JPF Home Page
Posted By: PopTodd "Break My Heart" (finished song) - 04/03/15 06:30 PM
Just wanted to post this here because I'm proud of it. Kinda punk-ish power pop with lots of guitars and a sticky hook.
https://hoponpop.bandcamp.com/track/break-my-heart

Please keep in mind that it is done. I know that most, if not all of you would do something different with it. And, actually there was still something that I wanted to change, arrangement-wise, but it was time for me to let it go.

Hope you check it out and like it.
And, by the way, it is a free download if you do (or even if you don't).
Thanks!
Posted By: Nelson Re: "Break My Heart" (finished song) - 04/03/15 07:25 PM
Chocked full of goodies.
Cool riffs and solos and excellent vocals and harmonies.

Energetic arrangement keeps it rolling along at a nice clip.

Well Done

All the best with it, Todd.

Posted By: PopTodd Re: "Break My Heart" (finished song) - 04/03/15 08:29 PM
Thank you, Nelson! I really appreciate it.
Posted By: Kevin Emmrich Re: "Break My Heart" (finished song) - 04/03/15 08:43 PM
Nice sound and fun, infectious beat (back from when infectious was able to have a positive connotation!) I thought maybe the backing was too "dense" for the vocals, but it grew on me as the song went along. Nice lead -- did you ever get that tele you were lusting after?

Good song.
Posted By: Charlie2015 Re: "Break My Heart" (finished song) - 04/03/15 08:48 PM
I hear a few out of tune notes in vocals, but who really cares, it's rock n roll.

It;s a really great high energy indie track. College radio would eat it up.

That minor section and the hand claps are fantastic. Emotional and energetic guitar solo coming out.

Kind or reminds me a bit of REM or The Cure.

Actually there is a band you maybe not have heard of called the AV club, it;s indie pop just like this.

Great track man, stop hiding these!
Posted By: PopTodd Re: "Break My Heart" (finished song) - 04/03/15 08:58 PM
Kevin: yes I did get that Tele -- I'm using it for my rhythm part. But my Strat (with a Chandler Hot Rails pickup) is still the Rock Machine in my arsenal and I had to use that one for the solo.
If you want to hear what it sounds like on a lead, I have a song with that great Tele twang right here:
https://hoponpop.bandcamp.com/track/the-key-3

Charlie: I've heard of The AV Club, actually, but I have not yet heard their music. Should probably check them out.

Thanks to both of you! I really appreciate your checking it out and your feedback.

PS - Handclaps are the funnest things to record. Ever.
Posted By: Charlie2015 Re: "Break My Heart" (finished song) - 04/03/15 09:03 PM
you should send them this song, it sounds just like them lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1zagYTb8fY
Posted By: PopTodd Re: "Break My Heart" (finished song) - 04/03/15 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by Charlie2015
you should send them this song, it sounds just like them lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1zagYTb8fY

This is pure power pop.
Right off, it reminds me of "Another Girl, Another Planet" by The Only Ones. But then it goes off and changes a bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKuc3faQAEs
Posted By: Charlie2015 Re: "Break My Heart" (finished song) - 04/03/15 10:19 PM
it does sound like the same lead singer for sure lol

Ear to the speaker is a good one by av too. Girl from mars, and
a funny tune called "please stop stealing my car"

Lets not hijack the thread though
Posted By: PeteG Re: "Break My Heart" (finished song) - 04/04/15 03:29 AM
You were really rocking out on this one with lots of great little touches to keep it fresh. I liked your hook and development of the lyric to give it a new positive meaning. Everything seemed right on and radio ready.
Posted By: PopTodd Re: "Break My Heart" (finished song) - 04/04/15 05:53 PM
Thanks, Pete!
Posted By: kmaquilan2000 Re: "Break My Heart" (finished song) - 04/05/15 09:47 AM
Hi Todd,

I love the vibe on this track. Nice work!

Thanks,

Karen
Posted By: Dave Rice (D) Re: "Break My Heart" (finished song) - 04/06/15 03:58 PM
Hi Pop:

It worked for me. No nits and I wish you the best with moving it to the charts.

Dave
Posted By: PopTodd Re: "Break My Heart" (finished song) - 04/06/15 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by Dave Rice
Hi Pop:

It worked for me. No nits and I wish you the best with moving it to the charts.

Dave

Thanks, Dave!
"Moving it to the charts."
grin
We'll see if the dice fall that way. Just got its first airplay on Friday on a low-power college radio station. Only sent it to one other (local) station for consideration.
It would take a miracle (or the work of some other, much lower power) to get it there, methinks.

And thank you, as well, k for listening.
Posted By: PopTodd Re: "Break My Heart" (finished song) - 10/31/16 09:27 PM
Bumping this just because there is a song in the forum called "Break Your Heart" and I thought it would be fun to have this one right up there next to it!
Posted By: L. James Tanner Re: "Break My Heart" (finished song) - 10/31/16 09:40 PM
Good driving energetic song. Really like this a lot. Dig the lyric and concept too. Kudos on a job well done!
Posted By: PopTodd Re: "Break My Heart" (finished song) - 10/31/16 09:45 PM
Thanks!
Posted By: Tom Franz Re: "Break My Heart" (finished song) - 11/01/16 08:05 AM
Todd,
I remember this song. Shocked I don't see a comment by me on this string. Because it's my kind of music. My music never comes out like this but in my mind this is the type of song I would like to write.
Well done. I'm envious.
Tom
Posted By: PopTodd Re: "Break My Heart" (finished song) - 11/01/16 02:40 PM
Thank you so much Tom!
Yeah, this is one of those rare songs of mine that, each time I listen to it, I am completely happy with the way that it turned out. That doesn't happen often; maybe once or twice before in my 25 years of making music.
I appreciate your ear and your appreciation! wink
Thanks so much... again!
Posted By: Ricki E. Bellos Re: "Break My Heart" (finished song) - 11/01/16 05:22 PM
Lots of energy and a nice lyric twist at the end. Well done, Todd. Now go write another one! smile

Ricki
Posted By: PopTodd Re: "Break My Heart" (finished song) - 11/01/16 05:28 PM
Thanks, Ricki!
I'm trying!
Posted By: Travis david Re: "Break My Heart" (finished song) - 11/02/16 05:31 PM
Yes infectious as someone commented.A great beauty meaty sound Todd
Travis
Posted By: PopTodd Re: "Break My Heart" (finished song) - 11/02/16 05:32 PM
Thanks, Travis!
Posted By: Lynn Orloff Re: "Break My Heart" (finished song) - 11/20/16 12:11 AM
This has such a vintage feel and is VERY GOOD!!!! No make it GREAT!!!!!

If you ever saw the movie "That Thing You Do" this song would've been a perfect fit!!! BTW if you haven't seen the movie, watch it, it's so good. It might even inspire you to write more songs in that vein. I love retro and this to me goes there!!!! WOW!!! Thanks for sharing Pop!!!

Best,
Lynn smile
2 THUMBS UP!!!
Break My Heart might Break The Charts!!!!
Posted By: Lynn Orloff Re: "Break My Heart" (finished song) - 11/20/16 12:21 AM
I JUST WANT TO ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO CHECK OUT POP'S OTHER SONG "I DO" which is no 10 on his song list. love I keep telling Pop it is a winner!! I never forgot that song. I visualize couples slow dancing at a dance hall back in time. LOVE IT!!!! love
Posted By: PopTodd Re: "Break My Heart" (finished song) - 11/20/16 04:42 PM
Thank you so much, Lynn! For both of your comments!
Posted By: E Swartz Re: "Break My Heart" (finished song) - 11/20/16 05:17 PM
Hi Todd,

I like what someone called this "power-pop," neat term and appropriate. Nice work!

steady-eddie.
Posted By: PopTodd Re: "Break My Heart" (finished song) - 11/20/16 09:40 PM
Thanks so much Eddie!
Posted By: BenJones Re: "Break My Heart" (finished song) - 01/04/17 02:19 AM
Such a cool groove, so rock n roll, downer lyric, upbeat music.

Enjoyed
Posted By: PopTodd Re: "Break My Heart" (finished song) - 01/04/17 06:25 PM
Thank you, Ben!
Posted By: Little_stevie_b Re: "Break My Heart" (finished song) - 01/06/17 09:26 AM
My kind of music, Todd. Very catchy tune.

Stevie
Posted By: PopTodd Re: "Break My Heart" (finished song) - 01/06/17 09:24 PM
Thanks, Stevie!
Posted By: Fdemetrio Re: "Break My Heart" (finished song) - 05/29/18 05:04 PM
Great jangle pop song. Indie rocker. Not sure why songs like this don't get more listens and reviews.

Those ooohhhs could be a smidge louder, but this is right up there in that category
Posted By: PopTodd Re: "Break My Heart" (finished song) - 05/29/18 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by Fdemetrio
Great jangle pop song. Indie rocker. Not sure why songs like this don't get more listens and reviews.

Those ooohhhs could be a smidge louder, but this is right up there in that category

Thanks so much! Surprised to see this one come back up to the top of the forum, but I really appreciate your feedback and am glad that you enjoyed it.
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards