JPF Home Page
Posted By: NicholasSpoonerRodie Over the Hill - 11/21/15 06:38 AM
Hey guys,
This is a song I recorded a while back but never posted. Let me know what you think!

Over The Hill

Lyrics
Its a little warmer over the hill
Not many traveler come our
But its all so lonely here
Like I know they say

Night here are darker under our sky
But the stars shine all night
and I know
I know its not for everyone

Its a simple song but means a lot to me. Please feel free to hit me up with suggestions, as I'm still very new to songwritting.

Thank you
Posted By: Colin Ward Re: Over the Hill - 11/21/15 03:08 PM
A nice ambient piece. Needless to say the lyrics are lost in reverb so if you want them to be understood, you need to lose most of the reverb and bring the vox up, but that may not be what you want.
Posted By: NicholasSpoonerRodie Re: Over the Hill - 11/21/15 04:10 PM
Thanks Collin, I'd like to record the vocals again so I'll try bringing them up in the mix.
Posted By: Jimmy Fleming Re: Over the Hill - 11/21/15 11:22 PM
Nicely written and performed song ... I can't make suggestions on the recording process because I'm still very much a novice ... keep up the good work!!
Posted By: NicholasSpoonerRodie Re: Over the Hill - 11/22/15 01:27 AM
Thank you very much!
Posted By: Dave Rice (D) Re: Over the Hill - 11/27/15 08:27 PM
Welcome to JPF, Nick:

It is a beautiful ambient melody and works well on it's own merits. Maybe a flute or other wind instrument here and there to liven it up. On the other hand... if it's going to be a song, Colin said it best. Good luck with this and your musical endeavors. ----Dave
Posted By: NicholasSpoonerRodie Re: Over the Hill - 11/29/15 08:22 AM
Thank you dave, I like your idea of livening it up!
Posted By: Michael Zaneski Re: Over the Hill - 11/29/15 10:30 PM
Hi Nick,

You share qualities with one of my music heroes, Nick Drake--the beautiful picking and the soft spoken tongue. This would sound right at home on "Five Leaves Left" --as is. This is delicate, beautiful work, and as a pure recording that shows no bias towards the legibility of the sung words, it's perfect sounding, to me.

Him and John Martyn--you and he share that jazzy, lazy kind of phrasing and have thick texture-y voices you both use as pure instruments.

I also love how it sounds like the acoustics are mostly provided by a real room, and I love how the room is a bit of a resonant "drone box" in that it's punching up the levels on key droning notes.

I also love the sparse use of some wind instruments, they blend well and are perfectly placed.

I understand what you are doing here, and I love it.

Mike

Posted By: NicholasSpoonerRodie Re: Over the Hill - 11/30/15 10:42 PM
Hey mike,
You nearly brought me to tears with that comment, as you've picked up on the exact sound I was going for. John Martyn and Nick Drake are among my greatest music idols. Thank you so much for your comment.

Nick
Posted By: Ricki E. Bellos Re: Over the Hill - 12/02/15 06:13 PM
A beautiful piece Nick. Your influences are obvious but you make this your own, so well done there.

While the lyrics are probably not as important in this as is the overall feeling, a little more meat in them can only make this better. With only 8 lines to work with, every one of them needs to blow the listener away.

Looking forward to hearing more of your work.

Ricki
Posted By: NicholasSpoonerRodie Re: Over the Hill - 12/02/15 08:26 PM
Hey Ricki,

Thank you for the suggestion, I completely agree, the lyrics could use some work. For me, this song is very metaphorical and describes a period of my life rather than a physical place. So In adding to the lyrics, I'd like to make this connection a little more clear to listeners.

Nick
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards