JPF Home Page
Posted By: NaomiSue Album Art - 12/09/09 09:05 PM
Ok I'm doing some album art on 4 different projects. I've never done anything like this so I don't know how much to charge. They're very difficult projects any help is greatly appreciated.
Posted By: Rick Heenan Re: Album Art - 12/09/09 10:44 PM
Keep track of your time and material investment. If the entire artistic idea is yours, add 50% more to the total. If the customer has given you direction, reduce the percentage appropriately.

The hard part is figuring out what your time is worth to you. If you have overhead to consider etc. Be honest about it, but don't undersell yourself either. Be negotiable.

I do a little bit of this myself. Most of the time I get stuff done in less than an hour. And most of the time I give them away. On the rare occasions when someone wants to pay me, I use this formula. I've actually been paid more than I've asked for a couple of times, which helps me to determine what to charge.

Posted By: Joe Wrabek (D) Re: Album Art - 12/09/09 11:06 PM
Naomi, I charge by the hour as well, and it's a pretty low rate (I don't know what $25 an hour translates into where you're at), but I'm fast at it. I've done enough of it so I can guesstimate pretty good how much time it's going to take me do something, so I can give the customer a not-to-exceed price--and that gives me an incentive to work faster and more efficiently.

I usually double the amount it's going to cost me, rather than add 50%. And I will warn the customer that I charge double for doing grunt work they could have done themselves--that encourages *them* to be more efficient.

And like Rick, I don't do it for a living any more--but I still do it, mostly as favors and gifts for people. Got to keep my hand in so the skills don't atrophy.

What you're doing sounds like lots of fun. Best of luck with it.

Joe
Posted By: NaomiSue Re: Album Art - 12/10/09 06:08 PM
Thank you Joe and Rick, I work pretty fast at this as well but this guy wanted A LOT of stuff done lol. I priced him out at about $20 an hour since this was my first time doing album art, and I've kept him in the loop the whole way to make sure he's on board with everything I'm doing. I put about 8 hours into it which is the longest project I've ever done, but I'm happy with the work and he's happy with the work and the price. He's also bringing me more business in so if I can make a living out of this heck yeah, because I love doing it. Thanks for commenting, and helping me out.

Naomi Sue
Posted By: BIG JIM MERRILEES Re: Album Art - 12/10/09 08:00 PM
I do not think there is a set price for anything....LOL

A service is only worth what people are prepared to pay....Common sense should prevail. Negotiate till both parties are happy. One word of warning...if it is a business proposition make sure you do not sell yourself short and out of pocket. Be professional at all times. Communication is key in any business venture. Make sure the customers needs are fully understood and met and keep the customer informed regularily so they can approve each stage as things progress. It is easier to make minor adjustments to existing work as you go rather than have to backtrack or redo the whole thing back to the drawing board scenario.
Posted By: niteshift (D) Re: Album Art - 12/10/09 08:25 PM
Hey Naomi,

A charge rate of $20-25 an hour is reasonable. In fact very reasonable. Always keep in mind the relationship. If you feel you're workng with decent people, of limited means, and it propels you foward, then it's worth while to set a lower quote. If it's strictly commercial business, set a higher one, they can afford it.

cheers, niteshift
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards