Who's Online Now
14 registered members (Everett Adams, Marvin Adcock, Calvin, Harriet Ames, couchgrouch, Brian Austin Whitney, Perry Neal Crawford, Dave Rice, niteshift, 9ne), and 372 guests, and
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Member Spotlight
Douglas Murphy
Douglas Murphy
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 6,196
Joined: January 2009
Show All Member Profiles 
What's Going On
Would you
by Everett Adams. 10/16/18 06:53 AM
Flanders 1915
by Travis david. 10/16/18 05:27 AM
Big Jim Merrilees
by Travis david. 10/16/18 12:19 AM
SAME AS YOU INSIDE. (Sad Theme) Deej & Travis
by Travis david. 10/16/18 12:17 AM
2018 Movie...
by Brian Austin Whitney. 10/15/18 11:49 PM
Music Modernization Act
by Brian Austin Whitney. 10/15/18 11:44 PM
I Hope I Die At Night
by Neil Cotton. 10/15/18 07:21 PM
Making Great Demos with BIAB
by Perry Neal Crawford. 10/15/18 07:18 PM
That Lake
by Neil Cotton. 10/15/18 05:49 PM
Have I talked to you today
by lane1777. 10/15/18 04:33 PM
How many of you wrote number 1 songs
by couchgrouch. 10/15/18 02:31 PM
"Star Struck Out"
by lane1777. 10/15/18 12:22 PM
Now Is All There Is
by lane1777. 10/15/18 11:39 AM
I've Been There (revised) glyn
by lane1777. 10/15/18 11:26 AM
It's Time (For Me to Sing the Blues
by 9ne. 10/15/18 11:21 AM
From Darkness to Light
by beechnut79. 10/15/18 10:39 AM
Don't Sweat the Small Stuff
by beechnut79. 10/15/18 10:37 AM
The Night the River Came In
by beechnut79. 10/15/18 10:35 AM
The Drifter in Me
by beechnut79. 10/15/18 10:31 AM
NEW MEMBERS CHECK HERE
by Dave Rice. 10/15/18 09:05 AM
God's Little Half Acre
by Marvin Adcock. 10/15/18 05:55 AM
I'm out...
by Brian Austin Whitney. 10/15/18 03:24 AM
Anybody else getting this message?
by Brian Austin Whitney. 10/15/18 03:12 AM
Come on with AI
by niteshift. 10/14/18 11:02 PM
DOWN RIVER ROAD Mackie
by JC_Forsyth. 10/14/18 01:25 PM
An Unkindness of Ravens
by couchgrouch. 10/13/18 11:50 AM
Cheap Rooms
by rubysshoes. 10/13/18 08:57 AM
Stan Good...
by Roy Cooper. 10/13/18 01:32 AM
Paper Dreams
by Deej56. 10/13/18 12:48 AM
I've Made It Through the Storm
by Irwin. 10/12/18 06:54 PM
Top Posters(All Time)
Calvin 19,608
Travis david 11,062
Kevin Emmrich 10,541
Jean Bullock 10,330
Kaley Willow 10,240
Two Singers 9,571
Joice Marie 9,186
Mackie H. 8,841
glynda 8,579
Mike Dunbar 8,574
Tricia Baker 8,318
Colin Ward 7,899
couchgrouch 7,390
Corey 7,357
Dave Rice 6,829
Wyman Lloyd 6,578
Mark Kaufman 6,436
Joe Wrabek 6,403
ben willis 6,094
Vicarn 5,828
Lynn Orloff 5,788
Louis 5,725
Linda Sings 5,604
niteshift 5,445
KimberlyinNC 5,210
Derek Hines 4,893
DonnaMarilyn 4,623
Blake Hill 4,528
Neil Cotton 4,386
Bob Cushing 4,352
Bill Osofsky 4,199
Cindy Miller 4,178
Tom Shea 4,173
TamsNumber4 4,032
Roy Cooper 4,009
nightengale 3,965
Caroline 3,865
Kolstad 3,783
Dan Sullivan 3,710
MFB III 3,687
Dottie 3,427
beechnut79 3,424
joewatt 3,411
Bill Cooper 3,279
John Hoffman 3,199
E Swartz 3,155
Skip Johnson 3,027
Pam Hurley 3,007
Terry G 3,005
PopTodd 2,887
Harriet Ames 2,870
Nigel Quin 2,809
MidniteBob 2,707
Nelson 2,570
Tom Tracy 2,558
Polly Hager 2,526
Jerry Jakala 2,524
Al Alvarez 2,499
Eric Thome 2,448
Hummingbird 2,401
Stan Loh 2,263
Sam Wilson 2,241
Judy Hollier 2,232
Erica Ellis 2,202
Wendy D 2,184
TrumanCoyote 2,096
Marty Helly 2,012
DukeWill 1,984
floyd jane 1,980
Clint Anglin 1,904
cindyrella 1,888
maccharles 1,878
David Wright 1,866
Clairejeanne 1,851
Cindy LaRosa 1,824
Ronald Boyt 1,675
Iggy 1,629
Noel Downs 1,620
Rick Heenan 1,582
Cal 1,574
Jack Swain 1,554
Pete Larsen 1,537
Ann Tygart 1,529
Tom Breshers 1,487
RogerS 1,461
Tom Franz 1,452
Chuck Crowe 1,441
Ralph Blight 1,440
Kenneth Cade 1,429
Rick Norton 1,428
bholt 1,411
Letha Allen 1,406
in2piano 1,404
Stan Simons 1,402
GocartMoz 1,387
mattbanx 1,384
Jen Shaner 1,373
Charlie Wong 1,347
KevinP 1,324
Vondelle 1,316
Tom W. 1,313
Jan Petter 1,301
scottandrew 1,292
DakLander 1,265
Ian Ferrin 1,230
PeteG 1,228
Glen King 1,212
IdeaGuy 1,209
AaronAuthier 1,177
Diane Ewing 1,158
Martin Lide 1,115
Gerry 1,090
summeoyo 1,085
joro 1,081
BobbyJoe 1,075
S.DEE 1,040
yann 1,037
lane1777 1,024
Tony A 1,016
argo 986
peaden 984
Wolvman 960
IronKnee 940
Jak Kelly 912
krtinberg 890
Drifter 886
Petra 883
RJC 845
Brenda152 840
Nadia 827
Juan 797
TKO 784
frahmes 781
Deej56 763
teletwang 762
9ne 762
90 dB 745
Andy K 739
tbryson 737
Andy Kemp 733
ant 732
Jackie444 731
3daveyO3 704
Dayson 703
Dixie 701
Joy Boy 695
Knute 686
Lee Arten 678
Katziis 652
Fdemetrio 651
R.T.MOORE 638
quality 637
CG King 622
douglas 621
Mel 614
NaomiSue 601
Pat Hardy 599
Irwin 593
Shandy 589
Ria 587
TAMERA64 583
qbaum 570
nitepiano 565
pRISCILLA 556
Tink2 553
Moosesong 548
musica 539
deanbell 528
RobertK 527
BonzaiWag 523
Roderic 522
BB Wilbur 511
goodfolks 499
Zeek 487
Stu 486
Steve P. 481
R&M 470
KathyW 462
allenb 459
MaxG 458
Philjo 454
fanito 448
trush48 448
dmk 442
arealrush 437
DGR 436
avweek 435
Stephen D 433
Emmy 431
Rob L 426
marquez 422
kit 419
Softkrome 417
kyrksongs 415
RRon 408
Laura G. 407
VNORTH 407
Debra 407
eb 406
cuebald 399
EdPerrone 399
Dannyk1 395
Hobart 395
Davyboy49 393
Smile 389
GJShades 387
Ezt 384
tone 380
Marla 380
Cecilee 379
iggyiggy 378
coalminer 377
java 374
spidey 371
sweetsong 370
danny 367
Jim Ryan 360
Alek 356
papaG 353
Z - man 350
John K 348
JamesDF5 347
Jaden 344
ddreuter 341
TheBaz 340
Steggy 339
leif 339
tonedeaf 336
rickwork 334
Eddie Ray 332
Johnboy 328
Bob Lever 328
Helicon1 327
lucian 326
Muskie 321
kc 319
Z. Mulls 318
ptondreau 313
ONOFFON 312
Chris B. 310
trush 304
ed323 297
Ellen M 293
lizzorn 291
nicnac49 290
pomeranj 289
Char 286
ktunes 285
markus-ky 284
Register Today!
Welcome to the Just Plain Folks forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a Guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and to other features.

By joining our free community you will have access to post and respond to topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#1133827 - 12/19/17 01:18 PM "How Are You?"  
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 8,065
Johnny Daubert Offline
Top 25 Poster
Johnny Daubert  Offline
Top 25 Poster

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 8,065
New Jersey, USA
"How Are You?":
https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13669399

Tracked in a broken-up day, (Time wise), and sung the next.

Tinnitus and having freaky Hyperacousis forces me to TRY to track correctly in the first take or two, then sing with the same needed focus, to later edit anything needed. (I have gotten good at editing)! haha!

The first line, "First flurries of the year", was from an actual moment a few years ago when outside and seeing JUST one flurry, way ahead of the first snow day in the Philly area. I was actually in Philly with Cindy, driving her to her insurance job field work she had to do that day. When we got home, I wrote this simply tune, based on that one snow flurry. I felt good when seeing it, so is why I went right into the hook, "Woke Up Feeling Fine". I didn't wake up to see the flurry, but I know many people do, seeing the first flurries out of their bedroom window. So,,,that's what I imagined when writing that hook line.

I played a real Hi Hat, to go with he keyboard, finger playing in real time, drums. (Yes I had sound blocking headphones on for that hi hat playing). Also played a Les Paul knockoff, (Epiphone Special II Model), for the two tacks of them, (L and R channels). A piano from my keys, and the bass from the keys. All in real time. NO loops or programs. I like to play as if playing the song all the way through, on the clicker. I edit later as needed. I will either push or pull the tune with drums here and there is I FEEL it works. Same for the bass. I will line up the bass note with the kick drum, if wanting a push or pull.

Thank you for any comments. If anyone wants demos done by how I can do them for ANY style music, have your head checked! Ha!


Actually a Member Since 1996 or 97 (Number One Hundred Something).
Songnado I and II:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=322686





#1133888 - 12/21/17 04:08 PM Re: "How Are You?" [Re: Johnny Daubert]  
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,695
Michael Zaneski Offline
Top 100 Poster
Michael Zaneski  Offline
Top 100 Poster

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,695
California
John,

I love your simple effective production here. This reminds me a little of The Beatles' "Good Morning" but just a little.

But this carves its own unique-ness with those Gothic sounding harmonies and the off-kilter sensation your title line engenders with it's odd time signature.

Beautiful work!

Mike

Last edited by Michael Zaneski; 12/21/17 04:09 PM.

Fate doesn't hang on a wrong or right choice
Fortune depends on the tone of your voice

-The Divine Comedy (Neil Hannon)
from the song "Songs of Love"
from the album "Casanova" (1996)
#1133904 - 12/22/17 10:21 AM Re: "How Are You?" [Re: Johnny Daubert]  
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 78
Maroon_Corey Offline
Serious Contributor
Maroon_Corey  Offline
Serious Contributor

Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 78
Richmond, VA
Wow, what a cool rock track! I love hearing these chords that you normally don't run across in rock, along with some nice vocal harmonies to set them off. I feel like I want a lead sheet to this tune just to play through it and take it in (and I feel too lazy to write it out myself). Cool instrumental and vocal break after the first verse and chorus - it felt right.

Like Mike, I definitely hear echoes of the Beatles. I'm reminded of stuff off of Abby Road and Sgt. Pepper like Mr. Mustard and Mr. Kite. If you could find regional bands (in the northern US?) that had the vocal and musical chops to pull it off, I think one would pick it up for rotation into their set.

My only suggestions would be to:

- Flesh out the lyrics to have less repetition in them,
- Be open to having the band alter lyrics, and
- Insert an area of the track that was clearly a space to add a guitar solo on top of.

I would imagine that the solo section could be at 1:37 and just have one chord per bar of D - F - G - D (you've got the first 3 already). Then repeat the 4-bar phrase a few times maybe, to give them the idea where they would place the solo.

Thanks for sharing!

#1133909 - 12/22/17 11:40 AM Re: "How Are You?" [Re: Michael Zaneski]  
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 8,065
Johnny Daubert Offline
Top 25 Poster
Johnny Daubert  Offline
Top 25 Poster

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 8,065
New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted by Michael Zaneski
John,

I love your simple effective production here. This reminds me a little of The Beatles' "Good Morning" but just a little.

But this carves its own unique-ness with those Gothic sounding harmonies and the off-kilter sensation your title line engenders with it's odd time signature.

Beautiful work!

Mike

Wow, thank you Mike! As to that change of time signature section, I was on my upright just hammering out that "Woke up feeling fine" hook, and for some reason, I either was excited when singing along to it that I hit an extra down beat, or however it happened. So, I then tried to do again, which had me hit it three times instead two, (an extra one). So again, I thought, hmmmm, why not do them ALL. A 1,,,then 2 downbeats, then 3? I just about ran upstairs to begin tracking the piano, and focused on doing just that for that section. I had to do a take two, for I hit the 3 downbeats after the first. HA! It wasn't first planned at all to try to be clever. It was a mistake on my upright that caught my attention.

For the harmonies, since I have a very low to falsetto ability, I just kept adding on to it all. I don't like my voice alone, so that's another reason I like to add on to my lead vocal.

Thank you for your comment on my work. I have been trying to get better and better, mostly since after a year not playing or listening to anything, (tinnitus). I thought, well, I can do recordings, and maybe do demos with Sub, (Mike Caro). I then got into his studio for some things. YOur praise is mainly because I focus on all the tasks to always improve. The BLUE COLLAR method. Now, it seems easier than ever. Thank you.


Actually a Member Since 1996 or 97 (Number One Hundred Something).
Songnado I and II:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=322686





#1133911 - 12/22/17 11:55 AM Re: "How Are You?" [Re: Maroon_Corey]  
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 8,065
Johnny Daubert Offline
Top 25 Poster
Johnny Daubert  Offline
Top 25 Poster

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 8,065
New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted by Maroon_Corey
Wow, what a cool rock track! I love hearing these chords that you normally don't run across in rock, along with some nice vocal harmonies to set them off. I feel like I want a lead sheet to this tune just to play through it and take it in (and I feel too lazy to write it out myself). Cool instrumental and vocal break after the first verse and chorus - it felt right.

Like Mike, I definitely hear echoes of the Beatles. I'm reminded of stuff off of Abby Road and Sgt. Pepper like Mr. Mustard and Mr. Kite. If you could find regional bands (in the northern US?) that had the vocal and musical chops to pull it off, I think one would pick it up for rotation into their set.

My only suggestions would be to:

- Flesh out the lyrics to have less repetition in them,
- Be open to having the band alter lyrics, and
- Insert an area of the track that was clearly a space to add a guitar solo on top of.

I would imagine that the solo section could be at 1:37 and just have one chord per bar of D - F - G - D (you've got the first 3 already). Then repeat the 4-bar phrase a few times maybe, to give them the idea where they would place the solo.

Thanks for sharing!


Thank yo so much for your comments and thoughtful advice! Really good ones too. I tried to do the original band thing form 2008- early 2011. When folks don't know the songs when they are out at bars and such, they mostly keep talking. Not singing along. But I will keep the band thing in mind as for what you said, another band in that style. I would give the band full freedom to do as they want with it. If I wouldn't like it all, I would just ask not to mention my name for credit! Ha! If so, I would want my name in banners being paraded around the place!!! Ha!

Here are the chords, (which are the same for all like sections), in case you want to play along, as you mentioned: (Thank you)!

Verse:

G Gb Inverted Bb Gm GbDim-6 Gm C G
First flurries of the year, woke up feeling fine. Woke up feeling fine


Actually a Member Since 1996 or 97 (Number One Hundred Something).
Songnado I and II:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=322686





#1133912 - 12/22/17 12:03 PM Re: "How Are You?" [Re: Johnny Daubert]  
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,829
Dave Rice Online content
Top 30 Poster
Dave Rice  Online Content
Top 30 Poster

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,829
Texas
Hi Johnny:

I really enjoyed my listen. It sounded a bit "retro" to my ears... and that is a good thing. Not the same old boring stuff we seem to get these days on such a broad front. Editing is truly a marvelous tool when done right... and you did well. Send more soon... and Merry Christmas to you and yours. ----Dave

#1133940 - 12/22/17 08:19 PM Re: "How Are You?" [Re: Johnny Daubert]  
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 8,065
Johnny Daubert Offline
Top 25 Poster
Johnny Daubert  Offline
Top 25 Poster

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 8,065
New Jersey, USA
Merry Christmas, Dave! Thank you for your time and comments. Seems I would be nothing if not being retro, right?! I am only creative in some aspects. A Rich Little in music! ha!


Actually a Member Since 1996 or 97 (Number One Hundred Something).
Songnado I and II:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=322686





#1133945 - 12/23/17 11:08 AM Re: "How Are You?" [Re: Johnny Daubert]  
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,878
maccharles Offline
Top 200 Poster
maccharles  Offline
Top 200 Poster

Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,878
this is cracking'....I hear the beatles in there too, awesome little gem!

#1133958 - 12/23/17 03:39 PM Re: "How Are You?" [Re: Johnny Daubert]  
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 8,065
Johnny Daubert Offline
Top 25 Poster
Johnny Daubert  Offline
Top 25 Poster

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 8,065
New Jersey, USA
Thank you Mac

I first thought you meant by "cracking", that is was distorting sounding! Ha! With having tinnitus, I of course could have any high pitch error sounds be masked by the very loud sounds always in my ears. So, I first thought, "Oh damn"! But when you said you hear The Beatles in there "TOO", that eased my concern over the audio. You DO mean, good, with saying "cracking", right?! Hope so!

Thank you for thinking this is any kind of a gem. Rewarding. Validation, etc Thanks!


Actually a Member Since 1996 or 97 (Number One Hundred Something).
Songnado I and II:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=322686





#1134347 - 01/03/18 11:47 AM Re: "How Are You?" [Re: Johnny Daubert]  
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 78
Maroon_Corey Offline
Serious Contributor
Maroon_Corey  Offline
Serious Contributor

Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 78
Richmond, VA
Originally Posted by Johnny Daubert


Thank yo so much for your comments and thoughtful advice! Really good ones too. I tried to do the original band thing form 2008- early 2011. When folks don't know the songs when they are out at bars and such, they mostly keep talking. Not singing along. But I will keep the band thing in mind as for what you said, another band in that style. I would give the band full freedom to do as they want with it. If I wouldn't like it all, I would just ask not to mention my name for credit! Ha! If so, I would want my name in banners being paraded around the place!!! Ha!

Here are the chords, (which are the same for all like sections), in case you want to play along, as you mentioned: (Thank you)!

Verse:

G Gb Inverted Bb Gm GbDim-6 Gm C G
First flurries of the year, woke up feeling fine. Woke up feeling fine


Very welcome, Johnny! I hear you about the band thing. It sounds like you have the right kind of flexible mindset to allow somebody to take your song and run with it. I appreciate the chords!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but on the section that begins with "You may have another story...", I'm hearing:

A G Gb D F

That Gb chord is very intersting! To me, it sounds like it suggests an upcoming b minor chord. Totally fine that no b minor is played, though. When it goes straight from the Gb chord (or better yet, call it an F# chord) to the D chord in the section I outlined, it even evokes memories of the 50s and a resurgence of use of that progression in the 90s by groups like Weezer and Radiohead. In music theory terms, it functions as a V of iii and then later as a V of vi.

Bottom line is that I like its use!

#1134358 - 01/03/18 04:14 PM Re: "How Are You?" [Re: Johnny Daubert]  
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 481
TC Perkins Offline
Top 500 Poster
TC Perkins  Offline
Top 500 Poster

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 481
Virginia
Originally Posted by Johnny Daubert
"How Are You?":
https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13669399

Tracked in a broken-up day, (Time wise), and sung the next.

Tinnitus and having freaky Hyperacousis forces me to TRY to track correctly in the first take or two, then sing with the same needed focus, to later edit anything needed. (I have gotten good at editing)! haha!

The first line, "First flurries of the year", was from an actual moment a few years ago when outside and seeing JUST one flurry, way ahead of the first snow day in the Philly area. I was actually in Philly with Cindy, driving her to her insurance job field work she had to do that day. When we got home, I wrote this simply tune, based on that one snow flurry. I felt good when seeing it, so is why I went right into the hook, "Woke Up Feeling Fine". I didn't wake up to see the flurry, but I know many people do, seeing the first flurries out of their bedroom window. So,,,that's what I imagined when writing that hook line.

I played a real Hi Hat, to go with he keyboard, finger playing in real time, drums. (Yes I had sound blocking headphones on for that hi hat playing). Also played a Les Paul knockoff, (Epiphone Special II Model), for the two tacks of them, (L and R channels). A piano from my keys, and the bass from the keys. All in real time. NO loops or programs. I like to play as if playing the song all the way through, on the clicker. I edit later as needed. I will either push or pull the tune with drums here and there is I FEEL it works. Same for the bass. I will line up the bass note with the kick drum, if wanting a push or pull.

Thank you for any comments. If anyone wants demos done by how I can do them for ANY style music, have your head checked! Ha!


Cool rocker with a retro vibe and a dash of Beatles thrown in for good measure.

I liked the song and the production was good except I was not a fan of that super-thin sounding snare drum. The changeup in the intro grabbed my attention when the song really kicked in; nicely done.

I approach my songs like you do. I always play them all the way through on every instrument, and rarely cut and paste anything. I feel like this linear approach keeps the song evolving even if it is just nuances. I leave little mistakes in there, too, because there is such a thing as 'too perfect.' However, I never use a click track except for self rehearsal. I feel like a straight click track sucks the life out of songs a lot of the time. After I get the main progression and the basic arrangement down, I do my drums next to outline the song and then play to them (instead of a click). I can always edit or even redo the drums later but having a percussion track with the feel of the song helps me swing the timing the way I want.

Overall, great job!

Peace,
TC


If it has strings I will find a way to play it!

You can hear my tunes at https://soundcloud.com/tc-gypsy
#1134363 - 01/03/18 05:20 PM Re: "How Are You?" [Re: Maroon_Corey]  
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 8,065
Johnny Daubert Offline
Top 25 Poster
Johnny Daubert  Offline
Top 25 Poster

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 8,065
New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted by Maroon_Corey


Very welcome, Johnny! I hear you about the band thing. It sounds like you have the right kind of flexible mindset to allow somebody to take your song and run with it. I appreciate the chords!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but on the section that begins with "You may have another story...", I'm hearing:

A G Gb D F

That Gb chord is very interesting! To me, it sounds like it suggests an upcoming b minor chord. Totally fine that no b minor is played, though. When it goes straight from the Gb chord (or better yet, call it an F# chord) to the D chord in the section I outlined, it even evokes memories of the 50s and a resurgence of use of that progression in the 90s by groups like Weezer and Radiohead. In music theory terms, it functions as a V of iii and then later as a V of vi.

Bottom line is that I like its use!


Oh man, I neglected to insert those last chords! The Chorus! ha! Sorry. Thank YOU for posting them. Yeah, My hands simply went to that F# Has an Augmentive in there too for one quarter note, (if in 4/4).

Thank you!


Actually a Member Since 1996 or 97 (Number One Hundred Something).
Songnado I and II:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=322686





#1134365 - 01/03/18 05:24 PM Re: "How Are You?" [Re: TC Perkins]  
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 8,065
Johnny Daubert Offline
Top 25 Poster
Johnny Daubert  Offline
Top 25 Poster

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 8,065
New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted by TC Perkins


Cool rocker with a retro vibe and a dash of Beatles thrown in for good measure.

I liked the song and the production was good except I was not a fan of that super-thin sounding snare drum. The changeup in the intro grabbed my attention when the song really kicked in; nicely done.

I approach my songs like you do. I always play them all the way through on every instrument, and rarely cut and paste anything. I feel like this linear approach keeps the song evolving even if it is just nuances. I leave little mistakes in there, too, because there is such a thing as 'too perfect.' However, I never use a click track except for self rehearsal. I feel like a straight click track sucks the life out of songs a lot of the time. After I get the main progression and the basic arrangement down, I do my drums next to outline the song and then play to them (instead of a click). I can always edit or even redo the drums later but having a percussion track with the feel of the song helps me swing the timing the way I want.

Overall, great job!

Peace,
TC


My ears hear even MORE tin in everything! Ha! I appreciate all your comments. Very cool how you track like The Beatles did, with RINGO being the time keeper! Makes for tough times though ONLY IF needing to edit and line things up for any reason of doing technical editing. BUT, sure, I can appreciate your method! Very cool! Thank you for your comments!


Actually a Member Since 1996 or 97 (Number One Hundred Something).
Songnado I and II:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=322686





#1134369 - 01/03/18 06:05 PM Re: "How Are You?" [Re: Johnny Daubert]  
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 78
Maroon_Corey Offline
Serious Contributor
Maroon_Corey  Offline
Serious Contributor

Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 78
Richmond, VA
Originally Posted by Johnny Daubert
Originally Posted by Maroon_Corey


Very welcome, Johnny! I hear you about the band thing. It sounds like you have the right kind of flexible mindset to allow somebody to take your song and run with it. I appreciate the chords!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but on the section that begins with "You may have another story...", I'm hearing:

A G Gb D F

That Gb chord is very interesting! To me, it sounds like it suggests an upcoming b minor chord. Totally fine that no b minor is played, though. When it goes straight from the Gb chord (or better yet, call it an F# chord) to the D chord in the section I outlined, it even evokes memories of the 50s and a resurgence of use of that progression in the 90s by groups like Weezer and Radiohead. In music theory terms, it functions as a V of iii and then later as a V of vi.

Bottom line is that I like its use!


Oh man, I neglected to insert those last chords! The Chorus! ha! Sorry. Thank YOU for posting them. Yeah, My hands simply went to that F# Has an Augmentive in there too for one quarter note, (if in 4/4).

Thank you!




You bet, it was fun to play!

#1134394 - 01/04/18 12:37 PM Re: "How Are You?" [Re: Maroon_Corey]  
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 8,065
Johnny Daubert Offline
Top 25 Poster
Johnny Daubert  Offline
Top 25 Poster

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 8,065
New Jersey, USA
Marron-Corey and others: I also neglected to include some important chords played in the Chorus starting in A: A G (F#Aug-F#-F3Dim-F#) D F6 G.

Sorry about that. Thanks again!
John


Actually a Member Since 1996 or 97 (Number One Hundred Something).
Songnado I and II:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=322686






Support Just Plain Folks

We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.


Membership
Join Just Plain Folks
to receive the free
JPNotes Newsletter!
*this is separate from
message board registration*

Newest Members
JC_Forsyth, ryan_bryan, leerousi, handyrubbish, KevinCameron
21109 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums116
Topics118,355
Posts1,115,801
Members21,105
Average Posts Daily24
Most Online1,506
Mar 16th, 2017
Just Plain Quotes
"You really shouldn't listen too much to your positive press or your negative press. Both are probably inaccurate. But if you find you must heed the opinions of others, why not choose the 80% who love you?" -Brian Austin Whitney
Today's Birthdays
jarrydee (44)
Popular Topics(Views)
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0