JPF Home Page
Hi Everyone,

I am considering going to the Gospel Music Association's Seminar in Estes Park Colorado this summer (see www.gospelmusic.org ) and I was curious if anyone from JPF was going or had gone before. It is a bit expensive so I am trying to justify going in spite of the $385 registration fee, which doesn't even include housing or airfair. I hear though that many well known CCM artists were "discovered" there. Please let me know if you are planning on going or if you have gone before, what you thought of the experience. I think it would be alot of fun if a bunch of us from JPF went. We could be each other's fans for the week!

Marla
www.marlareid.com
Hi Marla.

Just bumping this back up. I registered yesterday. It is an educational week and the lodging fees at the YMCA are very reasonable and include your meals. The sooner you register the cheaper the rates. April 29, TODAY, is the last day to lock in one cheaper rate with the GMA. Then there is a new deadline for savings.
Of course, Seminar in the Rockies is in my own backyard. [Linked Image] I went 2 years ago. Great for education, getting to know some of the people in the business, getting your name out there mostly IF you place in any contests. But, don't expect to pitch your cds, demoes although they do have limited spots to sign up for for critiques.
True story: At the last session I went to 2 years ago, the professional, who had been given cds by people, was on his way to the airport immediately following the session. Before he left, he confessed he was going to throw them in the garbage at the airport because he simply didn't have time to listen and asked if any of us wanted them. I felt sorry for one person who realized their cd was one of those. Giving the pros a cd during this week spells: amatuer.
It is fascinating to listen in to the contests and get the professional perspective.

Vondelle
Hi Vondelle,

We will definately have to plan on meeting each other there! I went ahead and signed up after I emailed Tammy Edwards (JPF CCM artist of the year) and she told me how great it was. Thanks for mentioning the fact that any CD's I bring may be tossed. I will most likely only give them to someone who asks. I will bring a bunch anyway. I need to go with the attitude that it is more of an educational trip than anything else. That way, I won't leave dissapointed. It is true that the price for lodging is great. You are lucky that you live close by though. I am having to shell out a few hundred for air fare and transportation.

So, do you write primarily Christian/Gospel music? Are you going to be entering any of the competitions? Songwriting or vocal?

Keep me posted and I will definately have to get in touch with you before we get there so we can plan on meeting at some point. :-)

Marla
Hello again, Marla.

I am planning on entering 2-3 songs in the song contests. I look forward to hearing from you and seeing you there.

Vondelle
Anyone else going????
We would love to go but it is too expensive for what we can afford now...unfortunately is always like that...I hope you all have a great time...love and God bless... [Linked Image]

------------------
And..."Don't give up, give Love"..:)

Briggitte...JBLOVE smile
JBLOVE at IUMA
JBLOVE at Mp3.com
JBLOVE at Soundclick
JBLOVE at Songramp
Hi Briggitte,

Yep, It is totally expensive. I was not planning on going but thanks to God (and my parents) I am able to. It almost seems like this is the major event for the Christian music industry. I have spent far more on recording expenses over the past couple of years and getting the music into the right hands is the most difficult challenge of all. Perhaps this will help a bit. But, like Vondelle already pointed out, I just may be yet another CD that isn't listened to. The good side of it all is that I am able to write off all of the expenses on my taxes. So, it is a tax deductable vacation! [Linked Image]

What is most unfortunate to me is that the cost of this week keeps so many people from being a part which gives an unfair advantage to those with the money to go. Thats totally unfair and it makes the fact that JPF never charges for enteries and membership seem like the best organization out there. Perhaps it is! :-)

Marla
Well. Maria, I have been thinking about it but it is a lot of cash for me too. I thought if I could find out where the big wigs were staying, it would be cheaper to send flowers and a cd of my songs...Still thinking about it.
www.nerk.com/barry

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Marla:
Hi Everyone,

I am considering going to the Gospel Music Association's Seminar in Estes Park Colorado this summer (see www.gospelmusic.org ) and I was curious if anyone from JPF was going or had gone before. It is a bit expensive so I am trying to justify going in spite of the $385 registration fee, which doesn't even include housing or airfair. I hear though that many well known CCM artists were "discovered" there. Please let me know if you are planning on going or if you have gone before, what you thought of the experience. I think it would be alot of fun if a bunch of us from JPF went. We could be each other's fans for the week!

Marla
www.marlareid.com

</font>
Marla,

It's a great conference, especially if you're in the genre.

An alternative for you might be the conference I run, 2NMC. It's in Nashville, and as you know, we have a lot of gospel music here.

We'll have a lot of the same speakers and Christian/gospel showcases, so check it out. www.2nmc.com has info.

------------------
KR TIP SHEET - Film/TV Music Placement and more...

www.krtipsheet.com
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards