JPF Home Page
Associated Press reported that industry revenue is up. The increase is small, but it's a positive sign.

It show the music industry has adapted to the modern world of streaming, downloading, Youtube etc.

They also reported that the war on piracy failed to stem the tide of free music, and that by the time responded by changing their business models, a lot of revenues had been lost...implying they acted too late, hanging on to the old model too long.

They reported revenues were at about 60% of their 1999 peak at about $16.5 billion, up by about $100 million from last year.

Doesn't mean a full turnaround, but a good sign the industry is learning how to monetize the talent using download, streaming, and subscription models

They also noted there is lots of "physical media" but "casual listening" is done via free services.

What this means is that that those who can best engage their fans can continue to sell via physical media and paid services.

It could also mean that, as Brian has pointed out, that the future may very well belong to those who can actively engage a "local" market of a few 10,000 fans and make a comfortable living..

Posted By: Dayson Re: Music industry revenues up marginally- - 02/26/13 11:16 PM
Hi John,

Thanks for posting this positive sign, any movement in this direction is great news.
I just saw a brief news snippet about renewed efforts to crackdown on illegal downloads, something about a six download rule.
Not sure of the details though.
Anyway hope you're having a good one!-Dana
Glad to hear that somebody has increased revenue. Sadly us performers are taking a big hit and it is getting worse each day. Clubs, Theatres and pubs which were until recently successful are closing down left right and centre. Fewer live acts are being put on in places that had live acts several times a month and we are all having to work for less money to get any bookings. Some of my pals who could work four or five gigs a week are getting less than that a month so are giving up and taking on regular jobs to pay bills. One great band I know actually halved their rate and still struggle to get work.
I hear you Jim. My area 40 years ago had enough work for musicians. Every resort, club, bar, etc, wanted "live" bands. I had a steady gig in a house band at one of the big resorts in the Poconos.

Now, the only place I can find a live band is in the Deerhead Inn (famous jazz club in the Poconos). Most use DJ's with recorded music now.

The "live" musician is becoming extinct.

John smile
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards