JPF Home Page
Posted By: DonnaMarilyn Welcome at the Shady Saviour - 08/22/15 09:39 PM
Another one to which Mike Zaneski has applied his plethora of skills.

We're both very happy with the result. Just want to share it - so NOT looking for critique. smile

I love that Mike has been able to interpret the intimate atmosphere that I tried to convey in the lyric.

Note; We'll soon have a version with female vocals as well.

Background: In the 50-90 Challenge 2 years ago, the Muse tool threw out the title 'welcome at the shady saviour'. It immediately brought to mind a little pub/bar I often pass on my way into the centre of town. The door is usually open, revealing the dark interior, the men and women, the rituals. I took poetic licence and renamed the bar. wink

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13193908

Lyric & melody: Donna Devine

Welcome at the 'Shady Saviour'

V1
Holy is the straining laughter
Holy are the searching eyes
Holy is the prize they're after
Holy are the hopeful lies

Chorus
Everyone's welcome at the 'Shady Saviour'
A bar on the far edge of town
A shifting shape of a room
An underworld of the lovely
Where lonely, restless flowers
Come to [the Saviour to] bloom

V2
Blesséd are the hands that touch you
Blesséd is the wine you sip
Blesséd are the words you utter
Blesséd are the stranger's lips

Chorus

Bridge
The longings are simple
They burn with clarity
A little faith, a little hope
A little charity

Chorus

© 2013-2015 Donna Devine
Posted By: Travis david Re: Welcome at the Shady Saviour - 08/22/15 10:13 PM
A film noir feel to it D&M, really liked this one, can almost see the blue smoke rising which in reality would have me coughing but you get the picture.
Best of luck with it
Travis
Posted By: L. James Tanner Re: Welcome at the Shady Saviour - 08/22/15 10:36 PM
Not my genre but I like it. I really liked the transition from the verses to the chorus. A subtle but sudden change in chords and key. Engaging lyric Donna. Good work all.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Welcome at the Shady Saviour - 08/23/15 12:26 AM
A very pleasant listen, Donna. It has a "sweetness" to it (that's a good thing)...

Michael, your vocal on this is very engaging.

Nice work, y'all...

fj
Posted By: DonnaMarilyn Re: Welcome at the Shady Saviour - 08/23/15 08:35 PM
Travis, James, and Floyd. I appreciate you listening and commenting.
Thank you. smile

Donna
Posted By: Dave Rice (D) Re: Welcome at the Shady Saviour - 08/23/15 11:36 PM
Hi Donna:

You certainly wrote a Gem of a song... and hired a Gem of a Demo Artist in Mike Zaneski. It's classified as Jazz on SoundClick but it could be Pop, Americana or whatever Genre "adopts it."

Great words, fantastic vocal and melody... this thing is pitchable... and I hope to hear it playing soon. Reminds me a little of a "Hotel California" theme and I can think of several artists or groups who might jump at the chance to record this thing. Enjoyed so much, ----Dave
Posted By: lane1777 Re: Welcome at the Shady Saviour - 08/24/15 01:27 AM
I like it Donna and Mike, not my genre either but this works. lots of variation in the lyric and music. good listen, and work. Lane
Posted By: Little_stevie_b Re: Welcome at the Shady Saviour - 08/24/15 05:04 AM
Sounds good, Donna and Michael. The light percussion Michael used was a nice touch and the performance/production was cinematic in essence.

Steve
Posted By: Michael Zaneski Re: Welcome at the Shady Saviour - 08/24/15 09:36 AM
Travis, James, Floyd, Dave, Lane, and Stevie,

Thanks for listening and commenting. Donna has compassionate eyes and ears, and that's one reason why why she's such a good writer. For instance, we look and see a "bar" whereas she looks and sees so much more--and that's a beautiful thing. smile

It makes me very happy to know I've captured that mood, to some extent, in setting her music.

Mike

Posted By: Vicarn Re: Welcome at the Shady Saviour - 08/24/15 02:06 PM
Not sure what genre this is. Mike, you probably invented a new one.

The title draws you in for a listen and it's a very smooth arrangement.
When it got to the last line of the chorus I wondered what it would sound like omitting what is in brackets and just singing:
"Come ...... to bloom" similar to the Everly Brothers singing "Devoted ...... to you".

Vic
Posted By: Jimmy Fleming Re: Welcome at the Shady Saviour - 08/24/15 04:22 PM
Nicely written, arranged, and performed ... great job!
Posted By: E Swartz Re: Welcome at the Shady Saviour - 08/24/15 04:34 PM
Donna/Michael,

Unique song, I think it's produced/performed quite well. Nice job all, good luck with this!

steady-eddie.
Posted By: DonnaMarilyn Re: Welcome at the Shady Saviour - 08/24/15 07:41 PM
Thank you so much, good people, for your kind comments. I appreciate them. smile

Donna
Posted By: TamsNumber4 Re: Welcome at the Shady Saviour - 08/24/15 07:48 PM
Beautiful vocal dynamics to express this write. Nice backing vox, I love your voice on this....

The music is unexpected and fresh, something we don't get to hear often, nice production.

Great write Donna, love where prompts like that take you...even if it is a place you know.

like these lines:

Posted By: Michael Zaneski Re: Welcome at the Shady Saviour - 08/25/15 11:41 AM
Hi Vic, It probably would sing great, omitting those words. As it turned out, and I'm sure you can relate, once I imagined it with the extra words and heard "how it went" with those extra words--it was hard to hear it any other way. The genre is kind of an older kind of "Americana" from around the early 1900's, where popular music was influenced more by European classical music than say, the blues. You can hear that classical influence in how the bass line moves in scale steps rather than jumping around, using as many thirds as roots, at times. You can hear this kind of style in early Randy Newman records and in most Kate and Anna McGarrigle records, and anything Van Dyke Parks ever did.

Thanks Jimmy, I appreciate you listening and commenting!

Hi Eddie, we were looking to make this sound fresh and a bit different, so I appreciate your saying that.

Hi Tams, thanks..the irony is we made something new sounding by looking deeper into the past, to the early 1900s. I'm glad you enjoyed it; Donna's writing energizes my muse and musicality.

Thanks all..
Mike
Posted By: Janice_and_Bud Re: Welcome at the Shady Saviour - 08/25/15 04:33 PM
Somebody mentioned "film noir" and from our listen that is a very apt description.
It's all been articulated: great write, vocals, arrangement and production. The mix sounds stellar and it breathes!

Very nice.

J&B
Posted By: DonnaMarilyn Re: Welcome at the Shady Saviour - 08/25/15 07:55 PM
Tams, I'm thrilled you enjoyed this, and especially those lines you mention. smile

Janice & Bud, a huge thanks for your lovely comments. smile

Donna
Posted By: Michael LeBlanc Re: Welcome at the Shady Saviour - 08/25/15 08:17 PM
So many goodies in this one from start to finish.Such a top notch job you two!Mike
Love the originality Mike & Donna! It was a pleasure listening. Even the singing was original! 5 thumbs up! Oh, I only have two thumbs.

Best, John wink
Posted By: DonnaMarilyn Re: Welcome at the Shady Saviour - 08/27/15 06:54 PM
Thanks so much, Mike. smile

And John, I'm delighted that you enjoyed this. Yeah, it's original for sure. wink

Donna
Posted By: Lisa Gundling Re: Welcome at the Shady Saviour - 08/30/15 05:43 PM
Hi Donna and Michael,

Really different, really cool song!
It does sound cinematic, but not full-on, so it's ready for our radios too!
I love the mystery in it ... kind of like the mystery of "Hotel California" -- very intriguing!

Lisa

Posted By: Michael Zaneski Re: Welcome at the Shady Saviour - 09/01/15 09:38 AM
Lisa, John, Michael L, Janice and Bud,

Thanks so much. It was a pleasure fleshing this out, as Donna's lyric and vocal melody really spoke to me.

Mike
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards