Who's Online Now
15 registered members (Fdemetrio, Everett Adams, Gavin Sinclair, maccharles, Dave Rice, couchgrouch, Deej56, Mackie H., 4 invisible), and 198 guests, and
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Member Spotlight
Chris Erhardt
Chris Erhardt
NYC/L.A.
Posts: 248
Joined: November 2014
Show All Member Profiles 
What's Going On
Not really a Blog, but something I'm doing
by Everett Adams. 02/20/20 10:04 AM
Need some volunteers, no heavy lifting involved...
by Fdemetrio. 02/20/20 09:50 AM
::: Lucky Guy (Uke) :::
by JaneK. 02/19/20 12:56 PM
Sometimes (You Gotta Go Home)
by JaneK. 02/19/20 12:47 PM
Practical Guidelines For Guitaring: Standing
by Marc Barnette. 02/19/20 12:34 PM
Old Navy Footlocker
by couchgrouch. 02/19/20 10:17 AM
Looking for musicians who need lyrics
by Brian Austin Whitney. 02/19/20 07:02 AM
Synchronization Licensing
by Gary E. Andrews. 02/19/20 12:19 AM
$ynchronization Licen$ing.
by Gary E. Andrews. 02/18/20 11:25 PM
Crimson Red
by Deej56. 02/18/20 11:13 PM
Stop Wasting Your Time (Have A Good TIme)
by Deej56. 02/18/20 11:03 PM
DRINK WITH ME. DEEJ & Travis. ( updated)
by Deej56. 02/18/20 11:01 PM
Does this seem legit?
by Marc Barnette. 02/18/20 03:38 PM
CAGED for Guitar
by Kevin Emmrich. 02/18/20 01:51 PM
Any Friend Of Jesus
by Vicarn. 02/18/20 07:35 AM
David Olney RIP
by Brian Austin Whitney. 02/18/20 03:19 AM
New Add to Playlist
by Brian Austin Whitney. 02/17/20 09:35 PM
Child Of Nova - Instrumental
by GocartMoz. 02/17/20 10:29 AM
Somewhere South of Nowhere. Vic
by Vicarn. 02/17/20 09:41 AM
The Same Sun Shines On Us All
by Gavin Sinclair. 02/16/20 10:00 PM
low tide
by John Paragreen. 02/16/20 07:44 PM
A Master Of Reason And Rhyme
by Mackie H.. 02/16/20 12:24 PM
What will be will be
by ckiphen. 02/16/20 11:32 AM
Fiver anyone?
by Dave Rice. 02/15/20 01:55 PM
Darker side of me
by ckiphen. 02/15/20 01:05 PM
The Millionaires club
by ckiphen. 02/15/20 12:59 PM
Without You
by Gerry. 02/15/20 09:35 AM
URGENT! Our Site is being shut down on JAN 31st!
by ben willis. 02/14/20 05:32 PM
Time for me
by ckiphen. 02/14/20 04:40 PM
Top Posters(All Time)
Calvin 19,815
Travis david 11,726
Kevin Emmrich 10,590
Jean Bullock 10,330
Kaley Willow 10,240
Two Singers 9,600
Joice Marie 9,186
Mackie H. 8,845
glynda 8,659
Mike Dunbar 8,574
Tricia Baker 8,318
Colin Ward 7,908
couchgrouch 7,672
Dave Rice 7,524
Corey 7,357
Wyman Lloyd 6,578
Mark Kaufman 6,568
Vicarn 6,292
ben willis 6,107
Lynn Orloff 5,788
Louis 5,725
Linda Sings 5,608
niteshift 5,591
KimberlyinNC 5,210
Neil Cotton 4,909
Derek Hines 4,893
DonnaMarilyn 4,653
Blake Hill 4,528
Bob Cushing 4,372
Bill Osofsky 4,199
Roy Cooper 4,189
Tom Shea 4,179
Cindy Miller 4,178
nightengale 4,092
TamsNumber4 4,075
MFB III 3,902
Caroline 3,865
Kolstad 3,814
Dan Sullivan 3,710
beechnut79 3,561
E Swartz 3,447
Dottie 3,427
joewatt 3,411
Bill Cooper 3,279
John Hoffman 3,199
Skip Johnson 3,027
Pam Hurley 3,007
Terry G 3,005
PopTodd 2,890
Harriet Ames 2,870
Nigel Quin 2,812
MidniteBob 2,707
Nelson 2,603
Tom Tracy 2,558
Polly Hager 2,526
Jerry Jakala 2,524
Al Alvarez 2,499
Eric Thome 2,448
Hummingbird 2,401
Stan Loh 2,263
Sam Wilson 2,242
Judy Hollier 2,232
Wendy D 2,219
Erica Ellis 2,202
TrumanCoyote 2,096
Marty Helly 2,022
DukeWill 1,988
maccharles 1,984
floyd jane 1,982
Clint Anglin 1,904
cindyrella 1,888
David Wright 1,866
Clairejeanne 1,851
Cindy LaRosa 1,824
Fdemetrio 1,779
Ronald Boyt 1,675
Martin Lide 1,651
Iggy 1,650
Noel Downs 1,620
Rick Heenan 1,603
Cal 1,574
Jack Swain 1,554
Pete Larsen 1,537
Ann Tygart 1,529
Tom Breshers 1,487
RogerS 1,462
GocartMoz 1,462
Tom Franz 1,455
Chuck Crowe 1,441
Ralph Blight 1,440
Kenneth Cade 1,429
Rick Norton 1,428
bholt 1,411
Letha Allen 1,408
in2piano 1,404
Stan Simons 1,402
mattbanx 1,384
Jen Shaner 1,373
Charlie Wong 1,347
KevinP 1,324
Vondelle 1,316
Tom W. 1,313
Jan Petter 1,301
scottandrew 1,292
DakLander 1,265
PeteG 1,242
Ian Ferrin 1,230
Glen King 1,214
IdeaGuy 1,209
AaronAuthier 1,177
Deej56 1,163
Diane Ewing 1,158
Gerry 1,148
lane1777 1,145
summeoyo 1,126
joro 1,082
BobbyJoe 1,075
S.DEE 1,040
yann 1,037
Tony A 1,016
argo 986
peaden 984
Wolvman 960
IronKnee 947
Jak Kelly 912
90 dB 892
krtinberg 890
9ne 889
Drifter 886
Petra 883
RJC 845
Brenda152 840
Nadia 829
Juan 797
TKO 784
frahmes 781
Dayson 774
teletwang 762
Andy K 744
tbryson 737
Andy Kemp 733
ant 732
Jackie444 731
3daveyO3 704
Dixie 701
Joy Boy 695
Knute 686
Lee Arten 678
Katziis 652
R.T.MOORE 638
quality 637
Irwin 634
Pat Hardy 625
CG King 622
douglas 621
Mel 614
Moosesong 609
NaomiSue 601
Shandy 589
Ria 587
TAMERA64 583
qbaum 570
nitepiano 566
JAPOV 562
pRISCILLA 556
Tink2 553
musica 539
deanbell 528
RobertK 527
BonzaiWag 523
Roderic 522
BB Wilbur 511
goodfolks 499
R&M 496
Zeek 487
Stu 486
Steve P. 481
KathyW 462
allenb 459
MaxG 458
Philjo 454
fanito 448
trush48 448
dmk 442
arealrush 437
DGR 436
avweek 435
Stephen D 433
Emmy 431
Rob L 426
marquez 422
kit 419
Softkrome 417
kyrksongs 415
RRon 408
Laura G. 407
VNORTH 407
Debra 407
eb 406
cuebald 399
EdPerrone 399
Dannyk1 395
Hobart 395
Davyboy49 393
Smile 389
GJShades 387
Ezt 384
tone 380
Marla 380
Cecilee 379
iggyiggy 378
coalminer 377
java 374
spidey 371
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#1021103 - 08/26/13 12:32 PM The Marfa Plain  
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,651
Martin Lide Offline
Top 200 Poster
Martin Lide  Offline
Top 200 Poster

