JPF Home Page
Posted By: iggypop How Do I Move My Catalogue? - 05/03/06 09:07 PM
Hey all you mentor types! I'm a newbie here. So here's da poop...

I run a record label (Big Yellow Hand Records) and publishing company (Wretched Wombat Publishing, ASCAP) from my home in Chicago. I have a huge catalogue of original high quality electronic music, and at the rate I am churning out new stuff, it is getting bigger every week.

I already have albums for sale all over the internet (iTunes, napster, yahoo music, virgin digital, audio lunchbox, msn, rhapsody, musicmatch, etc.) under the industrial band name Steaming Dookies (I know, a crappy joke name that kinda stuck) and a deal for a single that is expected to break into the worldwide club scene this year, but I am looking to make extra dough on the stock music and wallpaper applications that I am missing out on. Nearly every other commercial features similar music, especially car companies. And the CSI TV franchise.

I have a friend who has an agent that gets his songs placed all over TV, wallpaper for theme parks, radio ads, a piece with Tom Cruise on ABC, etc. and he already has more money than he knows what to do with (his day job is lead surgeon at a noted hospital in Wisconsin).

So, my question is, how do I get management and representation without already being financially successful? I am also represented in a limited non-exclusive arrangement with a label out of Nashville that offers little in the way of artist management.

I have tried placing with music houses, but I fear my tunes would be shelved and just sit there, tying up my copyrights, inactive while collecting no revenue.

I will be joining TAXI this summer, so maybe that will help.

Anyway, thanks for your help and support,

Tha iggster....
Posted By: Jody Whitesides Re: How Do I Move My Catalogue? - 05/03/06 11:32 PM
Sounds like you need to ask your buddy the surgeon who's music is getting used and he has an agent. If he's willing to tell you, maybe you could share with us.

Jody

------------------
Music That Makes Your Soul Happy!
www.jodywhitesides.com
Posted By: iggypop Re: How Do I Move My Catalogue? - 05/04/06 08:14 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">If he's willing to tell you, maybe you could share with us.

[/B]</font>

Well, the surgeon / songwriter friend of mine also has been shopping stuff from my catalogue and forwarding me taxi submissions via his publishing company, but I half-suspect he is keeping the good paying offers for himself. He seems a bit obsessed with money, especially making it.

That being said, I really don't rely on him or his manager to find me placement. I just want a connection that has the resources to land good paying gigs as a way of supporting both artist and management. I am not the most business-minded individual, but I do know that the music has its worth and a manager only stands to make more for himself by working hard to get the product out there. I guess what I really need is someone I trust to handle the aspects of the industry that are a bit shadowy to me at present, but can see the paycheck at the end of the tunnel.

------------------
"I refuse to join any club that would have ME as a member!" - Groucho Marx
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards