JPF Home Page
Posted By: kimberlyoh what to do with a decade of work? - 10/17/01 09:46 PM
I'll try to be quick and simple ... I know a brilliant, educated musician has been writing, recording and producing songs in his own studio for nearly 10 years. Music is his business, not promotion. In the meantime, he just keeps building this huge collection of recorded music -- what's the best way to get it recognized by the right person? Where do I find a list of agents who would listen to some demos?

Thanks for your help,
Kim
I'm not sure if your friend needs a list of agents as much as he needs a list of publishers, which you can start at HALSMUSICGUIDE.COM and also in THE SONGWRITERS MARKET at the local bookstore.

Has your friend played any shows?
Posted By: kimberlyoh Re: what to do with a decade of work? - 10/21/01 10:50 PM
Has your friend played any shows?[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, he has also spent the past ten years performing with various groups, doing solo shows, all at different venues. I just talked to him again about what his goals are, and he doesn't necessarily want to be a big-time performer, but selling one or two songs would be ideal. He certainly has quite the arsenal to work wiith, it sems. Perhaps I could suggest some publishers from the list you mentioned, thanks.

Kim
Sorry for the delay in writing back. Definitely for his songs, he should send the best demos possible, along with lyric sheet & contact info on every piece of material to appopriate publishers.

If he likes to play out, it'd be very cool to just deal with the local club scene.

He may feel fantastic finding new & unusual collaborations with a variety of acts in town, and the region, too!
Posted By: David Hooper Re: what to do with a decade of work? - 01/21/02 12:10 AM
If a tree falls in the forest, and nobody is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

Music is the same way. He needs to get out and make sure that his music gets heard. People aren't just going to come to you. Playing hasn't been enough and it may not be enough in the future, so he needs to make some more opportunities.

Regarding songs, they're not sold, they're licensed. You would do your friend a big service by encouraging him to find out how the business works. He doesn't have to get a MA, but he does need to know the basics.

Remember that you can't make people do things that they don't want to do. If he isn't going to take enough interest in his songs to get out there and work with you, I wouldn't bother. I have seen this happen time and time again and it usually ends up frustrating the person who is trying to help and sometimes it kills the friendship.

dave @ kathode ray

------------------
$100,000/year in the Music Business (Without a Record Label)

Only $19 from www.musicbizbooks.com and Kathode Ray Music!

[This message has been edited by David Hooper (edited 01-20-2002).]
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards