JPF Home Page
Posted By: maccharles when the river's high - 07/06/14 02:52 AM
song a week for life #87:

http://maccharles.bandcamp.com/track/when-the-rivers-high

https://soundcloud.com/mac-charles/when-the-rivers-high
Posted By: Calvin Re: when the river's high - 07/06/14 04:09 AM
You have a beautiful piece of work here !

Calvin

http://www.soundclick.com/0/bands/calvinstewart
Posted By: Dave Rice (D) Re: when the river's high - 07/06/14 04:22 AM
Hi Mac:

Now that's a beautiful, well performed song. Let's hope somebody with influence in the biz also likes it. Keep 'em coming.

Dave
Posted By: 9ne Re: when the river's high - 07/06/14 04:58 AM
What you really, have here is some lovely ideas that aren't joined to make a cohesive statement. It's very difficult to grab someone's attention at the start of a song so it doesn't sound like a million others. (something to think about)
The chorus doesn't relate to the verse or at least you haven't shown how it does. This seems more like a collection of ideas, rather than a well thought out song.

There are TWO very,very, good lines:
1) I civilize my bourbon with a glass
2) I can hear it in the things you never say

Soooo...needs work, but nothing your ability can't handle; best of luck!
-Mike
Posted By: E Swartz Re: when the river's high - 07/06/14 05:05 AM
Hey Mac!

I loved the 70's, put me in the mind of early Crosby/Stills/Nash. Nice job, loved the melody/mood. I'm listening while having a glass of cabernet--perfect fit for my mood!

steady-eddie.
Posted By: avweek Re: when the river's high - 07/06/14 06:17 AM
This kind of song is right down my alley. Really cool vibe, kind of ethereal overall. It's something you can just sit back and listen to with your eyes closed. Good stuff! Looking forward to hearing more

Kyle
Posted By: maccharles Re: when the river's high - 07/06/14 08:30 AM
Calvin,

glad you liked it, thanks for the spin.

Dave,

your kind review is greatly appreciated, thanks for listening.
Posted By: Mackie H. Re: when the river's high - 07/06/14 03:35 PM
Mac--

Nice laid back song--Had to listen a couple of times--You are getting there!

Mackie
Posted By: maccharles Re: when the river's high - 07/06/14 03:55 PM
Mike,
I thought it was pretty clear, a couple love each other and what she longs for is beyond his means, so it ends up being a "some day we'll get away from all this" number.........written and recorded in two days, maybe something clearer could have come to mind given more time.....ahh well, off to #88....thanks for the spin.

Eddie,

there's that 70's thing again, ha ha......I guess I don't mind that at all, thanks for the kind review.

Posted By: maccharles Re: when the river's high - 07/06/14 03:57 PM
Kyle,

I'm glad you liked it, thanks for the listen. smile

Mackie,

I sure hope so......thanks for taking a minute to spin this one.
Posted By: Bill Osofsky Re: when the river's high - 07/06/14 05:14 PM
Great tune, Mac. I love "I civilize my bourbon with a glass"

Bill
Posted By: iggyiggy Re: when the river's high - 07/06/14 05:49 PM
Hi,
I like the "time standing still" feel of the groove... a lot of steven stills influence. Nice turns of phrase indicating a lot more than is being said. Your lyrics always have an ability to drag a lot of context in with the counterpoint of what you are actually saying.... a rare thoughtful quality and a masterful use of language.
I didn't like the reverby pads in the background. I think the immediacy of the song would have been enhanced by a drier acoustic and vox mix without sacrificing the "suspended" vibe. Really enjoyed the tune!
Posted By: Michael LeBlanc Re: when the river's high - 07/06/14 07:59 PM
cool song Mac!I really like this acoustic side of you.It don't matter how civilized bourbon is,it always gets me wild.Mike
Posted By: maccharles Re: when the river's high - 07/06/14 09:32 PM
Bill,

thanks for the spin, glad liked it.
Posted By: maccharles Re: when the river's high - 07/06/14 09:35 PM
Iggy,

funny how everyone always thinks my guitar swells are synth pads, that's a good thing, as it's meant to give that effect because I rarely play keys, I'm sure this would be fine without it....but I tried to convey a "relief"...or..."escape"....through the chorus. Thanks for listening.
Posted By: Vicarn Re: when the river's high - 07/07/14 12:15 AM
Nicely written Mac and I get the message ok.
I must have liked it because it seemed too short.
Vic
Posted By: John Lawrence Schick Re: when the river's high - 07/07/14 12:37 AM
Nice work Mac! Easy going with dreamscape lyrics.

Best, John smile
Posted By: onehandsomedog Re: when the river's high - 07/07/14 01:59 AM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the bass notes with those chords... adds a real sense of longing! the mellow, 'dreamy' guitar is also exactly what it needed. If you ever do a 'remix' of this one, I vote for a piano playing those chords/bass underneath the acoustic. And the "civilize my bourbon with a glass" Holy crap that's a great line... 13 more until the party wink
Peace,
Aaron
Posted By: maccharles Re: when the river's high - 07/07/14 02:29 AM
Michael,

I'm with you on the bourbon, thanks for the spin.

Vic,

too short?....that's good, because my slow numbers are always long ha ha...thanks for the props. smile
Posted By: maccharles Re: when the river's high - 07/07/14 04:02 AM
John,

thank you, sir........
Posted By: floyd jane Re: when the river's high - 07/07/14 04:55 PM
mac,

it never ceases to amaze me how big and full your productions sound with so few instruments. the percussive acoustic is excellent.

a joy to listen to. so musical. why you aren't selling millions is a mystery and a shame...

loved the song.

I become a bigger fan with each release...

floyd
Posted By: maccharles Re: when the river's high - 07/07/14 06:16 PM
Aaron,

piano bas?....interesting idea, I might try that on this one at a later date. Thanks for the love......party at 100?......woot, you bring the bourbon and I'll bring the civilized glasses.

Floyd,

may not be a million I'm selling, but I still consider myself blessed with my meager musical living thus far.....at least I'm doing what I was born to do and not having to dig ditches.....thanks for the props. smile
Posted By: Tom W. Re: when the river's high - 07/08/14 01:21 AM
I had just finished listening to one of my old Eagles CD's before sitting down to hear some new music here. I felt like I was still hearing Glen Frey and company while listening to your song. That's about the highest compliment I can hand out because they have hands down been my favorite band since I was a kid. Great sound. Awesome harmonies really put it over the top. Thanks for sharing!

Tom
Posted By: maccharles Re: when the river's high - 07/08/14 05:34 AM
Tom,

high praise indeed, an eagles comparison is a new one for me, thanks for the spin. smile
Posted By: Ricki E. Bellos Re: when the river's high - 07/08/14 07:28 PM
Gave me goosebumps and made me cry. Way to go... smile

Ricki
Posted By: maccharles Re: when the river's high - 07/09/14 12:41 AM
Ricki,

goosebumps and tears?.....I don't know whether to feel good or bad about that, it made my sweetheart cry too.......I'll take that as being a good thing? thanks for the listen.
Posted By: BonzaiWag Re: when the river's high - 08/30/14 01:05 AM
Seriously, Mac...this is the best piece of music I have yet heard on JPF! Spectacular!
Posted By: maccharles Re: when the river's high - 08/30/14 02:35 AM
Differenz,

whoa, I thought this tune had run it's course.......thanks for the kind words.
Posted By: BonzaiWag Re: when the river's high - 08/30/14 09:21 AM
Yah. I'm just hearing it for the first time. I've seen people tear it down and try to build it back up...then go over to their music and see they don't have the faintest clue. YOU .....my friend.....YOU know what you are doing. People critique your song because they have to. THAT....is foolish...Okay. I have spoken my mind. Now let's see what trouble I get into...lol...
Posted By: maccharles Re: when the river's high - 08/31/14 02:48 AM
I appreciate the thoughts.
Posted By: Louis Re: when the river's high - 08/31/14 02:55 AM
Good stuff, love the lyrics in the chorus. smile
Posted By: Jan Petter Re: when the river's high - 08/31/14 11:41 AM
I really enjoyed the listen and performance .
Keep up the good work !
All the best
Jan
Posted By: Kevin Emmrich Re: when the river's high - 08/31/14 02:30 PM
Super fine piece. Love the guitar work and that line "I civilize my bourbon with a glass" is mighty cool. Yea, the harmonies make it seem like a CSNY tune. I haven't done enough writing this summer, I gotta get back in the swing.

Good stuff.
Posted By: Wendy D Re: when the river's high - 08/31/14 07:25 PM
This might be my favorite of yours. The music captures the distance between reality and dreams in a very palpable way. Loved the harmonies and of course the bourbon/glass line. Very nice!
Posted By: Andy Kemp Re: when the river's high - 08/31/14 07:30 PM
Nothing wrong with this man. Just a really lovely track that's recorded and mixed with a lot of taste.

Really love the vocal and the volume swells (can't beat a nice volume swell)

Andy

Good luck with the song a week for life.
Posted By: maccharles Re: when the river's high - 09/02/14 01:16 AM
louis,

thanks for the listen.
Posted By: maccharles Re: when the river's high - 09/02/14 01:16 AM
Jan,

glad you liked it. smile
Posted By: maccharles Re: when the river's high - 09/02/14 01:17 AM
Kevin,

thank you, sir......and yes.......get to work!!!!
Posted By: maccharles Re: when the river's high - 09/02/14 01:18 AM
Wendy,

nice to know someone picked up on the two sided coin here, thanks for the spin.
Posted By: maccharles Re: when the river's high - 09/02/14 01:19 AM
Andy,

thanks for the spin, this song seems to be enjoying a bit of a resurgence as of late.
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards