JPF Home Page

FAWM 2018 - starting soon. :)

Posted By: DonnaMarilyn

FAWM 2018 - starting soon. :) - 01/20/18 11:06 AM

It's that time of the New Year again. For a creative escape from the winter doldrums, be sure to check out FAWM (February Album Writing Month). This annual songwriting challenge begins on 1 February and finishes on 1 March.
http://fawm.org
The updated site is open, getting ready for the onslaught of lyrics, instrumentals, songs, and general madness & hilarity.The forums are already active, and folks are chomping at the bit, waiting to get started.

Four weeks of fun, inspiration, craziness, and camaraderie, ending in everyone having new songs, lyrics, or instrumentals, ranging from one to 14 and more. You set your own goal. wink Fourteen pieces of work in 28 days is simply a guideline. Even if you produce only one piece of work, you're a winner. After all, it might be the one piece you wouldn't have created if you hadn't joined us. wink

NOTE: The pieces aren't intended to be 'polished'. It's all about just getting down the bare bones of an idea, whether lyrical or musical. The polishing and revising generally happens after FAWM has ended.

I hope to see some of you there. smile

For more details, here's the official FAWM FAQ link.
http://fawm.org/help/

Donna
Posted By: RonnieDean

Re: FAWM 2018 - starting soon. :) - 01/20/18 05:55 PM

Hey, I have some fragments of lyrical Ideas that well.... there they sit.
This will be a good time to let em off the leash!

Thanks for this. you'll see me there.
Posted By: Kevin Emmrich

Re: FAWM 2018 - starting soon. :) - 01/20/18 08:57 PM

I did my first FAWM in 2008 (missed 2009) so this will be my 10th FAWM. As always, you go into it saying I have no idea how I am going to come up with 14 songs in 28 days -- but once you start, you get swept up in the community and the inspiration.

Some of more favorite tunes have come from something called skirmishes, where you are given a title and have to write and record a song in one hour! Yes, it is impossible, but somehow you do it. Or there are challenges that lead to a song. Two of my favorite challenges are where Donna assigned us a tree (I got the cottonwood) and another where we were assigned a picture (I got a big ole bear). Always fun!

On the community side, the forums are quite active and you comment a lot on other people's song. The great thing is if you comment on other songs, folks come back and comment on yours. It is always nice to know that folks have listened to your song (ha, ha). On the other hand, FAWM is not the place for "in-depth" critiquing and reviews. We are trying to get to 14, so encouragement (the "pat on the back") is the rule de jour.

Join up and be part of the madness.
Posted By: DonnaMarilyn

Re: FAWM 2018 - starting soon. :) - 01/20/18 09:16 PM

RonnieDean, I'm glad you'll join us. smile

Well said, Kevin. smile Funny you mention that Tree challenge. Folks got really into it, and some mighty fine songs were the result (yours included). Earlier today I was thinking I might do another Tree challenge, or a variation thereof.
In any case, I'll definitely be posting a challenge or two.

Donna
© 2020 Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards