Originally Posted by Mike Dunbar
John,

What is that stuff? You lost me after "The."

I can't remember; maybe you're normal if you can't read it. laugh

No, that can't be. I don't have any trouble reading it. crazy

John cool
Originally Posted by Colin Ward
Wehre's yuor spelclhekcer?

I guess that's the point Colin. We put entirely too much importance on spelling. laugh

John cool
Well, WHAT-EEVR , I readit jusst fine.....glny
neB .ti dear nac I
Wow John,

What frightens me is that I had no problem reading that. Hmmmmm.
This is also why you can often read a street sign from a long distance away. You might not be able to make out the individual letters, but you recognize the grouping.

Midnite
Wow!

I read right through it too.

Geneva
No problem reading it, here. I'm not prepared to be normal, though. This comes as a bit of a shock. ;-)
Fascinatin' Readin', John! The only line that gave me Problemos was the OPENER... Maybe 'cuz I don't like reading sentences in ALL CAPS...?

I think the Distractive Power of a SINGLE Misspelled Word is also kinda-incredible, too...to those who CAN spell.

Real Interestin' Paragraph there, Amigo~

Bset Whices,
Stan
Hey John

Yup I ahve no prbolme dceepring the msseeage.

Lynman
Thanks John

Hah, this Aussie girl isn't so dumb after all, smile YIPEE! whistle

Michele
Well, that only works if you already know what the words are. If those same researchers had used a lot of uncommon words that are not in the average reader's vocabulary, the reader wouldn't have a clue. The brain is so fast that it will sift through stored knowledge of various words and also the context in which they are used to decode the words.
aixelsyD selur KO.
You got it Jim. Dyslexics of the world untie!
Srue, you can raed the esay wrdos but how auobt tehse: seotrgenivy, disouagbiamtin, armaoelite, naliufliction, parlembe, aitdotnmisrain?
Originally Posted by Jean Bullock
Srue, you can raed the esay wrdos but how auobt tehse: seotrgenivy, disouagbiamtin, armaoelite, naliufliction, parlembe, aitdotnmisrain?

Wow, I thought this was a FAMILY forum! blush
Funny; I think what's even more interesting is how many people opened this thread to check to see if they're normal. laugh I guess that's normal. Now all we have to do is define "normal". crazy

Best, John smile
The difference is those words you listed are not in any context or gestalt that we can get clues from... let me choose one of your words (as written) and place it in the same type of context as the example...

If you crafily ylerousf tehn you pevnert the need for disouagbiamtin.

I bet most folks get that quickly now, even though it's not exactly a common word... your final word (which is more common) will be grasped even more quickly...

The piredesnt aponitepd a new mbmere of his aitdotnmisrain yadtresey.
Originally Posted by Jean Bullock
Well, that only works if you already know what the words are. If those same researchers had used a lot of uncommon words that are not in the average reader's vocabulary, the reader wouldn't have a clue. The brain is so fast that it will sift through stored knowledge of various words and also the context in which they are used to decode the words.

Yes, I agree Jean; this premise necessitates familiarity of words and reasonable sentence structure as IdeaMan pointed out.

John smile
Originally Posted by IdeaGuy
The difference is those words you listed are not in any context or gestalt that we can get clues from... let me choose one of your words (as written) and place it in the same type of context as the example...

If you crafily ylerousf tehn you pevnert the need for disouagbiamtin.

I bet most folks get that quickly now, even though it's not exactly a common word... your final word (which is more common) will be grasped even more quickly...

The piredesnt aponitepd new mbmeres of his

My point exactly. Guess you didn't read my first post up there.

LOL, the wolhe tinhg is a haox, aywany. Raed tihs:

http://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/people/matt.davis/cmabridge/index.html
Interesting Jean,
Gosh, I didn't expect to laren anything this morning before BREAKFAST <G>
Wy
Jean you quoted me in between edits... oh well no biggie... I wouldn't say it was a hoax... the basic facts of the situation remain the same... just some disambiguation laugh happening there to clarify details... grin
Great job, IdeaGuy! LOL, now unscramble the other words. (If I hadn't scrambled them myself, I probably wouldn't be able to figure them out.)
I don't know where this idea originated. I saved it quite awhile ago. Whatever its origin, I found it interesting.

I wouldn't call it a hoax. It obviously achieves its premise, within certain limitations.

John smile

seotrgenivy, disouagbiamtin, armaoelite, naliufliction, parlembe, aitdotnmisrain

Sovereignty, disambiguation, ameliorate, nullification, preamble, administration
AWESOME!
Yeah Jean--Greg,
But what about us people that ain't all that smart?
<G>
Wy
http://www.ssynth.co.uk/~gay/anagram.html blush

You don't gotta be all that smart Wy grin
Well, now, THAT really makes me feel good Greg <G>
Maybe I could get Jean to teach me stuff, but she's prob'ly tired of school teaching for awhile <G<
Wy
Didja know:
Yes! as we speak! The English Langugage has just aquired it's one millionth word. Reported on CNN. The English Language is a combination of several languages has the most words at least that is what they are reporting.

I hope that is right, rite, wright, ah what's the use.....
Originally Posted by John Lawrence Schick
Originally Posted by Colin Ward
Wehre's yuor spelclhekcer?

I guess that's the point Colin. We put entirely too much importance on spelling...

Know We Dnot! I haet it wehn peepul cant sphel gud. It Buggs me.
All of which is good for me since I am a terrible speller.

Tom
This is not a hoax. Kids use a similar technique all the time when texting. The less letters and words used the cheaper the text is to send.
CU@8 ETC ETC.

The brain recognises the patterns and context of letters and not so much the words. You get to expect what the next word is when a thing is in context it is only when something is new or unexpected that this rule fails.
I understnad all taht sutff. You cna undrestnad taht sutff nad stlil not be nromal.

joe
I question the normality of everyone involved in this thread. grin
John, my thoughts exactly! crazy
Hey, I knew I wasn't (amn't?) normal. I'm just happy to have so much company.

Joe
Easy to read. Almost too easy...
Haha that is actually pretty cool, was able to read it all. Interesting study
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards