Not sure if this is in the right place or not. I didn't see an "introductions" forum, so...
I'm Kenny Chaffin a newbie songwriter but have been writing prose and poetry for some time now and had a short stint with songwriting a few years back. I'm a Software Engineer in order to support my creative side. I've moved back to writing, poetry, and music over the last year and plan to focus on my songwriting and maybe move up to at least the first step on that ladder. I have no real intent at this point to do this as a career, but I do intend to take it seriously and to learn and grow. That being said, here are my goals:
2008 Songwriting Goals
1) Write at least 12 Significant and Complete song Lyrics (daily lyric writing 1-2 hrs)
2) Enter Lyric Contests Enter each (6 entries - bimonthly) American Songwriter Lyric contest. Enter my best Lyric in the Great American Song Lyric contest.
3) Find and work with at least one collabrator that composes music.
4) Learn and practice music/compositions skills in order to create complete songs with lyric, melody, harmony, rhythm (daily practice - guitar, keyboard, Sonar)
5) Write at least one complete/significant song on my own (lyric, melody, harmony, rhythm)
6) Continue to Study/Read/Learn from existing songwriters: books, online (study and crits of other's songs), listening and analyzing.
7) Learn/Continue to learn more about the songwriting business and begin to make contacts/associations/etc.
Feel free to comment on these (as unrealistic or ??). Also I'd be interested in hearing your goals for the year.