Who's Online Now
16 registered members (9ne, Gavin Sinclair, Harriet Ames, Everett Adams, Dave Rice, couchgrouch, Martin Lide, Calvin, 3 invisible), and 205 guests, and
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Member Spotlight
Posts: 74
Joined: May 2018
Show All Member Profiles 
What's Going On
Doing The Same
by Dave Rice. 09/21/18 11:07 AM
Box of Frogs
by Moosesong. 09/21/18 06:29 AM
Grandpa stood up for Jesus
by niteshift. 09/21/18 02:20 AM
Underground Railroad Medley
by niteshift. 09/21/18 02:03 AM
Devotion
by niteshift. 09/21/18 01:50 AM
Show me with Laura Kelsey
by niteshift. 09/21/18 01:31 AM
How many of you wrote number 1 songs
by Perry Neal Crawford. 09/20/18 07:47 PM
HELP ME PLEASE!!!
by Brian Austin Whitney. 09/20/18 02:49 PM
Is there Pro Music Industry people on this website
by Brian Austin Whitney. 09/20/18 01:16 PM
NEW MEMBERS CHECK HERE
by Brian Austin Whitney. 09/20/18 12:22 PM
You lying about my brother
by Spanky9. 09/20/18 07:34 AM
Son in Nashville...
by John Lawrence Schick. 09/20/18 05:56 AM
John Rich/ Kaepernick
by Fdemetrio. 09/19/18 05:04 PM
In France
by Gavin Sinclair. 09/19/18 01:25 PM
MY GPS IS SET FOR HEAVEN
by F Williams. 09/19/18 09:59 AM
Go Go Boy
by Calvin. 09/19/18 09:54 AM
Too Good To Be Forgot
by Marvin Adcock. 09/19/18 05:58 AM
Love Goes
by Ricki E. Bellos. 09/18/18 08:52 PM
ISLAND OF EVERFREE( With seasonal outro)
by Ricki E. Bellos. 09/18/18 08:40 PM
ORDINARY MAN (feat. Donovan Plant)
by Ricki E. Bellos. 09/18/18 08:32 PM
His Eyes
by Ricki E. Bellos. 09/18/18 08:14 PM
How do I get recording company to. Read my songs
by Marc Barnette. 09/18/18 06:56 PM
How do I get people to be interested in me
by Marc Barnette. 09/18/18 06:53 PM
A Parable...
by couchgrouch. 09/18/18 06:48 PM
'' Life''
by Dennis Wright. 09/18/18 03:38 PM
Anybody else getting soliticitations from Ms Sue?
by Everett Adams. 09/18/18 08:25 AM
Good Luck Eddie
by Gavin Sinclair. 09/17/18 01:56 PM
You can win
by Spanky9. 09/17/18 12:07 PM
Old Letters
by Vicarn. 09/17/18 10:20 AM
UPDATE ON ME ONE YEAR LATER. (can you believe it?
by Ricki E. Bellos. 09/17/18 09:32 AM
Top Posters(All Time)
Calvin 19,599
Travis david 11,015
Kevin Emmrich 10,540
Jean Bullock 10,330
Kaley Willow 10,240
Two Singers 9,571
Joice Marie 9,186
Mackie H. 8,839
glynda 8,574
Mike Dunbar 8,574
Tricia Baker 8,318
Colin Ward 7,899
couchgrouch 7,373
Corey 7,357
Dave Rice 6,799
Wyman Lloyd 6,578
Mark Kaufman 6,435
Joe Wrabek 6,403
ben willis 6,094
Vicarn 5,790
Lynn Orloff 5,788
Louis 5,725
Linda Sings 5,604
niteshift 5,435
KimberlyinNC 5,210
Derek Hines 4,893
DonnaMarilyn 4,622
Blake Hill 4,528
Neil Cotton 4,371
Bob Cushing 4,351
Bill Osofsky 4,199
Cindy Miller 4,178
Tom Shea 4,173
TamsNumber4 4,032
Roy Cooper 4,005
nightengale 3,965
Caroline 3,865
Kolstad 3,783
Dan Sullivan 3,710
MFB III 3,687
Dottie 3,427
joewatt 3,411
beechnut79 3,411
Bill Cooper 3,279
John Hoffman 3,199
