".

6. "Temples Of Tibet" Everything except guitars, bass and drums. Drums by John Pallidino, one of Sub's friends he called in to give a bone to). GOOD friend again, Sub is! JP did great!

11 "Romano Mussolini's All Star Band" Real drums in my Gene Krupa-Buddy Rich tom tom playing style I always loved to "try" to play since I was 12. I did it in one take, with some dubbing in some extra hits where Appel wanted them. All other music on keys, including the walking upright bass setting, horns and whatever else was thrown in there.

14. "Stagedoor Johnny" (The Rock Version). I did the Piano, Organ Harpsichord, Horns, and the WHO Rockin' Section on Real Drums. Sub all Guitars and Bass! (Verse and chorus Drums by John Pallidino
Originally Posted by TC Perkins
Sounds good!

I hope your health improves and you get back to making music soon.

Best wishes,
TC

Thank you very much for my health wish! I wish you are in good health, and if so, STAY there! If not, YOU get better!

John
Wow...that is one ambitious project! Are all the vocals Appel's? It's going to take several passes through to really hear it all, the lyrics are so involved. I was having trouble determining the overall plot of the musical so had to do a google search to find out what it was actually about. Still not sure how Einstein and Mussolini fit in but I'm still listening! grin

Ricki
Ricki, Sub and I weren't sure about what you mentioned either! I have the script on file, (I think still). It did spot the songs. So, I guess those songs are in there to showcase the subject star of the musical. Yes, for the demo, it is all Appel's vocals. There are songs for the female co star too.

Sub mentioned the lyrics were complex, so would be tough for people to come out singing hooks. It seems like we worked on the music to be the driving, most important aspect of that musical. Appel kept saying, the more you are playing, the more I am thinking this could be a very special music focused musical, to wow the people with the arrangements and playing prowess. I smiled inside of course. Just wondered what Sub did, about the lyrics being complex. I was adding police, I guess. Some songs, most music, when Sub was out for the count BUT he, SUB laied down tons more on the other songs that were being done long before I was brought in. Check out all HIS work! Wow!

At least, I got better in all areas, musically, and track management learning form Sub. I had to take over and head engineer, and editor, at the same times I was creating and playing parts. Kept having to quickly switch hats, which I actually LOVED. It simply was FUN for me to be SO Involved in music to that almost unreal degree. Sub telling me things from a chair out in the main room, (with him trying not to faint or die from intense neck and back pain and vertigo), and, Appel telling me musical things. ALL at the just about the same times, for a lot of times. Good thing I am hyper focused by default, no matter what I am involved with. (ya know what helped for be that quick and ready? BASEBALL! Besides a pitching prospect for The Phillies, I had been a third baseball, even at the higher leagues, for how quick and focused I was at Third. The HOT Corner! Loved it! Hated Shortstop, for how LONG it took the ball to get to me, even when running in on them. So, when I was being thrown this and that instruction on two or three different things in the studio, (as I played all the parts and did the engineering and track management in ONE small control room), I was having the time of my life! THAT is what I wanted to do all along: To Be Challenged in any way, musically. I pinched myself at the end of the sessions, as Sub will talk about if asked. I was so happy and grateful for being given ANY chore with Sub and a Hit Producer.

Ambitious project for sure! I was in Heaven doing all of it. Now? I am like a retired sort just cutting the lawn and keeping the house clean for my full time working wife, Cindy. I get into all that too. BUT, I do miss the ACTION of doing something in music that has pros I have to work for, and a chance for something to come of it, to lead to other projects, and so on. Seems not to be in the cards though. 65 tomorrow, and who wants that age to START something with them on a pro level? With Tinnitus being worse these days, I would mainly want to do such a project again IF the pay is better abd the chance even greater. The tradeoff now is crazy. BUT, I would do it, and do it better and better, or say, Sorry, Can't do.

Thanks for your interest. You might sense my energy still. (The Mitochondria DNA cells in me seems not to be mutated YET). Ha! They make up 90% of our entire body's Energy. So, "Don't Let Your Mitochondria DNA Mutate", for when it does that is the reason older folks say, "I don't have the ENERGY I used to". THAT is why! Those mutations. No kidding. If curious about such a thing, look up Doug Wallace, from CHOP Hospital in Philly. 50 years studying such a DNA. In this month's attachment edition of Scientific American. I just read that info today, and is WHY I brought it up.

Thank you Ricki!
Take good care!
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards