Who's Online Now
18 registered members (couchgrouch, Dave Rice, ckiphen, 9ne, Everett Adams, Gerry, Fdemetrio, Irwin, Gavin Sinclair, 3 invisible), and 333 guests, and
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Member Spotlight
glynda
glynda
Princeton Texas
Posts: 8,675
Joined: July 2008
Show All Member Profiles 
What's Going On
Because I Dream (ckiphen/Deej Collaboration)
by ckiphen. 05/31/20 08:26 AM
Saving Grace
by ckiphen. 05/31/20 08:24 AM
COVID19 SONG-The World Has Got The Blues
by MusicLand. 05/31/20 07:02 AM
SOCAN surprise
by Everett Adams. 05/31/20 05:40 AM
Are you a spender or a saver
by Everett Adams. 05/31/20 05:29 AM
Songwriter with samples
by MusicLand. 05/31/20 05:20 AM
HOW TO COME UP WITH A HIT SONG
by MusicLand. 05/31/20 05:03 AM
It's Not The Same
by Gerry. 05/31/20 04:35 AM
Wisdom's Jungle 1
by Perry Neal Crawford. 05/31/20 01:20 AM
Heavy Cross to Bear
by Songbird52. 05/30/20 07:04 PM
Hotel Care Covid-19 Fundraiser 5-30-20
by Gary E. Andrews. 05/30/20 06:05 PM
Thank God there are Mountains
by Vicarn. 05/30/20 03:41 PM
NEW MEMBERS CHECK HERE
by Bill Draper. 05/30/20 03:29 PM
Separating tracks?
by 9ne. 05/30/20 02:48 PM
INTERNET LIVE, THE NEW NORMAL
by Brian Austin Whitney. 05/30/20 01:38 PM
Need metal lyrics?
by Brian Austin Whitney. 05/30/20 01:33 PM
House Resolution #6666
by Brian Austin Whitney. 05/30/20 01:30 PM
So Where Does Your Song Rank On Ourstage?
by Brian Austin Whitney. 05/30/20 01:12 PM
Whatever 'These Days' Means These Days
by Gerry. 05/30/20 12:15 PM
Produced a Clip for Fiji Broadcasting
by niteshift. 05/30/20 05:55 AM
Out of the ashes (CHORUS only done)
by Steve Altonian. 05/29/20 08:05 PM
For A Little Time More (Video)
by Martin Lide. 05/29/20 05:03 PM
Down to the ground
by lane1777. 05/29/20 12:12 PM
And now, something completely different......
by 90 dB. 05/29/20 12:09 PM
All By Myself
by IronKnee. 05/28/20 11:38 PM
The Walk of Time
by Bill Draper. 05/28/20 06:57 PM
WINTER NIGHT. Rewrite 3
by Bill Draper. 05/28/20 06:52 PM
Girl from Yesterday
by Bill Draper. 05/28/20 06:06 PM
Lift Each Other Up
by Bill Draper. 05/28/20 05:30 PM
Top Posters(All Time)
Calvin 19,816
Travis david 11,801
Kevin Emmrich 10,645
Jean Bullock 10,330
Kaley Willow 10,240
Two Singers 9,600
Joice Marie 9,186
Mackie H. 8,845
glynda 8,675
Mike Dunbar 8,574
Tricia Baker 8,318
Colin Ward 7,909
couchgrouch 7,740
Dave Rice 7,618
Corey 7,357
Mark Kaufman 6,584
Wyman Lloyd 6,578
Vicarn 6,428
ben willis 6,107
Lynn Orloff 5,788
Louis 5,725
niteshift 5,678
Linda Sings 5,608
KimberlyinNC 5,210
Neil Cotton 4,909
Derek Hines 4,893
DonnaMarilyn 4,666
Blake Hill 4,528
Bob Cushing 4,376
Roy Cooper 4,221
Bill Osofsky 4,199
Tom Shea 4,179
Cindy Miller 4,178
TamsNumber4 4,099
nightengale 4,096
MFB III 3,921
Caroline 3,865
Kolstad 3,814
Dan Sullivan 3,710
beechnut79 3,580
E Swartz 3,481
Dottie 3,427
joewatt 3,411
Bill Cooper 3,279
John Hoffman 3,199
Skip Johnson 3,027
Pam Hurley 3,007
Terry G 3,005
PopTodd 2,890
Harriet Ames 2,870
Nigel Quin 2,829
MidniteBob 2,708
Nelson 2,603
Tom Tracy 2,558
Polly Hager 2,526
Jerry Jakala 2,524
Al Alvarez 2,499
Eric Thome 2,448
Hummingbird 2,401
Stan Loh 2,263
Sam Wilson 2,242
Judy Hollier 2,232
Wendy D 2,219
Erica Ellis 2,202
Fdemetrio 2,183
TrumanCoyote 2,096
Marty Helly 2,027
maccharles 1,988
DukeWill 1,988
floyd jane 1,983
Clint Anglin 1,904
cindyrella 1,888
David Wright 1,866
Martin Lide 1,862
Clairejeanne 1,851
Cindy LaRosa 1,824
Ronald Boyt 1,675
Iggy 1,650
Noel Downs 1,620
Rick Heenan 1,608
Cal 1,574
Jack Swain 1,554
Pete Larsen 1,537
Ann Tygart 1,529
GocartMoz 1,521
Tom Breshers 1,487
RogerS 1,471
Tom Franz 1,455
Chuck Crowe 1,441
Ralph Blight 1,440
Kenneth Cade 1,429
Rick Norton 1,428
bholt 1,411
Letha Allen 1,408
in2piano 1,404
Stan Simons 1,402
mattbanx 1,384
Jen Shaner 1,373
Charlie Wong 1,347
KevinP 1,324
Vondelle 1,316
Tom W. 1,313
Jan Petter 1,301
scottandrew 1,292
DakLander 1,265
Deej56 1,250
PeteG 1,242
Ian Ferrin 1,230
Glen King 1,214
IdeaGuy 1,209
Gerry 1,191
AaronAuthier 1,177
lane1777 1,162
Diane Ewing 1,158
summeoyo 1,146
joro 1,082
BobbyJoe 1,075
S.DEE 1,040
yann 1,037
Tony A 1,016
IronKnee 986
argo 986
peaden 984
Wolvman 960
90 dB 921
Jak Kelly 912
9ne 902
krtinberg 890
Drifter 886
Petra 883
RJC 845
Brenda152 840
Nadia 829
Juan 797
TKO 784
Dayson 781
frahmes 781
teletwang 762
ant 747
Andy K 746
tbryson 737
Andy Kemp 734
Jackie444 731
3daveyO3 704
Dixie 701
Joy Boy 695
Knute 686
Lee Arten 678
Irwin 660
Katziis 652
R.T.MOORE 638
Pat Hardy 637
quality 637
Moosesong 634
CG King 622
douglas 621
Mel 614
NaomiSue 601
Shandy 589
Ria 587
TAMERA64 583
qbaum 570
nitepiano 566
JAPOV 562
pRISCILLA 556
Tink2 553
musica 539
deanbell 528
RobertK 527
BonzaiWag 523
Roderic 522
R&M 516
BB Wilbur 511
goodfolks 499
Zeek 487
Stu 486
Steve P. 481
KathyW 462
allenb 459
MaxG 458
Philjo 454
fanito 448
trush48 448
dmk 442
arealrush 437
DGR 436
avweek 435
Stephen D 433
Emmy 431
Rob L 426
marquez 422
kit 419
Softkrome 417
kyrksongs 415
RRon 408
Laura G. 407
VNORTH 407
Debra 407
eb 406
cuebald 399
EdPerrone 399
Dannyk1 395
Hobart 395
Davyboy49 393
Smile 389
GJShades 387
Ezt 384
tone 380
Marla 380
Cecilee 379
iggyiggy 378
coalminer 377
java 374
spidey 371
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#1135344 - 01/21/18 08:10 AM Out of Time (southern rock)  
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 497
TC Perkins Offline
Top 500 Poster
TC Perkins  Offline
Top 500 Poster

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 497
Virginia
I made some changes to this tune based on valuable feedback I received from folks.
1. Lyric rewrite
2. New lead vocal
3. New mix

Let me know what you think - the good, the bad, and the ugly! :-p

UPDATE: new mix, 2/9/18

OUT OF TIME <-----song link

There you stand
Pretty head down in your hands
You can't decide
If it's worth this white knuckle ride

Complain there is no laughter
And you're too numb for tears
I hope you will remember
All those years,
I kept on sayin'

You're out of time
No demand, no deception, no excuse or exception
You're out out time
No appeal or misdirection, no proviso for exemption
You're out of time
No petition, no distraction, no extension or retraction
You're out of time
No stipulation or pretension, no last ditch intervention

I could find peace of mind
If I walked away
You could find someone new
To play your game
I see clearer now
Than I have in years
Rattle someone else's cage
Watch me disappear

If you have questions
Answers are easy to find
But you might not like the fact
I am no longer blind

Complain there is no laughter
And you're too numb for tears
I hope you will remember
All those years,
I kept on sayin'

You're out of time
No demand, no deception, no excuse or exception
You're out out time
No appeal or misdirection, no proviso for exemption
You're out of time
No petition, no distraction, no extension or retraction
You're out of time
No stipulation or pretension, no last ditch intervention

You're out of time

Last edited by TC Perkins; 02/09/18 10:44 PM.

If it has strings I will find a way to play it!

You can hear my tunes at https://soundcloud.com/tc-gypsy
#1135359 - 01/21/18 04:42 PM Re: Out of Time (southern rock) [Re: TC Perkins]  
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 7,618
Dave Rice Online content
Top 30 Poster
Dave Rice  Online Content
Top 30 Poster

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 7,618
Texas
Very nice, T.C.

Sounds ready to me. I believe you got some good advice on the first time around... and took advantage of it. Good luck with it. ----Dave

#1135365 - 01/21/18 09:59 PM Re: Out of Time (southern rock) [Re: TC Perkins]  
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,481
E Swartz Offline
Top 100 Poster
E Swartz  Offline
Top 100 Poster

Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,481
Ohio
TC,

I really like the song, especially the "drive" with the guitar tone. I think it sounds great all round, no major nits, just one small "possible" polishing nit.......I think there are some places where lead vox gets upstaged a bit--maybe add 1-2 db to lead vox or automate lead vox to rise in a few spots. I'm listening on headphones that do boost the bass slightly--so am making that assessment from this headphone perspective which may not be accurate for other speaker systems--so take that into consideration.

Interesting lyrics, not ones that will be grasped quickly--not a bad thing, as the music captures you quickly--a good thing.

Nice work here!

steady-eddie

#1135381 - 01/22/18 09:57 AM Re: Out of Time (southern rock) [Re: TC Perkins]  
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,428
Vicarn Offline
Top 40 Poster
Vicarn  Offline
Top 40 Poster

Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,428
UK
This is a well thought out piece.
I would agree with Eddie with the vocal getting lost in instruments at times.
You would know what to do about that.

Vic


It's never too late? Yes it is, so do it now.

If, given time, a monkey can write the complete works of Shakespeare maybe there's hope for me.

http://store.cdbaby.com/cd/vicarnold2

http://www.soundclick.com/vicarnold

http://soundcloud.com/vic-arnold

#1135384 - 01/22/18 11:31 AM Re: Out of Time (southern rock) [Re: TC Perkins]  
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,909
Neil Cotton Offline
Top 50 Poster
Neil Cotton  Offline
Top 50 Poster

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,909
Georgetown, ON,CANADA
Good job...maybe the first line could be more captivating.

Is it worth this
White knuckle ride
There you stand
Pretty head down in hands can't decide

#1135409 - 01/22/18 11:32 PM Re: Out of Time (southern rock) [Re: TC Perkins]  
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,250
Deej56 Offline
Top 200 Poster
Deej56  Offline
Top 200 Poster

Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,250
TC,

This sounds great to me. I wish I could put something together this smooth from a production perspective. And given my limited ear and skill set in that regard, I'll offer up only this, as I listened: I wish the lead guitar/lead riff was just a bit deeper, particularly given the vocal that does with it. The totality of sound seems maybe too high.

Sorry if that's not helpful--I don't know the technical terms to help convey what I think I'm hearing. I guess maybe a depth on the instrumentation.

But, listen, this is pretty awesome as it is. Lyrics are really strong; like the back-up vocals. Solid, solid tune.

Best regards,

Deej

#1135852 - 01/30/18 06:45 AM Re: Out of Time (southern rock) [Re: TC Perkins]  
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 11,801
Travis david Online content
Top 10 Poster
Travis david  Online Content
Top 10 Poster

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 11,801
Kendal, Cumbria .UK
Good sound deserves a bump so here it is.
Travis


We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. Oscar Wilde
#1136222 - 02/03/18 11:28 PM Re: Out of Time (southern rock) [Re: Vicarn]  
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 497
TC Perkins Offline
Top 500 Poster
TC Perkins  Offline
Top 500 Poster

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 497
Virginia
Originally Posted by Dave Rice
Very nice, T.C.

Sounds ready to me. I believe you got some good advice on the first time around... and took advantage of it. Good luck with it. ----Dave


Thanks, Dave. Ready for what, I am not sure, lol.

Originally Posted by E Swartz
TC,

I really like the song, especially the "drive" with the guitar tone. I think it sounds great all round, no major nits, just one small "possible" polishing nit.......I think there are some places where lead vox gets upstaged a bit--maybe add 1-2 db to lead vox or automate lead vox to rise in a few spots. I'm listening on headphones that do boost the bass slightly--so am making that assessment from this headphone perspective which may not be accurate for other speaker systems--so take that into consideration.

Interesting lyrics, not ones that will be grasped quickly--not a bad thing, as the music captures you quickly--a good thing.

Nice work here!

steady-eddie


Thanks, Eddie. I would have to agree with you on the vocal pocket. It does need some tweaking. This song was at the top of my range, and I was loathe to push it out there too far. The vocal needs to sound a little bigger and not get lost in the bridge. Good ears, and your headphones are working just fine!

Originally Posted by Vicarn
This is a well thought out piece.
I would agree with Eddie with the vocal getting lost in instruments at times.
You would know what to do about that.

Vic


Thanks, Vic. I agree with both of you. I will make some adjustments soon, and update the file on Soundcloud.

---------------

Many thanks for the listens and comments.

Peace,
TC


If it has strings I will find a way to play it!

You can hear my tunes at https://soundcloud.com/tc-gypsy
#1136223 - 02/03/18 11:33 PM Re: Out of Time (southern rock) [Re: Travis david]  
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 497
TC Perkins Offline
Top 500 Poster
TC Perkins  Offline
Top 500 Poster

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 497
Virginia
Originally Posted by Neil Cotton
Good job...maybe the first line could be more captivating.

Is it worth this
White knuckle ride
There you stand
Pretty head down in hands can't decide



Thanks, Neil. Hmmm, I will have to think about this suggestion and see if it grows on me.

Originally Posted by Deej56
TC,

This sounds great to me. I wish I could put something together this smooth from a production perspective. And given my limited ear and skill set in that regard, I'll offer up only this, as I listened: I wish the lead guitar/lead riff was just a bit deeper, particularly given the vocal that does with it. The totality of sound seems maybe too high.

Sorry if that's not helpful--I don't know the technical terms to help convey what I think I'm hearing. I guess maybe a depth on the instrumentation.

But, listen, this is pretty awesome as it is. Lyrics are really strong; like the back-up vocals. Solid, solid tune.

Best regards,

Deej



Thanks, Deej. I think I hear what you are referring to (correct me if I am wrong). The guitars being really the only thing going on other than drum/bass/vocal could use more depth and sound bigger from a dimensional point of view. I did try to achieve this but it's tricky without a room full of amps to pick from and a room mic in a nice room. I think I can improve it somewhat, and I'll give it a shake when I fix the vocal.

Originally Posted by Travis david
Good sound deserves a bump so here it is.
Travis


Thanks, Travis. I am glad you liked it.

------------------

Thanks for the listens and valuable critiques.

Peace,
TC


If it has strings I will find a way to play it!

You can hear my tunes at https://soundcloud.com/tc-gypsy
#1136244 - 02/04/18 12:37 PM Re: Out of Time (southern rock) [Re: TC Perkins]  
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 747
ant Offline
Top 500 Poster
ant  Offline
Top 500 Poster

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 747
California
Cool hook on the guitar. Steve Miller would be proud. Good mix overall but could use more punch and differentiation. I'd first look at separating the bass and guitar, they really are stomping on each other. You can hear it when the bass comes in. The first slide sounds find then the bass disappears when the guitar comes in. The guitar could use a big bass cut.

The vocal is a little buried but I'd get that bass/drum/guitar section nailed tight as it drives the song, then look at how to have the vocal still pop out from that - maybe a cool effect or dead-center with the bass and the guitars panned hard LR?

BTO's "You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet" might be a good reference here. Compare how the bass and guitar there find their own spaces. The vocal is kind of thin but it works with that songs as the guitars and bass line really drive the song.

Nice work!

..ant


Stream my album "Out On The Road" at Spotify, Soundcloud and Apple Music.
#1136249 - 02/04/18 02:54 PM Re: Out of Time (southern rock) [Re: TC Perkins]  
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,909
Neil Cotton Offline
Top 50 Poster
Neil Cotton  Offline
Top 50 Poster

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,909
Georgetown, ON,CANADA
Thumbs up

#1136319 - 02/05/18 11:16 AM Re: Out of Time (southern rock) [Re: TC Perkins]  
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,089
Michael Zaneski Offline
Top 50 Poster
Michael Zaneski  Offline
Top 50 Poster

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,089
California
Hi TC,

As I listen..

Loving the panned guitars..

Loving the call.response vocals..

Mixed great..

Love the drama created in the spaces between downbeats in the verses, especially early on..

Cool lyric..after the Moody Blues came out with "One More Time To Live" on EGBDF almost fifty years ago (! OMG where has the time gone ?!?!?) I remember thinking, "great, now I can't use a string of "tion" words in my song cuz I'll be thought a copycat." .I think the Statute of Limitations is way passed and you are safe, lol....besides you use your string of "tion" words in a totally different way and in a song with a totally different tone and feel..

Very enjoyable..

Loved it.. smile

Mike


Fate doesn't hang on a wrong or right choice
Fortune depends on the tone of your voice

-The Divine Comedy (Neil Hannon)
from the song "Songs of Love"
from the album "Casanova" (1996)
#1136423 - 02/06/18 11:30 AM Re: Out of Time (southern rock) [Re: TC Perkins]  
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,894
Ricki E. Bellos Offline
Top 40 Poster
Ricki E. Bellos  Offline
Top 40 Poster

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,894
Wisconsin
TC, musically this sounds great. In my head I could hear more vocal harmonies to fill it out some but everything else has a full, rich feel to it.

Lyrically, the chorus is really strong and clever and leaves no doubt that this relationship is over, but lines like this:

"You can't decide...", and "If I walked away... " seem like they contradict that.

"All those years, I kept on sayin..." to me this says he's known for a long time it was over and yet then he says:

"I could find peace of mind If I walked away...", and "I see clearer now Than I have in years..."

Isn't this saying he's just now figuring it out? And he's still in the "if" stage?

I think either the chorus needs verses that have the same strength of conviction, or the verses need a less decisive chorus. To me, they're at odds with each other and take something away from a really solid sounding song.

Ricki

#1136450 - 02/06/18 07:15 PM Re: Out of Time (southern rock) [Re: TC Perkins]  
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 3,828
Kristi McKeever Offline
Top 100 Poster
Kristi McKeever  Offline
Top 100 Poster

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 3,828
USA
Hi T.C.,

This is so cool and catchy. I really like the chorus and how the lines all interact with each other with the vocal and music. I just happened to catch Ricki's post above me and she makes some good points, imo. For me, what I took out of it was the message is a definite statement and this person is just coming to this conclusion and it has not been without ambivalence "all those years, I kept sayin'" etc...he could have walked away years ago but now, this is IT.

Anyway, hope something in there is helpful! It sounds great!

Kristi


A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write,
if he is to be ultimately at peace with himself. What a man can be,
he must be. -- Abraham Maslow, American Psychologist
#1136516 - 02/07/18 07:03 PM Re: Out of Time (southern rock) [Re: Kristi McKeever]  
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 497
TC Perkins Offline
Top 500 Poster
TC Perkins  Offline
Top 500 Poster

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 497
Virginia
Originally Posted by ant
Cool hook on the guitar. Steve Miller would be proud. Good mix overall but could use more punch and differentiation. I'd first look at separating the bass and guitar, they really are stomping on each other. You can hear it when the bass comes in. The first slide sounds find then the bass disappears when the guitar comes in. The guitar could use a big bass cut.

The vocal is a little buried but I'd get that bass/drum/guitar section nailed tight as it drives the song, then look at how to have the vocal still pop out from that - maybe a cool effect or dead-center with the bass and the guitars panned hard LR?

BTO's "You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet" might be a good reference here. Compare how the bass and guitar there find their own spaces. The vocal is kind of thin but it works with that songs as the guitars and bass line really drive the song.

Nice work!

..ant


Thanks, Ant. Funny, I did think of Steve Miller when I got going on this; loved his stuff. I plan to re-mix this as soon as I get this new song out. I will go listen to that BTO song; loved their stuff as well.

Originally Posted by Ricki E. Bellos
TC, musically this sounds great. In my head I could hear more vocal harmonies to fill it out some but everything else has a full, rich feel to it.

Lyrically, the chorus is really strong and clever and leaves no doubt that this relationship is over, but lines like this:

"You can't decide...", and "If I walked away... " seem like they contradict that.

"All those years, I kept on sayin..." to me this says he's known for a long time it was over and yet then he says:

"I could find peace of mind If I walked away...", and "I see clearer now Than I have in years..."

Isn't this saying he's just now figuring it out? And he's still in the "if" stage?

I think either the chorus needs verses that have the same strength of conviction, or the verses need a less decisive chorus. To me, they're at odds with each other and take something away from a really solid sounding song.

Ricki


Thanks, Ricki. You mean more harmonies in the chorus or on the verses?

Actually, the song is not about it being 'over'. If you listen to the opening lyric, "you wonder if it's worth this white knuckle ride" - the song is about a relationship on the rocks. The "out of time" is that time is up to make up her/their minds. So, in that light, the other lyrics are just supporting this.

Originally Posted by Kristi McKeever
Hi T.C.,

This is so cool and catchy. I really like the chorus and how the lines all interact with each other with the vocal and music. I just happened to catch Ricki's post above me and she makes some good points, imo. For me, what I took out of it was the message is a definite statement and this person is just coming to this conclusion and it has not been without ambivalence "all those years, I kept sayin'" etc...he could have walked away years ago but now, this is IT.

Anyway, hope something in there is helpful! It sounds great!

Kristi



Thanks, Kristi. It's a minimalist song in terms of instrumentation but I thought it worked fairly well. See my post above about the 'interpretation' of the lyrics (which I usually leave up to the listener but this song is more straight forward than some of my other lyrics). They/she are finally at the crossroads and the song tries to reflect the mixed feelings but also push the conclusion that she is out of time to decide.

Glad you liked it.

-----------------

I appreciate the listens and critiques, as always.

Peace,
TC


If it has strings I will find a way to play it!

You can hear my tunes at https://soundcloud.com/tc-gypsy
#1136518 - 02/07/18 07:58 PM Re: Out of Time (southern rock) [Re: TC Perkins]  
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 19,816
Calvin Offline
Top 10 Poster
Calvin  Offline
Top 10 Poster

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 19,816
Okeechobee, Florida U.S.A.
Hello TC,


VERY CATCHY, I'm impressed & jealous too.


Calvin


http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/calvinstewart

#1136521 - 02/07/18 09:45 PM Re: Out of Time (southern rock) [Re: TC Perkins]  
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 36
RichMac Offline
Casual Observer
RichMac  Offline
Casual Observer

Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 36
Hi TC

Love the backing.
Agree the vocal could be louder and maybe meaner.
Neat rocker though.

Cheers.

#1138663 - 03/15/18 10:20 AM Re: Out of Time (southern rock) [Re: RichMac]  
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 497
TC Perkins Offline
Top 500 Poster
TC Perkins  Offline
Top 500 Poster

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 497
Virginia
Originally Posted by Calvin
Hello TC,


VERY CATCHY, I'm impressed & jealous too.


Calvin


http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/calvinstewart


Thanks, Calvin. Don't be jealous - you have some pretty good stuff yourself!


Originally Posted by RichMac
Hi TC

Love the backing.
Agree the vocal could be louder and maybe meaner.
Neat rocker though.

Cheers.


Thanks, Rich. I am not completely happy with the vocal either and agree that it could have a bit more attitude.

-----------

I appreciate the listens and comments, as always.

Peace,
TC


If it has strings I will find a way to play it!

You can hear my tunes at https://soundcloud.com/tc-gypsy
#1138665 - 03/15/18 01:48 PM Re: Out of Time (southern rock) [Re: TC Perkins]  
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,983
floyd jane Offline
Top 200 Poster
floyd jane  Offline
Top 200 Poster

Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,983
Tampa
TC,

This is really good. I enjoyed listening. Got a sense of a BTO track (guitars/bass/drums) with vocals by The Knack...a cool combination.

The mix sounds good to me. Drums are cool - "busy" the way a lot of Rock of the era was... excellent guitar riffing...

I had no problem with the vocals - they are plenty clear enough - maybe "too clear". Generally, songwriters (as most JPF'ers are) want vocals to be more upfront. Good for Country and singer/songwriter stuff... Personally, I think a Rock vocal should really "sit in the mix". Most of us spent a good deal of our youths arguing about what some lyrics really were...See what happens if you roll off the high EQ (on the vocal) completely above 4K - maybe even down to 2-3K (you might need to then bump the volume up a dB or so). If you add a reference track to your DAW (like a similar BTO song), you'd be surprised how "dull" the vocals sound compared with the way we tend to mix these days (particularly songwriters/home recordist). This is not a knock at all - I really enjoyed the song and think it is well done...

fj

#1138709 - 03/16/18 06:00 PM Re: Out of Time (southern rock) [Re: TC Perkins]  
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 187
RainyDayMan Offline
Serious Contributor
RainyDayMan  Offline
Serious Contributor

Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 187
Stratford, Australia
Didn't hear the original, but love this version. Top draw quality.

#1138717 - 03/16/18 08:59 PM Re: Out of Time (southern rock) [Re: TC Perkins]  
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,603
Nelson Offline
Top 200 Poster
Nelson  Offline
Top 200 Poster

Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,603
Baltimore, MD
A killer groove TC.
The intro sets it off perfectly.
It has a funky Muscle Shoals - Skynyrd - Allman Brother type feel to it... excellent outro
I don't know a thing about production but I will say, I like how clear things are and how perfectly placed everything seem to be.

The harmonies to my ears sound right on point and I'm loving the guitar work.

#1138721 - 03/17/18 12:05 AM Re: Out of Time (southern rock) [Re: TC Perkins]  
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,250
Deej56 Offline
Top 200 Poster
Deej56  Offline
Top 200 Poster

Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,250
Well, TC, I can't quite recall this as against the original. But re-reading my comments on the original version, whatever reservations I had, well forget them . . . because this is very, very cool. Kicks from start to finish--like it a ton. Great, great job! Good luck with this one--it's deserving of better fortunes!

Kind regards,

Deej

#1138762 - 03/17/18 08:47 PM Re: Out of Time (southern rock) [Re: RainyDayMan]  
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 497
TC Perkins Offline
Top 500 Poster
TC Perkins  Offline
Top 500 Poster

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 497
Virginia
Originally Posted by Michael Zaneski
Hi TC,

As I listen..

Loving the panned guitars..

Loving the call.response vocals..

Mixed great..

Love the drama created in the spaces between downbeats in the verses, especially early on..

Cool lyric..after the Moody Blues came out with "One More Time To Live" on EGBDF almost fifty years ago (! OMG where has the time gone ?!?!?) I remember thinking, "great, now I can't use a string of "tion" words in my song cuz I'll be thought a copycat." .I think the Statute of Limitations is way passed and you are safe, lol....besides you use your string of "tion" words in a totally different way and in a song with a totally different tone and feel..

Very enjoyable..

Loved it.. smile

Mike





Hey Mike. Sorry I didn't respond sooner; the multi-quote thing keeps the post shorter but it has its drawbacks (keeping track of replies). I didn't even think about the 'tion' thing when I wrote this; it just came out that way.

I'm glad you liked it. Thanks for the listen and comments.

Originally Posted by floyd jane
TC,

This is really good. I enjoyed listening. Got a sense of a BTO track (guitars/bass/drums) with vocals by The Knack...a cool combination.

The mix sounds good to me. Drums are cool - "busy" the way a lot of Rock of the era was... excellent guitar riffing...

I had no problem with the vocals - they are plenty clear enough - maybe "too clear". Generally, songwriters (as most JPF'ers are) want vocals to be more upfront. Good for Country and singer/songwriter stuff... Personally, I think a Rock vocal should really "sit in the mix". Most of us spent a good deal of our youths arguing about what some lyrics really were...See what happens if you roll off the high EQ (on the vocal) completely above 4K - maybe even down to 2-3K (you might need to then bump the volume up a dB or so). If you add a reference track to your DAW (like a similar BTO song), you'd be surprised how "dull" the vocals sound compared with the way we tend to mix these days (particularly songwriters/home recordist). This is not a knock at all - I really enjoyed the song and think it is well done...

fj


Thanks, Floyd. I tried to make the vocals a bit more prominent on this tune than I usually do because it is more towards the country genre. I think the vocals could sit better, too, and as I listen to it again, chilling the highs out might be just the thing. Good ears!

Originally Posted by RainyDayMan
Didn't hear the original, but love this version. Top draw quality.


Thanks, bro! I'm glad you liked it.

-------

I appreciate the listens and comments, as always.

I will catch up on replies soon, and try not to miss anyone this time.

Peace,
TC


If it has strings I will find a way to play it!

You can hear my tunes at https://soundcloud.com/tc-gypsy
#1138933 - 03/22/18 12:20 PM Re: Out of Time (southern rock) [Re: Deej56]  
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 497
TC Perkins Offline
Top 500 Poster
TC Perkins  Offline
Top 500 Poster

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 497
Virginia
Originally Posted by Nelson
A killer groove TC.
The intro sets it off perfectly.
It has a funky Muscle Shoals - Skynyrd - Allman Brother type feel to it... excellent outro
I don't know a thing about production but I will say, I like how clear things are and how perfectly placed everything seem to be.

The harmonies to my ears sound right on point and I'm loving the guitar work.


Thanks, Nelson. I love the Allman brothers, and southern rock in general.

Originally Posted by Deej56
Well, TC, I can't quite recall this as against the original. But re-reading my comments on the original version, whatever reservations I had, well forget them . . . because this is very, very cool. Kicks from start to finish--like it a ton. Great, great job! Good luck with this one--it's deserving of better fortunes!

Kind regards,

Deej


Thanks, Deej. I'm glad you liked it. The feedback helped me make this better. I am not sure if it's 'done' but it will work for now while I work on new stuff and fix some older tunes.

---------------

I appreciate the listens and comments.

Peace,
TC


If it has strings I will find a way to play it!

You can hear my tunes at https://soundcloud.com/tc-gypsy
#1138970 - 03/23/18 11:32 AM Re: Out of Time (southern rock) [Re: TC Perkins]  
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 20
Bob_Dietrich Offline
Casual Observer
Bob_Dietrich  Offline
Casual Observer

Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 20
Los Angeles
This is very good. To me the mix is fine. I would have put a little distortion on the guitar but that’s all a matter of taste. I think you should come back to your hook “Your out of time “ more. I would have put each word on the beat to give it more umph. Your Out Of Time. Just something to think about.

#1138975 - 03/23/18 03:55 PM Re: Out of Time (southern rock) [Re: TC Perkins]  
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 20
Bob_Dietrich Offline
Casual Observer
Bob_Dietrich  Offline
Casual Observer

Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 20
Los Angeles
Sorry for the incorrect typing, autocorrect. Should be “You’re out of time”

#1139336 - 04/03/18 12:34 PM Re: Out of Time (southern rock) [Re: TC Perkins]  
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,519
Janice_and_Bud Offline
Top 200 Poster
Janice_and_Bud  Offline
Top 200 Poster

Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,519
Southeastern USA
We are very late to the party and all the accolades have been given.

Suffice it to say that we agree with them all.

We enjoyed this really well done rocker and look forward to adding it to our SC fav playlist.

Kudos on a great productions that simply ROCKS on our monitors.

J&B


Check out our album Janice Merritt "All Over The Map"
on Spotify, Apple Music, Pandora and others.
#1139374 - 04/04/18 12:11 PM Re: Out of Time (southern rock) [Re: TC Perkins]  
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 523
BonzaiWag Offline
Top 500 Poster
BonzaiWag  Offline
Top 500 Poster

Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 523
Oakdale, Ca.
Hey, TC...

Good strong song. Good vocals. Good instrumentals. Good drive... Nice job...

malin


rms
#1139385 - 04/04/18 08:50 PM Re: Out of Time (southern rock) [Re: TC Perkins]  
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 1,082
joro Offline
Top 500 Poster
joro  Offline
Top 500 Poster

Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 1,082
Massachusetts,USA
Very cool. Good song.
Really good performance smile

#1139411 - 04/06/18 03:06 AM Re: Out of Time (southern rock) [Re: joro]  
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 497
TC Perkins Offline
Top 500 Poster
TC Perkins  Offline
Top 500 Poster

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 497
Virginia
Originally Posted by Bob_Dietrich
This is very good. To me the mix is fine. I would have put a little distortion on the guitar but that’s all a matter of taste. I think you should come back to your hook “Your out of time “ more. I would have put each word on the beat to give it more umph. Your Out Of Time. Just something to think about.


Thanks, Bob. I went back and forth on guitar distortion in the tune. It wasn't an easy decision! But at the end of the day, I felt my guitars (I used two: a Les Paul and a Schecter XXX) put enough umph in the tune just driving the clean channel hard.

Hmmm, I will have to consider that idea on the vocals.

Originally Posted by Janice & Bud
We are very late to the party and all the accolades have been given.

Suffice it to say that we agree with them all.

We enjoyed this really well done rocker and look forward to adding it to our SC fav playlist.

Kudos on a great productions that simply ROCKS on our monitors.

J&B



Thanks, Janice & Bud. I'm glad you liked it!

Originally Posted by BonzaiWag
Hey, TC...

Good strong song. Good vocals. Good instrumentals. Good drive... Nice job...

malin


Thanks, Malin. I am not happy with the lead vocals (but I never am for the most part) but I'm glad you enjoyed the tune.

Originally Posted by joro
Very cool. Good song.
Really good performance smile


Thanks, Joro. My first version of this was so-so. Feedback helped me make it even better (as well as time to improve my mixing skills). There will probably even be a round3 on this song as I feel the main vocals could be better, and there is always room for improvement on mix and mastering.

--------------

Many thanks on the listens and critiques, as always.

Peace,
TC

Last edited by TC Perkins; 04/06/18 03:07 AM.

If it has strings I will find a way to play it!

You can hear my tunes at https://soundcloud.com/tc-gypsy
#1139420 - 04/06/18 01:00 PM Re: Out of Time (southern rock) [Re: TC Perkins]  
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,162
lane1777 Offline
Top 500 Poster
lane1777  Offline
Top 500 Poster

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,162
south of the mason,dixon line
always a treat to listen to you T.C , I can`t hear a flaw..I`m no pro, so this is just a thumbs up.....Lane


"Some have a need to chisel in stone, All have a need to be heard" Vincent

Support Just Plain Folks

We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.


Membership
Join Just Plain Folks
to receive the free
JPNotes Newsletter!
*this is separate from
message board registration*

Newest Members
MusicLand, TerryM, Songbird52, FactionFx3, Marcel
21275 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums116
Topics120,388
Posts1,132,423
Members21,275
Average Posts Daily32
Most Online37,523
Jan 25th, 2020
Just Plain Quotes
"One measure of a person's greatness, is the greatness of those he influences and is influenced by." -Brian Austin Whitney
Today's Birthdays
snail1 (64)
Popular Topics(Views)
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0