JPF Home Page
Posted By: Brian Austin Whitney Friday, December 7th, 2007 - 12/07/07 01:59 PM
Hi Folks,

I have a question for you.

Imagine yourself 15 years ago. Imagine if you knew then what you know right now. I am not talking about sports scores or world events (where you could make money predicting stuff etc.) but rather what you know about yourself. Don't give a quick answer.. mull it over a bit. When you think you have an answer, post it here. There will be more to this as we go, but that is step one.

Brian
Posted By: Bill Robinson Re: Friday, December 7th, 2007 - 12/07/07 03:56 PM
Interesting
I am not sure why you picked 15 years but that particular time in my life was a bit rough.
I had gone through a couple years of financial ruin, LOL. I lost my business and everything I owned after a little problem with the IRS.
My wife and I had decided to leave Chicago and move to Michigan. We chose Michigan because I had family there. I had no idea that I would ever be interested in Music to the degree that I am today. Had I known then I might have moved to Nashville.

I might be 15 years further along in the process.
Posted By: Bob Cushing Re: Friday, December 7th, 2007 - 12/07/07 09:26 PM
I would have spent less time partying, and more time writing songs, and would have put out a new album every couple of years instead of every 5 years, and I might have recorded my best work at 27 or 28, instead of 42. I wasted valuable shelftime, and wreaked havoc on my body that can't be fixed. I don't regret all the fun I had, but I took it to ridiculous levels of overkill.
I would have chosen a few friends more wisely also.
Posted By: Ethan Re: Friday, December 7th, 2007 - 12/07/07 10:18 PM
I've finally figured out my learning style in recent years. If I could go back, I'd probably have gotten a lot more out of my experiences 15 years ago. smile
Posted By: Mark Kaufman Re: Friday, December 7th, 2007 - 12/07/07 10:22 PM
Honestly...rather than go at life a lot more shrewdly and prudently, chances are I'd try out a whole new set of mistakes.
Posted By: Hummingbird Re: Friday, December 7th, 2007 - 12/08/07 01:10 AM
15 years ago I was miles away from where I am now. I never would have believed I could become who I am today. I was shut down, wounded, full of fear, terrified of life & people, stressed... yearning to be creative, yearning to have music in my life... unable to deal with most social situations. Today, I just came back from my third Road Rally (a great time), I'm a respected voice teacher & artist, I'm not only singing, I'm writing & producing music, and getting deals. I get up every day and live and breathe music all day. My family is healthy and I have friends all over the world. What can get better than that?

Hummin'bird
Posted By: Brian Austin Whitney Re: Friday, December 7th, 2007 - 12/08/07 04:29 AM
Great feedback so far. Can we get a few more of you guys and gals to step up and participate?

Brian
Posted By: ben willis Re: Friday, December 7th, 2007 - 12/08/07 04:53 AM
15 years ago I was training to be a commercial pilot and playing music on the side. I was in a duet with a fiddle player. A group of about 50 Japanese aviation executives were visiting my flight school and we were asked to play for them at a banquet. From then on I became more known for playing music than my flying skills. Six years after graduation I was getting ready for a job as a flight instructor when 911 happened and the school that I was going to work at was effected so I never started the job. I haven't flown since but am currently planning to in the future for recreation. If I had known what I know now I would have spent more time with music and less time and money on aviation. Ben
Posted By: "Tampa Stan" Good (D) Re: Friday, December 7th, 2007 - 12/08/07 06:19 PM
HiDee Brian!
Hmmm...15 years back I was 2, maybe 3 years into a 10-year Songwriting Hiatus. Despite making Friendships/Biz Contacts with Mel Blanc, Ray Calhoun (Gap Band's Drummer) and Producer Bob Monaco, I still had ZERO Songs-Signed/Cut, & my wife was making a 4th trek to L.A. impossible. Had a few "Contacts" in Nashville, as-well, but after about $70K invested, I had $26 to show for about a decade's work. So..I earnestly tried Something Else...Collecting & Restoring Early Electric Fans.

So...15 years later, I've sorta let the Fan Collectin' Slide (at around 1600) & got back into Songwriting 4-5 yrs back. (Guess I'll never learn...eh?) ;-)> Would I ever Change a Thing? Naah!
I'm STILL gonna write a Book about Fans, SOMEDAY...& those babies are already worth about 3X what I paid for 'em all. (La Femme quit pickin' on me for "Those damn Fans" a few years back when I sold one I'd paid $10 for, for $13K.)

I'm at a point in Life where I'm near-retirement on the Day Job..& inside the next 3 years I can put a lot more time, loot, & effort into The Music Biz. I'll of course be 65 then, heh-heh, but what-the-hey, Gramma Moses didn't paint a damn thing 'till she was 85, best I can recollect. George Burns was near-zenith as a Comedian in his 70-80's. I KNOW I can write a Song about ANYTHING...(Tho I'll prolly ALWAYS need a teleprompter to sing any set over 3 songs-worth..heh!)...and, SOMEDAY I'll put the "Tan-Line Band" together & take it on da road.

Should be a Total Hoot, & ya never know, we COULD make some Loot from The Adventure, not that it matters at This Late Date.(Would be Great tho, to gently elbow-La-Femme in the side, a wee-bit.);-)>

Waal, back to the Day-to-Day..& unless we manage to sell off our "Spare House", my life continues to focus on Clock Repairs & Mortgage Payments...with the AMs reserved for Lyrics Postin' (to Maintain Sanity) & Co-Labs-Wanted on Board 3!

Best Wishes to all, & "Live Your Dreams, so you'll at least have Somethin' to Look Back At Besides Nightmares!" ;-)>

Big Hugs,
Ol' Stan
<www.CDBaby.com/TampaStan>
Posted By: Everett Adams Re: Friday, December 7th, 2007 - 12/08/07 06:22 PM
I would have gotten on line quicker and would have had more songs demoed when the price was much lower than what it is now.
Posted By: Iggy Re: Friday, December 7th, 2007 - 12/08/07 08:00 PM
I would have spent more time with my Mom and Dad. Less time on trying to make it “big” in the business world. Take walks with my kids, catch some turtles and bugs, listen to and appreciate my wife more.

The years have taught me to be grateful for the “God given” gifts. Materialistic rewards are always short term and can be easily replaced. Unfortunately special times with friends and family are also short term, but once gone can never be replaced.
Posted By: Herbie Gaines Re: Friday, December 7th, 2007 - 12/08/07 09:47 PM
15 years ago I was working my butt off in a car dealership, not touching my guitar, and was married to a horrible woman, but at least I was making money. Now I'm working hard at morgages, married to a nice woman, playing music alot, but I'm NOT making much money and I'm sliding into the financial abyss. (Jeez, if it isn't one thing, it's another) If I knew what I know now, I'd have changed it ALL.
Posted By: bilalyasin Re: Friday, December 7th, 2007 - 12/08/07 10:37 PM
I would have invested in renewable energy stocks, not Enron!
Posted By: Brian Austin Whitney Re: Friday, December 7th, 2007 - 12/09/07 06:51 AM
Excellent new additions.. still time for some more folks to jump in. Anyone else?

Brian
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards