JPF Home Page
Posted By: Everett Adams Windows 10 - 08/08/15 03:47 PM
Has anyone reserved their free copy of windows 10 yet? I've been getting this prompt to do so, so I did. Free right? I wonder why? Most free things are not always really free. Is there a catch coming? Suspicious? Na I'm not suspicious, just cautious. LOL
Posted By: Colin Ward Re: Windows 10 - 08/08/15 04:16 PM
I don't really expect a catch but I do worry that some of my fancy software is not going to be compatible, at least at first. I detest trying to troubleshoot things that were working just fine before some change occurred.
Posted By: Dave Rice (D) Re: Windows 10 - 08/08/15 05:05 PM
Hi Everett:

I have almost as much distrust for Microsoft, Apple and Google as I do our current Government. Although I've heard plenty of upbeat "hoopla" about Windows 10, remember the disaster that was Windows 8. I would wait a while, let the dust settle and the bugs get fixed before I uploaded the "free" version of Windows 10.

I hear it takes about an hour, is really fast and actually has a "start menu" like Windows 7 and previous versions. When Microsoft stopped supporting Windows XP I was really unhappy. To me, it was the most stable, bug free operating system these cookoos ever patched together. Perfect for music, writing and photography. (Can you tell I'm not a big fan of "Apps?")

Remember, my approach to modern technology has turned me into a dinosaur... and to me, that's not all bad. I hope Windows 10 is a complete success and that it is truly "backward compatible" with all my software, including DOS.

Best wishes, ----Dave
Posted By: John Lawrence Schick Re: Windows 10 - 08/08/15 05:08 PM
Yeah, sometimes upgrades end up downgrades. I'll wait till I hear from users. For the time being, I'm happy with what I have.

John smile
Posted By: Ray E. Strode Re: Windows 10 - 08/08/15 05:46 PM
Well,
A couple of years ago I bought a new computer with Windows 7 because I didn't like all those Icons on Windows 8 that you had to operate with a swipe of your finger or so it seemed. I understand Windows 10 can be set up like the older systems where you still use a mouse. I needed a place to store all my photo files as they weren't printing right in the old computer. So far it is working fine however I don't use it much. If you want to get Windows 10 I would buy a new computer with it installed so you can get used to it rather that installing it on your present computer.
Posted By: summeoyo Re: Windows 10 - 08/08/15 10:17 PM
If you have old printers and other devices that don't have updated drivers available, you may not be able to use them. Some programs may become unavailable as well. If drivers are available, you may also need to pay for upgraded drivers for your devices to be compatible with Windows 10. To simply explain it, Windows 10 is APP based whereas the previous systems were program based.
Posted By: MidniteBob Re: Windows 10 - 08/09/15 12:48 AM
I trust it about as far as I could comfortably spit a rat and refuse to do their guinea pig research/flaw finding for them.

Good luck to anyone adventurous enough to try it.

Midnite
Posted By: Everett Adams Re: Windows 10 - 08/09/15 02:31 PM
The free version is not ready yet. I clicked on to find out if my PC would be compatible with 10, it checked out my PC and said every thing was compatible, printer and all. I'll check with my buddy at the repair shop that I use before downloading it. He usually knows before hand what problems it will cause.
Posted By: Tom Shea Re: Windows 10 - 08/09/15 03:44 PM
I have been waiting for my notice - MS says it can take weeks
Posted By: Rick Norton Re: Windows 10 - 08/11/15 04:51 AM
You don't have to reserve the download. You can download at any time. I've had it for a week. Everything works. Much better than Windows 7 and 8. My computer boots up in about 30 seconds and closes down in about 10 seconds. I haven't tried many of the features, but it works seamlessly whatever I'm doing.
Posted By: John Lawrence Schick Re: Windows 10 - 08/11/15 11:30 AM
I'll wait till Norton catches up with Windows 10. From what I've read, there are still some security holes for Norton users.

