JPF Home Page
Posted By: JamesE "For Better or For Worse" - 03/18/17 03:26 PM
I had some friends who just couldn't find happiness with each other but refused to part ways for 20-plus years. Sad to watch.

https://soundcloud.com/user-482925652/for-better-or-for-worse

For Better or For Worse

They pledged their love forever, standing well within god’s sight
After dearly beloved, all they do is fight
Compromise is a foreign word neither understands,
Anger is the glue that holds this woman to this man.

Chorus

Fences draped in barbed wire, walls of jagged glass,
They built them high around their hearts so neither one could pass
When they speak of wedding vows it’s though they were a curse
Living in their misery, for better or for worse

Nothing blocks the doorway out, yet neither one will leave
As happily ever after grows much harder to believe
Pointed fingers dripping with such venom and such blame
They wrap themselves in jealousy, they wrap themselves in pain

Chorus

The children helped to bring a truce, of course it didn’t last
In love and war although you try you can’t out run your past.
Now broken dreams are strewn across their manicured front lawn
Despite the fatal wounds to both the battle rages on.

Chorus
Posted By: Sunset Poet Re: "For Better or For Worse" - 03/18/17 04:11 PM
I always look forward to what you write and the way that you come at it.

"Fences draped in barbed wire, walls of jagged glass,
They built them high around their hearts so neither one could pass"

That really gets your point across quickly and graphically.

I think that I knew the same couple. I knew them for 22 years and they were married for 24 in what I can only describe as a stalemated psycholgical death grip. They also inspired me to write a song that is along the same lines. If you care to listen....

https://soundcloud.com/user-560839147/10-west-sunset-6-let-s-talk-again-in-heaven

Also...I like your pic on SoundCloud a lot. My personal opinion is that the highlights are too bright and it would be mood-ier if they were dimmed. If you like, send me the pic and I'll PShop it. Freeby. If you don't like what I do...throw it away. martinjamesband@gmail.com

Back on point. Nice writing. smile

ps...one little lyric suggestion...."living in their misery for better or for worse" might align better and still echo the phrase as "living in misery, not for better, but for worse."
Posted By: JamesE Re: "For Better or For Worse" - 03/18/17 06:51 PM
Howdy Martin,

Thanks for the kind input. I LOVE "Let's Talk Again In Heaven". I swear you MUST have known the same people as I. Very, very poignant song. As for the picture, that's just something i "borrowed" from some website.
Posted By: Deej56 Re: "For Better or For Worse" - 03/19/17 04:44 AM
JamesE,

This is a sweet sounding song--sad, but really well done. Agree with Martin the first two lines of the chorus--brilliantly written. The little I can add--assuming you are open to taking suggestions--is to think about tense in the first verse. For example, should the second line read, "After dearly beloved, all they DID WAS fight"? BTW, ". . . strewn across their manicured front lawn"--nice stuff.
Posted By: JamesE Re: "For Better or For Worse" - 03/19/17 09:34 AM
Deej56, many thanks. About tense, I guess I say "Do" because they are still married and all they do is fight. My wife and I can't figure these two out. Sad as hell, and No I won't be playing this for them. As for the "manicured front" lawn, he is a grounds-keeper and has the perfect lawn, and he is much BIGGER than me.
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards