JPF Home Page
Posted By: Sarco Can I have several distributors? - 07/16/05 11:07 PM
If I get my music distributed by a company can i allow another company to distribute my music? Can i have several companies distribute my music? Thank you.
Posted By: Marty Helly Re: Can I have several distributors? - 07/17/05 04:43 AM
Depends on your contract with the distributor. Most will want an exclusive arrangement, at least within a specific geographic area.

There's no incentive for them to push your music if someone else can also get the sale.

------------------
Marty my new home

If you look at the glass and see it as half full, drink up!
Posted By: Vondelle Re: Can I have several distributors? - 07/17/05 05:25 AM
This is an interesting question. For an indie, if you get a contract with a distributor, can you sell your own cds? What about selling on the internet?
Posted By: Everett Adams Re: Can I have several distributors? - 07/17/05 03:58 PM
I don't see any reason you could not continue selling your own CD personally or through the net.You can sell it on many sites on the net without a conflict of interest,just don't set your price too low at retail,remember the distributor and the retailer has to make a profit.If you set your retail price too low and you have to give discounts to the dist and retailer so they can compete with you,you may end up making little or no profit.
Posted By: Marty Helly Re: Can I have several distributors? - 07/18/05 05:13 AM
It all depends upon your agreement with the distributor. I've seen agreements that require you to buy your own discs from the distributor at their standard wholesale price if you intend to sell them yourself.

The value in agreeing to a distribution contract like that is if the distributor is putting significant effort into promoting and marketing your disk. Obviously if you're the one generating the sales, you don't need a distributor who takes a large share without investing money and effort on your behalf.

------------------
Marty my new home

If you look at the glass and see it as half full, drink up!
Posted By: Everett Adams Re: Can I have several distributors? - 07/19/05 04:32 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Marty Helly:
It all depends upon your agreement with the distributor. I've seen agreements that require you to buy your own discs from the distributor at their standard wholesale price if you intend to sell them yourself.

The value in agreeing to a distribution contract like that is if the distributor is putting significant effort into promoting and marketing your disk. Obviously if you're the one generating the sales, you don't need a distributor who takes a large share without investing money and effort on your behalf.

</font>

The only distributors I've ever dealt with were those that distributed the music to the stores,usually after the artist created a demand for them.I've never known them to do anything to promote them.They just sit back and replentish stock in the stores.For this they collect 20-25% of retail price.You don't get paid until the stores pays them for sales they made,the dist still hold back a percentage in case of returns for what ever reason.They can tie up a lot of your stock and money for a long time while you have to purchase and replentish your stock and pay up front.
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards