JPF Home Page
Posted By: amccarthy It's Too Late - 09/05/02 03:15 AM
Its set to a moderate tempo music, filled with an orchestra of violins, cellos, percussion instruments etc.

'It's Too Late'

V1
Shame on me to take you away from home
Away from the only world you've known
But listen to your heart it tells a tale

[Chorus]
And it's too late to see the light
There's too many feelings here to leave it all behind
I didn't want you to understand
And it's too late to change your mind
In this world gone crazy, you'll see this all in time
I didn't you know you could understand?
Understand

V2
Lately I've been feeling so amiss
(what a shame it all couldn't end tonight)
The iridescent world that you dismiss
(your pretty face keeps fallin)
Look into your eyes I'm so amazed
(your pretty face keeps fallin down)

Cos it's too late to see the light
There's too many feelings here to leave it all behind
I didn't want you to understand
And it's too late to change your mind
In this world gone crazy, you'll see this all in time
Didn't you know you could understand?
Understand
Understand (as the song diminishes)

Written and Produced by Adam McCarthy
© Copyright 2002 - Adam McCarthy
Recorded and Mixed by Adam McCarthy
All rights reserved

[This message has been edited by amccarthy (edited 09-04-2002).]

[This message has been edited by amccarthy (edited 09-05-2002).]
Posted By: beancounter Re: It's Too Late - 09/05/02 03:54 PM
Hi Adam,

Hey not bad...poetic. I don't think it is commercial. Left me wishing for more story details.

Keep writing.

Bean
Posted By: amccarthy Re: It's Too Late - 09/05/02 11:31 PM
Thanks BeanCounter,

Just briefly, what did you mean by 'I don't think it's commericial'? I was unsure by what you mean't.

Thanks again
Posted By: beancounter Re: It's Too Late - 09/05/02 11:51 PM
Hi Adam,

I have no industry knowledge.Just my own opinion here. Commercial to me is something that is immediately appealing. Scenario...wake up in the morning and turn on the radio and hear a song that is immediately understandable...lyrics have to be as understandable as talking to your best friend. Poetic expression is...tough to fathom most of the time...doesn't sell.

Bean
Posted By: amccarthy Re: It's Too Late - 09/06/02 12:24 AM
BeanCounter,
Okay I understand [Linked Image] And a good way of looking at it I suppose. I guess I look at things a little differently, not that I use my opinion in my music ie: I don't deliberately go out of my way and write useless lyrics to a song to support my claim. Umm, I hear a song on the radio and I am captured not by the lyrics, I am never fully just captured by the song ever. I am almost always captured by the way the singer sings the song. Is he expressing his emotion in the song, regardless of what he is singing. If it is a video clip, the expression on his face will generally tell me that this person is in love with this song him/herself. They want you to know that. If you love a song whether it is yours or someone elses you are singing, naturally you will put all your effort into expressing what it is about. And to be honest BC, it could very well be about catching fish on the rocks with ya best mate. I think it is very much about delivery to the audience. I very much appreciate your comments, I understand exactly where you are coming from and its a very valid way of looking at it. I have started work on a new song and I will put your comments into practice as I progress with it. Thanks again BC.

Adam McCarthy
Posted By: beancounter Re: It's Too Late - 09/06/02 05:17 PM
Hi Adam,

How commercial is commercial.Can be stated in dollars. Band A in its lifetime makes $5000 a month avg in pub shows and cd sales. Band B makes $500,000 per year in shows, cd sales,etc. Band B is more commercial. Does Band B have better songs?

Should we be thinking these things when we write songs?

I shouldn't even have mentioned it...lol [Linked Image]
Get real good at writing lyrics FIRST,then think about $ (if and when) would be the best approach I guess

Bean

[This message has been edited by beancounter (edited 09-06-2002).]
Posted By: Jean Bullock Re: It's Too Late - 09/07/02 05:34 PM
This song has a lot of conflicting ideas. The singer says "I didn't want you to understand, and then "didn't you know you could understand." It's like the singer is chiding the other for not understanding what he didn't want the person to understand in the first place.

The first verse seems like more of an intro because the lines are fewer.

The listen to your heart thing doesn't seem to have anything to do with the rest of the song really. It also seems kind of mean to take her away from the only home she has ever known and then is ready to dump her because she can't appreciate his world. Then by adding that he didn't want her to understand makes it even worse. "there's too many feelings here to leave it all behind" sounds like he doesn't want to give up and yet he says "it's too late to see the light." and won't give her a chance to change.

There is not a lot for the listener to identify with in here, so it must have personal feelings that are tied to the lines that we don't get to see. We really need to have a few more clues to understand the song. If we don't get the clues, the song better have a great melody or the listener will turn off.

Delivery is important and sometimes the singer's talent plus a good melody will overcome a weak lyric.

A really good song however, can be sung by a mediocre singer and still be appreciated.

Anyway, good luck with this. If you have an MP3 up, you might want to post the link to it with the lyrics. Some songs don't read well, but hearing them with the music makes a big difference.

JeanB
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards