JPF Home Page
OK...my Mom always said there was no such thing as a stupid question, hope she was right...here goes.

I don't even know where to start. All I know is I love to write and sing. I don't really have the undying desire to sing my songs, just to have SOMEONE sing them. But how do I get them out there to even be heard? I have read so much on here about publishers and demos and what have you that I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. I do realize I first have to get some music to my lyrics..that the tune in my head simply isn't sufficient. After that....I'm in need of some direction.

How do I know who to contact or how in order to get the songs heard?

Thanks!
Bree
Hi Bree, welcome aboard. You've come to the right place for information songwriting.

The first thing you need to understand is that a lyric in itself (however good) is not a song, and that most publishers and A & R reps are only interested in complete songs. They also usually do not accept unsolicited submissions from unknown songwriters.

If you don't write music and/or don't play an instrument, the truth is you are fighting an uphill battle. My strongest recommendations would be:

a) hone your craft. Study lyric writing, get critiques, take classes, whatever you need to do to bring your lyrics to the professional level

b) know that the tune in your head is your music - you don't need a collaborator to create it. You've got it. You just need to find a way to get it into a tangible form. I suggest recording the tune on a tape deck, and finding a local musican who you can hire to help you put some guitar or piano to what you have written (this is not a co-write, it's a work for hire).

c) learn to play either the guitar or the piano (jazz based) well enough that you can understand basic chord progressions. That way you can use a program like Jammer or Band in a Box to create a back-up for your melody & lyric and at least get your song to the work-tape stage for critique

d) if you do collaborate, get everything in writing. Be professional in attitude.

e) attend open mics and other songwriting events in your local area... talk to the singers & musicians... you might find someone willing to include one or more of your songs in their set.

f) if you are serious about pitching your songs to artists & publishers then you will need to get demos of your songs. There are some good resources for that right here on this site. But - please - before you spend one red cent on getting any song demo'd, get it critiqued by people knowledgeable in the industry. Don't waste your cash demoing songs before you know they are commercially viable.

g) Read up on copyrights, publishing, licencing, and the music industry as a whole. Understand and speak the language.

h) And watch out for scams & sharks.

i) never give up.

j) Recognize that songwriting, like any creative art-form, is a process. As you work on it, you improve. You take one step at a time. If you invest the time & energy & passion, you will progress.

Some excellent resources:

"6 Steps to Songwriting Success" - Jason Blume

"The Craft of Lyric Writing" - Sheila Davis

SongU - www.songu.com

"The Craft & the Business of Songwriting" - John Braheny

I hope that helps a little,
cheers
Hummin'bird [Linked Image]

------------------
Vikki Flawith, Canadian Singer/Songwriter & Voice Teacher
'Bird's 'Official Site'
'Bird's MySpace
ZaNy cRaZy 'Bird Blog

'Bird's fledgling *F*O*L*K* CD

[This message has been edited by Hummingbird (edited 10-22-2006).]
Thanks bird, I'll take it all to heart. What you have said is simply the reminder that I have to pick up one of the 4 guitars that reside in my home. They do whisper my name every time I walk past one...I'm just gonna have to make the time.

The other advice...priceless, so thank you. Very much appreciated.

Bree
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards