JPF Home Page
Thanks to everyone at JPFolks who delved deeper into the world of Zydeco and Cajun music to vote in this Grammy category's first year. There were a total of 32 submissions that were accepted in the category, which yielded 7 nominees (7 rather than 5 due to a tie). THANKS to EVERYONE who submitted their CDs - that is the key to keeping a category open and successful.

Congratulations to all of the nominees, and congratulations to Terrance Simien and the Zydeco Experience for the Grammy!! Terrance and the band opened the pre-tel show with an outstanding performance (Mardi Gras beads included, of course) - and then later won the Grammy. (If you were there and heard that "AIIIEEEEE!!!!!" between the words "Live" and "Worldwide" right after "and the Grammy goes to...." ummm....that was me. blush) Hey...my music partner-in-crime / Blue Merlot / B & B on the Rock partner Joshua Murrell mixed and mastered and co-produced that CD! Dang! I was sitting next to a Grammy winner!

It's great to see some of Louisiana's favorite music genres being discovered by people beyond our state. In the course of this year's Grammies, I feel Louisiana's music has been spread to many, many people. And it works both ways! I know that I've learned about music genres - Polka, Hawaiian, Native American, to name a few! - and found music I wouldn't have found otherwise.

So, whether you voted for Terrance or not, you have my thanks, and our thanks, for taking the time to listen, to explore, and to care.

Laissez les bon temps rouller, mes amis, et n'arettez pas la musique!
Brenda, you all need to hook up with my favorite Zydeco band from Cincy Robin Lacy and Dezydeco, together the two of you would rule! www.robinlacy.com
Congratulations Brenda! Wish we could have met. I was there too!

aloha,
Daniel
Thanks, Daniel, and congratulations! I'd like to think I'll be back in L. A. next year - so I'll look forward to meeting you then. I didn't get a chance to post a response to Ande's "who's going" query on jpf - my plans were up in the air for a while, and once they were confirmed, I was busy packing!

But what fun. Dang! It only happens once a year!

Bob - thanks to Robin and DeZydeco for getting involved with hurricane relief. It is still very much needed, and thank God for people who (still!!) care.

Brenda
I got to see Terrence this summer at The Red River Revel. He's wonderful! The only performer I know that can sing, play the accordion, work an audience and throw Mardi Gras beads out into the crowd with his toes.

By the way, Brenda. If you ever get up my way (near Shreveport) give me a shout. I'd love to meet you.
Hi Brenda,

Congrats to your friends. With Daniel winning again and your friends, I think JPF is making a difference, especially in the smaller categories that don't get as much world wide attention. We are glad to have multiple nominees in the new Cajun/Zydeco category and hopefully going forward they'll look at adding some additional smaller niche categories. In the meantime, we've long supported that genre and others. I hope your friends will enter their stuff into the new JPF Awards as well.

Brian
Hi, Brenda,

I've been a huge fan of Zydeco and Cajun music for years, so I was THRILLED to finally see it recognized at the Grammy Awards.
I have a guitarist friend who played with Clifton Chenier for years, and I rememebr the first time I heard this type of music...I couldn't stop dancing smile

Emily
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards