JPF Home Page
Posted By: lane1777 Heard of a man [ a shot at Gospel] - 04/30/15 05:14 AM
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13111242

this is really just a work track, still hammering on it. this is what I call the "Pot throw it all in and give it a stir. thought I`d see what people thought of it before I go on. don`t know if its ok to stick lyric here, I threw them in.

I wanted to write something in this genre but I didn`t want to preach, or have it to dark.. so I kept this kinda in the center of the road [so to speak] I don`t know if this even qualifies as gospel.

again the melody and voice is me, I`m not pretty..thats a warning

I thought maybe a small musical bridge in this would work.

:22
heard of a man
head bent and bleeding
heard of a man..
seen all there is ever going to be.
heard of a man
forgive all others
I have heard of a man
that could set you free.

Chorus:
He said ..I don`t have very much time
brothers watch with me.
I don`t have very much time
my Father is calling me.
1:25
heard of a man
changed up the water
heard of a man
that could walk on the sea.
heard of a man
says you have to believe.
heard of a man..and He has heard of me.

Chorus:
brothers watch with me.
I do not have much time
my Father is calling me.

music bridge..

Chorus: 2:46
..I don`t have very much time
brothers watch with me.
I don`t have very much time
they are going to crucify me.

tag: 3:07
heard of a man....

this is the 30sec track with changes calvin,Stevie O gave me..
https://soundcloud.com/lane1777/heard-of-a-man-me-4-clip

next I`ll try it with and "he knows me. at the end of the song.

© Copyright 2015 Vincent. All Rights Reserved.
Posted By: TuiGorge Re: Heard of a man [ a shot at Gospel] - 04/30/15 08:27 AM
Hey Lane. I love this! A nice dramatic touch to it all.
I'm not great on the technicals but the voice seems a bit too trebly
I like the backing and the energy. Cheers.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Heard of a man [ a shot at Gospel] - 04/30/15 12:50 PM
Hello Lane,

Nicely done.
Where does the music come from ?
and just curious...what effects are on your vocals.

I think the lyric works and I REALLY think this part is great....

brothers watch for me.

heard of a man..and He has heard of me.

Calvin

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/calvinstewart
Posted By: Lisa Gundling Re: Heard of a man [ a shot at Gospel] - 04/30/15 06:29 PM
Hi Lane,

Very COOL Gospel song!
I was looking up different types of Gospel music and it seems like this would fall under Urban/Contemporary Gospel.

Lisa
Posted By: lane1777 Re: Heard of a man [ a shot at Gospel] - 04/30/15 06:53 PM
Hi TuiGorge, I really did want it to be serious song the voice that's me will likely change, I just sing enough to let people know where I`m going with the song. I think it gives them a better shot at the lyric...but that's me..thank you for taking time to give this a listen.

Hi Calvin! hope all is good in your world. g`s Cal I track a melody, add what I want as far as lead and have a friend that takes it and cleans it up. sends it back and I have this old amp"
"two china mics, one in front of the amp and one in front of me...the whole mess is plugged into a laptop. I have good equipment I don`t have it hooked up...lol to lazy I guess, half a turn in my chair..flip a switch and its on. thank you Calvin for taking time to comment and adding the comment..Lane

Hi Lisa, thanks for the info, I have heard of all kinds of Christian music, One of my concerns is if people will understand the lyric, and if it was enough to even be in this genre. thanks Lisa for taking time to look up that bit of info and sharing it, and commenting. have a great day. Lane
Posted By: swestern Re: Heard of a man [ a shot at Gospel] - 04/30/15 08:24 PM
Hi Lane,
I enjoyed your foray into Gospel. Just me, but I would like to see you end it with "and he has heard of me". I think that was a very powerful line and it deserves to be re-stated.
Good luck with this,
Skip
hey Lane,i really like this!That organ is killer.Mighty fine job.Mike
Posted By: Travis david Re: Heard of a man [ a shot at Gospel] - 05/01/15 10:35 AM
A good gospel song Lane, enjoyed the listen.Perhaps include the lyrics with the link too?
Travis
Good stuff here, Lane. Definitely not the run of the mill modern Contemporary Christian which is good IMO. Not cookie cutter at all. Musically interesting and a good lyric. A couple ideas to ponder on the lyric. Instead of Brothers watch for me how about Brothers watch with me. I assume you're in the Garden the night of His betrayal and He did say "Could you not watch with me one hour, as they had all fallen asleep.? I also think the ending would be more powerful if you ended with the line And He knows me.

Other than those two suggestions, you have a great song going on here.

Stevie

Posted By: lane1777 Re: Heard of a man [ a shot at Gospel] - 05/01/15 04:32 PM
thank you Swestern for stopping in and commenting
that can be done very esay, this was the second time I tried to sing this.
after I have the changes in it I`ll bring it back. Lane

Hi Michael..hope all is good with you,.
and thank you for commenting, and taking the time to listen. Lane

Hi Travis, I thought I did,
it was a first effort, so I was in a strange house...lol
hey ..nice job on "The Note..I have to go back to it and
ask a question I didn`t. have a great day Travis. Lane

Hi Little_stevie_b, thank you for the comment, means a lot.
those changes can be done so easy, and most the time I do
change the lyric.that makes sense to me, and there is a couple of
other changes coming.

"And He knows me." much better here.....and "Brothers watch with me." that makes more sense.
thanks again Stevie for your input. Lane
Hi Lane, I'm no gospel expert but you make your point very clear and give it a nice edge with the bluesy music. When/if you do have someone re-sing this, don't let them pretty it up too much. For me, it's more powerful sounding a little rough around the edges. Very cool.

Ricki
Posted By: lane1777 Re: Heard of a man [ a shot at Gospel] - 05/04/15 07:40 PM
thank you Ricki, I`m going to make the changes in this and try it myself once more, and bring it back once more so I can give people a second shot at it with the changes. thanks so much for stopping and commenting. Lane
Posted By: Caroline Re: Heard of a man [ a shot at Gospel] - 05/04/15 11:15 PM
Can't listen til I get new speakers but LOVE the lyric!
Posted By: GocartMoz Re: Heard of a man [ a shot at Gospel] - 05/05/15 02:45 AM
Totally agree with Michael. The organ is what seas the deal on this one for me. Very well done. Enjoyed it much. Thx for posting. I would say your foray into gospel was successful.

Dave
Posted By: Dave Rice (D) Re: Heard of a man [ a shot at Gospel] - 05/05/15 03:33 PM
Mornin' Lane:

It is a great "first foray" into Gospel. Loved the backing melody and instruments. You obviously have a great vocal quality but when and if you re-record the song, do your best to increase the volume of the vocal to stand out higher than the music.

This could be "tweaked" into just about any form of Gospel and I'd love to hear what BB King would do with it... or (if he was still above ground) Johnny Cash. (Two different styles but both capable of great Gospel vocal and playing ability.)

Thanks for sharing. Best of luck with it. ---Dave
Posted By: lane1777 Re: Heard of a man [ a shot at Gospel] - 05/06/15 04:38 AM
Hi Dave!, I didn`t know what to do with this exactly so I made it busy, kept this thing plowing for 3mins...lol o`god Dave the voice I`m not used to singing on these songs just a bit to let people know what I`m thinking of. Had to push this a little bit because of the music, I`ll try to lead in this the second time.

BB or Cash would be a great singer in this, both soulful singers, and 180 from each other, your right. thank you Dave for listening, and commenting.
Posted By: E Swartz Re: Heard of a man [ a shot at Gospel] - 05/06/15 03:29 PM
Lane,

Loved this! I'm sure this one will stay with me throughout the day--pulls you in nicely. Like Dave said the music relationship between the guitar and organ here are fantastic.

I think with this Christian Blues song, you don't need a Bridge, I'd let the guitar handle all breaks--blues songs demonstrate instrumentation IMO. One area that may be a bit weak is the transition between verse to chorus, as the chorus kind of happens quietly and could use more lift. I'd experiment with either a PC line or maybe just a building musical short interlude as a PC. Then, attack the chorus a bit more passionately.

This is a great song IMO, you sound a little like Willie Nelson to me. This song would fit many vocal styles actually. Nice work!

steady-eddie.
Posted By: lane1777 Re: Heard of a man [ a shot at Gospel] - 05/07/15 04:25 PM
I think it would fit many too eddie, have a couple of friends that tried it, they are not to bad. I`m going to leave the music the way it is and make some small changes. thank you eddie for listening and commenting...Lane

some of the changes are made now, small track on this at the [bottom]
Lane,

Off the bat, I'm captivated by your voice, which is a combination of Lee Hazelwood and Willie Nelson, to my ears.

Next I notice the mix, which has the vocals a bit in the background and the lead guitar too hot. Easily fixed. This is rough as you say.

The music and lyric are really good. No line hits me as being out of place or not good.

You phrase the title line in several ways, some of which work really well, others less so. I'm sure you'll have that all tight in the end.

A bridge could work. The verses are mostly B minor, the chorus utilizes a nice E major to A major lick. A bridge might go to the 4 chord (G major) , since it's pretty much left out otherwise. Lyric wise, you could go further, saying that you need to meet him, like..your life depends on it, or something..

This will be nice when it all comes together!

Mike

Posted By: TKO Re: Heard of a man [ a shot at Gospel] - 05/10/15 05:41 PM
If this is your first shot, Lane, I think you've done well for yourself. Love the bluesy feel and tone of your voice. Perhaps the vocal could be a little more out in front, but other than that, I really enjoyed the tune and your performance. Very nice job! -TK
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards