Who's Online Now
21 registered members (Fdemetrio, AntonyRobWells, Dave Rice, Gavin Sinclair, CTthomas, couchgrouch, Everett Adams, Guy E. Trepanier, 4 invisible), and 943 guests, and
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Member Spotlight
Ellen M
Ellen M
Saint Augustine, Florida
Posts: 294
Joined: July 2009
Show All Member Profiles 
What's Going On
Any suggestions
by Martin Lide. 12/07/19 04:22 PM
Loss
by Ricki E. Bellos. 12/07/19 03:04 PM
Your Underrated Songwriters
by Fdemetrio. 12/07/19 02:27 PM
"Early Morning Blues."
by MFB III. 12/07/19 12:46 PM
Nashville Don't do Country Anymore
by John W Selleck. 12/07/19 04:59 AM
Soldiers Field now musicated. Travis and Vic
by Travis david. 12/07/19 04:22 AM
FREE Demo for Christmas - ENDS in 6 DAYS
by Roy Cooper. 12/07/19 02:21 AM
Wallflower
by John W Selleck. 12/06/19 10:48 PM
The Lost Church, Dec. 8, 2019, 4 PM.
by Gary E. Andrews. 12/06/19 08:48 PM
Still getting over you
by the_lyricwriter. 12/06/19 08:42 PM
Still Getting over you
by the_lyricwriter. 12/06/19 08:40 PM
America I Know We’re Strong
by CTthomas. 12/06/19 06:44 PM
Has anyone worked with EastCraft Recording?
by bethanykoubsky. 12/06/19 03:23 PM
America I Know We’re Strong
by CTthomas. 12/06/19 11:23 AM
I remember
by CTthomas. 12/06/19 10:53 AM
Right Under Your Nose
by beechnut79. 12/06/19 10:51 AM
The Accidental Hero
by beechnut79. 12/06/19 10:47 AM
THE LOST CHAD SONG
by Ray E. Strode. 12/06/19 10:42 AM
Mexico
by MFB III. 12/06/19 12:44 AM
"The Gangster Trap."-by-J.A. Prod.Beat & Me!
by MFB III. 12/06/19 12:41 AM
All you get is me
by JAPOV. 12/05/19 11:35 PM
"If The Stars Can't Wait!.
by MFB III. 12/05/19 10:23 PM
Rising from the Dead (Updated)
by Deej56. 12/05/19 09:46 PM
December 1, 2019 Columbus, Ohio
by Gary E. Andrews. 12/05/19 09:36 PM
Uphill Both Ways
by John W Selleck. 12/05/19 08:43 PM
The cleverest JPF song (lyric wise)
by couchgrouch. 12/05/19 06:06 PM
Explodin' Jeans
by John W Selleck. 12/05/19 05:28 PM
Christmas In Our Home Town by Lowell Gaines
by David_Pulizzi. 12/05/19 01:29 PM
Adios Amigo
by couchgrouch. 12/05/19 12:51 PM
Not Your Thing
by beechnut79. 12/05/19 11:39 AM
Top Posters(All Time)
Calvin 19,789
Travis david 11,638
Kevin Emmrich 10,568
Jean Bullock 10,330
Kaley Willow 10,240
Two Singers 9,600
Joice Marie 9,186
Mackie H. 8,844
glynda 8,613
Mike Dunbar 8,574
Tricia Baker 8,318
Colin Ward 7,907
couchgrouch 7,622
Dave Rice 7,410
Corey 7,357
Wyman Lloyd 6,578
Mark Kaufman 6,561
Joe Wrabek 6,403
Vicarn 6,184
ben willis 6,106
Lynn Orloff 5,788
Louis 5,725
Linda Sings 5,608
niteshift 5,519
KimberlyinNC 5,210
Neil Cotton 4,909
Derek Hines 4,893
DonnaMarilyn 4,652
Blake Hill 4,528
Bob Cushing 4,363
Bill Osofsky 4,199
Tom Shea 4,179
Cindy Miller 4,178
Roy Cooper 4,166
nightengale 4,092
TamsNumber4 4,075
MFB III 3,865
Caroline 3,865
Kolstad 3,813
Dan Sullivan 3,710
beechnut79 3,523
Dottie 3,427
E Swartz 3,420
joewatt 3,411
Bill Cooper 3,279
John Hoffman 3,199
Skip Johnson 3,027
Pam Hurley 3,007
Terry G 3,005
PopTodd 2,890
Harriet Ames 2,870
Nigel Quin 2,812
MidniteBob 2,707
Nelson 2,581
Tom Tracy 2,558
Polly Hager 2,526
Jerry Jakala 2,524
Al Alvarez 2,499
Eric Thome 2,448
Hummingbird 2,401
Stan Loh 2,263
Sam Wilson 2,242
Judy Hollier 2,232
Wendy D 2,218
Erica Ellis 2,202
TrumanCoyote 2,096
Marty Helly 2,022
DukeWill 1,987
floyd jane 1,982
maccharles 1,961
Clint Anglin 1,904
cindyrella 1,888
David Wright 1,866
Clairejeanne 1,851
Cindy LaRosa 1,824
Ronald Boyt 1,675
Iggy 1,650
Noel Downs 1,620
Martin Lide 1,603
Rick Heenan 1,597
Cal 1,574
Jack Swain 1,554
Pete Larsen 1,537
Fdemetrio 1,531
Ann Tygart 1,529
Tom Breshers 1,487
RogerS 1,462
Tom Franz 1,455
GocartMoz 1,441
Chuck Crowe 1,441
Ralph Blight 1,440
Kenneth Cade 1,429
Rick Norton 1,428
bholt 1,411
Letha Allen 1,408
in2piano 1,404
Stan Simons 1,402
mattbanx 1,384
Jen Shaner 1,373
Charlie Wong 1,347
KevinP 1,324
Vondelle 1,316
Tom W. 1,313
Jan Petter 1,301
scottandrew 1,292
DakLander 1,265
PeteG 1,242
Ian Ferrin 1,230
Glen King 1,214
IdeaGuy 1,209
AaronAuthier 1,177
Diane Ewing 1,158
Gerry 1,144
summeoyo 1,126
lane1777 1,118
Deej56 1,095
joro 1,082
BobbyJoe 1,075
S.DEE 1,040
yann 1,037
Tony A 1,016
argo 986
peaden 984
Wolvman 960
IronKnee 947
Jak Kelly 912
krtinberg 890
9ne 887
Drifter 886
Petra 883
90 dB 870
RJC 845
Brenda152 840
Nadia 829
Juan 797
TKO 784
frahmes 781
teletwang 762
Andy K 744
tbryson 737
Andy Kemp 733
ant 732
Jackie444 731
3daveyO3 704
Dayson 703
Dixie 701
Joy Boy 695
Knute 686
Lee Arten 678
Katziis 652
R.T.MOORE 638
quality 637
Irwin 630
CG King 622
Pat Hardy 621
douglas 621
Mel 614
Moosesong 604
NaomiSue 601
Shandy 589
Ria 587
TAMERA64 583
qbaum 570
nitepiano 566
pRISCILLA 556
Tink2 553
musica 539
deanbell 528
RobertK 527
BonzaiWag 523
Roderic 522
BB Wilbur 511
goodfolks 499
R&M 493
Zeek 487
Stu 486
Steve P. 481
JAPOV 469
KathyW 462
allenb 459
MaxG 458
Philjo 454
fanito 448
trush48 448
dmk 442
arealrush 437
DGR 436
avweek 435
Stephen D 433
Emmy 431
Rob L 426
marquez 422
kit 419
Softkrome 417
kyrksongs 415
RRon 408
Laura G. 407
VNORTH 407
Debra 407
eb 406
cuebald 399
EdPerrone 399
Dannyk1 395
Hobart 395
Davyboy49 393
Smile 389
GJShades 387
Ezt 384
tone 380
Marla 380
Cecilee 379
iggyiggy 378
coalminer 377
java 374
spidey 371
Register Today!
Welcome to the Just Plain Folks forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a Guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and to other features.

By joining our free community you will have access to post and respond to topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#1157231 - 10/02/19 03:08 PM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: Michael Zaneski]  
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,531
Fdemetrio Online content
Top 200 Poster
Fdemetrio  Online Content
Top 200 Poster

Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,531
Originally Posted by Michael Zaneski
dB,

For the record, no, I WAS NOT gonna respond after Gavin, though I DID SEE that his was a disguised ad hominem attack.

After your response, there were attacks from BOTH SIDES.

If you knew me, you'd know I hate it when people fight.

So after BOTH of you had attacked each other, perhaps in my misguided attempt at "fairness" I then thought it the right time to say something.

And I don't appreciate the insinuation that I was lying.


I see why he got upset, sometimes its just the timing of the remark. The person who spoke last, seems to be the recipient of the comment, or takes it that way

Chicken chit stuff, guys. Anybody want a beer?

#1157232 - 10/02/19 03:12 PM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: Fdemetrio]  
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,089
Michael Zaneski Offline
Top 50 Poster
Michael Zaneski  Offline
Top 50 Poster

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,089
California
FD,

I could use one but I quit drinking 12 years ago and not gonna lose that over this.

I am shaking..

I am supposed to be singing a demo, right now..

This place can be VERY toxic.

You have become a voice of reason (or maybe always were) and I appreciate that. smile


Mike

Last edited by Michael Zaneski; 10/02/19 03:17 PM.

Fate doesn't hang on a wrong or right choice
Fortune depends on the tone of your voice

-The Divine Comedy (Neil Hannon)
from the song "Songs of Love"
from the album "Casanova" (1996)
#1157234 - 10/02/19 03:17 PM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: Michael Zaneski]  
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,531
Fdemetrio Online content
Top 200 Poster
Fdemetrio  Online Content
Top 200 Poster

Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,531
Originally Posted by Michael Zaneski
FD,

I could use one but I quit drinking 12 years ago and not gonna lose that over this.

I am shaking..

I am supposed to be singing a demo, right now..

This place can be VERY toxic.

You have become a voice of reason (or maybe always were) and I appreciate that. smile


Mike


Congrats on the sobriety, ill buy you an O'Doul's

#1157235 - 10/02/19 03:17 PM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: Fdemetrio]  
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,089
Michael Zaneski Offline
Top 50 Poster
Michael Zaneski  Offline
Top 50 Poster

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,089
California
Originally Posted by Fdemetrio
Originally Posted by Michael Zaneski
FD,

I could use one but I quit drinking 12 years ago and not gonna lose that over this.

I am shaking..

I am supposed to be singing a demo, right now..

This place can be VERY toxic.

You have become a voice of reason (or maybe always were) and I appreciate that. smile


Mike


Congrats on the sobriety, ill buy you an O'Doul's


smile


Fate doesn't hang on a wrong or right choice
Fortune depends on the tone of your voice

-The Divine Comedy (Neil Hannon)
from the song "Songs of Love"
from the album "Casanova" (1996)
#1157236 - 10/02/19 03:18 PM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: couchgrouch]  
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,089
Michael Zaneski Offline
Top 50 Poster
Michael Zaneski  Offline
Top 50 Poster

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,089
California
I think we both came from argumentative parents...so some of us grow up wanting to be peacemakers...


Fate doesn't hang on a wrong or right choice
Fortune depends on the tone of your voice

-The Divine Comedy (Neil Hannon)
from the song "Songs of Love"
from the album "Casanova" (1996)
#1157237 - 10/02/19 03:21 PM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: Michael Zaneski]  
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,531
Fdemetrio Online content
Top 200 Poster
Fdemetrio  Online Content
Top 200 Poster

Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,531
Originally Posted by Michael Zaneski
I think we both came from argumentative parents...so some of us grow up wanting to be peacemakers...


Well, I could tell you stories of fist fights, or near fist fights, at family picnics, over some of the most inane stuff, like what football player changed the game more...lol

I can be very argumentitive, it must do something for me, maybe it relieves stress.

But these days our family picnics are devoid of politics. We have brothers and sisters on both sides of the fence so there is a mutual agreement to stay away.


Last edited by Fdemetrio; 10/02/19 03:22 PM.
#1157238 - 10/02/19 03:32 PM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: Michael Zaneski]  
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 847
Gavin Sinclair Online content
Top 500 Poster
Gavin Sinclair  Online Content
Top 500 Poster

Joined: May 2017
Posts: 847
Conover, North Carolina, USA
Originally Posted by Michael Zaneski
dB,

For the record, no, I WAS NOT gonna respond after Gavin, though I DID SEE that his was a disguised ad hominem attack....

I think you are right. There is an ad hominem element in my remark. It was a pretty cunning disguise because it fooled me too smile I wasn't implying that 90dB was personally waging a war on truth; that is something that I personally consider the kind of websites under discussion to be guilty of. That's my opinion and nobody else is obliged to share it smile

Actually, this is kind of a hot button for me, and I should probably just shut up, follow Fdemetrio's suggestion and have a beer. Cheers!

#1157240 - 10/02/19 04:23 PM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: Gavin Sinclair]  
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,089
Michael Zaneski Offline
Top 50 Poster
Michael Zaneski  Offline
Top 50 Poster

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,089
California
--
Originally Posted by Gavin Sinclair
Originally Posted by Michael Zaneski
dB,

For the record, no, I WAS NOT gonna respond after Gavin, though I DID SEE that his was a disguised ad hominem attack....

I think you are right. There is an ad hominem element in my remark. It was a pretty cunning disguise because it fooled me too smile I wasn't implying that 90dB was personally waging a war on truth; that is something that I personally consider the kind of websites under discussion to be guilty of. That's my opinion and nobody else is obliged to share it smile

Actually, this is kind of a hot button for me, and I should probably just shut up, follow Fdemetrio's suggestion and have a beer. Cheers!


<clink of bottles, mine Odoul's, LOL>

Yep, it assumes that what dB knows is not true without attempting to forward the dialogue with anything meaningful. But you own it. smile

I've been trying to get vocals done and have been poking in and out, and only saw your remarks minutes before dBs response .

The assumption should not be we are all glued to JPF, hitting the update key every minute.



Last edited by Michael Zaneski; 10/02/19 04:54 PM.

Fate doesn't hang on a wrong or right choice
Fortune depends on the tone of your voice

-The Divine Comedy (Neil Hannon)
from the song "Songs of Love"
from the album "Casanova" (1996)
#1157241 - 10/02/19 05:29 PM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: Fdemetrio]  
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,603
Martin Lide Online content
Top 200 Poster
Martin Lide  Online Content
Top 200 Poster

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,603
Houston, Texas
Originally Posted by Fdemetrio
Originally Posted by Martin Lide
Folks

We all love writing songs. That is our union.
Political threads are poison. I suggest that you guys fade this quickly to black.

Sincerely

Martin


Yes, but it's also a microcosm of the world/internet today. One would never think a songwriting forum could be used to show the problem with politics today, but it can and does.




It ain't a microcosm of nothing. It is what we make of it.
It should be a place where amateurs mostly discuss an avid pastime.

I maintain an " internet cat box." It is a political forum that is defacto about Trump. I tell people what I think of what they think. They tell me I'm an azzho and when I get bored I click on something else. I am anonymous.

It is designed for arguments. It serves a function for me. I drop a "steamer" on someone (say what I really think) and leave. Well, maybe drop a few. Everyone there signed up for the format. Importantly, It prevents more than half of you all from hating me because of politics. If the people in the cat box hate me, that is an issue of no concern.

You should try it.


#1157242 - 10/02/19 06:36 PM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: couchgrouch]  
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 469
JAPOV Offline
Top 500 Poster
JAPOV  Offline
Top 500 Poster

Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 469
Threatening?!? I'm disabled... I can’t run away... I’m truly afraid because YA'LL HAVE LOST YOUR DAMN MINDS!!!

Will someone please take a moment and actually READ THIS CRAP!?!?


https://unfccc.int/files/meetings/paris_nov_2015/application/pdf/paris_agreement_english_.pdf

#1157243 - 10/02/19 07:21 PM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: couchgrouch]  
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,089
Michael Zaneski Offline
Top 50 Poster
Michael Zaneski  Offline
Top 50 Poster

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,089
California
How do James Carville and Mary Matalin do it? Married 26 years?

There's a movie in that, or at least a song. I envisioned a musical, cuz their wordy arguments, early on, are perfect for musical counterpoint. Two melodic streams interweaving..

Or maybe they could do what G. Gordon Liddy and Timothy Leary did in the Eighties--tour the country, give us a few laughs, and calm us all down a little

I imagine they have something to teach all of us. Politically polarized but able to not only tolerate each other, but be married!


Mike


Last edited by Michael Zaneski; 10/02/19 07:42 PM.

Fate doesn't hang on a wrong or right choice
Fortune depends on the tone of your voice

-The Divine Comedy (Neil Hannon)
from the song "Songs of Love"
from the album "Casanova" (1996)
#1157244 - 10/02/19 07:36 PM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: couchgrouch]  
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 469
JAPOV Offline
Top 500 Poster
JAPOV  Offline
Top 500 Poster

Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 469
The grinning tongue in cheek distraction doesn’t work well with me....
This “agreement” elects a single global entity to police the way every single person on this planet lives, from what we can eat, drink or cloths we can wear, to what kind of transportation we use, how far we commute to work and how high or low we can set our thermostats. It’s nothing but a money and power grab, the initial result of which will be the doubling of gas and utility costs, and we will pay more taxes for the privilege! Making the rich richer and the poor…. Irrelevant. We’re talking trillions of dollars world wide here under the guise of equality and human rights… Since when has any governmental agency with that much money and authority ever allocated funds to actually fixing anything? Overnight, the UN will become the single most powerful policing agency on the planet, with the endorsement of the catholic papacy… If you believe for one second that a governance that large would slit its own throat by actually fulfilling its purpose… God help you.

#1157246 - 10/02/19 08:05 PM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: couchgrouch]  
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 847
Gavin Sinclair Online content
Top 500 Poster
Gavin Sinclair  Online Content
Top 500 Poster

Joined: May 2017
Posts: 847
Conover, North Carolina, USA
Tony, I actually read the whole thing. Thanks for posting the link. I'd never read it from beginning to end before. I thought your outrage was because of all the repetitive politically correct legalistic gobbledygook that inflates what could be a two page document into a sixteen page mess. I would be onboard with that complaint. It looks like they divided into committees to come up with each section and nobody was too sure of where their area of responsibility ended. I suppose that with so many countries involved, you have to put up with this in order to get to a couple of actual agreements.

I see absolutely none of the things you see in it. "A single global entity to police the way every single person on this planet lives." The agreement specifically leaves it to each signatory to devise how they will meet the goals that they themselves set. It says this in about ten different ways. It does ask countries to report their progress so that a global assessment of progress can be made periodically. That's it. The international bodies it sets up are toothless. Almost nothing in the document goes beyond a statement of intent. I think you are mistaking a Yorkshire terrier for a tiger.

#1157252 - 10/03/19 08:44 AM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: couchgrouch]  
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 10,418
John Voorpostel Offline
Top 20 Poster
John Voorpostel  Offline
Top 20 Poster

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 10,418
I'm not one for conspiracy theories or "world orders" or some "co ordinated effort" ...but I do see and know that all industries and wealthy people hire lobby groups to sway public opinion and legislators.

One that hits home to me is Big Sugar. Back in the nineteen fiftees and subsequent decade there was a big debate about the health effects of sugar vs fat. Sugar won and there is evidence lots of scientific studies were funded by the sugar industry and its major players. In the end the government published a food guide that excoriated fats, but gave the sugar industry free rein to add it to whatever they wanted...which if you read labels is a lot of sugar in a lot of products.

Fast forward to today and America...and countries around the world are facing a Type II diabetes epidemic and many people are obese.

Today scientists and medical professionals understand that this is the body's response to too much sugar. What is not burned off as fuel for energy is, using the body's insulin, packed into fat cells for future use....but that day does not come because the next day...once again too much sugar. Over time the cells are so packed with this potential energy that the body resists insulin and voila, Type II diabetes.

Earlier this year I read a book by Dr Jason Fung...two books actually, The Obesity Code and The Diabetic Code in which he outlines the rise of sugar use\consumption and the rise of obesity and diabetes....and I did two simple things. I eliminated added sugar as much as I could, and compressed eating good food into 8 hours a day...that allowed my body to start drawing on my sugar reserves.

Since then I have lost about 30lbs and my blood sugar has returned to the normal range from closing in on "pre diabetes levels"

Better yet, less inflamation in joints (also due to weight loss) and best of all...no food cravings. It seems that once you cut sugar out of your diet that craving for sugar stops...

What motivated me was simply being p^&^*sed off by the fact that Big Sugar paid off scientists and the government to favour it over fat...and Fung saying that diets fail because they do not solve the real culprit...it is not about will power and calories as much as the over consumption of sugar in what you do eat. You think yoghurt is good for you? Well it can be but most servings contain multiple grams of sugar. Cereals? Full of sugar. Pop? A HUGE culprit with multiple spoonfulls in every container.

So with that I cut out sugar, fasted intermittently, and in a matter of days...really days...my food cravings disappeared and weight loss started.

Since "winning", Big Sugar, the corn and corn syrop indistries made billions if not trillions of dollars collectively over the decades...which is why they fought so hard to discredit fats.

Take that same approach to other industries who pay scientists and lobby groups...and in public debates, "follow the money" to see how public opinion is being engineered.

I cannot see how the climate change debate is any different. Those who stand to lose the most fund and release and promote studies that favour their position and lobby legislators to ensure their positions prevail. It is simply how things work.

The public is left to decide, according to their own "filters", what is right. And these filters are often legitimate from the individual's POV

Take another hot button. Gun control.

It is absolutely right to invoke the 2nd amendment, self reliance, individual responsibility, "guns don't kill people, people do" , the right to self defence because they are legitimate points of view. But it is also right to point to horrible mass shootings and murder statistics and demand that, in the name of public safety, restrictions be placed on certain firearms, that owners be vetted, training is mandatory etc. But the NRA, even as its membership is small, is very well funded and has a powerful lobby and gets its messages out very well. The result is a polartized public entrenched in their own opinions

Here, today, we are all entrenched ...and everyone rationalizes what they believe with their own beliefs and experiences. The problem is no one makes room for another person's position and disagreements often turm nasty. This thread is simply a case in point. The last federal election was a nightmare here and Brian in the end banned these types of dicussions....and we lost some good people as a result. I myself went away for awhile because of the fallout.

I guess the bottom line here is

1) have some tolerance towards others' POV because they are right based on their individual experiences
2) don't get personal, accusatory, inflame etc...focus on the issue being debated and bring facts (as you know them) to the party
3) understand it is not necessary (and very difficult if not impossible) to come to an agreement on some things (politics, religion are cases in point)...it is the exchange of viepoints that is the objective
4) be open to learning something new

I'm far from perfect, so take from this post what you will. But please if there is one thing .....have some respect for the other's point of view because they believe their POV as much as you believe yours



If writing ever becomes work I think I'm going to have to stop

iAccountant --- Info L inc --- Taxboard
#1157255 - 10/03/19 09:26 AM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: Martin Lide]  
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,531
Fdemetrio Online content
Top 200 Poster
Fdemetrio  Online Content
Top 200 Poster

Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,531
Originally Posted by Martin Lide
Originally Posted by Fdemetrio
Originally Posted by Martin Lide
Folks

We all love writing songs. That is our union.
Political threads are poison. I suggest that you guys fade this quickly to black.

Sincerely

Martin


Yes, but it's also a microcosm of the world/internet today. One would never think a songwriting forum could be used to show the problem with politics today, but it can and does.




It ain't a microcosm of nothing. It is what we make of it.
It should be a place where amateurs mostly discuss an avid pastime.

I maintain an " internet cat box." It is a political forum that is defacto about Trump. I tell people what I think of what they think. They tell me I'm an azzho and when I get bored I click on something else. I am anonymous.

It is designed for arguments. It serves a function for me. I drop a "steamer" on someone (say what I really think) and leave. Well, maybe drop a few. Everyone there signed up for the format. Importantly, It prevents more than half of you all from hating me because of politics. If the people in the cat box hate me, that is an issue of no concern.

You should try it.



You didnt understand the statement. Yes it should be a place amateurs discuss a pastime. And that what it is. But what I mean was the hatred of the other side, merges into this space when politics are talked about. We saw lefties and righties getting hostile towards each other. The sides are becoming so far apart.

THAT is the microcosm of the world/internet, because its the same anywhere you go. Political discussions mirror each other



Last edited by Fdemetrio; 10/03/19 09:42 AM.
#1157256 - 10/03/19 10:06 AM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: John Voorpostel]  
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,531
Fdemetrio Online content
Top 200 Poster
Fdemetrio  Online Content
Top 200 Poster

Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,531
Originally Posted by John Voorpostel
I'm not one for conspiracy theories or "world orders" or some "co ordinated effort" ...but I do see and know that all industries and wealthy people hire lobby groups to sway public opinion and legislators.

One that hits home to me is Big Sugar. Back in the nineteen fiftees and subsequent decade there was a big debate about the health effects of sugar vs fat. Sugar won and there is evidence lots of scientific studies were funded by the sugar industry and its major players. In the end the government published a food guide that excoriated fats, but gave the sugar industry free rein to add it to whatever they wanted...which if you read labels is a lot of sugar in a lot of products.

Fast forward to today and America...and countries around the world are facing a Type II diabetes epidemic and many people are obese.

Today scientists and medical professionals understand that this is the body's response to too much sugar. What is not burned off as fuel for energy is, using the body's insulin, packed into fat cells for future use....but that day does not come because the next day...once again too much sugar. Over time the cells are so packed with this potential energy that the body resists insulin and voila, Type II diabetes.

Earlier this year I read a book by Dr Jason Fung...two books actually, The Obesity Code and The Diabetic Code in which he outlines the rise of sugar use\consumption and the rise of obesity and diabetes....and I did two simple things. I eliminated added sugar as much as I could, and compressed eating good food into 8 hours a day...that allowed my body to start drawing on my sugar reserves.

Since then I have lost about 30lbs and my blood sugar has returned to the normal range from closing in on "pre diabetes levels"

Better yet, less inflamation in joints (also due to weight loss) and best of all...no food cravings. It seems that once you cut sugar out of your diet that craving for sugar stops...

What motivated me was simply being p^&^*sed off by the fact that Big Sugar paid off scientists and the government to favour it over fat...and Fung saying that diets fail because they do not solve the real culprit...it is not about will power and calories as much as the over consumption of sugar in what you do eat. You think yoghurt is good for you? Well it can be but most servings contain multiple grams of sugar. Cereals? Full of sugar. Pop? A HUGE culprit with multiple spoonfulls in every container.

So with that I cut out sugar, fasted intermittently, and in a matter of days...really days...my food cravings disappeared and weight loss started.

Since "winning", Big Sugar, the corn and corn syrop indistries made billions if not trillions of dollars collectively over the decades...which is why they fought so hard to discredit fats.

Take that same approach to other industries who pay scientists and lobby groups...and in public debates, "follow the money" to see how public opinion is being engineered.

I cannot see how the climate change debate is any different. Those who stand to lose the most fund and release and promote studies that favour their position and lobby legislators to ensure their positions prevail. It is simply how things work.

The public is left to decide, according to their own "filters", what is right. And these filters are often legitimate from the individual's POV

Take another hot button. Gun control.

It is absolutely right to invoke the 2nd amendment, self reliance, individual responsibility, "guns don't kill people, people do" , the right to self defence because they are legitimate points of view. But it is also right to point to horrible mass shootings and murder statistics and demand that, in the name of public safety, restrictions be placed on certain firearms, that owners be vetted, training is mandatory etc. But the NRA, even as its membership is small, is very well funded and has a powerful lobby and gets its messages out very well. The result is a polartized public entrenched in their own opinions

Here, today, we are all entrenched ...and everyone rationalizes what they believe with their own beliefs and experiences. The problem is no one makes room for another person's position and disagreements often turm nasty. This thread is simply a case in point. The last federal election was a nightmare here and Brian in the end banned these types of dicussions....and we lost some good people as a result. I myself went away for awhile because of the fallout.

I guess the bottom line here is

1) have some tolerance towards others' POV because they are right based on their individual experiences
2) don't get personal, accusatory, inflame etc...focus on the issue being debated and bring facts (as you know them) to the party
3) understand it is not necessary (and very difficult if not impossible) to come to an agreement on some things (politics, religion are cases in point)...it is the exchange of viepoints that is the objective
4) be open to learning something new

I'm far from perfect, so take from this post what you will. But please if there is one thing .....have some respect for the other's point of view because they believe their POV as much as you believe yours



Big Sugar is also a conspiracy theory, so is the theory that cures for cancer are withheld from the public, because the profits for treatments are too big for pharma to lose. I often dont eat for 24 hours at a time, I found out I could do it by doing all nighters recording songs and then realizing "hey wait a minute, I didnt eat a damn thing all day" Or sitting at the blackjack table for hours upon hours. When I read about the benefits, I said hey ive done that already. I guess the trick is stay ocupied so you dont think about eating. Ive probably gone 24-36 hours without even realizing I hadnt eaten. Ive done 3 or more days just to see how it would go. Its much harder when you are aware you havent eaten...lol!

Fasting can be good for you. And sugar was not supposed to be eaten by humans, as you say the 1950 marked the commercial boom, where it became cheaper to box stuff and lace it with sugar so it lasts longer.

But this is what the public wanted. People started the hustle bustle lifestyle, and didnt have time to prepare three meals a day. Voila, the fast food industry was born. And its damn tasty too!

But the real reason America is so fat is because we have too much food! Everybody knows how to lose weight, no secret diets, just put the fork down! In simple terms.

Guns are a hot topic. there cant be a more helpless feeling for say a father, not to be able to protect his family from an intruder. He should have that right.

It just creates alot of other problems like accidents, and nerves, and reactionary skills. Even the police get into trouble using guns legally

It may have to come down to all public places having metal detectors. It's a price to pay, but im willing to be checked down when I walk into a mall. It seems it has to be this way.

#1157257 - 10/03/19 11:07 AM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: couchgrouch]  
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 10,418
John Voorpostel Offline
Top 20 Poster
John Voorpostel  Offline
Top 20 Poster

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 10,418
Actually we have satiation hormones that tell us when we are full. You simply cannot eat volumes of meat or fruits and vegetables...BUT...the intake of sugar actually tickles your pleasure centers, so it is far too easy to fall into "there is ALWAYS room for desert"..ie something sweet. That is not to say you are wrong in the over eating hypothesis...because that IS spot on. But over eating vegetables and fruits is far less damaging than filling up on processed foods (most contain sugar to enhance the taste), potato chips, snack foods and all the other stuff that is full of sugar....mainly because of the sugar highs and crashes that cause food cravings

So if you say the problem is over eating "bad food", that to me is exactly right...but because it is driven by hormones, and because the hormones say "FEED ME NOW", it is very hard to resist. This is why reading Fung was liberating because he says that failures in dieting it is not your fault because it is not fats or calories but sugar. You are simply listening to your body and giving it what it needs and craves. That is why eliminating sugar is so useful. It eliminantes the sugar cravings and the body's messages that drive the desire to eat.

And that gun debate is definitely tricky..your solution to it...to screen all users of vulnerable public places...is costly, time consuming and frankly just confirms someone with the right to carry a gun is actually carrying one. Not saying its not workable...just that it is easy to resist its imposition.





If writing ever becomes work I think I'm going to have to stop

iAccountant --- Info L inc --- Taxboard
#1157258 - 10/03/19 11:15 AM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: John Voorpostel]  
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,531
Fdemetrio Online content
Top 200 Poster
Fdemetrio  Online Content
Top 200 Poster

Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,531
Originally Posted by John Voorpostel
Actually we have satiation hormones that tell us when we are full. You simply cannot eat volumes of meat or fruits and vegetables...BUT...the intake of sugar actually tickles your pleasure centers, so it is far too easy to fall into "there is ALWAYS room for desert"..ie something sweet. That is not to say you are wrong in the over eating hypothesis...because that IS spot on. But over eating vegetables and fruits is far less damaging than filling up on potato chips, snack foods and all the other stuff that is full of sugar.

So if you say the problem is over eating "bad food", that to me is exactly right

And that gun debate is definitely tricky..your solution to it...to screen all users of vulnerable public places...is costly, time consuming and frankly just confirms someone with the right to carry a gun is actually carrying one. Not saying its not workable...just that it is easy to resist its imposition.





We over eat, and over drink. You can over eat veggies too,and fruit is disguised as good for you food. Orange Juice is just as bad to drink as soda for your sugar. No hypothesis, pure truth. https://www.vox.com/2016/8/31/12368246/obesity-america-2018-charts

A metal detector in public places may cost some money. But arent you complaining about guns?

Last edited by Fdemetrio; 10/03/19 11:16 AM.
#1157259 - 10/03/19 11:20 AM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: couchgrouch]  
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,311
Ray E. Strode Online content
Top 30 Poster
Ray E. Strode  Online Content
Top 30 Poster

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,311
Brunswick, Ga. USA
Aw,humm,
Whazzat? Conspiracy theories? Now at one time there was the thing that somebody invented a carburator that would get 500 miles per gallon of gas but the big oil companies bought it so they could sell more gas. And some people believed it!


Ray E. Strode
#1157260 - 10/03/19 11:21 AM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: couchgrouch]  
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 10,418
John Voorpostel Offline
Top 20 Poster
John Voorpostel  Offline
Top 20 Poster

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 10,418
Yes I agree...over eating is the problem...but the "refined argument" is over eating processed foods and over drinking fluids that contain sugar is the real culprit. Over eating "good foods" is not the issue.....

And my primary argument is that these divisive issues are entrenched because those taking sides have their own viewpoints that are valid to them. So yes...metal detectors is a great idea...BUT opponents will argue against it and develop very good reasons for that

Hence my suggestions of the "4 rules" which I will repeat because that was the essence of my post. The rest was background leading to it...and I raised gun control as a particularly thorny issue that has entrenched sides

1) have some tolerance towards others' POV because they are right based on their individual experiences
2) don't get personal, accusatory, inflame etc...focus on the issue being debated and bring facts (as you know them) to the party
3) understand it is not necessary (and very difficult if not impossible) to come to an agreement on some things (politics, religion are cases in point)...it is the exchange of viepoints that is the objective
4) be open to learning something new

Cheers


If writing ever becomes work I think I'm going to have to stop

iAccountant --- Info L inc --- Taxboard
#1157261 - 10/03/19 11:29 AM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: couchgrouch]  
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 10,418
John Voorpostel Offline
Top 20 Poster
John Voorpostel  Offline
Top 20 Poster

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 10,418
Hi Ray...nice to see you. You are a perfect example of someone with an entrenched point of view that has to be respected. You have always argued self reliance, individualism etc and deplored handouts. Now we don't see reye to eye on a bunch of stuff, but that would not stop me from enjoying a beer with you and some creative dialogue around those issues and generally getting to know you better..

I will never change your mind about some of the things we disagree over...and that should not be my objective. I do "listen" to you, counter some of your arguments, but that does not mean I think you are stupid, pedantic or any less than anyone else. You developed those POVs through your own experiences and embrace them...and that should never be disrespected or discounted



If writing ever becomes work I think I'm going to have to stop

iAccountant --- Info L inc --- Taxboard
#1157262 - 10/03/19 12:15 PM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: couchgrouch]  
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,089
Michael Zaneski Offline
Top 50 Poster
Michael Zaneski  Offline
Top 50 Poster

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,089
California
It must be hard being a conservative who denies climate change. I can honestly empathize with that. You are entitled to your opinions and beliefs.

On top of all the ridicule you get from liberals, you have to have seemingly far-fetched, to the majority of people, air tight alibis/beliefs for why the majority of the press accepts climate change as fact (it's a liberal conspiracy), and common everyday liberals as well (they're brainwashed), and then put all your faith in alternate news sources--that they are the ones telling the truth.

Hard to do, without a busload of faith it seems...

Faith seems key in all this. Can a conservative who denies climate change harbor doubt about his/her position? Doubt can be a healthy thing in most matters. To NOT be able to doubt one's "denial" seems to put your "beliefs" in the same realm as a belief in God. Something beyond data and facts, that can't really be known in earthly terms. But climate change is all about earthly terms!

A question you could ask yourself, to know if your denial of climate change is faith based is, "is there ANY possible scenario that could happen to where I would change my mind about climate change and accept its reality?" If you found yourself think "no" --then may I suggest that's something to look into? Can you at least see that your denial would not be about climate change, really, but something else? And ask yourself honestly..I mean..it does you no good to lie to yourself, right?

As someone who believes in God and that climate change is real, I can say that I sometimes have doubts--mostly doubts about climate change's reality, in spite of looking at what most of the experts say. Though the data is easy to understand and I don't think these scientists are in anyone's pockets. I just think along the lines, "what if SOMEHOW they're wrong.." or "what if it IS a giant conspiracy?" and don't think that's in any way unhealthy.

Lastly..I can imagine it can be really tough being a climate change denier and a songwriter with children and maybe grandchildren..cuz you must block at all times the thought that maybe your position is helping make unlivable conditions happen faster for your offspring's offspring's offspring, and that those songs you wrote that your future great grandchildren could stumble upon could get read or listened to but be dwarfed by those great grandchildren saying "yeah, good songs, but look what he/she helped do.."

I can empathize with how tough it must be to believe what you do..But if you reply saying "it's easy" --that's something to look into as well. "Easy" in the face what most folks consider reality? I don't think that deep down anyone has an easy task of that unless they've erected iron clad walls around themselves and ironically are in denial about a lot more things than just climate change.

Mike


Last edited by Michael Zaneski; 10/03/19 01:21 PM.

Fate doesn't hang on a wrong or right choice
Fortune depends on the tone of your voice

-The Divine Comedy (Neil Hannon)
from the song "Songs of Love"
from the album "Casanova" (1996)
#1157266 - 10/03/19 02:50 PM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: couchgrouch]  
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 10,418
John Voorpostel Offline
Top 20 Poster
John Voorpostel  Offline
Top 20 Poster

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 10,418
Just for fun Michael I re read your post substituting liberal for conservative , and words like deny (climate change) to promote.....and most of the stuff in between was equally valid...well except for the chiding about the effect on their progeny. I could not find a way to twist that smile



Last edited by John Voorpostel; 10/03/19 02:51 PM.

If writing ever becomes work I think I'm going to have to stop

iAccountant --- Info L inc --- Taxboard
#1157267 - 10/03/19 02:58 PM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: couchgrouch]  
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,089
Michael Zaneski Offline
Top 50 Poster
Michael Zaneski  Offline
Top 50 Poster

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,089
California
I think that's a good thing? Promoting empathy and compassion on and from both sides...

I realize that certain strategies simply DON'T WORK and accept that and am looking for other ways.

If facts can be met with alternate facts, why keep trying to push facts, as if facts/alternate facts are EVER going to further along a discussion?

Has anyone ever been shamed into changing their minds? Sometimes it feels like that's what some liberals are trying to do.

Just looking for other ways to attempt a sincere dialogue...and as hard as it might be to some, the only place I can see to start is to accept that everyone is entitled to their beliefs and opinions, and that certain opinions that are in a minority can be hard to have in this society that can persecute those in minorities.

I am trying to not make the same error I see a lot of liberals making here. Many are pushing conservatives away before a conversation can actually happen. Everyone needs to be shown respect.

The "chiding" at the end..yeah..that's my guilt ridden Catholic upbringing, rearing its ugly head, lol...I am a flawed human being for sure..but I'm trying..

The sad truth may be..few really want dialogue, real honest to goodness dialogue cuz that's HARD and can threaten one's beliefs. And I mean myself as well...

When I've been wrong, and it's often..it's always hard to face that..

And most of the time, no one changes their beliefs on account of what anyone else says. That's more from direct experience, in some way. Each of us are on our own adventure, and we can arrive at different places sometimes, and sometimes it's like my favorite Edward Albee quote, "Sometimes a person has to go a very long distance out of his way to come back a short distance correctly."

Mike


Last edited by Michael Zaneski; 10/04/19 12:18 AM.

Fate doesn't hang on a wrong or right choice
Fortune depends on the tone of your voice

-The Divine Comedy (Neil Hannon)
from the song "Songs of Love"
from the album "Casanova" (1996)
#1157269 - 10/03/19 03:48 PM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: couchgrouch]  
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,311
Ray E. Strode Online content
Top 30 Poster
Ray E. Strode  Online Content
Top 30 Poster

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,311
Brunswick, Ga. USA
Humm,
Climate Change? Most likely yes. How fast. How severe? Anyone's guess. In Central America, maybe Costa Rica there is a huge city in the jungle now abandoned for who knows how long. It is so large it has not been completely explored yet. So something happened to cause it to be abandoned. We are still here so things happen and will still happen to the climate.


Ray E. Strode
#1157270 - 10/03/19 03:58 PM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: couchgrouch]  
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 847
Gavin Sinclair Online content
Top 500 Poster
Gavin Sinclair  Online Content
Top 500 Poster

Joined: May 2017
Posts: 847
Conover, North Carolina, USA
For those who prefer their climate change served anecdotally rather than analytically, Charlotte North Carolina had its hottest October day on record yesterday.

#1157273 - 10/03/19 05:15 PM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: Fdemetrio]  
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,603
Martin Lide Online content
Top 200 Poster
Martin Lide  Online Content
Top 200 Poster

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,603
Houston, Texas
Originally Posted by Fdemetrio
Originally Posted by Martin Lide
Originally Posted by Fdemetrio
Originally Posted by Martin Lide
Folks

We all love writing songs. That is our union.
Political threads are poison. I suggest that you guys fade this quickly to black.

Sincerely

Martin


Yes, but it's also a microcosm of the world/internet today. One would never think a songwriting forum could be used to show the problem with politics today, but it can and does.




It ain't a microcosm of nothing. It is what we make of it.
It should be a place where amateurs mostly discuss an avid pastime.

I maintain an " internet cat box." It is a political forum that is defacto about Trump. I tell people what I think of what they think. They tell me I'm an azzho and when I get bored I click on something else. I am anonymous.

It is designed for arguments. It serves a function for me. I drop a "steamer" on someone (say what I really think) and leave. Well, maybe drop a few. Everyone there signed up for the format. Importantly, It prevents more than half of you all from hating me because of politics. If the people in the cat box hate me, that is an issue of no concern.

You should try it.



You didnt understand the statement. Yes it should be a place amateurs discuss a pastime. And that what it is. But what I mean was the hatred of the other side, merges into this space when politics are talked about. We saw lefties and righties getting hostile towards each other. The sides are becoming so far apart.

THAT is the microcosm of the world/internet, because its the same anywhere you go. Political discussions mirror each other





I understood the statement. My statement said that I see a lot of reasons not to actualize JPF as a reflection of larger societal political arguments.

The internet provides 1000s of opportunities to argue Trump other than JPF.

Currently everything is about Trump. People make their water bill about Trump.

#1157297 - 10/04/19 06:10 AM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: couchgrouch]  
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 6,673
Everett Adams Online content
Top 40 Poster
Everett Adams  Online Content
Top 40 Poster

Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 6,673
,NL Canada
In my neck of the woods our average temperature is ten degrees below normal, so much for global warming. In Canada we are suppose to be warming twice as fast as the rest of the world, tell that to Alberta that just had a record snowfall.

#1157301 - 10/04/19 07:13 AM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: Everett Adams]  
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,603
Martin Lide Online content
Top 200 Poster
Martin Lide  Online Content
Top 200 Poster

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,603
Houston, Texas
Originally Posted by Everett Adams
In my neck of the woods our average temperature is ten degrees below normal, so much for global warming. In Canada we are suppose to be warming twice as fast as the rest of the world, tell that to Alberta that just had a record snowfall.


The counter-theory is that additional heat results in additional warmth to the air and the warmth adds capacity to retain moisture. And then when the earth tilts to winter that additional moisture coalesces into additional snowflakes and increases the intensity of snowfall. I cant tell you how right or wrong that is, but that is the counter theory....as I understand it.

#1157302 - 10/04/19 07:21 AM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: Ray E. Strode]  
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,603
Martin Lide Online content
Top 200 Poster
Martin Lide  Online Content
Top 200 Poster

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,603
Houston, Texas
Originally Posted by Ray E. Strode
Humm,
Climate Change? Most likely yes. How fast. How severe? Anyone's guess. In Central America, maybe Costa Rica there is a huge city in the jungle now abandoned for who knows how long. It is so large it has not been completely explored yet. So something happened to cause it to be abandoned. We are still here so things happen and will still happen to the climate.


There are several of those. The entire Mayan civilization vanished centuries before the Spanish wiped out the Aztec civilization. Could have been global warming and a resulting famine. Could have been over tilling of the crops. Could have been extended drought. Could have been war. Could have been disease. Could have been something else. I don't think that they know.

#1157308 - 10/04/19 10:12 AM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: couchgrouch]  
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 10,418
John Voorpostel Offline
Top 20 Poster
John Voorpostel  Offline
Top 20 Poster

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 10,418
One could apply Pascal's Wager to climate change.

Pascal's Wager originated as a "bet" on the existance of God. You can Google it for background, but the essence of it ...from Wikipedia

Pascal argues that a rational person should live as though God exists and seek to believe in God. If God does not actually exist, such a person will have only a finite loss (some pleasures, luxury, etc.), whereas he stands to receive infinite gains (as represented by eternity in Heaven) and avoid infinite losses (eternity in Hell).

Applying it to the climate change argument, a rational person should live as though climate change is real because the "loss" of such belief is investment in remediation (which I would argue should be borne by those who actually create the problem...but I have no issue with incentivising action through the public purse).... whereas the gain is a better environment for all and an avoidance of the problems we are seeing in weather, reduced ice caps on both poles, the disappearance of many species and reductions in many polulations of anaimals.....



If writing ever becomes work I think I'm going to have to stop

iAccountant --- Info L inc --- Taxboard
#1157309 - 10/04/19 10:32 AM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: couchgrouch]  
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,311
Ray E. Strode Online content
Top 30 Poster
Ray E. Strode  Online Content
Top 30 Poster

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,311
Brunswick, Ga. USA
Hi John,
Thanks for the nice comment. I treat everybody on here with respect, can't ya tell? Actually I consider my day a total loss until I catch hell from somebody so let those slings and arrows fly so I can feel I belong!

Some of the people here in the U.S. are unhappy that Trump got his tax Cuts thru and took away a lot of the money the Nanny Stater's hand out to citizens and illegal aliens alike. So it's either Fiscal Responsibility or down the Road to Rome.
They had to vote again to raise the National Debt so they could keep paying all those Social Programs . But, what me worry?
Maybe we will drain the Swamp yet. Geronimo!
.


Ray E. Strode
#1157310 - 10/04/19 10:35 AM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: couchgrouch]  
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 469
JAPOV Offline
Top 500 Poster
JAPOV  Offline
Top 500 Poster

Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 469
Lol.... that's cute! I'm a betting man, tell you what... From Genesis to Revelation 90% of all Biblical prophecy has already come to pass. I'll bet you that last 10% is going to happen whether you believe it or not smile

#1157311 - 10/04/19 10:51 AM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: couchgrouch]  
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 469
JAPOV Offline
Top 500 Poster
JAPOV  Offline
Top 500 Poster

Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 469
Perhaps I'm just not being clear... God's judgement is upon those who would destroy the earth, but all faith aside for a moment...

-The powers that be are the ones responsible for destroying the earth.
-Those same powers have turned it into a political issue in an attempt to hold us accountable for cleaning up their mess.

How does that make sense?

Last edited by JAPOV; 10/04/19 01:59 PM.
#1157312 - 10/04/19 11:26 AM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: couchgrouch]  
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 7,622
couchgrouch Online content
Top 30 Poster
couchgrouch  Online Content
Top 30 Poster

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 7,622
The good news...

I'm getting a big piece of the CLIMATE CHANGE pie (thanks Greta!! Your Nobel is on its way...every bit as deserved as Obama's!). Universal Studios is so terrified of rising sea levels, they offered me twenty year's worth of Hunter Biden's Ukraine paydays for my ten acres. KA-CHING!!

Coming to Cochise, Az in the summer of 2022...The Universal Tour!!! See the shark, get the t-shirt!!

The bad news...

I once stayed at a Trump hotel so now Schiff wants to subpoena my colonoscopy records for signs of "undue influence". He did the same thing to Hope Hicks...he has a pic hanging in his office.


Nashville demos etc:

https://www.soundclick.com/bands3/default.cfm?bandID=431939

other demos:

https://soundcloud.com/wabash-cannibal

Amazon Kindle books by Robert George you may enjoy:

1) Americana

2) Teenage Graceland

3) The Will to Be

4) Fort Mystery

5) Wheel Sea

6) My One True Love
#1157313 - 10/04/19 11:39 AM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: couchgrouch]  
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 469
JAPOV Offline
Top 500 Poster
JAPOV  Offline
Top 500 Poster

Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 469
I would hold out CG.... Trump is gonna' have to rebuild somewhere!

#1157314 - 10/04/19 12:28 PM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: couchgrouch]  
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 7,622
couchgrouch Online content
Top 30 Poster
couchgrouch  Online Content
Top 30 Poster

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 7,622
No sweat...I just saw it on MSNBC, Trump will refuse to leave office in 2025 and will remain POTUS unto death. I find this claim as reliable as the one that thousands would die if Kavanaugh was confirmed.

What? That didn't happen?? What a shocker!! Huh...maybe the world won't end in twelve years, either.

It's a religion.


Nashville demos etc:

https://www.soundclick.com/bands3/default.cfm?bandID=431939

other demos:

https://soundcloud.com/wabash-cannibal

Amazon Kindle books by Robert George you may enjoy:

1) Americana

2) Teenage Graceland

3) The Will to Be

4) Fort Mystery

5) Wheel Sea

6) My One True Love
#1157315 - 10/04/19 12:45 PM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: John Voorpostel]  
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,531
Fdemetrio Online content
Top 200 Poster
Fdemetrio  Online Content
Top 200 Poster

Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,531
Originally Posted by John Voorpostel
One could apply Pascal's Wager to climate change.



Pascal argues that a rational person should live as though God exists and seek to believe in God. If God does not actually exist, such a person will have only a finite loss (some pleasures, luxury, etc.), whereas he stands to receive infinite gains (as represented by eternity in Heaven) and avoid infinite losses (eternity in Hell).

Applying it to the climate change argument, a rational person should live as though climate change is real because the "loss" of such belief is investment in remediation (which I would argue should be borne by those who actually create the problem...but I have no issue with incentivising action through the public purse).... whereas the gain is a better environment for all and an avoidance of the problems we are seeing in weather, reduced ice caps on both poles, the disappearance of many species and reductions in many polulations of anaimals.....



Pascal is a boob. Because if God exists, would He be dumb enough to believe we are being sincere, if we were just doing it cause we had nothing to lose? Faith is a bit bigger than that. I hope Pascal is right though, because that is where I stand sometimes. Hopefully honesty counts for something

#1157316 - 10/04/19 12:45 PM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: JAPOV]  
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,531
Fdemetrio Online content
Top 200 Poster
Fdemetrio  Online Content
Top 200 Poster

Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,531
Originally Posted by JAPOV
Lol.... that's cute! I'm a betting man, tell you what... From Genesis to Revelation 90% of all Biblical prophecy has already come to pass. I'll bet you that last 10% is going to happen whether you believe it or not smile


I'll take that bet... ok you lost, pay me in small bills.

#1157317 - 10/04/19 12:51 PM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: Martin Lide]  
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,531
Fdemetrio Online content
Top 200 Poster
Fdemetrio  Online Content
Top 200 Poster

Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,531
Originally Posted by Martin Lide
Originally Posted by Ray E. Strode
Humm,
Climate Change? Most likely yes. How fast. How severe? Anyone's guess. In Central America, maybe Costa Rica there is a huge city in the jungle now abandoned for who knows how long. It is so large it has not been completely explored yet. So something happened to cause it to be abandoned. We are still here so things happen and will still happen to the climate.


There are several of those. The entire Mayan civilization vanished centuries before the Spanish wiped out the Aztec civilization. Could have been global warming and a resulting famine. Could have been over tilling of the crops. Could have been extended drought. Could have been war. Could have been disease. Could have been something else. I don't think that they know.


I believe it was Music downloading that cause the downfall of the Mayans.

#1157318 - 10/04/19 01:20 PM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: Fdemetrio]  
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,089
Michael Zaneski Offline
Top 50 Poster
Michael Zaneski  Offline
Top 50 Poster

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,089
California
Originally Posted by Fdemetrio


I believe it was Music downloading that cause the downfall of the Mayans.


Especially from downloading those monster hits, "Smells Like Yucatan Spirit," "Tangled Up In Maize," and "Mayan Calendar Girl."

Last edited by Michael Zaneski; 10/04/19 01:21 PM.

Fate doesn't hang on a wrong or right choice
Fortune depends on the tone of your voice

-The Divine Comedy (Neil Hannon)
from the song "Songs of Love"
from the album "Casanova" (1996)
#1157320 - 10/04/19 01:40 PM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: couchgrouch]  
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 469
JAPOV Offline
Top 500 Poster
JAPOV  Offline
Top 500 Poster

Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 469
They've got it all WRONG!!! Carbon dating is a FARCE!! The Mayans were actually pre-historic. They died out because the atmosphere spontaneously combusted from all the dinosaur farts!

#1157321 - 10/04/19 01:48 PM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: Fdemetrio]  
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 10,418
John Voorpostel Offline
Top 20 Poster
John Voorpostel  Offline
Top 20 Poster

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 10,418
Originally Posted by Fdemetrio
Originally Posted by John Voorpostel
One could apply Pascal's Wager to climate change.



Pascal argues that a rational person should live as though God exists and seek to believe in God. If God does not actually exist, such a person will have only a finite loss (some pleasures, luxury, etc.), whereas he stands to receive infinite gains (as represented by eternity in Heaven) and avoid infinite losses (eternity in Hell).

Applying it to the climate change argument, a rational person should live as though climate change is real because the "loss" of such belief is investment in remediation (which I would argue should be borne by those who actually create the problem...but I have no issue with incentivising action through the public purse).... whereas the gain is a better environment for all and an avoidance of the problems we are seeing in weather, reduced ice caps on both poles, the disappearance of many species and reductions in many polulations of anaimals.....



Pascal is a boob. Because if God exists, would He be dumb enough to believe we are being sincere, if we were just doing it cause we had nothing to lose? Faith is a bit bigger than that. I hope Pascal is right though, because that is where I stand sometimes. Hopefully honesty counts for something



what part about "seek to believe in God" did you not understand?....

Though I may be over reacting to the boob comment when I see your closing wink

Last edited by John Voorpostel; 10/04/19 01:52 PM.

If writing ever becomes work I think I'm going to have to stop

iAccountant --- Info L inc --- Taxboard
#1157322 - 10/04/19 01:58 PM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: couchgrouch]  
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 10,418
John Voorpostel Offline
Top 20 Poster
John Voorpostel  Offline
Top 20 Poster

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 10,418
I got you Japov

Anyone well enough Googled knows these dinosour farts are still recycled through volcanoes, and that Krakatoa was an especially harsh reminder of those early atmospheric cauldrons that enveloped our Gaia Mother Earth.

Last edited by John Voorpostel; 10/04/19 02:00 PM.

If writing ever becomes work I think I'm going to have to stop

iAccountant --- Info L inc --- Taxboard
#1157323 - 10/04/19 02:06 PM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: couchgrouch]  
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 469
JAPOV Offline
Top 500 Poster
JAPOV  Offline
Top 500 Poster

Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 469
Wait a minute... I thought volcanoes were the holes left behind from when the Martians tried to steal the earth's core, but they died from mosquito bites.....?

#1157324 - 10/04/19 02:09 PM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: JAPOV]  
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,089
Michael Zaneski Offline
Top 50 Poster
Michael Zaneski  Offline
Top 50 Poster

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,089
California
Originally Posted by JAPOV
They've got it all WRONG!!! Carbon dating is a FARCE!! The Mayans were actually pre-historic. They died out because the atmosphere spontaneously combusted from all the dinosaur farts!


True, unlike their neighboring Aztecs (also pre-historic) who harnessed the dinosaur fart into an efficient fuel.

Last edited by Michael Zaneski; 10/04/19 02:12 PM.

Fate doesn't hang on a wrong or right choice
Fortune depends on the tone of your voice

-The Divine Comedy (Neil Hannon)
from the song "Songs of Love"
from the album "Casanova" (1996)
#1157326 - 10/04/19 02:41 PM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: couchgrouch]  
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 469
JAPOV Offline
Top 500 Poster
JAPOV  Offline
Top 500 Poster

Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 469
Exactly! The Aztecs figured out how to mount the catalytic converters.

#1157327 - 10/04/19 03:03 PM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: JAPOV]  
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 10,418
John Voorpostel Offline
Top 20 Poster
John Voorpostel  Offline
Top 20 Poster

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 10,418
Originally Posted by JAPOV
Exactly! The Aztecs figured out how to mount the catalytic converters.


Wow that is such a little known fact I thought only a few people knew. I was told it is because they worshipped a weird flying creature called Quetzalcoatl and also loved alliteration, so catalytic converter was really not such a stretch


If writing ever becomes work I think I'm going to have to stop

iAccountant --- Info L inc --- Taxboard
#1157329 - 10/04/19 03:12 PM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: couchgrouch]  
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 469
JAPOV Offline
Top 500 Poster
JAPOV  Offline
Top 500 Poster

Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 469
Yea, Quetzalcoatl was a talking Pterodactyl smile

#1157332 - 10/04/19 03:30 PM Re: A word about my absence... [Re: John Voorpostel]  
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,531
Fdemetrio Online content
Top 200 Poster
Fdemetrio  Online Content
Top 200 Poster

Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,531
Originally Posted by John Voorpostel
Originally Posted by Fdemetrio
Originally Posted by John Voorpostel
One could apply Pascal's Wager to climate change.



Pascal argues that a rational person should live as though God exists and seek to believe in God. If God does not actually exist, such a person will have only a finite loss (some pleasures, luxury, etc.), whereas he stands to receive infinite gains (as represented by eternity in Heaven) and avoid infinite losses (eternity in Hell).

Applying it to the climate change argument, a rational person should live as though climate change is real because the "loss" of such belief is investment in remediation (which I would argue should be borne by those who actually create the problem...but I have no issue with incentivising action through the public purse).... whereas the gain is a better environment for all and an avoidance of the problems we are seeing in weather, reduced ice caps on both poles, the disappearance of many species and reductions in many polulations of anaimals.....



Pascal is a boob. Because if God exists, would He be dumb enough to believe we are being sincere, if we were just doing it cause we had nothing to lose? Faith is a bit bigger than that. I hope Pascal is right though, because that is where I stand sometimes. Hopefully honesty counts for something



what part about "seek to believe in God" did you not understand?....

Though I may be over reacting to the boob comment when I see your closing wink


you wrote "Pascal argues that a rational person should live as though God exists and seek to believe in God. If God does not actually exist, such a person will have only a finite loss (some pleasures, luxury, etc.), whereas he stands to receive infinite gains (as represented by eternity in Heaven) and avoid infinite losses (eternity in Hell)."

Basicly saying, why not believe in God, there is nothing to lose. Thats not faith, thats a coin toss.

And you weaving it into global warming, I have no idea how that happened.

Look, you seem like an intelligent guy, but one quick tip, when you suggest others do this or do that when they comment, and or/read, dont be so condescending when you request that.

Last edited by Fdemetrio; 10/04/19 03:31 PM.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Support Just Plain Folks

We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.


Membership
Join Just Plain Folks
to receive the free
JPNotes Newsletter!
*this is separate from
message board registration*

Newest Members
ClarkFord, bethanykoubsky, David_Pulizzi, LarryMagee, wpaul2999
21237 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums116
Topics119,573
Posts1,127,017
Members21,237
Average Posts Daily31
Most Online3,244
Nov 8th, 2019
Just Plain Quotes
"The worth of your career to others is directly proportionate to the amount of importance you put into making contacts, nurturing leads and building real interpersonal relationships with those you hope will help you." -Brian Austin Whitney
Today's Birthdays
Paul Mascott (52)
Popular Topics(Views)
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0