John smile
Posted By: Lisa Gundling Re: Windows 10 - 08/11/15 06:34 PM
I read a review from a MAC user who said that Windows 10 feels very MAC-like.
Posted By: Rick Norton Re: Windows 10 - 08/12/15 12:36 AM
It also fixed a bluetooth problem I had with Windows 8.
Posted By: Michael LeBlanc Re: Windows 10 - 08/12/15 12:39 AM
i'll see if my Commodore 64 will upgrade it.
Posted By: Colin Ward Re: Windows 10 - 08/12/15 02:06 PM
Mike, you may have to upgrade to an Apple II.
Posted By: Everett Adams Re: Windows 10 - 08/12/15 04:08 PM
My computer repair man said it looks good to go but advised me to wait a month to see if any serious problem shows up.
Posted By: Dave Rice (D) Re: Windows 10 - 08/12/15 04:19 PM
Doggone, Michael:

I miss my Amiga. That thing was so far ahead of it's time. It came with an unrivaled drawing software called, Deluxe Paint. One of the greatest creations I've used. Intuitive, practical and all made possible by that fantastic Motorola Chip the folks at Apple were wise enough to adopt for the Macintosh.

Rest in Peace, Commodore... the worst managed company in all of Christendom.

Thanks for reminding me. Old men and memories. How's that for a song title?

Dave
Posted By: Michael LeBlanc Re: Windows 10 - 08/12/15 04:30 PM
ha,maybe so Colin.

hi Dave,My sister had one and gave it to me later,i barely remember what it done.I guess my memory is as long as my..well you know.
Posted By: John Lawrence Schick Re: Windows 10 - 08/12/15 04:56 PM
I keep getting notices from Norton saying there are some security issues that they're working on diligently to fix. I'll wait till Norton gives me the go ahead.

John smile
Posted By: Dave Rice (D) Re: Windows 10 - 08/12/15 05:41 PM
Hi John:

I spent about 10 minutes typing a reply to you... and suddenly, the whole damn thing vanished. I think it has something to do with this laptop's cursor pad which is supposed to be disabled so I can use a wireless mouse.

Anyway, I hope Win 10 lives up to it's hype. I also wanted to let you know that Windows provides a free virus protection software package with each legal issue. They seem to have the habit of renaming it with every issue in order to bamboozle the buying public into using Norton or any of those other security packages. I learned this from a tech guy who creates websites for people and repairs computers as a sideline activity to keep the cash register ringing.

Look in your "programs" or "system" folders and see if you can find a Microsoft Security Essentials (or some other name) lurking there. It isn't hard to activate (provided your version of Windows is legal) and does exactly what Norton and the others do... for free!

Best,

----Dave
Posted By: John Voorpostel Re: Windows 10 - 08/12/15 06:03 PM
I've had an update icon in my systems tray for awhile now...running WIN764bit

My issue is compatibility...just like everyone else. So I am waiting for awhile. Not a problem since we have a year or so to decide to take advantage. By then a lot of unknowns will have revealed themselves.

Posted By: Ray E. Strode Re: Windows 10 - 08/12/15 06:14 PM
Dave!,
I have also been typing something into a message board and hit the wrong key and have the whole thing disappear! By not looking where I am typing I think I hit the Alt key instead of the space bar I intended to hit. Sometimes I can recover it but other times no such luck. Just watch where you are typing and you should be OK. Now if could just hit whats-his-name and have him disappear!

P.S. My Server provides a free Program (Norton) so I am pretty safe. They update it on a regular basis.
Posted By: John Lawrence Schick Re: Windows 10 - 08/12/15 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by Dave Rice
Hi John:

I spent about 10 minutes typing a reply to you... and suddenly, the whole damn thing vanished. I think it has something to do with this laptop's cursor pad which is supposed to be disabled so I can use a wireless mouse.

Anyway, I hope Win 10 lives up to it's hype. I also wanted to let you know that Windows provides a free virus protection software package with each legal issue. They seem to have the habit of renaming it with every issue in order to bamboozle the buying public into using Norton or any of those other security packages. I learned this from a tech guy who creates websites for people and repairs computers as a sideline activity to keep the cash register ringing.

Look in your "programs" or "system" folders and see if you can find a Microsoft Security Essentials (or some other name) lurking there. It isn't hard to activate (provided your version of Windows is legal) and does exactly what Norton and the others do... for free!

Best,

----Dave

I'm using Norton 360 at present Dave. I've never had a security issue while using Norton. I'm a little hesitant to switch to other security software.

John smile
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards