JPF Home Page
Posted By: Everett Adams Merry Christmas all. - 12/21/16 04:11 PM
Merry Christmas and a happy New Year to all. All most people say now in Happy Holidays, trying to by pass the reason we celebrate. Businesses are being hypocritical when they will not give credit to the person they are making all the money on.
Posted By: PopTodd Re: Merry Christmas all. - 12/21/16 05:16 PM
While I have no issue with "Merry Christmas," I am Jewish, so I understand the whole "Happy Holidays" thing. There are a LOT of people out there, of different religions, celebrating any number of different holidays that fall right around now.
So, I get it.
There are more than just Christians out there and it's nicer to take that into account.

That said, to those of you who celebrate Christmas: Merry Christmas!
I hope that it's a beautiful one, celebrated with all manner of family and loved ones.

You Jewish folk: Happy Hanukkah!

To African Americans who celebrate: A Joyous Kwanzaa.

All you Pagans: Happy Solstice!!!

And, of course, a Happy New Year to all!
Posted By: PopTodd Re: Merry Christmas all. - 12/21/16 05:17 PM
By the way, not trying to start an argument about this, just showing the other side from somebody who is actually living on that other side.
And... wanting to send my best wishes to all, as well.
Posted By: Ray E. Strode Re: Merry Christmas all. - 12/21/16 05:55 PM
Humm?
Well I have known about Christmas since I was Knee High to a Evergreen Needle. Gosh, doesn't it say somewhere in the Bible, JUDGE NOT, THAT YOU SHALL BE JUDGED? it is a wonderful time of the year to enjoy. I was listening to Public Radio the other day. A listener,a Jewish Lady said even tho she wasn't Christian she enjoyed hearing all the Christmas songs being played. Me too. A long time ago when I was in Japan I bought a set of China in the Exchange, a 12 place setting. But, we did not use it much as there was only a few of us. Well today our family has expanded to where we can use that 12 place set of China! My wife, bless her heart so enjoys cooking for the Holidays. And all the family comes and enjoys it all! Happy whatever everybody!
Posted By: David Gill Re: Merry Christmas all. - 12/21/16 06:00 PM
I wish each and every one of you happiness, joy and prosperity at this time and throughout the remainder of your lives.

Peace,

Dave
Posted By: Dave Rice (D) Re: Merry Christmas all. - 12/21/16 06:45 PM
Merry Christmas, Everyone:

Christian, Jewish, Muslim and those who believe in nothing. Because our nation was founded with the Jamestown Pilgrims who fled religious persecution for being Christians, it was intended to be a Christian Nation with freedom and tolerance to all faiths and individuals. Political Erosion and Modern Marketing have taken our traditions and "The reason for the Season" has been forgotten by many.

No matter your belief, Merry Christmas is not intended to insult or convert non-believers. It is merely an expression of love for our fellow human beings. So... Merry Christmas to all... and to all... Happy New Year.

----Dave
Posted By: Jim Colyer (D) Re: Merry Christmas all. - 12/22/16 12:11 AM
My ex said I didn't believe in Christmas. Now that Trump will be president, maybe I do.

Merry Christmas!
Posted By: TC Perkins Re: Merry Christmas all. - 12/22/16 12:33 AM
Merry Christmas and/or Happy Hanukkah everyone!

And while you're at it, have a Happy New Year, too.

Peace,
TC
Posted By: Brian Austin Whitney Re: Merry Christmas all. - 12/22/16 04:55 AM
Originally Posted by PopTodd
While I have no issue with "Merry Christmas," I am Jewish, so I understand the whole "Happy Holidays" thing. There are a LOT of people out there, of different religions, celebrating any number of different holidays that fall right around now.
So, I get it.
There are more than just Christians out there and it's nicer to take that into account.

That said, to those of you who celebrate Christmas: Merry Christmas!
I hope that it's a beautiful one, celebrated with all manner of family and loved ones.

You Jewish folk: Happy Hanukkah!

Few Have a problem with someone saying Happy (fill in the blank for non Christmas celebration) but when people are told NOT to say the one they believe and instead are forced to say something generic, and in my entire life I have never once seen any other holiday greeting of choice be BANNED by name, whereas Merry Christmas is often specifically banned and singled out clearly, that I have a problem with. Hearing about someone else's celebration isn't a problem, but not being allowed free speech to say your own is a big big problem. Like it or not, the US Government has made this Christian Holiday a federally recognized holiday and they certainly take the days off, Christian or not. In addition, I had a large number of Jewish, Muslim, and Hindu employees, and I can't recall a single complaint from any of them, just as we did not have a problem recognizing their holy days, and I designated my office as a place for Muslim's to pray and accommodated Jewish holiday's and religious observances as well. I never had a request for Kwanzaa related celebration even though a third of my employees were African American (or black as many preferred to be called, just as they called me white and not caucasian). It is typically only politically motivated trolls who say they have a problem, no different than internet trolls (and likely the same people in truth). And for the record, I am not Christian. But my wife is and I celebrate her holiday and wish people who are celebrating Dec 25th a Merry Christmas.

It is time we stop being "offended" by free speech and stop babying little cupcakes with safe spaces where no one will ever disagree with them. Free speech includes all speech, including hate speech, because after all, hate speech is only defined that way by a particular subsection who hates it. Most live and let live, OR more importantly, welcome knowing who the people around you really are. I would much rather a loudmouthed bigot than a quiet secretive one wouldn't you? Know your enemy they're less likely to be able to sneak up on you and stab you in the back.

Merry Christmas to many and happy whatever you're having to the rest!

Posted By: Brian Austin Whitney Re: Merry Christmas all. - 12/22/16 05:00 AM
Originally Posted by Ray E. Strode
Humm?
Well I have known about Christmas since I was Knee High to a Evergreen Needle. Gosh, doesn't it say somewhere in the Bible, JUDGE NOT, THAT YOU SHALL BE JUDGED? it is a wonderful time of the year to enjoy. I was listening to Public Radio the other day. A listener,a Jewish Lady said even tho she wasn't Christian she enjoyed hearing all the Christmas songs being played. Me too. A long time ago when I was in Japan I bought a set of China in the Exchange, a 12 place setting. But, we did not use it much as there was only a few of us. Well today our family has expanded to where we can use that 12 place set of China! My wife, bless her heart so enjoys cooking for the Holidays. And all the family comes and enjoys it all! Happy whatever everybody!

Don't forget many of the most loved songs this time of year were written by Jewish songwriters.
Posted By: Ray E. Strode Re: Merry Christmas all. - 12/22/16 05:26 PM
Well Brian, I forgot, now I remember.
White Christmas, the most popular of all Christmas songs was written by Irving Berlin, Jewish if I'm not mistaken.
Posted By: PopTodd Re: Merry Christmas all. - 12/22/16 06:57 PM
Again:
I am not offended by somebody wishing me a "Merry Christmas."It is well-wishes, after all. And I don't think that most people are offended.
In fact, I think that more folks are offended by being wished a "Happy Holidays."
All I am saying is... don't be offended if somebody does use the more-generic version. They're just trying to be inclusive, is all. Either way... it's well-wishes for a happy season.
Love to you all.
Posted By: PopTodd Re: Merry Christmas all. - 12/22/16 07:02 PM
I mean, all I'm saying is, I don't make a big deal (as a Jew) if somebody wishes me a Merry Christmas. And i don't know too many other of my Jewish friends who do, either. So, therefore, I don't think that anybody else should make a big deal about being wished a "Happy Holidays."
It works both ways, you see.
Live and let live. If somebody wishes you a sincere Happy Holidays, just wish them a Happy whatever without being aggressive about it and move on.
Posted By: Michael LeBlanc Re: Merry Christmas all. - 12/22/16 07:53 PM
Happy Festivus!
Posted By: John Voorpostel Re: Merry Christmas all. - 12/22/16 08:43 PM
Pop Todd--hilarious salute for Jews for Christmas done by SNL several years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOhKQyRAo6k

Posted By: PopTodd Re: Merry Christmas all. - 12/22/16 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by John Voorpostel

I've seen that. It's wonderful.
Posted By: Colin Ward Re: Merry Christmas all. - 12/23/16 12:02 AM
Merry Christmas back to you, Everett and to all the others who are reading. Happy Hanukkah to those who celebrate it too.
Posted By: MidniteBob Re: Merry Christmas all. - 12/24/16 05:54 AM
Originally Posted by PopTodd
Originally Posted by John Voorpostel

I've seen that. It's wonderful.

And let's not forget this from Bob & Doug McKensie from The Great White North"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DTwLqR071M

Midnite

P.S...And this...Don't click it unless your sense of humor is fully engaged...:

"All I want for Christmas is Jews"...A Mariah Carey parody...

http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/2016/12/all-i-want-for-christmas.html
Posted By: MidniteBob Re: Merry Christmas all. - 12/24/16 06:09 AM
Originally Posted by Michael LeBlanc
Happy Festivus!

For the rest of us!!!

Midnite
Posted By: Little_stevie_b Re: Merry Christmas all. - 12/26/16 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by Michael LeBlanc
Happy Festivus!

Which part of Festivus is your favorite, Mike? The airing of grievances or feats of strength?
I'm torn.

Stevie
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards