So my eagle eye scans far and wide
While pleasure I pursue
I swear he’s got his eyes on me
But he aint made no move

God help me, life is too much fun
To stop now and repent
So many things I haven’t done
My money’s hardly spent
Posted By: Paul T Wentworth Re: Till I feel the Devil’s Heat - 09/26/06 04:40 PM
Can I get a witness??
Posted By: Wolvman Re: Till I feel the Devil’s Heat - 09/26/06 05:00 PM
Very very solid Sir, love the Devils' breath thing. Nice and edgy, yet still instructional. Couldn't find any nits for you. Here's one little option:

Some day I’m gonna SENSE
Posted By: Pete Larsen Re: Till I feel the Devil’s Heat - 09/26/06 05:05 PM
Hey Paul,

Everybody one two-oo-oo!

PG&E , nice tune , thanks for bringing it to mind! Wait a minute , maybe that was Grand Funk , one of them utilities...

Yeah Paul , it works for me if I take it from a sarchastic point of view. Thinking the singer really doesn't think that way , but ; sings it out for those who do as an example of their thinking. That right?
Pete
Posted By: Judy Hollier Re: Till I feel the Devil’s Heat - 09/27/06 05:51 AM
Hi Paul. I read all lyrics here every day and I saw this one a few days ago. I've been back to it 2 or 3 times since and that's something I rarely do unless I'm drawn to the words in some way. I can't explain why I love this lyric so much---but I do. Cheers, Judy
Posted By: Linda Sings Re: Till I feel the Devil’s Heat - 09/27/06 08:10 AM
Lotta people live this way--that's the truth.

Good lyric. Very well-written. Sounds like a rocker. Is it?

Linda

------------------
Linda Adams
Read about my novels:
http://www.alyssastory.com
Bits & pieces of music:
www.soundclick.com/lindaadams
Posted By: Philjo Re: Till I feel the Devil’s Heat - 09/27/06 12:28 PM
Hi Paul,
This is a good one. You've rung a few bells here - especially with me.
Well done.
I'm gonna give up drinking, smoking and women - tomorrow!!!
Philip.
I don't have time to comment much...12 hr days been getting in the way...but the title of this reached through my sleepy eyes. Glad I did. It's got some great lines. Only got time to nit a couple things before the shower.

There are a handful of words used here that I wouldn't expect to come from a speaker also liberally using the words "gonna" and "ain't":

"tread" the narrow track
"foresee the circumstance"
"pleasure I pursue"

They seem kind of "authorly", rather than consistent with the POV's conversational "tone" in the rest of the song.

Other than that minor little bit, very nice!
Posted By: Joice Marie Re: Till I feel the Devil’s Heat - 09/27/06 10:12 PM
Hi Paul

I think Michael has a strong point there.

I just have a minor thought

So my eagle eyeS scan (delete s) far and wide.

Definitely an expressive well written piece. Nice work. : ) jm
Posted By: brokenwing Re: Till I feel the Devil’s Heat - 09/28/06 06:58 AM
Paul,
I think you have a song here but you still have to loosen up and let it fly. Sounds kinda mechanicle in a feeling heart sense. Your going to just have to take it all off!
(lol) Hugs

Brokenwing
Posted By: Ben Burton Re: Till I feel the Devil’s Heat - 09/28/06 07:25 AM
Paul,
You're missing an "in" v1 l4.

Aside from that, you got one yodese
"While pleasure I pursue"

The rest is a very good, sarcastically cautionary tale!
Ben
Posted By: Judy Hollier Re: Till I feel the Devil’s Heat - 09/28/06 08:00 AM
Paul, seems the "pleasure" line is causing problems (must admit that's the only line tripped me up while reading). Maybe:
So my eagle eye scans far and wide
While indulging in my pleasure
I swear he’s got his eyes on me
But he hasn't got my measure

Just a thought... what do ya think Ben???
Posted By: Paul T Wentworth Re: Till I feel the Devil’s Heat - 09/28/06 03:56 PM
Hello: All I wanted to let everyone know that I am floored with y'all's interest. I am a little bogged down right now to address each one of ya, but I will shortly.

Just understand how much I appreciate your tuning in and commenting and I am taking all the comments seriously.

Please stop by in a few days and I will have had time to answer y'all.

Regards....Paul

[This message has been edited by Paul T Wentworth (edited 09-28-2006).]
Posted By: Skip Johnson Re: Till I feel the Devil’s Heat - 09/28/06 07:19 PM
Paul,

I read someplace that the best time to repent is the day before you die. This lyric reminds me of the fact that nobody knows when that will be.

The ancient good times boy, King Belshazzar, thought he had the world by the tail till the writing hit the wall in his banquet chamber mid-orgy. He was busy making fun of God and daring the devil and hadn't a clue that was the last thing he'd be doing. Seemed pretty safe inside the walls of triple walled Babylon with enough stores to be spitting down on the heads of the grandchildren of his besiegers. Didn't know he would be dead by morning.

People take their chances. Some are wiser than others. Roll down some hills long enough, then put on the brakes, and you'll find they aren't there anymore.

Keep writing.

Skip
Posted By: Tony Whitehead Re: Till I feel the Devil’s Heat - 09/29/06 05:19 AM
hey paul, I like it. Surprised it sat almost a week without comment.

What I see that stands out as far as needing a fix is your last two lines of your first verse and the third and fourth lines of the chorus. They kinda say the same thing.

I think it would be a stronger lyric if you just focused on the "sinful" ways in the verses and work the devil thing in the chorus.....
Some day I’m gonna feel
The devil’s breath upon my back ...would be good first lines of the chorus.

As always, your song, your call [Linked Image]

Tony

[This message has been edited by TonyW (edited 09-28-2006).]
HiDee Bro Paul!

Kinda side with Rev Skipper on this Baby, Amigo...Singer comes off as a Baddy.

Does feel "Redeemable"...but is too-obviously In NO Hurry.

Do try "A SWEET woman in my bed" ("Another" kinda poisons the guy Instantly..) (K-O-S)

Overall, I like it..yet I admit to bein' Old & Reformed-Enuf that it Overall Bothers Me, too.

Good Luck with it, Amigo~
Big Guy-Hug,
Stan
Posted By: Paul T Wentworth Re: Till I feel the Devil’s Heat - 09/29/06 04:07 PM
Wolv: Thanks for your comments. You pretty much confirmed that is good one fit have a tune put to it. I will be looking at this one among all the mocent recent writes and I hope it will entertain you again. This time as a song.

REGARDS........................Paul
Posted By: Paul T Wentworth Re: Till I feel the Devil’s Heat - 10/02/06 03:19 PM
Pete: Hello! It could be a sarcastic song, I reckon. I like to think of it as a song of self awareness but not enough to want to change the situation. To me this is a human trait we all possess to some degree. Something like eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we all die or som such like. I am totally baffeled regarding your remark on PSE&G and Grand Funk. I liked both groups but still trying to see the relevance. Did they do some sort of Devil songs?

Regards...Paul
Posted By: Pete Larsen Re: Till I feel the Devil’s Heat - 10/02/06 05:57 PM
No Paul,
Not a devil ref. , the song that you reminded me of , went something like:

Can I get a wit-neh-eh-ess
Everybody one two...-oo-oo

And it had a beat to it that was from a fiftes song that sticks in your head

the beat went:

doe-dutt-dah-doe dutt-dah-doe dutt-dah doe-doe

And I can't remember the name of the song or the band that did that oldie , but ; the beat hangs on...no doubt a lot gets lost in translation from music to typewritten words.
Pete
edit:wait a holdit. busted drumbeat rythm bla bla and the beat goes on (something like that)

[This message has been edited by TheGuyWhowouldn'tSignHisN (edited 10-02-2006).]
edit:Found it on napster ; it was Sonny and Cher

[This message has been edited by TheGuyWhowouldn'tSignHisN (edited 10-02-2006).]
Posted By: Two Singers Re: Till I feel the Devil’s Heat - 10/02/06 07:56 PM
Paul,

Like it a lot. I see this as kind of a wake-up call for many of us. For a lot of us, tempting the devil, and hoping that the redemption day doesn't come unexpectedly soon, is all too common of a habit. Can't exclude myself. I read the other nits and suggestions...all seem valid. But, I'm pretty okay with it as is.

Alan

------------------
If I were but half as good as Dawg...I'd be twice as good as most.

Don't take more than your love can buy,
Don't live faster than your angel can fly...
Hal Ketchum

Alan on Soundclick

Alan's Web Site
Posted By: Paul T Wentworth Re: Till I feel the Devil’s Heat - 10/02/06 08:50 PM
Judy: Thanks for reading my lyrics. Its great that you came back that many times. I hope that what i write has something to say. ANd I'm glad that the lyric does not wear out after repeated readings. I guess that means that its got something, but not sure what, and maybe that's a good thing that I don't quite know why they work.

Have a good day

Paul
Posted By: Paul T Wentworth Re: Till I feel the Devil’s Heat - 10/02/06 11:32 PM
Pete: I know that the title of the song was called "Some Kind of Wonderful" I or you can google it to get the group.

Paul
Posted By: Pete Larsen Re: Till I feel the Devil’s Heat - 10/03/06 12:13 AM
Paul,
That would be the Grand Funk part , the one I can't think of has a line of lyrics that goes [Linked Image]well , something like)

whoah oh oo oh whoah oo oh whah oo oh oo

and somewhere a line that sounds like:

dah dut dut dut dut , YEAH!

That one might be a little harder to google , but ; I'll try...
Pete
nope that doesn't google , yahoo , or AOL too good at all...
Posted By: Paul T Wentworth Re: Till I feel the Devil’s Heat - 10/03/06 06:38 PM
Skip: Thanks for checking in here with the Bible references. Sounds like there is a song in there as well and probably somebody has alread written one. I like those old stories apart from my general interest, they seem to be quite ageless in their wisdom.

Have a great day!

Paul
Posted By: Susan Lainey Re: Till I feel the Devil’s Heat - 10/03/06 08:02 PM
Wow Paul, cant wait to hear these words as a song...they're intense to say the least [Linked Image] So this is where you've been hidin', Look out I'm right behind ya LOL Great lyric ..( do I hear a Steve Earle or Chris Issac? in the distance?) Sue
Hi Paul

I'm a little late weighing in on this lyric, though I've been reading the commentary and the lyric for awhile now; trying to figure out what was bothering me, and it finally came to me. The singer doesn't have to feel the devil breathing on his back, cause the devil is already in his heart, seems to me the word devil is being substituted for death, and I'm not quite sure if that makes sense?
Posted By: Paul T Wentworth Re: Till I feel the Devil’s Heat - 10/04/06 03:31 PM
Tony: Thanks for bringing your time to this and thanks for your comments. Yes I see a lot of repetition in this song now that you mention it. I wish I could write something right out of the box cause I am so lazy withe the rewrites---That's not the fun part of this business, but I do get your message and have to ad mit that this one's gonna take some more work. Now I gotta kick my butt and get workin!

Regards

Paul
Posted By: Paul T Wentworth Re: Till I feel the Devil’s Heat - 10/04/06 07:08 PM
Stan: Hey amigo how ah ya?

Yes indeed he is bad and as bothersome as he can be. I guess I could clean him up a bit. But I don't know, he sorta has that irresistable dislikability which is in everyone to little degree. Or at least the part that says: "you know I want to go to heaven and all that, but shoot! look at all the fun there is here on earth. Can you just give me a heads up God when you decide to make an enterance?"

You know that what a lot of folks would but the point I hope is: You aint never gonna get your cake and eat it too. Mighta not made the point strong enough. But I reckon that the character knows the consequences and is willing to take the risk. How many friends you know are like that? Hmmmmm?

As always, have one of them super weather Florida days sir!

Paul
Posted By: Paul T Wentworth Re: Till I feel the Devil’s Heat - 10/07/06 05:53 PM
Alan: Thanks for your interest. Hadn't had a lot of time to answer everyone. Been workin and writin. Finally I got a chance to thankyou. I think it may need a little tweaking here and ther but I think its ready to have some words attached. Stay tuned

Regards...Paul
Posted By: Diane Ewing Re: Till I feel the Devil’s Heat - 10/07/06 09:44 PM
Paul,

Everything is good!! The concept, the
rhyming, the rhythm, the words
and the hook is sensational!

I don't know if you can tell, but I
REALLY like this one!!

Diane
Posted By: Paul T Wentworth Re: Till I feel the Devil’s Heat - 10/09/06 02:13 PM
Sue: Hello. Thanks for stopping by. As you can see by the messages, I am getting fairly good response with this. ANd now you stop by to make it complete. I appreciate your words of encouragement. You have been out there performing so that adds an extra touch of magic to what you are saying. I did record a version of the song that I may postr shortly. I am not completely satisfied withe what I did, mainly casue the vocals were weak. I did it in one take. But it has enough merit to at least post.

It should be posted by end of today at: www.soundclick.com/paultwentworth

Regards....Paul
Posted By: Paul T Wentworth Re: Till I feel the Devil’s Heat - 10/09/06 05:54 PM
I would like to invite all of y'all to listen to the demo debut of Till I Feel the Devil's Heat on: www.soundclick.com/paultwentworth

Thanks for your help on this song

Warm Regards...Paul
Posted By: Paul T Wentworth Re: Till I feel the Devil’s Heat - 10/10/06 04:48 PM
I wanted everyone to know that I responded to about 4 of you and the responses never seemed to have gotten on the board. Don't know why. Sorry bout that.

But the good news is that I have recorded this one and it is on: www.soundclick.com/paultwentworth

Please listen and comment on MP3 site-

Gracias!

Paul
Posted By: Paul T Wentworth Re: Till I feel the Devil’s Heat - 10/11/06 12:07 PM
Joyce:

Thanks for stoping by . You bring a different perspective to what these lyrics seem to be saying. The Devil is already there inside.....Hmmmmm. Yeah I can see that and that's kinda spooky,cause then he's already doomed and he doesn't know it. Real interesting read on this one. I appreciate your contribution. Gonna think on it a bit.

Regards...Paul
Posted By: Paul T Wentworth Re: Till I feel the Devil’s Heat - 10/11/06 12:16 PM
Tony: Wanted to get back with a little more thought on your suggestion. I thought about it and seems to me if I introduced the Devil in chorus (as you suggested) rather than in the first verse (as it is now), It might be more dramatic and surprising,I think. Anyway it is a good suggestion that I want to try some time dow the line. I did do a recording in its original version. If you get a chance, stop by and listen (www.soundclick.com/paultwentworth) This song seems to have legs on it which is very surprising.

Regards....Paul
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards