Who's Online Now
26 registered members (Everett Adams, AntonyRobWells, amremt6, couchgrouch, E Swartz, ben willis, Colin Ward, Andy K, 5 invisible), and 212 guests, and
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Member Spotlight
9ne
9ne
N.E. of Toronto
Posts: 881
Joined: April 2002
Show All Member Profiles 
What's Going On
ASCAP ONSTAGE
by Everett Adams. 09/23/19 07:12 AM
PERFECT.
by Neil Cotton. 09/23/19 07:01 AM
Future Callin'
by Neil Cotton. 09/23/19 06:55 AM
Who I want to be and who I am
by Neil Cotton. 09/23/19 06:50 AM
Me Loving You
by Neil Cotton. 09/23/19 06:47 AM
Love is no game
by Neil Cotton. 09/23/19 06:45 AM
Climate Change Denier
by Travis david. 09/23/19 01:28 AM
FEISTY MAIDENS.. vocal & production Mike Zaneski
by Travis david. 09/23/19 01:19 AM
RAISE A GLASS.,( DAVE LEKICH & TRAVIS)
by Travis david. 09/23/19 01:17 AM
Gatekeeper #3
by E Swartz. 09/22/19 10:03 PM
Her Gettysburg Address
by summeoyo. 09/22/19 08:41 PM
Folk Music, Dance, Storytelling,. Sept 22, 2019
by Gary E. Andrews. 09/22/19 08:11 PM
Who's Killing The Planet
by PENKSLYRICS. 09/22/19 07:55 PM
A word about my absence...
by couchgrouch. 09/22/19 06:01 PM
Morphine
by John Paragreen. 09/22/19 05:49 PM
The Son of a Green Beret
by John Paragreen. 09/22/19 05:43 PM
The Government Should Do Something...
by John Paragreen. 09/22/19 05:39 PM
KEN BURNS HISTORY OF COUNTRY MUSIC
by ben willis. 09/22/19 05:12 PM
(NOTHING LIKE) MOVING ON
by John Paragreen. 09/22/19 03:37 PM
Barcelona
by John Paragreen. 09/22/19 03:30 PM
First Love, last love
by John Paragreen. 09/22/19 03:28 PM
First Love, Last Love (Final Studio Version)
by Steve Altonian. 09/22/19 02:27 PM
Just a rant...
by John Lawrence Schick. 09/22/19 12:28 PM
Copyright law
by Martin Lide. 09/22/19 10:25 AM
Writers Block, any suggestion?
by Lilly. 09/22/19 09:59 AM
Why so many one hit wonders?
by Lilly. 09/22/19 09:22 AM
Joe Jackson still kickin it...
by Lilly. 09/22/19 09:19 AM
R.I.P. Ric Ocasek
by Lilly. 09/22/19 09:15 AM
Young Woman
by Mimmo. 09/22/19 08:35 AM
Guitar For Sale.
by John Paragreen. 09/22/19 04:57 AM
Top Posters(All Time)
Calvin 19,766
Travis david 11,591
Kevin Emmrich 10,549
Jean Bullock 10,330
Kaley Willow 10,240
Two Singers 9,572
Joice Marie 9,186
Mackie H. 8,844
glynda 8,591
Mike Dunbar 8,574
Tricia Baker 8,318
Colin Ward 7,905
couchgrouch 7,542
Corey 7,357
Dave Rice 7,302
Wyman Lloyd 6,578
Mark Kaufman 6,531
Joe Wrabek 6,403
Vicarn 6,134
ben willis 6,102
Lynn Orloff 5,788
Louis 5,725
Linda Sings 5,604
niteshift 5,481
KimberlyinNC 5,210
Neil Cotton 4,903
Derek Hines 4,893
DonnaMarilyn 4,652
Blake Hill 4,528
Bob Cushing 4,361
Bill Osofsky 4,199
Tom Shea 4,179
Cindy Miller 4,178
Roy Cooper 4,101
nightengale 4,086
TamsNumber4 4,033
Caroline 3,865
MFB III 3,813
Kolstad 3,804
Dan Sullivan 3,710
beechnut79 3,500
Dottie 3,427
joewatt 3,411
E Swartz 3,363
Bill Cooper 3,279
John Hoffman 3,199
Skip Johnson 3,027
Pam Hurley 3,007
Terry G 3,005
PopTodd 2,890
Harriet Ames 2,870
Nigel Quin 2,812
MidniteBob 2,707
Nelson 2,570
Tom Tracy 2,558
Polly Hager 2,526
Jerry Jakala 2,524
Al Alvarez 2,499
Eric Thome 2,448
Hummingbird 2,401
Stan Loh 2,263
Sam Wilson 2,242
Judy Hollier 2,232
Wendy D 2,214
Erica Ellis 2,202
TrumanCoyote 2,096
Marty Helly 2,012
DukeWill 1,984
floyd jane 1,982
maccharles 1,954
Clint Anglin 1,904
cindyrella 1,888
David Wright 1,866
Clairejeanne 1,851
Cindy LaRosa 1,824
Ronald Boyt 1,675
Iggy 1,650
Noel Downs 1,620
Rick Heenan 1,597
Cal 1,574
Jack Swain 1,554
Pete Larsen 1,537
Martin Lide 1,536
Ann Tygart 1,529
Tom Breshers 1,487
RogerS 1,461
Tom Franz 1,455
Chuck Crowe 1,441
GocartMoz 1,440
Ralph Blight 1,440
Kenneth Cade 1,429
Rick Norton 1,428
bholt 1,411
Letha Allen 1,408
in2piano 1,404
Stan Simons 1,402
mattbanx 1,384
Jen Shaner 1,373
Charlie Wong 1,347
KevinP 1,324
Vondelle 1,316
Tom W. 1,313
Fdemetrio 1,311
Jan Petter 1,301
scottandrew 1,292
DakLander 1,265
PeteG 1,242
Ian Ferrin 1,230
Glen King 1,214
IdeaGuy 1,209
AaronAuthier 1,177
Diane Ewing 1,158
Gerry 1,143
summeoyo 1,125
joro 1,081
BobbyJoe 1,075
lane1777 1,065
Deej56 1,044
S.DEE 1,040
yann 1,037
Tony A 1,016
argo 986
peaden 984
Wolvman 960
IronKnee 947
Jak Kelly 912
krtinberg 890
Drifter 886
Petra 883
9ne 881
RJC 845
Brenda152 840
Nadia 827
90 dB 820
Juan 797
TKO 784
frahmes 781
teletwang 762
Andy K 744
tbryson 737
Andy Kemp 733
ant 732
Jackie444 731
3daveyO3 704
Dayson 703
Dixie 701
Joy Boy 695
Knute 686
Lee Arten 678
Katziis 652
R.T.MOORE 638
quality 637
Irwin 627
CG King 622
douglas 621
Pat Hardy 614
Mel 614
NaomiSue 601
Shandy 589
Moosesong 588
Ria 587
TAMERA64 583
qbaum 570
nitepiano 566
pRISCILLA 556
Tink2 553
musica 539
deanbell 528
RobertK 527
BonzaiWag 523
Roderic 522
BB Wilbur 511
goodfolks 499
R&M 492
Zeek 487
Stu 486
Steve P. 481
KathyW 462
allenb 459
MaxG 458
Philjo 454
fanito 448
trush48 448
dmk 442
arealrush 437
DGR 436
avweek 435
Stephen D 433
Emmy 431
Rob L 426
marquez 422
kit 419
Softkrome 417
kyrksongs 415
RRon 408
Laura G. 407
VNORTH 407
Debra 407
eb 406
cuebald 399
EdPerrone 399
Dannyk1 395
Hobart 395
Davyboy49 393
Smile 389
GJShades 387
Ezt 384
tone 380
Marla 380
Cecilee 379
iggyiggy 378
coalminer 377
java 374
spidey 371
sweetsong 370
Register Today!
Welcome to the Just Plain Folks forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a Guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and to other features.

By joining our free community you will have access to post and respond to topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#803976 - 03/19/10 08:38 PM Lady GaGa rules JPF!  
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 301
billrocker Offline
Serious Contributor
billrocker  Offline
Serious Contributor

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 301
Nashville TN
Numbers talk, BS walks:

On front page of songwriter forums as of 3/19/10, the average number of posts on an individual thread (excluding the Lady GG thread) was 13.4 posts/thread. The Lady GaGa thread has now generated 91 posts...far more than any other topic on the page.

You can love her or hate her, but we're sure the heck paying attention to her.

What else could she ask for?

Bill Renfrew
www.writethismusic.com


#803977 - 03/19/10 08:54 PM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: billrocker]  
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
BIG JIM MERRILEES Offline
BIG JIM MERRILEES  Offline

Top 20 Poster

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
Edinburgh, Scotland. UK
"You can love her or hate her, but we're sure the heck paying attention to her"
For mostly all the wrong reasons!

#803978 - 03/19/10 08:58 PM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: BIG JIM MERRILEES]  
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,102
ben willis Online content
Top 40 Poster
ben willis  Online Content
Top 40 Poster

Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,102
Ft. Myers, FL. USA
Did you count the off topic posts?

#803982 - 03/19/10 09:16 PM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: ben willis]  
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,531
Mark Kaufman Offline
Mark Kaufman  Offline

Top 40 Poster

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,531
Minneapolis
Ooooooo! Another Lady Gaga thread! Count me in!

She's currently getting sued for $35 million by her former boyfriend/producer, Rob Fusari. He claims that when they broke up, she pushed him away...but he invented her!

So, a little advice people: don't sleep with your proteges.

#804106 - 03/20/10 12:50 PM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: Mark Kaufman]  
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,804
Kolstad Offline
Top 100 Poster
Kolstad  Offline
Top 100 Poster

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,804
Denmark
People often take interest in something current, and Lady GaGa is certainly a hot topic at the moment.

Just shows that JPF'ers are interested in current news topics, too wink


Buzz Tracks
Making media sweeter

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/buzztracks
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/buzztracks
#804172 - 03/20/10 08:35 PM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: Kolstad]  
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 678
Lee Arten Offline
Serious Contributor
Lee Arten  Offline
Serious Contributor

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 678
Lady who?


"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Johnson.
#804185 - 03/20/10 09:14 PM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: Lee Arten]  
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 10,549
Kevin Emmrich Offline
Kevin Emmrich  Offline


Top 10 Poster

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 10,549
Crozet, VA
Quote
So, a little advice people: don't sleep with your proteges.


Now, if he wins the lawsuit, then maybe the opposite advice is in order.

Kevin


"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The 'hard' is what makes it great."
Kevin @ bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh (and Kevin @50/90 2019)
#804186 - 03/20/10 09:40 PM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: Kevin Emmrich]  
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 7,302
Dave Rice Offline
Top 30 Poster
Dave Rice  Offline
Top 30 Poster

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 7,302
Texas
Did anyone watch American Idol last week? On kick-off night, they had three acts to fill-in the otherwise sparse agenda. One of those acts was a Ga Ga Imitator. She even had the ugly stuff around one eye and ran around all over the place twanging her strat... or whatever that ugly thing was. Man, Idol must be getting desperate. No talent... might as well just hire a doggone stripper... it would have been more interesting.

#804467 - 03/22/10 01:53 AM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: Kolstad]  
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 301
billrocker Offline
Serious Contributor
billrocker  Offline
Serious Contributor

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 301
Nashville TN
Originally Posted by the songcabinet
People often take interest in something current, and Lady GaGa is certainly a hot topic at the moment.

Just shows that JPF'ers are interested in current news topics, too wink


I didn't know what it really meant but I like your take on it. I just found it facinating.

Bill Renfrew
www.writethismusic.com

#804468 - 03/22/10 01:56 AM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: BIG JIM MERRILEES]  
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 301
billrocker Offline
Serious Contributor
billrocker  Offline
Serious Contributor

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 301
Nashville TN
Originally Posted by BIG JIM MERRILEES
"You can love her or hate her, but we're sure the heck paying attention to her"
For mostly all the wrong reasons!


And those would be...?

Bill Renfrew
www.writethismusic.com

#804479 - 03/22/10 02:25 AM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: billrocker]  
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,680
John W. Selleck Offline
Top 100 Poster
John W. Selleck  Offline
Top 100 Poster

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,680
NJ
I just think it is a lot of talent showcased in all the wrong ways. Give me someone who lives by their talent and not selling it with gross displays. Give me someone like Carrie Underwood any day.


Have a goodun,

John W. Selleck BMI Songwriter
A day without learning is a day lost

http://www.soundclick.com/johnsings
http://www.soundclick.com/johnwselleck
http://www.soundclick.com/johnselleck
#804491 - 03/22/10 02:56 AM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: John W. Selleck]  
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 301
billrocker Offline
Serious Contributor
billrocker  Offline
Serious Contributor

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 301
Nashville TN
I agree. Personally, I can't stand her. If you have to be obscene to sell your music....

But someone said we're (JPF readers) are interested for the wrong reasons..

Bill Renfrew
www.writethismusic.com

#804513 - 03/22/10 05:15 AM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: billrocker]  
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,680
John W. Selleck Offline
Top 100 Poster
John W. Selleck  Offline
Top 100 Poster

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,680
NJ
It's like what has happened to most comedy, without a four letter word or sexual reference nothing seems funny to most people anymore. The funny thing is, I am not a prude, I just don't think it should be out there where children see and hear it everyday and take it as the way people should act.


Have a goodun,

John W. Selleck BMI Songwriter
A day without learning is a day lost

http://www.soundclick.com/johnsings
http://www.soundclick.com/johnwselleck
http://www.soundclick.com/johnselleck
#804592 - 03/22/10 01:54 PM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: John W. Selleck]  
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 10,383
John Voorpostel Offline
Top 20 Poster
John Voorpostel  Offline
Top 20 Poster

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 10,383
To the naysayers....so she doesn't appeal to your demographic... does that mean she's no good, or not doing "it" in the right way???

Here are some numbers to consider

Combined, The Fame and The Fame Monster have sold 10 million albums worldwide, while Lady Gaga's five singles, "Just Dance," "Poker Face," "Lovegame," "Paparazzi," and "Bad Romance," have sold more than 30 million singles worldwide. The video for "Bad Romance" has racked up more than 125 million online views

She's wildly successful because she does appeal to a large segment of the population....and time will tell if she re invents herself to continue to appeal to a mass market.

Look, I don't like rap music...I don't get Black Eyed Peas. Does it follow that they're no good? Seems to me the problem is mine...I simply don't "get it"

But millions do.





If writing ever becomes work I think I'm going to have to stop

iAccountant --- Info L inc --- Taxboard
#804600 - 03/22/10 02:26 PM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: John Voorpostel]  
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
BIG JIM MERRILEES Offline
BIG JIM MERRILEES  Offline

Top 20 Poster

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
Edinburgh, Scotland. UK
John you are quoting sales figures and statistics that are born of hype and the gullibility of people who buy into this crap.
Macdonalds sells billions of burgers...does not make it quality, healthy gourmet food......It is a testament to the stupidity of people rather than a quality product. The same applies to MOST of the pop music stars. They are there beacuse silly teenagers buy into it hook line and sinker. I know dozens of young musicians and songwriters who could easily fill their shoes. I bet the Gagas could not fill our shoes though. We play to discerning audiences who can see right through this crap.

#804621 - 03/22/10 03:44 PM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: BIG JIM MERRILEES]  
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 10,383
John Voorpostel Offline
Top 20 Poster
John Voorpostel  Offline
Top 20 Poster

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 10,383
Interesting switch in your argument Big Jim

Now we're not talking about the quality of her music, or her entertainment value, now your saying her fans are idiots for buying into her hype.

Not only that, they continue to be blindsided by the sizzle as they buy more, and continue to be idiots as she releases more music.

Using your argument, Beatlemania was invented by the press (true) ...and we were idiots for buying into that hype. Certainly many of our parents thought so..as they continued to revere Sinatra and Torme.

Again...she's not appealing to your demographis, and that's fine. It's the way a mass market works. Just don't assume that the segment of a population that buys her music is stupid for doing so.

I judge her simply by what she has accomplished.

She's all over the media, has generated lots of music sales, and continues to capture a lot of attention that she uses to generate more sales. By any definition of "business", and in particular "the music business", she's a success. The fact that you don't think she's any good, or that I find her "interesting" is meaningless given her results.

It only proves what we've known all along. Music and entertainment is subjective...so you're right when you say you don't like her. Just don't assume your taste is universal, or that those who don't share your taste are fools.





If writing ever becomes work I think I'm going to have to stop

iAccountant --- Info L inc --- Taxboard
#804637 - 03/22/10 05:00 PM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: John Voorpostel]  
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
BIG JIM MERRILEES Offline
BIG JIM MERRILEES  Offline

Top 20 Poster

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
Edinburgh, Scotland. UK
I am not attacking anyone in particular just the system and the gullibility of the people who are duped into buying whatever is put in front of them. You cannot argue about the Beatles or other people from that era. They were innovators offering something new and revolutionary and were not a product of the system. For what it is worth I felt they were over hyped as well. I have not changed tack. IMO people who make it big should be there because they are so much more talented than anybody else and the music they produce is on a plateau others cannot reach....not becuase they are hyped. Yes gaga is famous.....yes she is a star.....etc etc etc. Is her talent way above everything else that is out there? I DO NOT THINK SO.
Whilst you think I am insulting the public for liking gaga or the rest of the popstars...I am just stating what I believe to be true. The public are easily led.

#804644 - 03/22/10 05:10 PM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: BIG JIM MERRILEES]  
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,531
Mark Kaufman Offline
Mark Kaufman  Offline

Top 40 Poster

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,531
Minneapolis
Originally Posted by BIG JIM MERRILEES
IMO people who make it big should be there because they are so much more talented than anybody else and the music they produce is on a plateau others cannot reach....not becuase they are hyped.


I understand this desire, but I've never known it to be the reason why anyone ever made it big. You win the Olympic gold medal for being the best, but you make it in show business because you sell tickets. All the arguments about who's better, more deserving, passed over, hyped...to me, they're irrelevant to the way things have always worked in entertainment.

#804659 - 03/22/10 05:46 PM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: Mark Kaufman]  
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
BIG JIM MERRILEES Offline
BIG JIM MERRILEES  Offline

Top 20 Poster

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
Edinburgh, Scotland. UK
Sadly there are no tests to determine fastest longest or strongest when it comes to music. Maybe they should all compete by playing or singing like an exam.......in the olden days and even today before being allowed to join an orchestra you had to pass an audition and be of an acceptable grade....I doubt gaga or any of the others would make it. In fact it creases me to see orchestras or bands perform behind these "stars" where any member of the band has far more talent than the people they are backing.
In days gone by people worked their way up through the business and eventually their experience and talent was recognised. Sadly now people with limited talent make it big instantly by appearing on AI or X factor or similar shows. I say sadly because it is a sad indictment of us that we should condone and even encourage such a thing especially when most of us know people who can do so much better but do not get the chance.

#804943 - 03/23/10 12:21 PM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: BIG JIM MERRILEES]  
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 301
billrocker Offline
Serious Contributor
billrocker  Offline
Serious Contributor

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 301
Nashville TN
Originally Posted by BIG JIM MERRILEES
John you are quoting sales figures and statistics that are born of hype and the gullibility of people who buy into this crap.


I can't stand her because I think she's obscene. But I think musically she has it going on even if I don't get it, and that she's talented despite the fact that I don't like it. Dude, I love the fact that you are passionate about good music. but does it concern you at all you that you've decided that 30 million people are not only wrong, but gullible and stupid, and you're right? Could there be any possibility whatsoever that this woman's success is a reflection, to at least some degree, of her talent?

Let me turn it around a little... Let's say a woman named Linda Smith submitted some of her lyrics or songs to JPF for comments for the first time. Let's say those songs were the very hits that Lady G has released on the radio but nobody had ever heard of her or her songs before this moment in time...that JPF was seeing her work for the first time. Would you have had any more willingness to consider her work, perhaps embrace her work, or at least give her the benefit of the doubt, simply because she was new, she was here, and no one had ever heard of her? Would you have been an more inclinded to encourage her as you do other writers on these boards, or would you have simply written her off as a no talent?

With respect,

Bill Renfrew
www.writethismusic.com

#804949 - 03/23/10 12:47 PM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: billrocker]  
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
BIG JIM MERRILEES Offline
BIG JIM MERRILEES  Offline

Top 20 Poster

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
Edinburgh, Scotland. UK
Bill I am not saying she or other pop stars have NO talent I am saying that they are over hyped over paid and over rated and are nothing special. I view and judge all music as to whether I think it is well written and performed not on how popular it is. Popularity does not mean greatness. Macdonalds are popular but unhealthy crap just the same.
Some people are taking offence because I say that the general public are stupid and gullible. Bill the whole human race is stupid and gullible. Perhaps if we were not as stupid then we could live in harmony with each other without crime, war, greed, selfishness and poverty.
We are all gullible and in my experience the most gullible are the very ones who say they are not gullible. Anything can be sold if it is hyped and packaged correctly FACT. If you do not believe me ask the sales and marketing teams and the advertising agencies. Watch the TV and magazine ads....do you believe all what they say? If you do then you are gullible if you do not then you are in agreement with me. Sad thing is there are millions who do believe and buy crap at inflated prices.
PC ink carts are obscenely expensive yet the ink costs only pennies.....why? cause we are gullible enough to let them get away with it. Why should music be any different?
The Simon Cowell's of this world are not stupid....succesful con men rarely are. They rely on the stupidity of the masses to buy into whatever they put in front of us.
Most folk are too weak to protest and some who try to get a piece of the cake or see themselves as potential popstars are afraid to rock the boat. I understand that.

#804956 - 03/23/10 01:01 PM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: BIG JIM MERRILEES]  
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 301
billrocker Offline
Serious Contributor
billrocker  Offline
Serious Contributor

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 301
Nashville TN
Which is the better example of gullible- to generally assume that if something is wildly and rapidly successful it must be a result of hype and marketing, or to generally assume that if something is wildly and rapidly successful it must be good?

Let me guess...you have fallen prey to neither...but the rest of us have. Right?

And you did imply it was someting other than talent that was moving her forward...you said:

IMO people who make it big should be there because they are so much more talented than anybody else and the music they produce is on a plateau others cannot reach....not becuase they are hyped. Yes gaga is famous.....yes she is a star.....etc etc etc. Is her talent way above everything else that is out there? I DO NOT THINK SO.



Last edited by billrocker; 03/23/10 01:05 PM.
#804960 - 03/23/10 01:21 PM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: billrocker]  
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 10,383
John Voorpostel Offline
Top 20 Poster
John Voorpostel  Offline
Top 20 Poster

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 10,383
This is where I think you miss the boat Jim. McDonalds and other big companies are always looking for ways to part you from your dollar, and use incessant advertising to do so.

Music is not sold that way. Did you buy Beatles stuff because it was advertised or because it generated a widely reported buzz among your peers? Even in the days of payola, if the music was no good, listeners tuned out, and went somewhere else. Remember, payola only gave it a better chance to be heard. Sure it generated some sales, I can't believe it did not, but if it had nothing going for it, it dropped off the charts.


As far as what they "deserve", the key is that folks are willing to shell out $15 to $20 for a CD, (her 30 million units generate say $600 million in sales) $50 to $150 for concerts, and up to thousands (I have a client who has tickets to the Superbowl every year...shelss out about 10k apiece for them) for sporting events. The total take is in the billions and a lot of folks make money. Who should get the lion's share?

Say Gaga sells 500,000 concert tickets (10 filled stadiums at 50,000 each, or 50 dates a year at 10,000 each....both are easily attainable) at say $75 a ticket....for a take of 37.5 million. Who should get the lion's share?

You say someone who generates hundreds of millions and maybe a billion or so between CD sales and concerts is not worth much, or is overpaid?



If writing ever becomes work I think I'm going to have to stop

iAccountant --- Info L inc --- Taxboard
#804965 - 03/23/10 01:43 PM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: John Voorpostel]  
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,257
Ray E. Strode Online content
Top 30 Poster
Ray E. Strode  Online Content
Top 30 Poster

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,257
Brunswick, Ga. USA
I'm not trying to keep up with Lada GaGa. I need to know what is happening in Nashville. Who is recording, who is looking for songs. Where can I get a weekly update? Is the music advancing or declining?

Dag Nab it, they are playing the Brahms Violin Concerto on the radio. Horray, all is well!

Last edited by Ray E. Strode; 03/23/10 01:45 PM.

Ray E. Strode
#804981 - 03/23/10 02:14 PM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: John Voorpostel]  
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
BIG JIM MERRILEES Offline
BIG JIM MERRILEES  Offline

Top 20 Poster

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
Edinburgh, Scotland. UK
This is where I think you miss the boat Jim. McDonalds and other big companies are always looking for ways to part you from your dollar, and use incessant advertising to do so.

Music is not sold that way.

In a pigs eye......now who is gullible!!!!

#804989 - 03/23/10 02:47 PM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: billrocker]  
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
BIG JIM MERRILEES Offline
BIG JIM MERRILEES  Offline

Top 20 Poster

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
Edinburgh, Scotland. UK
Originally Posted by billrocker
Which is the better example of gullible- to generally assume that if something is wildly and rapidly successful it must be a result of hype and marketing, or to generally assume that if something is wildly and rapidly successful it must be good?

Let me guess...you have fallen prey to neither...but the rest of us have. Right?

And you did imply it was someting other than talent that was moving her forward...you said:

IMO people who make it big should be there because they are so much more talented than anybody else and the music they produce is on a plateau others cannot reach....not becuase they are hyped. Yes gaga is famous.....yes she is a star.....etc etc etc. Is her talent way above everything else that is out there? I DO NOT THINK SO.





Bill I do not follow your argument.....you say that you do not like gaga and do not get it. Then you defend her saying that if millions buy into the hype I must be wrong in saying she does not deserve it. You are a respected musician..use your ears and eyes....is she SO much better than the acts you see on a day to day basis?
The charts for many years has been full of imposters who have little or no musical talent. They have been sold on hype and creating a demand. The tweenies and tone deaf public buy into it.
I can spot talent from fake..I know when it is all hype and little substance.....I can see lip sync and know that these people cannot put in a decent enough live performance. I just wish others could. I judge each act and song on merit and so far few if any of the manufactured acts really deserve the fame they so easily get. As I said before anything sells if it is merchandised and packaged the right way.
I bet given the contacts, financial backing stage management and hype I could pick just about any kid off the street and make him/her a star. Does not mean they have talent just means that people are stupid enough to fall for it.

#804992 - 03/23/10 03:00 PM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: BIG JIM MERRILEES]  
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 10,383
John Voorpostel Offline
Top 20 Poster
John Voorpostel  Offline
Top 20 Poster

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 10,383
Read it all Big Jim...don't just take a few words out of context...and divert attention from your points that musicians today don't deserve what they get and are a talentless bunch supported by the gullible masses.

And say what you will, music is not sold (primarily) via advertising like other mass merchandise.

Radio play sells music (and radio stations aim for a specific audience so you get C&W, Jazz, Top 40, ez listening etc)

Concerts sell music (and the artists. Concerts are the PRIMARY way to capture and expand local markets)

Peer groups sell music.

Publicists work hard to get their artists in the news...which brings a spotlight that sells music.


McDonalds used television and radio adds and product promotions and coupons etc to spur sales. And they aim them at kids...not even the buyers..but the "influencers of the buying decision" For the same reason, Kellogs and Post cereals advertise on kids programs, not on adult programs...unless its an adult cereal.


-30


If writing ever becomes work I think I'm going to have to stop

iAccountant --- Info L inc --- Taxboard
#804995 - 03/23/10 03:21 PM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: BIG JIM MERRILEES]  
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 29,275
"Tampa Stan" Good (D) Offline
Top 10 Poster
"Tampa Stan" Good (D)  Offline
Top 10 Poster

Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 29,275
Tampa, Florida since 1973
Gawrsh, this thread is FUN!!!

Johnny V seems to assume "the days of payola" are over, but howcome DJs no longer get to pick the music they play, if that's the case? & WHY does the public LET this happen..& look the other way when Payola's merely changed Form & Players these days?

Meanwhile, Gaga's the Latest Incarnation of Someone-Who-Can-Shock-Our-Parents...(WITH a good bit of Overall Talent, JMO/Hey, say what ya want, it takes a Certain Talent to sleep with The RIGHT Producer!) I remember when KISS got popular (very) with platform shoes/Makeup Jobs & Freaky Costumes...& Tossaway Hits like "I Want to Rock & Roll All Night"... Took far LESS Production than what Gaga has to go through..but, heh, THOSE guys are considered "Classics" & Gene Simmonds has his own Reality Show..at this Late Date.

"Don't stop/ for anyone/We're plastic/but we'll still have fun" goes one verse of Gaga's "PAPARAZZI" Hit.

I dunno WHY we've gotta Analyze Someone's Success "to death", but That Verse sorta says-it-all. Sooner or later, what's "Cutting Edge" gets kinda-dull...whether it's Platform Shoes...or Costumes that look like you're Duchamp's "Nude Descending a Staircase"...& Only The SONGS Remain.

I Googled lyrics to "Caught in a Bad Romance"...hmmm...not much better than "My Baby Does the Hanky-Panky"...back in "My Day"...
but it's Hook-Laden & catchy-enough to have caught on WITHOUT a lotta Payola, JMO.

Waal, back to Lurk Mode, knowing full-well that The Music Biz'll continue full-tilt without needing any of Our Opinions!

Best Wishes/Big Hugs,
Stan



#805002 - 03/23/10 04:08 PM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: ]  
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
BIG JIM MERRILEES Offline
BIG JIM MERRILEES  Offline

Top 20 Poster

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
Edinburgh, Scotland. UK
Last word John.... Pop music is manufactured and processed....it is advertised through TV performances and radio play.....Getting on this payola is near impossible unless you are with the establishment and one of their acts. Talent does not even enter the equation.

GAGA is noticed for all the wrong reasons as I stated earlier. If she has to stoop to wearing outrageous indecent garb and flashing her boobies to sell records and get publicity then that tells me two things.
1. She has little self respect and low morals.
2. She has very little musical talent.

To be fair to your points though it seems that nowadays anyone who wants to make it in the business has to follow that template. No need to spend years learning how to play instruments, taking vocal tuition and honing your talents. You just need to look pretty screw a director and flash your boobies at everyone. Then your talent will sell millions.

#805008 - 03/23/10 04:44 PM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: BIG JIM MERRILEES]  
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 183
Ethan Offline
Serious Contributor
Ethan  Offline
Serious Contributor

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 183
Washington State, USA
If it were just a matter of showing skin and looking pretty...I can think of tens of thousands of "talent-less" women that should be doing as well or better than Lady gaga, because she's not a particularly "endowed" or advantaged woman.

I think the formula you described above, Jim, falls a little short on that argument. Besides which, she is a talented vocalist, pianist and performer - obviously she honed her craft.

-Ethan

#805016 - 03/23/10 05:36 PM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: Ethan]  
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 10,383
John Voorpostel Offline
Top 20 Poster
John Voorpostel  Offline
Top 20 Poster

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 10,383
BJ, that the music business is tightly controlled by the money...I'll agree. Try getting on Saturday Night Live or a major talk show without major backing...very difficult I'm sure. Some are more generous than others (I doubt for example that SNL is an easy to get gig while Letterman is more daring and less beholden to the powers that be). And yes, I'm sure payola is still around in different clothes, but still, the ultimate vote comes from the buyers pockets...and I give them more credit that you do.


Lastly,

"If she has to stoop to wearing outrageous indecent garb and flashing her boobies to sell records and get publicity then that tells me two things.
1. She has little self respect and low morals.


Maybe she has more self confidance, more daring, more flamboyance, a greater sense of adventure, or maybe she is less repressed, less inhibited, less self conscious.... I could go on here but I think I've made my point


2. She has very little musical talent.


As a crown attorney might say "I rest my case on the evidence Your Honour"



If writing ever becomes work I think I'm going to have to stop

iAccountant --- Info L inc --- Taxboard
#805120 - 03/23/10 11:19 PM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: billrocker]  
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 5,575
Little_stevie_b Offline
Top 50 Poster
Little_stevie_b  Offline
Top 50 Poster

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 5,575
Hickory, North Carolina USA
Who is Lady GaGa? Shows how much I stay up with current trends.

#805125 - 03/23/10 11:31 PM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: Little_stevie_b]  
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
BIG JIM MERRILEES Offline
BIG JIM MERRILEES  Offline

Top 20 Poster

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
Edinburgh, Scotland. UK
John


Point 1 The public can only buy what is in front of them so no backing and promo...no sales.... They cannot set trends they can only pick from what is there to buy.

Point 2 There is a subtle but distinct difference between self confidence, flamboyance, less inhibited, self conscious (I am all of these things).....AND being just plain lewd and tartish ( I am not she is)

Point 3 She has very little musical talent......Her chord progs are basic and her lyrics are moronic. Not that great a singer.

#805127 - 03/23/10 11:40 PM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: BIG JIM MERRILEES]  
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,478
Kevin Edward Rose Offline
Top 200 Poster
Kevin Edward Rose  Offline
Top 200 Poster

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,478
Richmond, IN U.S.A.
I know this has been posted before, but in the context of this discussion, I think it is worth viewing again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owT0lvqtdmI


Kevin Edward Rose
Celtic, Americana, whatever the folk.
Hailed by Performing Songwriter magazine as a "valued subscriber".
More music sold than Elvis and the Beatles combined!*
http://www.KevinEdwardRose.com
http://www.youtube.com/KevinEdwardRose
#805449 - 03/25/10 02:06 AM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: BIG JIM MERRILEES]  
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 301
billrocker Offline
Serious Contributor
billrocker  Offline
Serious Contributor

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 301
Nashville TN
Big Jim,

You said:

Bill I do not follow your argument.....you say that you do not like gaga and do not get it. Then you defend her saying that if millions buy into the hype I must be wrong in saying she does not deserve it. You are a respected musician..use your ears and eyes....is she SO much better than the acts you see on a day to day basis?

You always read 1 or two sentences of my posts and then fire back so I'll keep this short. I'm open minded enough to know that just because I don't like something doesn't always mean it automaticslly sucks. I'm suggesting that you aren't. I didn't say that gaga IS good. I'm just saying that she MAY be good and maybe I still have something new to learn to appreciate. The data would suggest that may be the case. You discount the data wholly as not only irrelevant but fraudulent.

My parents hated the Beatles when they first came out for the EXACT SAME REASONS you hate Lady GAGA...the Beatles were outside the world they knew and felt comfortable in. You can make your world as big or small as you want to. I can't stand her so am I as guilty as you and my parents? It's not the music I've decided to hate...it's the obscenity. I don't get the music but she's not off key and she can sing her arse off so for me the jury's out on the music.

Bill
www.writethismusic.com

Last edited by billrocker; 03/25/10 02:41 AM.
#805459 - 03/25/10 02:34 AM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: BIG JIM MERRILEES]  
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 301
billrocker Offline
Serious Contributor
billrocker  Offline
Serious Contributor

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 301
Nashville TN
Originally Posted by BIG JIM MERRILEES
Her chord progs are basic...


DID YOU ACTUALLY SAY THAT????!!!!!

ARRRRGGGGGGG Why do I argue with you?????

[Hey, for some strange reason "Hey Jude" just popped in my mind. Isn't that weird that happens sometimes?]

Dude, I'm very sorry but I can no longer take you seriously after that one.

OUtta here...
Bill

#805463 - 03/25/10 02:50 AM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: Ray E. Strode]  
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 301
billrocker Offline
Serious Contributor
billrocker  Offline
Serious Contributor

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 301
Nashville TN
Ray,

You said,
I'm not trying to keep up with Lada GaGa. I need to know what is happening in Nashville. Who is recording, who is looking for songs. Where can I get a weekly update? Is the music advancing or declining?

Dag Nab it, they are playing the Brahms Violin Concerto on the radio. Horray, all is well!



I wish I could answer your questions but I'm all about Lady GaGa these days. Sorry.

Send me a song. You get a free song eval for the funniest post in the thread.

NOW I'm outta here.

b
www.writethismusic.com

#805561 - 03/25/10 03:21 PM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: billrocker]  
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
BIG JIM MERRILEES Offline
BIG JIM MERRILEES  Offline

Top 20 Poster

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
Edinburgh, Scotland. UK
Bill "Bad Romance"..... C C C G Am...... mostly all the way through what can be more BASIC than that.

We agree on her crassness and obscenity.

My point if you actually read all my posts (I do read all of yours) is not so much that she is crap more like...what does she offer that is so special?
Nothing much IMO.
Please tell me why I am SO wrong saying that her chord structure is basic.

#805566 - 03/25/10 03:26 PM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: BIG JIM MERRILEES]  
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
BIG JIM MERRILEES Offline
BIG JIM MERRILEES  Offline

Top 20 Poster

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
Edinburgh, Scotland. UK
I am sorry so many of you measure talent or success and greatness by only looking at the numbers first.
I look at the content.....I make up my own mind based on what I see and hear. Sales figures do not necessarily reflect musical talent or prowess.

#805574 - 03/25/10 03:58 PM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: BIG JIM MERRILEES]  
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 10,383
John Voorpostel Offline
Top 20 Poster
John Voorpostel  Offline
Top 20 Poster

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 10,383
Thank you for bringing an end to this discussion Big Jim, because you've boiled down your argument to its weakest element.

Your personal opinion of her music, her talent, its content etc, is only that...your subjective opinion. I'll add it is as valid as anyone else's opinion that runs contrary to yours...and I'll even concede that with your experience, it deserves more credence than opinions from those with less exposure.

But your opinion is still merely that...your opinion.

The problem is that you assert that your opinion as fact, a universal fact. In reality, it is merely a "value judgement"

I would not have challenged you if you said...in my opinion, LGG is a talentless hack who does not deserve to be where she is. Everyone is on your case because you say, as if it is fact, she's a talentless hack who does not deserve to be where she is.

Its kinda like libel. I can always say, "in my opinion, Big Jim Merrilees is a lying thieving syphillic cheat with delusions of musical competence", but I cannot state it as fact. People can then take my opinion for what it's worth.... a sackful of excrement.

Now your statements concerning the behaviour of the industry...those are far less subjective.

And I suppose you are right in that I am defending her talent via her results and not via her substance. But I did try that and your value judgement would not accept it. So I mentioned results to say a lot of people voted with their pockets...so they certainly appreciate her entertainment value....but you basically said those people are mindless fools


If writing ever becomes work I think I'm going to have to stop

iAccountant --- Info L inc --- Taxboard
#805579 - 03/25/10 04:18 PM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: John Voorpostel]  
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 10,383
John Voorpostel Offline
Top 20 Poster
John Voorpostel  Offline
Top 20 Poster

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 10,383
Oh, back to music itself for a moment....the chords and chord progressions are , in my opinion, meaningless. It's all about the melody, rhythm, arrangement, and lyric that "flows through" the progression.

By your statement, what can be more basic and G C D ? Yet some brilliant songs have been written using that most basic of progressions.

By your statement, what happens if I transpose to a different key and start introducing more difficult to play chords? What happens if I play C and Am in different voicings. Does it suddenly become better?

By your statement, most rock and roll is crap, basic blues is entirely crap, and down the crapper goes "three chords and a sad story"




If writing ever becomes work I think I'm going to have to stop

iAccountant --- Info L inc --- Taxboard
#805582 - 03/25/10 04:32 PM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: John Voorpostel]  
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,531
Mark Kaufman Offline
Mark Kaufman  Offline

Top 40 Poster

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,531
Minneapolis
Lady Gaga is so yesterday. I have seen the future, and it is Louis Armstrong Death Metal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLkOYHYQ2tc&feature

#805590 - 03/25/10 04:41 PM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: Mark Kaufman]  
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,554
Jack Swain Offline
Top 200 Poster
Jack Swain  Offline
Top 200 Poster

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,554
Berwyn, IL, US
You have all gone goo goo for gaga! Me, I gotta go go!

#805596 - 03/25/10 05:27 PM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: John Voorpostel]  
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
BIG JIM MERRILEES Offline
BIG JIM MERRILEES  Offline

Top 20 Poster

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
Edinburgh, Scotland. UK
Originally Posted by John Voorpostel
Oh, back to music itself for a moment....the chords and chord progressions are , in my opinion, meaningless. It's all about the melody, rhythm, arrangement, and lyric that "flows through" the progression.

By your statement, what can be more basic and G C D ? Yet some brilliant songs have been written using that most basic of progressions.

By your statement, what happens if I transpose to a different key and start introducing more difficult to play chords? What happens if I play C and Am in different voicings. Does it suddenly become better?

By your statement, most rock and roll is crap, basic blues is entirely crap, and down the crapper goes "three chords and a sad story"





Simplistic is perhaps a better word. There has been some great three chorders but that is not my point. I use the word crap as to mean nothing more than she is nothing special or out of the ordinary. Lets not get bogged down with symantics. I think everyone knows what I mean it just seems that most folk are splitting hairs.
For the record PLEASE tell ME why you think she merits all this attention and why you think she IS even above average when it comes to writing and performing. I have seen or heard nothing that sets her apart from the many thousand wannabes who play pinao and sing.

#805622 - 03/25/10 06:30 PM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: BIG JIM MERRILEES]  
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 10,383
John Voorpostel Offline
Top 20 Poster
John Voorpostel  Offline
Top 20 Poster

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 10,383
5 reasons, IMO

The music is danceable...has a great beat

She sings the songs well

Her songs have memorable hooks

Her songs "stand out" in the market

I have seen her songs done fully produced and "unplugged" and either way, the songs are good.



And there's probably is no "magic bullet" that sets her far apart from the crowd talent (singing, songwriting) wise, but I do believe she IS

that unique individual (person, training, experience, drive, connections)

who was at the right place (New York) in the right industry (songwriting) with reasonable success (as Stefani Germotta (sp?),

who made the right connections (industry, fashion)

who saw and was able to exploit the opportunities that opened up for her.


So yeah, I get the part that others have the necessasry, and perhaps some even have more, talent that "deserves" success...but more goes into the equation than raw talent...


If writing ever becomes work I think I'm going to have to stop

iAccountant --- Info L inc --- Taxboard
#805625 - 03/25/10 06:43 PM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: John Voorpostel]  
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,531
Mark Kaufman Offline
Mark Kaufman  Offline

Top 40 Poster

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,531
Minneapolis
Now try to explain why ANYONE merits attention and stands out above the rest. It's not an easily explainable thing, and usually ends up with a statement such as "it's obvious".

The sales tell me she connects with million, while others choose to believe millions are not in control of their own opinions or pleasures.

I like her because I think she has it all--talent, entertainment, fun, star quality and good music.

#805631 - 03/25/10 07:07 PM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: Mark Kaufman]  
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 454
Aaron Johnson Offline
Serious Contributor
Aaron Johnson  Offline
Serious Contributor

Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 454
BC Canada
HAHAHAHA MArk you are the MAN!! right arm "Its obvious" hahahaha I think I control my own I guess I am lucky or crazy like that


Aaron Johnson
#805649 - 03/25/10 08:00 PM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: Aaron Johnson]  
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 10,383
John Voorpostel Offline
Top 20 Poster
John Voorpostel  Offline
Top 20 Poster

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 10,383
Actually Mark, those are the long lived acts...The Neil Youngs, David Bowies, Paul Simons, Madonnas etc...

The have entertained us for decades. They are not only good, but consistently good...but even they drop the ball every once in awhile, despite record company hype.

ie
Neil Young's Transformer
David Bowie's Low and Berlin years(at least to me)
Paul Simon's Rhythm of the Saints (maybe Graceland was too hard an act to follow)


If writing ever becomes work I think I'm going to have to stop

iAccountant --- Info L inc --- Taxboard
#805782 - 03/26/10 04:26 AM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: BIG JIM MERRILEES]  
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 301
billrocker Offline
Serious Contributor
billrocker  Offline
Serious Contributor

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 301
Nashville TN
Jim, You said:

Simplistic is perhaps a better word. There has been some great three chorders but that is not my point. I use the word crap as to mean nothing more than she is nothing special or out of the ordinary.
I know I said I wouldn't continue this but John V NAILED it. We love ya Big Jim. We just want you to respect our opinions, not call a lot of us stupid and gullible and too clueless to realize what you hage deemned as fact.

One more thing...I'd say if you can make millions of dollars with 3 chords, and don't HAVE to get more complicated than that,
you've got a handle on something other than mastery of the publicity stunt. Many have tried and failed...J Lo comes to mind as one who looked a lot better, made a LOT bigger splash, did the payola thing, you name it. But in the end she couldn't back it up with the musical goods. Now it's J who? That disproves your theory that talent isn't an issue...lock stock and barrel.

Here's where you might consider saying, "I don't agree at all , but who knows Bill, maybe I'm wrong and you're right. I guess time will tell." instead of, "Bill, you're a clueless gullible fool."

With respect,

Bill
www.writethismusic.com

#805814 - 03/26/10 10:22 AM Re: Lady GaGa rules JPF! [Re: billrocker]  
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
BIG JIM MERRILEES Offline
BIG JIM MERRILEES  Offline

Top 20 Poster

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,463
Edinburgh, Scotland. UK
Bill I am generalising when I say the public are stupid and gullible...please do not take it personally...I include myself when I say that.
Anyone with half a brain and a decent ear can tell crap from class. That said most of the music in the public eye MTV and TV and radio etc (payola) is just noise to the averasge Joe and they will buy into what ever fashionable noise is put in front of them. They buy noise not music.
I was once working in a club and the acts that were playing (except me of course LOL) were very poor and way below standard. The guy who ran the club, a pretty good musician himself, told me that the audience do not know any better and as long as there is noise aproximating music they will be happy.
Sadly, I hope I am wrong, but that is how I see the business. It does not matter how good or bad a musician you are,it does not really matter how hard you work or the songs you perform. It is all down to playing the game and hoping you get lucky. IMO talent has little to do with getting on in the business.

My daughter just bought a gaga album and we were listening to it last night. My daughter is 26 and has a pretty broad range and taste in music. She is not a bad singer and actress she stars in semi pro theatre productions. She is my worst critic. I asked her what she thought of gaga. "Well she is OK but nothing special" she said. I would rather listen to you.
What do you think of her singing I asked. "Hard to tell with so much melodyne and other effects she could have been singing anything" she said.
Let us just clarify....that is my opinion of gaga also.

I do respect your opinion Bill even if sometimes I disagree. What I did not understand why when you agreed with almost everything I said about gagas talent you got aeriated at me.
Musical taste all depends on location, upbringing, peer pressure and what is actually available. Some people have little or no interest in music whilst others devote their lives to it.
One thing though any lover of music wants to be the best, see the best and hear the best. I am afraid that the powers that be who determine what is going to be punted at the public obviously are not lovers of music. They are just lovers of money.
I think the public deserve better. I also think that the musicans and songwriters deserve better than a lottery. I believe that true talent should be rewarded. That is why I constantly fight our corner.
Interesting to see where you differ from that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Support Just Plain Folks

We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.


Membership
Join Just Plain Folks
to receive the free
JPNotes Newsletter!
*this is separate from
message board registration*

Newest Members
Milo5000, Lilly, OralHistoryWSU, AntonyRobWells, malcosica478
21221 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums116
Topics119,313
Posts1,124,444
Members21,221
Average Posts Daily26
Most Online1,559
Sep 13th, 2019
Just Plain Quotes
"I treat all the Just Plain Folks I meet like they are Superstars, and I treat all the Superstars I meet like they are Just Plain Folks. It seems to work perfectly! -Brian Austin Whitney
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Popular Topics(Views)
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0