JPF Home Page
Posted By: vlado What next? - 05/09/12 01:26 AM
I`m coming close to finishing my first solo album and I`m wondering what to do next. I`d really like to tour and play my songs live to different audiences as much as possible, but I have no band for these songs and for live gigs I`d really need some partners onstage. Maybe I could actually do most of the songs on my own, but I really feel better when I have someone else to rely on, to share a bit of pressure and to add some magic to my songs. My regular bands music is completely different, what I do solo is a kind of folkie stuff, I`d compare it to Nick Drake`s or Tim Buckley`s music, if it`s not too pretencious to compare myself to those guys. With my regular band we play jazz standards and instrumental jazzy-styled covers of some pop songs, we do it in hotels around my hometown and don`t really move much, + my guitarist just got a baby girl two days ago, no travelling long distance for him any time soon. Another thing is that I wanted to do this singer-songwriter project without the rest of the band anyway, being a bit bored with drums-bass-e.guitar sound, using vibraphone, violine, cello etc. To record the songs I moved to Berlin, my brother lives here for 19 years and we both know a lot of good musicians here and I`ve been helped a lot by many of them to put it all together, but in order to assemble a band, maybe even with some of these people, I`d have to get some serious booking, so that I could move over here completely and start pushing the thing forward. I have no idea yet who to talk to, is it any different here in Europe with the booking business then over the pond at your place? I dont know what really to do with the record either, to offer it around or to start a label myself. Whatever I do booking is essential, so finding someone who`d take me as a support gig for the tour would meen very much to me, I could then get some people together on the bassis of fixed number of gigs, therefor some money. I`m kinda puzzled, I know what I`d like to happen and I can and will work hard and do whatever is possible, but I don`t know what my next move should be... And anyway I first need to do my usual summer hotel gigs to make some money, I`m only writing all of this now cause I`d hate to waste time if there are some moves I can make while I`m still busy with my regular band...
Any ideas?
Posted By: T.Wallace Re: What next? - 09/20/12 07:01 AM
I cannot say if it is different there in Europe than it is here because I don't know what it is really like there....

Here is the plan I have in place when my CD is done (hopefully soon...I miss my family...lol). I intend to pitch my songs at any/every open mic in the region just for facetime, I will go to my local radio stations who support local music and get them to try and play it (we have a program called "Sounds Atlantic" on Sunday mornings that plays only local stuff), Youtube is a great resource either a live video or a actual music video if you have the budget, and approach festiville promoters they are always looking for new filler acts at a reduced rate. Things may take off from there....

I don't know if any of this works for you, or if you already though of this stuff but it is my plan and thought you might get some ideas from it...
Posted By: Jim Colyer (D) Re: What next? - 10/06/12 05:22 AM
You are a long way from Nashville. I am not sure what it is you should do.
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards