JPF Home Page
Posted By: Raven Indianapolis showcase - 10/03/02 04:41 PM
I hope I'm not overstepped my authority here but I went ahead and got it okay'd to change our once a month open mic at Utopia to a JP Folks showcase night.

We can go 7:30 to 11:30 or when ever and If you want to have a meeting of some sort before hand that could easily work also.

This is a bar so it will have to be 21 and older. If we find a lot of support from a younger crowd we can see about making some sort of adjustment in the future but for now this is it.

So these are the parameters.

1.) this is primarily for singer songwriters but we will be able to accomadate bands provided we can keep your setup simple

2.) everyone must be over 21

3.) showcases will be 15 minutes for starters and we may adjust that depending on interest.

Email me (Mike) to reserve you spot for the showcase. blaqlily@earthlink.net

I hope to hear from a lot of you the aniversary/tour kickoff was a real hoot.

Let's get this Indianapolis chapter active.

Peace

Mike
Posted By: Linda Whitney Re: Indianapolis showcase - 10/03/02 05:32 PM
Hi Mike,

Yeah! Brian gets back tonight. I'll get with him to see if he has a listing of the members that were signed up for the Indianapolis Showcase. I'll e-mail them with the info. What is the first night? I will post it on the calendar and get the info out.

Anyone else out there up for this!?!

Linda

------------------
Linda Berger
Projects Director
Just Plain Folks
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Raven Re: Indianapolis showcase - 10/03/02 11:51 PM
Our next night is Nov 6 which is of course a Wed.

One other thing this would be a great opportunity to help the uninitiated to become a part of JP folks so if anybody has freinds who are aspiring songwriters/entertainers it would be a great opportunity for them to sign up as this showcase will of course be for JP Folks members only.

1 last thing we have been having very good attendance for the open mics but it has been more people who want to listen than to perform.

Peace

Mike
Posted By: Brian Austin Whitney Re: Indianapolis showcase - 10/04/02 06:35 AM
Mike and Linda,

I just got home tonight from the road and will be heading out again in a couple weeks basically til February (except the holidays). I'll already be in Los Angeles when the Nov 6th date comes up. Since so few folks check the chapter message boards, let's work to get an email list assembled of all the artists we know in the area. Perhaps the first couples shows should be in Roadtrip format where we have more acts doing less songs so we can get folks out and involved? Your thoughts Mike? Another possibility is to have 4-6 featured artists with the rest of the time in open mic format.

Would that work? How many artists are showing up to the open mic?

Brian
Posted By: Raven Re: Indianapolis showcase - 10/04/02 09:13 PM
I've only been getting 2 -3 players per night but we have had a regular 40-50 audience. And I can run it pretty much how I want. I've got a couple of people already who are going to join JP Folks just so they can be eligible. Is there any way to sign people up at the show who may just show up?

Also I'm going to hit the Indy grrl list to promote it.

One other thing. I will probably have a line on a venue that will be all ages friendly in about 2 weeks that we might be able to do every so often depending on interest.

Let me know what you think!

Peace

Mike
Posted By: Linda Whitney Re: Indianapolis showcase - 10/05/02 01:21 AM
Mike...
We could have anyone who is not currently a JPF member sign up at the show, that way they could play. I'll post the date on the calendar as an Indianapolis Showcase for now...we can make changes if necessary. As soon as Brian gets me the Indianapolis List, I will send an e-mail out!

Thanks for your help!
Linda
Posted By: Brian Austin Whitney Re: Indianapolis showcase - 10/05/02 05:38 AM
How about Cath Inc. for a friendly small place to do all ages stuff? Certainly singer-songwriter stuff. Nora is amazingly supportive of JPFolks artists (it seems like nearly every out of town artist that plays there is a member).

Brian
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards