JPF Home Page

Watercolor Blues

Posted By: RainyDayMan

Watercolor Blues - 11/06/17 05:03 AM

This is a jazzy/blues kind of number. This isnt meant to be a production quality recording.

Watercolor blues
(c) 2017 Owen Hovenden

Link to song

Watercolor blues
Crying over pictures of you
Washing away all the
Pain with the color
Till life takes a duller
Shade of hue
Without you

Watercolor blues
Memories seeping through
Blurring the lines and the
Shapes of the faces
To people and places
We once knew
Bleeding through

<break>

Watercolor blues
Sifting the lies from the truth
Finding the faults and the
Tears in the pages
With bruising exchanges
Of view
we both lose

Watercolor blues
Nothing left to lose
Emptiness crowding the
Jumbled up spaces
Filling the place
That was you
Nothing to do

Bridge:
Blue pallet for a pallid kind of day
Watercolors to wash the world away

Watercolor blues
Washing away all the
Pain with the color
Till life takes a duller
Shade of hue

Without you
Posted By: Paul Churchfield

Re: Watercolor Blues - 11/06/17 12:54 PM

Nice music and a cool groove. I enjoyed the song. I'm hearing maybe a very smoky upright bass and brushes. But it's great the way it is too. Nice job!
Posted By: Neil Cotton

Re: Watercolor Blues - 11/06/17 01:00 PM

your music captured the mood.

Till life takes a duller shade of hue....seems like a forced rhyme, awkward. shade & hue mean the same

could this be called Watercolored view

Watercolored view
Washing away all the
Pain with the color
Till life takes a duller
Hue of blue
Posted By: Ricki E. Bellos

Re: Watercolor Blues - 11/06/17 02:40 PM

Very cool, Owen. I greatly admire your playing and the imagery in your lyric. Like Neil said, shade and hue mean the same thing so maybe...

shade AND hue...

shade OR hue...

or something completely different...

point of view?

Just some thoughts. This is really awesome overall. And in case no one has said it yet, welcome to JPF.

Ricki
Posted By: Dave Rice

Re: Watercolor Blues - 11/06/17 08:27 PM

Hi Owen:

I read your lyric about halfway, then decided to listen. Your "caveat" aside, the song has real potential and I hope you'll continue to pursue a Pro Demo whenever you believe the time is right. I don't know how strong the "Blues Market" is these days but suspect it has enough of a following to make the effort worthwhile. Enjoyed my listen even though it isn't quite ready for "prime time." Thanks for sharing and best of luck with it. ----Dave

Re: Watercolor Blues - 11/06/17 08:55 PM

Thank you all for the feedback!

@Paul Churchfield Yes a classic but sparse jazz production would suit it well!

@Neil Cotton You are right of course that "shade of hue" isn't grammatically correct. I chose to do that anyway because I liked the sound of it. Not forced in the sense of couldnt find an alternate rhyme. Perhaps it jars too much for the listener, although I suspect as songwriters we are much more aware of some of these issues than a broader audience. Ricki's suggestion of "Shade and hue" may be the better option here. Technically shade is the saturation of black - dark/light, whereas hue is the RGB value - color which still doesn't make my line correct!! I think "Watercolor" is much cleaner to sing than "Watercolored" so I won't take up that suggestion.

@Ricki E. Bellos The "shade and hue" option is a good one that allows me to keep the sound I wanted whilst being more grammatically accurate so thanks for that suggestion. And thanks for the welcome smile

@Dave Rice I'm glad you think it has potential! A Pro Demo would be lovely, but isn't an option for me at the moment.
Posted By: Douglas Murphy

Re: Watercolor Blues - 11/07/17 12:54 AM

Works for me. The flow is there and the feel shines through. Good Job!

Douglas

Re: Watercolor Blues - 11/07/17 01:53 AM

Cheers! smile
Posted By: E Swartz

Re: Watercolor Blues - 11/07/17 02:32 PM

Hi Owen,

Cool Blues vibe here. I really like the melody jumps. I sincerely think Ricki's sug was a good one, as that phrase disconcerted me when I first heard the song, and that was before she or Neil had responded--it's not a big deal and I've been there myself--where we condition ourselves to just feel the phonetics which are perfect--but we don't want to disconcert our listeners and have them "pondering" that phrase instead of flowing along with the song--little things make a difference, especially with first impressions--an easy fix however!

You have a great lyric concept along with a unique Blues vibe with even more potential for sure--well written!

steady-eddie
Posted By: Neil Cotton

Re: Watercolor Blues - 11/07/17 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by RainyDayMan
Thank you all for the feedback!

@Paul Churchfield Yes a classic but sparse jazz production would suit it well!

@Neil Cotton You are right of course that "shade of hue" isn't grammatically correct. I chose to do that anyway because I liked the sound of it. Not forced in the sense of couldnt find an alternate rhyme. Perhaps it jars too much for the listener, although I suspect as songwriters we are much more aware of some of these issues than a broader audience. Ricki's suggestion of "Shade and hue" may be the better option here. Technically shade is the saturation of black - dark/light, whereas hue is the RGB value - color which still doesn't make my line correct!! I think "Watercolor" is much cleaner to sing than "Watercolored" so I won't take up that suggestion.

@Ricki E. Bellos The "shade and hue" option is a good one that allows me to keep the sound I wanted whilst being more grammatically accurate so thanks for that suggestion. And thanks for the welcome smile

@Dave Rice I'm glad you think it has potential! A Pro Demo would be lovely, but isn't an option for me at the moment.

OK then
Watercolor view.
smile
How about some fun poetry?

I'm right
You're wrong
But it's your song. LOL

All the best !!

Re: Watercolor Blues - 11/07/17 10:04 PM

@steady-eddie Yes I can see that people are going to get stuck on that line, and that will break the immersion. Ricki's suggestion is a good one and I will take that up.

@Neil Cotton Ha! I do appreciate your feedback, but in the end I have to go with what feels right to me. Otherwise it wouldn't be my song. Perhaps you can save the phrase for one of your own?
Posted By: Scott Campbell

Re: Watercolor Blues - 11/08/17 12:46 AM

Very cool! Love the feel and nice picking!

Scott
Posted By: Nelson

Re: Watercolor Blues - 11/08/17 02:04 AM

Very cool, indeed.
I really dig the groove and your overall performance.

Re: Watercolor Blues - 11/08/17 04:59 AM

Thank you Scott and Nelson for the listen and the comments!
Posted By: Deej56

Re: Watercolor Blues - 11/09/17 06:14 AM

Hey, Owen,

Just wanted to stop in and say how much I appreciate what you’ve done here. It's not quite my type of tune, but I admire the artistry and what it takes to pull together and perform a song like this. Really well done!

Best regards,

Deej

Re: Watercolor Blues - 11/09/17 09:01 AM

Wow! Thanks very much Deej smile
© 2017 Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards