JPF Home Page
Does anyone know about Socan's Notification Of Live Performance Forms? I use them all the time to claim royalties for live performances of songs from any of the shows I am in. It's important to note that the ticket price has to be $6 or more before you can claim royalties for the songwriters whose songs are performed in your show. Filling out the form, however, is the right and honourable thing to do. My experience has been that others who perform my songs live don't bother to fill the forms out. Basically, they perform the songs, they get paid for their gig and they go home. What's important to note is that filling out the form takes only a few minutes and NOT filling out the form denies the songwriters income that is rightfully theirs. It bothers me to no end that a show's producer will create a show that, without the songs, would not exist. Payment is made by the venue to the producer and performers but because the producer is too lazy (or couldn't care less) to fill out the live notification forms, the songwriters get nothing. Zip! PLEASE...if you perform other people's songs in a venue where the ticket price is $6 or more remember that, without those songs, you would not have a show. Fill out the Notification Of Live Performance Forms. If you get paid for performing the songs, it's only fair that the songwriters get paid for writing them. Like what-his-name with the beard said....we're all in this together.
I wasn't aware of the $6 minimum. Thanks for the information, Duncan.
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards