Some of the top songwriters from across Michigan will perform in a benefit concert for WDET-FM, Detroit Public Radio, on Saturday, October 8th.

The Western Michigan duo Stage Fright Remedy, Detroit area favorite Whit Hill and the Postcards, Ann Arbor’s Bob Skon, Northern Michigan’s David Runyan and Brian Whitscell, and special guest David Mosher – all five acts will share the stage at the beautiful new Village Theater at Cherry Hill in Canton for a special 2½ hour performance, featuring winning songs from the 2005 Michigan Songwriting Contest.

The concert starts at 7:30 pm, and tickets are $15. Tickets can be charged by calling the Village Theater box office at (734) 394-5300. Canton Township owns the Village Theater and is co-producing the event. The theater address is 50400 Cherry Hill Road. For more information, visit the contest website at www.GreatLakesSongs.com.

It will be the first Detroit-area appearance for Stage Fright Remedy, the sister-brother duo from Niles, Michigan, who were recently heard on the Prairie Home Companion radio show. Rachel and Taylor Clark won the radio show’s Teen Talent Search in 2005. They were double winners in the Michigan Songwriting Contest for their songs “Not Over You” and “My Casanova.” Their father, Doug Clark, who was himself a touring singer-songwriter in the ‘90s, co-wrote both songs.

Whitley Setrakian Hill is well known in Ann Arbor for “People Dancing,” the dance company she founded after graduating from U of M. She choreographed and performed in over 60 dance and theater works before leaving the dance stage for a music career. In 2001, she formed Whit Hill and the Postcards, an alt-country quartet that includes her husband and renowned piano player, Al Hill. Her two winning songs, “Lucy on the Line” and “Where Are You in the Morning?” are from the critically acclaimed 2003 release, “We Are Here.” She and her group keep a busy concert schedule, from the Wheatland Music Festival to the Ann Arbor Art fairs. She and her group are currently at work on a new album.

The chief engineer for University of Michigan public radio stations WUOM, WFUM-FM, and WVGR, Bob Skon has been singing, playing guitar and writing songs for almost 30 years. His winning song, “Till I Stop Thinking About Her,” was written after a long relationship had broken up. Bob explains, “I had just started dating again and wanted to write a song about the end of an era and the start of something new. What I ended up with was a song about that place in between.” The song appears on Bob’s new CD “2nd Time Around,” to be released in mid September.

After years of working separately in bands, studios and other music-related activities, the Northern Michigan duo of David Runyan and Brian Whitscell started writing songs together about seven years ago. Their songs have been featured on three volumes of “Northern Michigan Rocks,” a compilation CD produced by WKLT-FM of Traverse City. Both Dave and Brian are professional sound engineers: Dave and his wife founded Runyan Media, a remote recording facility in Dave’s hometown of Bellaire, while Brian spends his time songwriting, recording and producing out of his White-Cellar Studio in Traverse City. Dave started writing their winning song, “All I’ll Ever Ask,” as a birthday present for his wife, Monique, then later collaborated with Brian to finish the piece.

Special guest David Mosher will perform several of the winning songs from the 2005 Michigan Songwriting Contest. A virtuoso musician with a fine tenor voice, David is a member of The Raisin Pickers and a frequent partner with children’s musician Julie Austin. Well known as a session musician, producer, and songwriter, he has toured nationally with several well-known country, folk and bluegrass groups.

For more information, go to www.GreatLakesSongs.com or www.MichSongs.com.