I wanted to announce that my law firm, Beame & Mencher LLP will be hosting a three-part Songwriters Law Seminar beginning on Saturday, May 15th, 2010 in New York City at The Living Room in New York City. More details can be found on our website at www.bmlawgroup.com. Click here to register online.

Saturday, May 15th, 2010 4:30pm-6:30pm

Part One: Copyright & Collaboration - Protecting Your Work and Earning Money

In this part, we will learn about the role copyright law plays in a songwriter's career and discuss ways of earning money from songwriting (and how to obtain a copyright). We will also explore songwriter collaboration - common oversights made during the process and the importance of a songwriter agreement.

What is a copyright and how do I get one?
How do I make a living from my songs?
What should I know about collaboration before I embark on one?

Saturday, June 12th, 2010 4:30pm-6:30pm

Part Two: Publishing Deals (& Other Licensing Opportunities)

In part two of the seminar, we'll introduce the role of the music publisher. This part explores the different types of publishers, the benefits (if any) of "signing" with one, and the particular deal points of both co-publishing and administration agreements. This part also introduces common licensing opportunities for songwriters, such as in recordings and placement for film/tv/commercial.

What is a music publisher and do I need one?
What are the major points of a co-publishing and administration agreement?
In what ways can I license my songs and what are the important deal points?

Saturday, July 10th, 2010 4:30pm-6:30pm

Part Three: Singer-Songwriters and Recording Agreements - Implications on Publishing

The third part of this seminar considers the interaction between a songwriter's ownership in her/his songs and a recording contract, including new implications raised by a 360 deal. In particular, we'll discuss the musical composition/sound recording dichotomy for purposes of licensing music and the impact of the controlled composition clause contained in a recording agreement on a songwriter's publishing.

I'm a singer-songwriter, what's the difference between a song and a recording?
What are the differences between a recording contract and a publishing deal?
How will a controlled composition clause affect my publishing revenues?
A brief look at the recording contract.

Beame & Mencher LLP is a boutique law practice based in New York City providing legal advice and counsel primarily in the entertainment industries. We are forward-thinking, outside of the box, attorneys. Our firm focuses on the representation of creative and entrepreneurial people and companies involved in music, tv/film, theatre, dance, entertainment, new media, and technology.