JPF Home Page

When you lay your head down to sleep...

Posted By: MidniteBob

When you lay your head down to sleep... - 03/30/17 11:56 PM

....What song would you like to have running through your mind?

There is no wrong answer...

I stumbled onto this one tonight...Jesse Winchester..."That's What Makes You Strong"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yoD-7QpcqI

I hope this ain't too personal of a question....

Midnite
Posted By: Brian Austin Whitney

Re: When you lay your head down to sleep... - 03/31/17 12:48 AM

I have a different one from the awards when I go to sleep and when I wake up and often off and on during any given day. It's not just songs I like, but a random selection from across all genres. This is common during awards years, but even if it's a genre I didn't work on, but happen to hear the nominated songs, they can stick in my head.
Posted By: MidniteBob

Re: When you lay your head down to sleep... - 03/31/17 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Brian Austin Whitney
I have a different one from the awards when I go to sleep and when I wake up and often off and on during any given day. It's not just songs I like, but a random selection from across all genres. This is common during awards years, but even if it's a genre I didn't work on, but happen to hear the nominated songs, they can stick in my head.

Brian?

I hear ya!!!!

During this "Awards Year".....So much music....I fall asleep with music from: Fill in the "blanks" here...

And wake up with another "blank" from a whole different part of the Globe...

Awesomeness!!! But not quite helpful as "Lullabies"..Wouldn't ya say:-)

Midnite

Posted By: Toby Barns

Re: When you lay your head down to sleep... - 04/01/17 05:27 PM

I prefer things to be quiet for sleeping. However, if there is a sound keeping me awake then I might take the absolute heaviest, assaulting, non-stop barrage of some "alternative-metal" album and crank it up, on infinite repeat, so that it drowns out all other sounds!

This does not make for a good, uninterrupted sleep, but at least a little sleep is better than none.

I do not find myself going to that extreme too often though thankfully!

If things are quiet, thus good for sleeping, then I do like nature sounds like flowing water. That can be very calming for sleep.

I like to avoid the ocean sounds though because of the inevitable blowing of a foghorn, or some seagulls screeching which ultimately defeats the purpose!
Posted By: Ray E. Strode

Re: When you lay your head down to sleep... - 04/01/17 06:09 PM

Well If It Helps,
While they are some distance away I can hear birds singing at all hours of the night! No kidding! Every and anything goes thru my mind when I go to bed. Not many of songs however. Maybe a song I am working on.
Posted By: Toby Barns

Re: When you lay your head down to sleep... - 04/01/17 07:00 PM

Yes an overly busy mind can hinder sleep for sure. I do not like to think about song writing when I want a clear mind for sleep.

A few times last summer I woke up with brand new songs in my mind, during that short period when I am still sort of asleep and awake (the process of waking up).

I mean; a lyric verse idea, or chorus, with a melody and chord changes.

So, at least three different occasions, I got up, went straight to a guitar and recording gear, plus something to write on. I poured time into those things and literally had nearly complete songs that were basically identical to what I woke up with in my head.

Of course, it took several days to get the lyrics to be cohesive within a song context. But, I had complete, full, work-tape demos of songs that I really like! And they all were somehow "written" subconsciously during sleep!

That does not happen very often, but when it does I say: "get up and catch those songs before they get away!"
Posted By: Passinwind

Re: When you lay your head down to sleep... - 10/04/17 01:23 PM

Miles Davis' Kind of Blue is very relaxing.
Posted By: Marc Barnette

Re: When you lay your head down to sleep... - 10/04/17 11:29 PM

After dealing with music ALL DAY EVERY DAY, music is the LAST THING I WANT TO HEAR WHEN I LAY DOWN MY HEAD. That's what television is for.

MAB
Posted By: Vicarn

Re: When you lay your head down to sleep... - 10/05/17 12:03 AM

Depends on my mood. Tonight it'll be "Learning to fly".
Posted By: Vicarn

Re: When you lay your head down to sleep... - 10/05/17 12:07 AM

Marc. You need to take a break. Business can drag you down.
Posted By: maccharles

Re: When you lay your head down to sleep... - 10/05/17 02:52 AM

I'm kind of where marc sits on this, but have not owned a tele in eleven years.. ..so....

I'll go with seal 2...... Or anything winter sounding.
© 2017 Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards