Who's Online Now
20 registered members (couchgrouch, Fdemetrio, CTthomas, ckiphen, Dave Rice, Gavin Sinclair, Jack Widman, Chris Wood, 5 invisible), and 394 guests, and
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Member Spotlight
beechnut79
beechnut79
Villa Park IL
Posts: 3,580
Joined: April 2009
Show All Member Profiles 
What's Going On
Mothership of Star Trek
by John W. Selleck. 08/13/20 12:31 AM
Choking up?
by John W. Selleck. 08/13/20 12:23 AM
No masterpiece like this
by ckiphen. 08/12/20 09:51 PM
Edit: ALL Corona Virus Post MUST Go Here
by Fdemetrio. 08/12/20 09:34 PM
Twitch
by ckiphen. 08/12/20 05:55 PM
I was only me
by ckiphen. 08/12/20 10:52 AM
Wake up and live life
by ckiphen. 08/12/20 10:50 AM
Let's Leave Behind This Crazy World (w/ T. David)
by Travis david. 08/12/20 01:16 AM
"I Saw Jesus Today" Country
by Steve Altonian. 08/11/20 07:54 PM
How Many Fingers Am I Holdin' Up
by couchgrouch. 08/11/20 04:46 PM
Hang On To Yourself
by Deej56. 08/11/20 01:56 PM
Hey Moonlight - Lyrics Mike Blottenberger
by Deej56. 08/11/20 01:55 PM
Every night is Christmas Eve
by ckiphen. 08/11/20 11:43 AM
I Paint the Town
by couchgrouch. 08/10/20 10:56 AM
Best Moment Of My Life Original Song
by E Swartz. 08/09/20 07:43 PM
Piano (instrumental)
by Irwin. 08/08/20 11:49 PM
This is for collaboration
by Irwin. 08/08/20 11:44 PM
I Wear My Heart
by John W. Selleck. 08/08/20 10:27 PM
limericks
by CTthomas. 08/08/20 04:39 PM
It’s Getting Pretty Complicated Right Now
by CTthomas. 08/08/20 03:51 PM
A heart in Love never lies
by ckiphen. 08/07/20 09:28 AM
Conversations In A Minor Key
by Gerry. 08/07/20 06:09 AM
VIDEO is done...”Spread Your Wings & Fly”
by Steve Altonian. 08/06/20 09:37 PM
I Been There
by Songbird52. 08/06/20 09:16 PM
Peace of Mind
by Deej56. 08/06/20 09:13 PM
A Day In The Life
by Deej56. 08/06/20 09:12 PM
Hard World Waiting
by Deej56. 08/06/20 09:11 PM
Sea of tranquility
by ckiphen. 08/06/20 02:53 PM
Wisdom's Wildfires
by Perry Neal Crawford. 08/06/20 01:04 PM
60 Happy Years
by Dave Rice. 08/06/20 09:34 AM
Top Posters(All Time)
Calvin 19,834
Travis david 11,922
Kevin Emmrich 10,680
Jean Bullock 10,330
Kaley Willow 10,240
Two Singers 9,649
Joice Marie 9,186
Mackie H. 8,845
glynda 8,679
Mike Dunbar 8,574
Tricia Baker 8,318
Colin Ward 7,909
couchgrouch 7,806
Dave Rice 7,769
Corey 7,357
Vicarn 6,620
Mark Kaufman 6,584
Wyman Lloyd 6,578
ben willis 6,107
Lynn Orloff 5,788
Louis 5,725
niteshift 5,683
Linda Sings 5,608
KimberlyinNC 5,210
Neil Cotton 4,909
Derek Hines 4,893
DonnaMarilyn 4,666
Blake Hill 4,528
Bob Cushing 4,376
Roy Cooper 4,241
Bill Osofsky 4,199
Tom Shea 4,179
Cindy Miller 4,178
TamsNumber4 4,104
nightengale 4,096
MFB III 3,926
Caroline 3,865
Kolstad 3,815
Dan Sullivan 3,710
beechnut79 3,580
E Swartz 3,519
Dottie 3,427
joewatt 3,411
Bill Cooper 3,279
John Hoffman 3,199
Skip Johnson 3,027
Pam Hurley 3,007
Terry G 3,005
PopTodd 2,890
Harriet Ames 2,870
Nigel Quin 2,846
MidniteBob 2,712
Nelson 2,603
Tom Tracy 2,558
Polly Hager 2,526
Jerry Jakala 2,524
Al Alvarez 2,499
Fdemetrio 2,496
Eric Thome 2,448
Hummingbird 2,401
Stan Loh 2,263
Sam Wilson 2,242
Judy Hollier 2,232
Wendy D 2,219
Erica Ellis 2,202
TrumanCoyote 2,096
Sunset Poet 2,095
Marty Helly 2,027
maccharles 1,988
DukeWill 1,988
floyd jane 1,985
Clint Anglin 1,904
cindyrella 1,888
David Wright 1,866
Clairejeanne 1,851
Cindy LaRosa 1,824
Ronald Boyt 1,675
Iggy 1,650
Noel Downs 1,620
Rick Heenan 1,608
Cal 1,574
Jack Swain 1,554
GocartMoz 1,552
Pete Larsen 1,537
Ann Tygart 1,529
Tom Breshers 1,487
Tom Franz 1,473
RogerS 1,471
Chuck Crowe 1,441
Ralph Blight 1,440
Rick Norton 1,429
Kenneth Cade 1,429
bholt 1,411
Letha Allen 1,408
in2piano 1,404
Stan Simons 1,402
mattbanx 1,384
Jen Shaner 1,373
Charlie Wong 1,347
Deej56 1,325
KevinP 1,324
Vondelle 1,316
Tom W. 1,313
Jan Petter 1,301
scottandrew 1,292
DakLander 1,265
PeteG 1,242
Ian Ferrin 1,230
Gerry 1,221
Glen King 1,214
IdeaGuy 1,209
lane1777 1,184
AaronAuthier 1,177
summeoyo 1,172
Diane Ewing 1,158
joro 1,082
BobbyJoe 1,075
S.DEE 1,040
yann 1,037
Tony A 1,016
IronKnee 1,009
argo 986
peaden 984
Wolvman 960
90 dB 952
9ne 931
Jak Kelly 912
krtinberg 890
Drifter 886
Petra 883
RJC 845
Brenda152 840
Nadia 829
Juan 797
TKO 784
Dayson 781
frahmes 781
teletwang 762
ant 747
Andy K 746
tbryson 737
Andy Kemp 734
Jackie444 731
3daveyO3 704
Dixie 701
Joy Boy 695
Knute 686
Lee Arten 678
Irwin 674
Katziis 652
Moosesong 642
Pat Hardy 641
R.T.MOORE 638
quality 637
CG King 622
douglas 621
Mel 614
NaomiSue 601
Shandy 589
Ria 587
TAMERA64 583
qbaum 570
nitepiano 566
JAPOV 563
pRISCILLA 556
Tink2 553
musica 539
deanbell 528
R&M 527
RobertK 527
BonzaiWag 523
Roderic 522
BB Wilbur 511
goodfolks 499
Zeek 487
Stu 486
Steve P. 481
KathyW 462
allenb 459
MaxG 458
Philjo 454
ckiphen 449
fanito 448
trush48 448
dmk 442
arealrush 437
DGR 436
avweek 435
Stephen D 433
Emmy 431
Rob L 426
marquez 422
kit 419
Softkrome 417
kyrksongs 415
RRon 408
Laura G. 407
VNORTH 407
Debra 407
eb 406
cuebald 399
EdPerrone 399
Dannyk1 395
Hobart 395
Davyboy49 393
Smile 389
GJShades 387
Ezt 384
tone 380
Marla 380
Cecilee 379
iggyiggy 378
coalminer 377
java 374
spidey 371
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#1155631 - 08/01/19 11:54 PM Down By The Ocean  
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,552
GocartMoz Offline
Top 200 Poster
GocartMoz  Offline
Top 200 Poster

Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,552
Florida
Any comments on my most recent write and recording are greatly appreciated.

Down By The Ocean
Music & Lyrics by David S. Becker
Performed, Produced & Arranged by David S. Becker
(c)2019 David S. Becker Music
All Rights Resered

https://soundcloud.com/gocartmoz/down-by-the-ocean

INTRO
VERSE 1
I'm going to a party
Down by the ocean
I've got a notion
Trouble's a brewin'

VERSE 2
They say they’re meeting
Down by the Seaside
On the dirty part of town
Where the trouble hides

PRE-CHORUS
They love
They hate
They try to set the record straight
Then the liquor flows
With each body blow
Cards are played
A punch is laid
Don't go down by the ocean

CHORUS
Johnny loves Sue
But Sue got caught with Johnny's friend Drew
They'll make amends
And buy some rounds
The sun goes down its' rumble town
Down by the ocean

SOLO

VERSE 3
The party started quickly
The Seaside Bar was packed
Everyone was jacked

VERSE 4
In walks Sue
And her new dude Stu
And Johnny and Drew
A few more too
Time to

CHORUS 2 X 2
(Make a call)
Johnny loves Sue
(It's a free for all)
But Sue got caught with Johnny's friend Drew
(It's s lover's brawl)
They'll make amends
And buy some rounds

The sun goes down its' rumble town
Down by the ocean

Last edited by GocartMoz; 08/03/19 04:20 PM.
#1155634 - 08/02/19 12:41 AM Re: Down By The Ocean [Re: GocartMoz]  
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,241
Roy Cooper Offline
Roy Cooper  Offline

Top 100 Poster

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,241
What a great story song David.

I followed every line and it held my interest right to the end.

And at the end the finish was cool... 'buy some rounds'.

My fav lines are the first 2 in the chorus.

Johnny loves Sue
But Sue got caught with Johnny's friend Drew


God Bless Roy

Last edited by Roy Cooper; 08/02/19 12:42 AM.

'You Have To Kiss A Lot Of Frogs To Find A Prince'

Our Record Label

Our Personal Website
#1155642 - 08/02/19 12:52 AM Re: Down By The Ocean [Re: GocartMoz]  
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,325
Deej56 Offline
Top 200 Poster
Deej56  Offline
Top 200 Poster

Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,325
Dave,

Great opening lick—really engaging throughout. Is that you playing? If so, very impressive. LIke the chord progression as well. Lyrically, my only nit would be to get rid of the “Don’t go” in the last line of the pre-chorus. Just struck me as changing the focus of the song, which is about being “down by the ocean” and not so much about “not going down” to the ocean. I also think it would emphasize the “down by ocean" hook and lead better into the chorus. Just a thought--use or lose, as they say.

Totally love the sound of this one—it’s got a bit of Springsteen feel to me, but still it’s own sound. Terrific stuff, Dave.

All the best,

Deej

#1155643 - 08/02/19 01:01 AM Re: Down By The Ocean [Re: Deej56]  
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,552
GocartMoz Offline
Top 200 Poster
GocartMoz  Offline
Top 200 Poster

Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,552
Florida
Originally Posted by Roy Cooper
What a great story song David.

I followed every line and it held my interest right to the end.

And at the end the finish was cool... 'buy some rounds'.

My fav lines are the first 2 in the chorus.

Johnny loves Sue
But Sue got caught with Johnny's friend Drew


God Bless Roy


Thanks much for giving this a listen Roy. It is greatly appreciated.


Originally Posted by Deej56
Dave,

Great opening lick—really engaging throughout. Is that you playing? If so, very impressive. LIke the chord progression as well. Lyrically, my only nit would be to get rid of the “Don’t go” in the last line of the pre-chorus. Just struck me as changing the focus of the song, which is about being “down by the ocean” and not so much about “not going down” to the ocean. I also think it would emphasize the “down by ocean" hook and lead better into the chorus. Just a thought--use or lose, as they say.

Totally love the sound of this one—it’s got a bit of Springsteen feel to me, but still it’s own sound. Terrific stuff, Dave.

All the best,

Deej


Thanks, as well for listening and commenting Deej. Always appreciated. Yes, this is all me on this track, aside from the drums, which were programmed. I am playing my Tele Deluxe which you can see in the SoundCloud picture. Excellent thoughts. Thanks again.

Dave

#1155657 - 08/02/19 05:49 PM Re: Down By The Ocean [Re: GocartMoz]  
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 1,221
Gavin Sinclair Online content
Top 200 Poster
Gavin Sinclair  Online Content
Top 200 Poster

Joined: May 2017
Posts: 1,221
Conover, North Carolina, USA
Wow! This is great. Funny, I thought of Springsteen too. Not so much for the sound of it, but the way you paint the picture. Really enjoyed this. Listened twice and liked it even more the second time.

#1155664 - 08/03/19 05:20 AM Re: Down By The Ocean [Re: GocartMoz]  
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 11,922
Travis david Online content
Top 10 Poster
Travis david  Online Content
Top 10 Poster

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 11,922
Kendal, Cumbria .UK
Great theme Dave,brilliant song all round a good opener to me signing on the forum today
Regards
Travis


We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. Oscar Wilde
#1155673 - 08/03/19 12:22 PM Re: Down By The Ocean [Re: Gavin Sinclair]  
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,552
GocartMoz Offline
Top 200 Poster
GocartMoz  Offline
Top 200 Poster

Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,552
Florida


Originally Posted by Gavin Sinclair
Wow! This is great. Funny, I thought of Springsteen too. Not so much for the sound of it, but the way you paint the picture. Really enjoyed this. Listened twice and liked it even more the second time.


Hey Gavin ... Appreciate the double listens. Glad you enjoyed it!

Dave

#1155675 - 08/03/19 01:16 PM Re: Down By The Ocean [Re: GocartMoz]  
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 19,834
Calvin Offline
Top 10 Poster
Calvin  Offline
Top 10 Poster

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 19,834
Okeechobee, Florida U.S.A.

#1155676 - 08/03/19 01:56 PM Re: Down By The Ocean [Re: GocartMoz]  
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,095
Sunset Poet Online content
Top 200 Poster
Sunset Poet  Online Content
Top 200 Poster

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,095
Houston, Texas
Enjoyable sound. Liked the story too.

Martin

#1155679 - 08/03/19 03:04 PM Re: Down By The Ocean [Re: GocartMoz]  
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,103
Michael Zaneski Offline
Top 50 Poster
Michael Zaneski  Offline
Top 50 Poster

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,103
California
Hi Dave,

To me this is more like a Randy Newman kinda lyric (though I too hear bits of The Boss) with a Steely Dan musical precision and flare. And your last name is Becker!!

The lyric, to me, is like the equivalent of Bergman's "Smiles of a Summer Night" (meets Beach Blanket Bingo?) --comedic in that the singer is recounting the various re-couplings of the ocean folks. The singer's also a little terrorized from afar by these folks, captured perfectly in your mama-told-me-not-to-come-like phrasing of "don't go down by the ocean."

It is indeed a little movie and an enjoyable one at that. smile

Mike

Last edited by Michael Zaneski; 08/03/19 06:41 PM.

Fate doesn't hang on a wrong or right choice
Fortune depends on the tone of your voice

-The Divine Comedy (Neil Hannon)
from the song "Songs of Love"
from the album "Casanova" (1996)
#1155691 - 08/04/19 01:24 PM Re: Down By The Ocean [Re: GocartMoz]  
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 230
JaneK Offline
Serious Contributor
JaneK  Offline
Serious Contributor

Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 230
California
I really enjoyed listening to this song. The lyrics and melody kept my interest until the end.

Jane

#1155693 - 08/04/19 01:45 PM Re: Down By The Ocean [Re: GocartMoz]  
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 2,496
Fdemetrio Online content
Top 200 Poster
Fdemetrio  Online Content
Top 200 Poster

Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 2,496
I hear The Thrill is Gone in the intro, maybe Bruce's Soul Driver minus the swing feel

I enjoyed the emotional guitar playing, enjoyable listen.

#1155731 - 08/06/19 11:19 AM Re: Down By The Ocean [Re: Fdemetrio]  
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,552
GocartMoz Offline
Top 200 Poster
GocartMoz  Offline
Top 200 Poster

Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,552
Florida
Originally Posted by Travis david
Great theme Dave,brilliant song all round a good opener to me signing on the forum today
Regards
Travis


Thx much for the listen and comments Travis. Greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted by Calvin
Nice work Dave !


Calvin

Thx for giving this a spin Calvin. Greatly appreciated.



[quote=Martin Lide]Enjoyable sound. Liked the story too.

Martin


Thanks much Martin for listening and commenting.

Originally Posted by Michael Zaneski
Hi Dave,

To me this is more like a Randy Newman kinda lyric (though I too hear bits of The Boss) with a Steely Dan musical precision and flare. And your last name is Becker!!

The lyric, to me, is like the equivalent of Bergman's "Smiles of a Summer Night" (meets Beach Blanket Bingo?) --comedic in that the singer is recounting the various re-couplings of the ocean folks. The singer's also a little terrorized from afar by these folks, captured perfectly in your mama-told-me-not-to-come-like phrasing of "don't go down by the ocean."

It is indeed a little movie and an enjoyable one at that. smile

Mike


Ha ha! Thx Michael. I must say I am more of a Frankie and Annette fellow than Bergman. Interesting contrast. Also an interesting array of influence comments. Most people know the Boss has and always will be my musical idol. Also love Randy Newman (Sail Away is one of my favorite songs) and a big time Steely Dan fan, though they seem far too complex for anything I can put together. Somebody mentioned to me the opening reminded them of The Eagles, One of These Nights. I must say I had none of any of these bands or artists in mind when I penned this tune, though in retrospect I do hear a bit of One of These Nights in the opening progression. With all the music I have listened to over the years, hard not to have some things sink in.

Originally Posted by JaneK
I really enjoyed listening to this song. The lyrics and melody kept my interest until the end.

Jane


Thank you much Jane for listening and commenting. Much appreciated.

Originally Posted by Fdemetrio
I hear The Thrill is Gone in the intro, maybe Bruce's Soul Driver minus the swing feel

I enjoyed the emotional guitar playing, enjoyable listen.


Appreciate the listen Fdemetrio. I love your Bruce references. Only a true Bruce fan can pull a reference from the Human Touch/Lucky Town years! While I, of course, dig his EStreet Band records more, I always thought those two albums were extremely under-rated. The Thrill is Gone? Wow! Thanks again for the listen.

Thx again to all for listening and commenting.

Dave

#1155810 - 08/10/19 04:44 PM Re: Down By The Ocean [Re: GocartMoz]  
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 2,496
Fdemetrio Online content
Top 200 Poster
Fdemetrio  Online Content
Top 200 Poster

Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 2,496
Originally Posted by GocartMoz
Originally Posted by Travis david
Great theme Dave,brilliant song all round a good opener to me signing on the forum today
Regards
Travis


Thx much for the listen and comments Travis. Greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted by Calvin
Nice work Dave !


Calvin

Thx for giving this a spin Calvin. Greatly appreciated.



[quote=Martin Lide]Enjoyable sound. Liked the story too.

Martin


Thanks much Martin for listening and commenting.

Originally Posted by Michael Zaneski
Hi Dave,

To me this is more like a Randy Newman kinda lyric (though I too hear bits of The Boss) with a Steely Dan musical precision and flare. And your last name is Becker!!

The lyric, to me, is like the equivalent of Bergman's "Smiles of a Summer Night" (meets Beach Blanket Bingo?) --comedic in that the singer is recounting the various re-couplings of the ocean folks. The singer's also a little terrorized from afar by these folks, captured perfectly in your mama-told-me-not-to-come-like phrasing of "don't go down by the ocean."