E Swartz 3,148
Skip Johnson 3,027
Pam Hurley 3,007
Terry G 3,005
PopTodd 2,887
Harriet Ames 2,870
Nigel Quin 2,808
MidniteBob 2,707
Nelson 2,570
Tom Tracy 2,558
Polly Hager 2,526
Jerry Jakala 2,524
Al Alvarez 2,499
Eric Thome 2,448
Hummingbird 2,401
Stan Loh 2,263
Sam Wilson 2,241
Judy Hollier 2,232
Erica Ellis 2,202
Wendy D 2,184
TrumanCoyote 2,096
Marty Helly 2,012
DukeWill 1,984
floyd jane 1,980
Clint Anglin 1,904
cindyrella 1,888
maccharles 1,876
David Wright 1,866
Clairejeanne 1,851
Cindy LaRosa 1,824
Ronald Boyt 1,675
Iggy 1,629
Noel Downs 1,620
Rick Heenan 1,580
Cal 1,574
Jack Swain 1,554
Pete Larsen 1,537
Ann Tygart 1,529
Bud 1,519
Tom Breshers 1,487
RogerS 1,461
Tom Franz 1,452
Ralph Blight 1,440
Chuck Crowe 1,435
Kenneth Cade 1,429
Rick Norton 1,428
bholt 1,411
Letha Allen 1,406
in2piano 1,404
Stan Simons 1,402
GocartMoz 1,387
mattbanx 1,384
Jen Shaner 1,373
Charlie Wong 1,347
KevinP 1,324
Vondelle 1,316
Tom W. 1,313
Jan Petter 1,301
scottandrew 1,292
DakLander 1,265
Ian Ferrin 1,230
PeteG 1,228
Glen King 1,212
IdeaGuy 1,209
AaronAuthier 1,177
Diane Ewing 1,158
Martin Lide 1,106
Gerry 1,089
summeoyo 1,085
joro 1,081
BobbyJoe 1,075
S.DEE 1,040
yann 1,037
Tony A 1,016
lane1777 1,015
argo 986
peaden 984
Wolvman 960
IronKnee 937
Jak Kelly 912
krtinberg 890
Drifter 886
Petra 883
RJC 845
Brenda152 840
Nadia 827
Juan 797
TKO 784
frahmes 781
teletwang 762
90 dB 745
9ne 744
Andy K 739
tbryson 737
Deej56 733
Andy Kemp 733
ant 732
Jackie444 731
3daveyO3 704
Dayson 703
Dixie 701
Joy Boy 695
Knute 686
Lee Arten 678
Katziis 652
R.T.MOORE 638
quality 637
CG King 622
douglas 621
Mel 614
Fdemetrio 603
NaomiSue 601
Pat Hardy 599
Irwin 589
Shandy 589
Ria 587
TAMERA64 583
qbaum 570
nitepiano 565
pRISCILLA 556
Tink2 553
Moosesong 540
musica 539
deanbell 528
RobertK 527
BonzaiWag 523
Roderic 522
BB Wilbur 511
goodfolks 499
Zeek 487
Stu 486
Steve P. 481
R&M 469
KathyW 462
allenb 459
MaxG 458
Philjo 454
fanito 448
trush48 448
dmk 442
arealrush 437
DGR 436
avweek 435
Stephen D 433
Emmy 431
Rob L 426
marquez 422
kit 419
Softkrome 417
kyrksongs 415
RRon 408
Laura G. 407
VNORTH 407
Debra 407
eb 406
cuebald 399
EdPerrone 399
Dannyk1 395
Hobart 395
Davyboy49 393
Smile 389
GJShades 387
Ezt 384
tone 380
Marla 380
Cecilee 379
iggyiggy 378
coalminer 377
java 374
spidey 371
sweetsong 370
danny 367
Jim Ryan 360
Alek 356
papaG 353
Z - man 350
John K 348
JamesDF5 347
Jaden 344
ddreuter 341
TheBaz 340
Steggy 339
leif 339
tonedeaf 336
rickwork 334
Eddie Ray 332
Johnboy 328
Bob Lever 328
Helicon1 327
lucian 326
Muskie 321
kc 319
Z. Mulls 318
ptondreau 313
ONOFFON 312
Chris B. 310
trush 304
ed323 297
Ellen M 293
lizzorn 291
nicnac49 290
pomeranj 289
Char 286
ktunes 285
markus-ky 284
Register Today!
Welcome to the Just Plain Folks forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a Guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and to other features.

By joining our free community you will have access to post and respond to topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#884509 - 03/10/11 11:41 PM Is there a reason why people prefer female vocalists?  
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 90
VASINGER Offline
Serious Contributor
VASINGER  Offline
Serious Contributor

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 90
Richmond, Virginia, USA
Other than the fact that they are much prettier, is there a main reason why girl singers are praised over male vocalists? Someone once told me in general female vocals are more asthetically pleasing to the ear. But I often find the opposite is true. I do enjoy Patsy Cline and Karen Carpenter, but they are exceptions.

Many female vocalists have their own genre called guess what "female vocalists'. Theres nothing on Last FM that has the category "male vocals". Its just the biased opinion if they sound better, but its not always true.

#884515 - 03/11/11 12:01 AM Re: Is there a reason why people prefer female vocalists? [Re: VASINGER]  
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,526
Polly Hager Offline
Helping Hand
Polly Hager  Offline
Helping Hand

Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,526
Cincinnati, OH USA
I think the reason female vocalists (I'm one) are sometimes preferred over male vocalists is because a lot of them have more range. They can sing higher, more clearly, and if they're in a cover band like I am, are more useful in covering a wider range of material. In this male dominated business it's refreshing to see and hear a GOOD female vocalist! I don't care for the ones that are pitchy or have a "nasally" sound...I like ones that KICK ASS, like Pink, Kelly Clarkson, Gretchen Wilson, ANN WILSON, Aretha Franklin, Tina Turner, etc. There's nothing I detest more than a "lame" female vocalist who can't project or stay on key. But then again, I don't like that in a male vocalist either. LOL

IMO, male vocalists in general are more limited. Very few really impress me. The lead singer for Rascal Flatts is outstanding, he sounds like he has frets in his throat. Geddy Lee from Rush could sing high, but his voice was somewhat irritating to people. When I sing Rush, it's not irritating. smile Robert Plant was my idol growing up. His wails and screams, and vocal imitating Page's guitar was amazing to me. I aspired to be a female version of him (and somewhat succeeded). But a lot of male vocalists are gruff and limited range wise, so IMO, they don't have as much to offer.


http://www.soundclick.com/pollyhager
http://www.facebook.com/polly.wilmot
http://www.reverbnation.com/rockcandycincy
You're supposed to be grooving as hard as you can, all of the time. - Stephen Gaskin
#884520 - 03/11/11 12:17 AM Re: Is there a reason why people prefer female vocalists? [Re: VASINGER]  
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 10,540
Kevin Emmrich Offline
Kevin Emmrich  Offline


Top 10 Poster

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 10,540
Crozet, VA
Originally Posted by VASINGER
Other than the fact that they are much prettier, is there a main reason why girl singers are praised over male vocalists?


I think your premise is off-base. I think male artists way out-sell female artists (I think buying the record is the most tangible type of "praise" for a commercial artist). Of course there are a lot of females on this list, too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists

Kevin


"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The 'hard' is what makes it great."
Kevin @ bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh (and Kevin @ FAWM 2018)
#884540 - 03/11/11 01:32 AM Re: Is there a reason why people prefer female vocalists? [Re: Kevin Emmrich]  
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 190
John Cook Offline
Serious Contributor
John Cook  Offline
Serious Contributor

Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 190
The range of the vocalist is NOT determined by the sex. I've met several FANTASTIC male vocalists over the years and can list many many more I've never met.

I give you -
Geddy Lee (Rush, as mentioned - great range)
Chris Cornell (Soundgarden, Audioslave)
Brent Smith (Shinedown)
Freddie Mercury (Queen)
Paul Rodgers (Bad Company)
Elton John
Art Garfunkel (Simon and Garfunkel)
Jon Anderson (Yes, Anderson and Vangelis)
Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young

If you want me to go on I will, thats barely scratching the surface.

Female vocalists are more unusual than male vocalists, hence the separate "genre". I think, as Kevin said, the majority or singers are male, so you have something different from the norm no the side.

At local shows and open mics female singers get a better reception because they are SIGNIFICANTLY more unusual than male singers.

I'm not saying male singers are better, I like a good mix of both, and neither one is "better" for any physiological reason.

Last edited by John Cook; 03/11/11 01:33 AM.
#884560 - 03/11/11 03:24 AM Re: Is there a reason why people prefer female vocalists? [Re: John Cook]  
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,526
Polly Hager Offline
Helping Hand
Polly Hager  Offline
Helping Hand

Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,526
Cincinnati, OH USA
Oh, I DID forget to mention KEVIN EMMRICH as one of my fave male vox! love


http://www.soundclick.com/pollyhager
http://www.facebook.com/polly.wilmot
http://www.reverbnation.com/rockcandycincy
You're supposed to be grooving as hard as you can, all of the time. - Stephen Gaskin
#884607 - 03/11/11 06:39 AM Re: Is there a reason why people prefer female vocalists? [Re: Polly Hager]  
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,783
Kolstad Offline
Top 100 Poster
Kolstad  Offline
Top 100 Poster

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,783
Denmark
Can you be more specific about who you include when you say "people"? To me it just sounds like a male preference, Vasinger - I love female singers too. But, I think Kevin is about right on sales, and furthermore male singers are preferred demo's as female artists doesn't have a problem with hearing the song for them even though it's sung by a male, while the opposite is not so. If you look a bit deeper in the music industry, it's also heavily male dominated, think producers.. sooeh


Buzz Tracks
Making media sweeter

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/buzztracks
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/buzztracks
#884627 - 03/11/11 10:12 AM Re: Is there a reason why people prefer female vocalists? [Re: Kolstad]  
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
BIG JIM MERRILEES Offline
BIG JIM MERRILEES  Offline

Top 20 Poster

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
Edinburgh, Scotland. UK
I think many of the posts here are way off. In my experience there is no general preference for male or female vocalists per se although some people may for their own reasons prefer certain sexes singing and trends seem to follow whatever sex happens to be in fashion at any particular time. OK the pop charts currently are dominated by females but that trend changes on a whim. Nest month it could be different Michael Buble and Justin Beibers could be the IN THING. There is no "better than" as Polly tries to make out issue either....I have heard great vocalists from both sexes and some pretty dud ones as well. My own preference of rock music is dominated by male singers BUT that does not mean that there are no great female rock singers. I know many.
On a personal note I hate whiny nasally female voices that seem to be in vogue at the moment......but that is just my own preference. Many people like that kind of sound. It is all down to personal taste.

ps I just used Buble and Beibers in the same sentence. WOW must be slipping. Comparing these two is like comparing Sinatra with the drunk guy who grabs the mic at a Saturday night karaoke.

#884654 - 03/11/11 11:57 AM Re: Is there a reason why people prefer female vocalists? [Re: BIG JIM MERRILEES]  
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,783
Kolstad Offline
Top 100 Poster
Kolstad  Offline
Top 100 Poster

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,783
Denmark
Surely Bublé are waaay more entertaining than Sinatra :-)


Buzz Tracks
Making media sweeter

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/buzztracks
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/buzztracks
#884656 - 03/11/11 12:34 PM Re: Is there a reason why people prefer female vocalists? [Re: Kolstad]  
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 7,899
Colin Ward Offline
Colin Ward  Offline

Top 25 Poster

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 7,899
Saint Petersburg. FL
On the local level, there are ten males for every female doing open mics, rock bands, etc. so the scarcity probably makes the good females more popular.......not to mention the sex appeal aspect.

On country radio here, it is relatively unusual to hear a female vocalist - maybe one song in six.

It does come down to personal taste. I absolutely a couple of female voices - Alison Krauss and Jayne Kelli - but as Jim says, there are some awful nasally ones too.


Colin

I try to critique as if you mean business.....

http://colinwardmusic.com/

http://rosewoodcreekband.com/


#884662 - 03/11/11 01:02 PM Re: Is there a reason why people prefer female vocalists? [Re: Colin Ward]  
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 379
Cecilee Offline
Top 500 Poster
Cecilee  Offline
Top 500 Poster

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 379
Norfolk, VA
Colin, it's the same thing here in Hampton Roads on the local level. Most of the open mics (when there are any, and there aren't many in my area unfortunately frown ) and bands are male-dominated. We have a Hampton Roads online radio station called Defenestration run by WHRO, and in the 2-3 hrs I usually listen on any given day, I only ever hear one or two females. Most of it is male-dominated rock.

That means that at open mic nights, I'm one of maybe 2 or 3 total female acts that night. I've gotten used to it though. smile

Last edited by Ann Feld; 03/11/11 01:05 PM.

English/French piano/electronic singer/songwriter from Virginia. Influences include Charlotte Martin, Kate Bush, Pet Shop Boys, and Mylène Farmer.

http://cecilee.bandcamp.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/cecileeprojects

New album Rendezvous on Bandcamp!
#884665 - 03/11/11 01:30 PM Re: Is there a reason why people prefer female vocalists? [Re: Cecilee]  
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 347
JamesDF5 Offline
Top 500 Poster
JamesDF5  Offline
Top 500 Poster

Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 347
London UK
it's the same in the UK in terms of pop and RnB but if you look at Hip Hop or C-rap music it is very male orientated.

I am looking for a female artist as I guess from my own perspective they have prettier voices, more sex appeal and more often better ranges. I also just think that women have better chance of succeeding.

thinking about it though there are very few female artists on my iPod. hmm.


My Band Northfield
Our Videos
#884744 - 03/11/11 09:09 PM Re: Is there a reason why people prefer female vocalists? [Re: JamesDF5]  
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 90
VASINGER Offline
Serious Contributor
VASINGER  Offline
Serious Contributor

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 90
Richmond, Virginia, USA
I think female vocalists are great, don't get me wrong. I enjoy female vocals on certain songs , especially.

My premise was based largely on reviews on musicians. Will praise the female vocals . Most female musicians are noted for their vocal prowess. Most male solo artists are not, usually, although there are exceptions. Usually with male artists, their vocals are not mentioned, and usually focous on their songwriting, instrument playing, etc. He is a great guitar player, etc. Not his voice. I was just wondering if there was a preference over one over the other. Its just an observation.

Last edited by VASINGER; 03/11/11 09:09 PM.
#884745 - 03/11/11 09:12 PM Re: Is there a reason why people prefer female vocalists? [Re: Polly Hager]  
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 90
VASINGER Offline
Serious Contributor
VASINGER  Offline
Serious Contributor

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 90
Richmond, Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by Polly Hager
I think the reason female vocalists (I'm one) are sometimes preferred over male vocalists is because a lot of them have more range. They can sing higher, more clearly, and if they're in a cover band like I am, are more useful in covering a wider range of material. In this male dominated business it's refreshing to see and hear a GOOD female vocalist! I don't care for the ones that are pitchy or have a "nasally" sound...I like ones that KICK ASS, like Pink, Kelly Clarkson, Gretchen Wilson, ANN WILSON, Aretha Franklin, Tina Turner, etc. There's nothing I detest more than a "lame" female vocalist who can't project or stay on key. But then again, I don't like that in a male vocalist either. LOL

IMO, male vocalists in general are more limited. Very few really impress me. The lead singer for Rascal Flatts is outstanding, he sounds like he has frets in his throat. Geddy Lee from Rush could sing high, but his voice was somewhat irritating to people. When I sing Rush, it's not irritating. smile Robert Plant was my idol growing up. His wails and screams, and vocal imitating Page's guitar was amazing to me. I aspired to be a female version of him (and somewhat succeeded). But a lot of male vocalists are gruff and limited range wise, so IMO, they don't have as much to offer.


If no male vocalists impress you, maybe you aren't paying attention. What about Roy Orbison? Or Elvis? John Denver? Mario Lanza had one of the most incredible voices of the past century. As for covering a wider range of material, I dont like to brag, but I sing everything from Classical to Jazz and Country. I prefer Country, of course (mainly Alt Country), but its all perspective I guess. You sound a bit jaded to me about the industry. I say forget the industry and just do your own thing.



Last edited by VASINGER; 03/11/11 09:31 PM.
#884788 - 03/12/11 12:20 AM Re: Is there a reason why people prefer female vocalists? [Re: VASINGER]  
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,526
Polly Hager Offline
Helping Hand
Polly Hager  Offline
Helping Hand

Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,526
Cincinnati, OH USA
Originally Posted by VASINGER
Originally Posted by Polly Hager
I think the reason female vocalists (I'm one) are sometimes preferred over male vocalists is because a lot of them have more range. They can sing higher, more clearly, and if they're in a cover band like I am, are more useful in covering a wider range of material. In this male dominated business it's refreshing to see and hear a GOOD female vocalist! I don't care for the ones that are pitchy or have a "nasally" sound...I like ones that KICK ASS, like Pink, Kelly Clarkson, Gretchen Wilson, ANN WILSON, Aretha Franklin, Tina Turner, etc. There's nothing I detest more than a "lame" female vocalist who can't project or stay on key. But then again, I don't like that in a male vocalist either. LOL

IMO, male vocalists in general are more limited. Very few really impress me. The lead singer for Rascal Flatts is outstanding, he sounds like he has frets in his throat. Geddy Lee from Rush could sing high, but his voice was somewhat irritating to people. When I sing Rush, it's not irritating. smile Robert Plant was my idol growing up. His wails and screams, and vocal imitating Page's guitar was amazing to me. I aspired to be a female version of him (and somewhat succeeded). But a lot of male vocalists are gruff and limited range wise, so IMO, they don't have as much to offer.


If no male vocalists impress you, maybe you aren't paying attention. What about Roy Orbison? Or Elvis? John Denver? Mario Lanza had one of the most incredible voices of the past century. As for covering a wider range of material, I dont like to brag, but I sing everything from Classical to Jazz and Country. I prefer Country, of course (mainly Alt Country), but its all perspective I guess. You sound a bit jaded to me about the industry. I say forget the industry and just do your own thing.




You didn't read my post closely...I didn't say NO male vocalists impress me, I said very few. Then again, I'm a vocalist myself, and I take my skill seriously, so I'm going to be critical of everyone else who claims to be a vocalist, probably more so than the average person.

I'm not jaded at all...I'm just the opposite...I eat, breathe and sleep music! When I'm not making music or writing music, I'm talking about it! Music is my passion!

Last edited by Polly Hager; 03/12/11 12:27 AM.

http://www.soundclick.com/pollyhager
http://www.facebook.com/polly.wilmot
http://www.reverbnation.com/rockcandycincy
You're supposed to be grooving as hard as you can, all of the time. - Stephen Gaskin
#885188 - 03/13/11 02:07 AM Re: Is there a reason why people prefer female vocalists? [Re: Polly Hager]  
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 190
John Cook Offline
Serious Contributor
John Cook  Offline
Serious Contributor

Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 190
Originally Posted by Polly Hager
I'm a vocalist myself, and I take my skill seriously,


Me too, I spent years drinking, smoking and shouting to get this voice!!



Just trying to lighten the mood grin

John

#885428 - 03/14/11 12:39 AM Re: Is there a reason why people prefer female vocalists? [Re: John Cook]  
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 90
VASINGER Offline
Serious Contributor
VASINGER  Offline
Serious Contributor

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 90
Richmond, Virginia, USA
Im sorry I didnt read your post very well. By the same token, very few female vocalists impress me. But then again, very few male vocalists impress me either these days. Maybe its just the modern ones I don't care for. Im very impressed by people who write their own songs.

Unfortunately a lot of what people think is good singing these days is singing as loudly as possible and over-emoting to get attention and say "look at me, look what I can do". Thats not good singing, IMO. But IM not a great singer myself, and it probably is preference.

#885459 - 03/14/11 03:05 AM Re: Is there a reason why people prefer female vocalists? [Re: VASINGER]  
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,526
Polly Hager Offline
Helping Hand
Polly Hager  Offline
Helping Hand

Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,526
Cincinnati, OH USA
I naturally have a voice that projects (have had one since I was oh...THREE) and my ROCK voice is just that. That's what a ROCK voice does, it projects. It's not "look at me, look at what I can do" it's actually emoting a song the way it was MEANT to be done! You don't strike me as someone who especially enjoys rock, which is fine (listened to your stuff). It doesn't mean that what I do isn't enjoyable or appreciated by lots of people, just that it's not YOUR cup of tea. Which is why there are COUNTLESS genres and interpretations of music on this planet. To each his own.

I also write my own music, and do other styles, like blues, country, bluegrass, and alternative. That's on my soundclick page in my signature line. My brand new all-female band is doing more "pop" stuff though we do like to rock out! love

What I'm hearing from you is that you like old-style country, that's also the style you sing, and you don't care for much else. Well, again, to each his own. Personally, I don't want to be marginal. The more genres and styles of music I get exposed to, THE BETTER! I might not like everything I hear, but I appreciate the effort the artist put into it, and try to interpret it the way the artist meant for it to be.


http://www.soundclick.com/pollyhager
http://www.facebook.com/polly.wilmot
http://www.reverbnation.com/rockcandycincy
You're supposed to be grooving as hard as you can, all of the time. - Stephen Gaskin
#885698 - 03/15/11 09:23 AM Re: Is there a reason why people prefer female vocalists? [Re: Polly Hager]  
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
BIG JIM MERRILEES Offline
BIG JIM MERRILEES  Offline

Top 20 Poster

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
Edinburgh, Scotland. UK
Polly and Vas you are both way off the mark.......A great singer is a great singer PERIOD..... regardless of sex or the material they sing.....different techniques are needed for diff genres etc but whatever technique is used I judge each singer on their performances....not the style or genre.

A lot of todays pop singers whether male or female are just good looking kids who are there because of their looks and image...most have very poor singing talent or musical skills and the music is ALL PRODUCTION good singing does not feature.

It is true that rock is male orientated and there are fewer performing females than males.....I have no idea why that is exactly ......I think it is more to do with a cultural thing rather than male v female talent.

Coutry and pop has its fair share of female performers but I still think the major decisions in all music matters are made by men. So that means they will promote the sexy image of a good looking female. Sadly the world is still a place where sexual inequality still is the norm. Sex sells over talent any day.

Polly I do not think you do the equality thing any favours by saying that women are better singers than men...this simply is not true......there are good and bad singers and musicians from both sexes. To state any preference or that one sex is better than another is an opinion based just on personal taste not any factual evidence. I have listened to a lot of your stuff and you have a good voice but have a ways to go.....you need to show more light and shade and control and have a tendency to oversing in places....

Now Vas I have listened to some of your songs and you also have a good voice.....not keen on the mixes as your voice is a bit too far back in the mix for my ears. Your songs however IMO are way way way dated and old fashioned. This style was popular in the fifties and sixties but has been left by the wayside generations past. IMO you are uncomfortable with any style that does not fit that narrow slot thereby adopting the attitude that no one from the modern era impresses you. You look quite young in your pics.....surprising for someone stuck in a bubble with such a narrow minded old fashioned taste and attitude.


#885699 - 03/15/11 09:49 AM Re: Is there a reason why people prefer female vocalists? [Re: BIG JIM MERRILEES]  
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 2,808
Nigel Quin Offline
Nigel Quin  Offline

Top 100 Poster

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 2,808
Birmingham, UK
Sometimes I wish I had a tail, then I could start chasing it




#910194 - 07/23/11 03:09 PM Re: Is there a reason why people prefer female vocalists? [Re: Nigel Quin]  
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 13,254
Michael LeBlanc Offline
Top 10 Poster
Michael LeBlanc  Offline
Top 10 Poster

Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 13,254
Louisiana
i perfer male vocalist,that's it.I have thousands of lp's and cd's and i know 85% are male vocalist.Also i think a male singer puts on a way better show than a girl singer.I do have my favorite girl singers however.

#910201 - 07/23/11 04:09 PM Re: Is there a reason why people prefer female vocalists? [Re: Michael LeBlanc]  
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,790
Vicarn Online content
Top 40 Poster
Vicarn  Online Content
Top 40 Poster

Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,790
UK
Echo Michael LeBlanc and I love KD Lang, Emmy Lou and Nancy Griffith.
Vic


It's never too late? Yes it is, so do it now.

If, given time, a monkey can write the complete works of Shakespeare maybe there's hope for me.
http://www.soundclick.com/vicarnold

http://soundcloud.com/vic-arnold
#910627 - 07/25/11 06:04 PM Re: Is there a reason why people prefer female vocalists? [Re: Vicarn]  
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 980
David Gill Offline
Top 500 Poster
David Gill  Offline
Top 500 Poster

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 980
Buffalo, NY
I like Brad Delp (Boston). I think he had a great range.


"Where there's a Gill, there's a way"
#910629 - 07/25/11 06:11 PM Re: Is there a reason why people prefer female vocalists? [Re: David Gill]  
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 576
Meg Engell Offline
Top 500 Poster
Meg Engell  Offline
Top 500 Poster

Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 576
The Place to Be
Well, female SOLO artists sell more than male SOLO artists, but female fronted groups are outnumbered and sell less than male fronted groups.


Now writing as Orion Redgrave.

Check me out on tumblr @orionredgrave
#910633 - 07/25/11 06:43 PM Re: Is there a reason why people prefer female vocalists? [Re: Meg Engell]  
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,039
Ray E. Strode Online content
Top 30 Poster
Ray E. Strode  Online Content
Top 30 Poster

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,039
Brunswick, Ga. USA
Humm,
Over the last decade or so the Female Artists were a lot better than the Male Artists in my opinion. In the 40's and 50's male singers were at the top of the heap. We're speaking Country here. But even in Pop music the male artists were really good but the females were pretty even.

Finding good male country demo singers was a bit harder. Maybe it still is.


Ray E. Strode
#937026 - 12/17/11 10:41 AM Re: Is there a reason why people prefer female vocalists? [Re: Ray E. Strode]  
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 146
Cheyenne Offline
Serious Contributor
Cheyenne  Offline
Serious Contributor

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 146
Florida U.S.A.
THEY ARE AROUND, MOST OF THE GUYS WHO HAVE MADE IT WERE DEMO

SINGERS AT ONE TIME.

THE HARDEST THING IS WRITING A SONG WORTH MAKING A DEMO WITH


One of the most important principles of songwriting is to remember that a good song is a partnership of many different components, all working together to produce a satisfying musical experience.

In that respect, song components are either enhancing or compromising their combined effects.
#937059 - 12/17/11 04:44 PM Re: Is there a reason why people prefer female vocalists? [Re: Cheyenne]  
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 8,065
Johnny Daubert Offline
Top 25 Poster
Johnny Daubert  Offline
Top 25 Poster

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 8,065
New Jersey, USA
It's goes with their tops and bottoms? THEE Bermuda triangle?! Once you got all three,,,,your sunk?! Held Captive?!


Actually a Member Since 1996 or 97 (Number One Hundred Something).
Songnado I and II:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=322686





#1108832 - 06/17/16 03:23 PM Re: Is there a reason why people prefer female vocalists? [Re: Johnny Daubert]  
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,712
Jim Colyer Offline
Top 30 Poster
Jim Colyer  Offline
Top 30 Poster

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,712
Nashville, Tennessee usa
I preferred male vocals in the Elvis and Beatle years. The change came with ABBA in the 70s. I would much rather go into the studio with a girl than a guy.

#1109536 - 06/28/16 03:10 AM Re: Is there a reason why people prefer female vocalists? [Re: Jim Colyer]  
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 469
R&M Offline
Top 500 Poster
R&M  Offline
Top 500 Poster

Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 469
I always heard being the youngest in the crowd, Abba and Fleetwood Mac. Also Heart (all three started out as guy bands). Then I heard acts like No Doubt and Berlin. Then there is the drummer from The Velvet Underground, as well as Patty Smith. Then Tina Waymouth of the Talking Heads. There is a certain female that I have noticed from the age of a toddler in my hometown of Duluth, Minnesota from some 30 years ago in a band called Hostage.
I have to admit that I slant towards guy players, mostly because the music is derived from the other sex.
But good music is good music, whatever the sex.
Some guy and gal songs have been exchanged in cover songs too.
"Girls just Want to Have Fun" was originally "Guys Just Want To Have Fun".

Adding female vocalists is the ultimate compliment in a song from what I have heard.

Matt



#1109541 - 06/28/16 07:17 AM Re: Is there a reason why people prefer female vocalists? [Re: R&M]  
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,680
John W. Selleck Offline
Top 100 Poster
John W. Selleck  Offline
Top 100 Poster

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,680
NJ
It has been stated, over and over, that women buy the most music. If the law of supply and demand runs true, then they must be buying more male singers. Personally, I love both. I also love instrumentals. Come to think of it, I just love any music that isn't about hate.


Have a goodun,

John W. Selleck BMI Songwriter
A day without learning is a day lost

http://www.soundclick.com/johnsings
http://www.soundclick.com/johnwselleck
http://www.soundclick.com/johnselleck
#1109544 - 06/28/16 08:48 AM Re: Is there a reason why people prefer female vocalists? [Re: John W. Selleck]  
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,039
Ray E. Strode Online content
Top 30 Poster
Ray E. Strode  Online Content
Top 30 Poster

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,039
Brunswick, Ga. USA
In the past there were very few female singers you could buy recordings by. Many times a female singer could not get such and such a song and had to take what they could get. Today it is probably much better and most of the current female singers at least country are much more pleasing than the male artists.

Some Pop Female singers that come to mind are Kay Starr, Peggy Lee, Jo Stafford, Gogi Grant, Rosemary Clooney, Patti Page, Doris Day, Connie Francis, Teresa Brewer, and some groups namely the McGuire Sisters, the Chordettes and the Fontaine Sisters.
In Country there were only Kitty Wells, Jean Shepard, later Patsy Cline and Loretta Lynn.

Last edited by Ray E. Strode; 06/28/16 08:52 AM.

Ray E. Strode
#1109546 - 06/28/16 10:16 AM Re: Is there a reason why people prefer female vocalists? [Re: Ray E. Strode]  
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 7,899
Colin Ward Offline
Colin Ward  Offline

Top 25 Poster

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 7,899
Saint Petersburg. FL
Originally Posted by Ray E. Strode

In Country there were only Kitty Wells, Jean Shepard, later Patsy Cline and Loretta Lynn.


Geez Ray - the later ones are 84 years old.


Colin

I try to critique as if you mean business.....

http://colinwardmusic.com/

http://rosewoodcreekband.com/


#1109570 - 06/28/16 02:13 PM Re: Is there a reason why people prefer female vocalists? [Re: Colin Ward]  
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,039
Ray E. Strode Online content
Top 30 Poster
Ray E. Strode  Online Content
Top 30 Poster

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,039
Brunswick, Ga. USA
Uh, so what Colin,
I still listen to Beethoven and Mozart. And they are really old! I remember one time a Navy Chief asked a young lass out. She retorted, I don't go out with no one lower than an Ensign. The Chief replied, I didn't know there was anyone lower than an Ensign! Well, you had to be there.


Ray E. Strode

Support Just Plain Folks

We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.


Membership
Join Just Plain Folks
to receive the free
JPNotes Newsletter!
*this is separate from
message board registration*

Newest Members
Mrs_Sue_Saunders, Spanky9, Hicham, olivergonegreen, RobertBolster
21094 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums116
Topics118,304
Posts1,115,204
Members21,094
Average Posts Daily25
Most Online1,506
Mar 16th, 2017
Just Plain Quotes
"Often, when performing live, entertaining well is better than playing well" -Brian Austin Whitney
Today's Birthdays
RonnieMarler (56), the_ghostwriter (55), Tobias B White (42)
Popular Topics(Views)
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0