It is indeed a little movie and an enjoyable one at that. smile

Mike


Ha ha! Thx Michael. I must say I am more of a Frankie and Annette fellow than Bergman. Interesting contrast. Also an interesting array of influence comments. Most people know the Boss has and always will be my musical idol. Also love Randy Newman (Sail Away is one of my favorite songs) and a big time Steely Dan fan, though they seem far too complex for anything I can put together. Somebody mentioned to me the opening reminded them of The Eagles, One of These Nights. I must say I had none of any of these bands or artists in mind when I penned this tune, though in retrospect I do hear a bit of One of These Nights in the opening progression. With all the music I have listened to over the years, hard not to have some things sink in.

Originally Posted by JaneK
I really enjoyed listening to this song. The lyrics and melody kept my interest until the end.

Jane


Thank you much Jane for listening and commenting. Much appreciated.

Originally Posted by Fdemetrio
I hear The Thrill is Gone in the intro, maybe Bruce's Soul Driver minus the swing feel

I enjoyed the emotional guitar playing, enjoyable listen.


Appreciate the listen Fdemetrio. I love your Bruce references. Only a true Bruce fan can pull a reference from the Human Touch/Lucky Town years! While I, of course, dig his EStreet Band records more, I always thought those two albums were extremely under-rated. The Thrill is Gone? Wow! Thanks again for the listen.

Thx again to all for listening and commenting.

Dave


Very underrated. Lotta really good songs that never got airplay human touch was the only one that did. It was even hard to get tix for the alternate band during that tour. I managed to get them at william patterson college the line was outside in the parking lot

I ended up going the night this video was made. Im not in it, was too far back, but this totally rocked https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouWEZPkbznQ

#1155813 - 08/10/19 09:29 PM Re: Down By The Ocean [Re: GocartMoz]  
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,519
E Swartz Offline
Top 100 Poster
E Swartz  Offline
Top 100 Poster

Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,519
Ohio
Hey Dave!

You are sounding spectacular, what a great vibe you have going here. I like the simplistic lyrical approach with this really cool music. Just an awesome production, I was blown away with the mix.

Wearing a "producer's hat" I might want to experiment with using the early PC as a "digressive bridge" later in the song, as for me it has both a dramatic building and resolving feel unto itself rather than lifting the following chorus. Just a thought however, not a nit, and maybe I'm thinking too conventional. One other early line that you might experiment with this small lyrical tweak--"where the trouble resides." (Does trouble hide in the dirty part of town)?

You-d-man today!

steady-eddie

#1155825 - 08/12/19 09:41 AM Re: Down By The Ocean [Re: GocartMoz]  
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,552
GocartMoz Offline
Top 200 Poster
GocartMoz  Offline
Top 200 Poster

Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,552
Florida
@Fdem - I was lucky enough to score 2d row tickets to the Boss during the Lucky Town/Human Touch your at the Orlando Arena. What a great show!

@Eddy - thx as always for the comments and listen. Always greatly appreciated. This was a fun one to put together. It was nice to write a lyric for once that has absolutely no relationship to my own life!

#1156480 - 09/16/19 07:52 AM Re: Down By The Ocean [Re: GocartMoz]  
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,926
MFB III Offline
Top 100 Poster
MFB III  Offline
Top 100 Poster

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,926
ohio
I love the rough and tumble mood of this one and the tough story it portrays, the music is perfect for the song lyrics, and you express your work so well.


Support Just Plain Folks

We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.


Newest Members
Dean_McAlister, Chris Wood, CBAY, mrpeepshow, Craig Allen
21286 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums116
Topics120,621
Posts1,135,231
Members21,286
Average Posts Daily37
Most Online37,523
Jan 25th, 2020
Just Plain Quotes
"One measure of a person's greatness, is the greatness of those he influences and is influenced by." -Brian Austin Whitney
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Popular Topics(Views)
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0