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,651
Houston, Texas
This is a song about broken romance and the high desert of the Texas mountain country. Any comments and criticisms are welcome.
It's guitar/vocal only and recorded on my home computer.


http://www.reverbnation.com/skunkofhoustontexas?profile_view_source=header_icon_nav


The Marfa Plain by Martin James Lide

Friday, August 16, 2013
2:32 PM

V1
Looking out across the desert, I gaze on distant hills
The emptiness is a metaphor for the loneliness I feel
As lonely as it seems…it brings me some relief
From all our endless fights, from all our endless grief.

Pre Chorus
We always loved each other
I guess we tried our best
We always had the passion
But we couldn't do the rest
The rest holds lives together
when time puts them to the test.

C
So I rode out on the Marfa Plain
My T-shirt's drenched in desert rain
Chinati winds cool down my skin
I'm finally feeling whole again.

The sun sets low in a Texas sky
Cut by mountains like buttered knives
Smearing reds and yellows on fading blues
like emotions 'tween me and you.

Return
So I came out here again
To feel the healing wind…on the Marfa plain.

V2
I brought along the pictures of our time in Telluride
Hiking colored canyons up gorgeous mountain sides.
I think how of I loved you then, now I wonder what that's worth.
All the endless fights ruined the prettiest town on earth

Pre chorus
Chorus
Return
Solo

Br
I'll always wish you well, but I'll say my last farewell
From the Marfa Plain.

Chorus
Return
Return

So I came out here again.

Last edited by Martin James; 08/26/13 12:40 PM.
#1021117 - 08/26/13 01:47 PM Re: The Marfa Plain [Re: Martin Lide]  
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,199
Bill Osofsky Offline
Top 100 Poster
Bill Osofsky  Offline
Top 100 Poster

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,199
Utah
Well, damn,if it ain't ole Marty. How ya doing? Nice tune, bro

Bill


#1021118 - 08/26/13 01:52 PM Re: The Marfa Plain [Re: Bill Osofsky]  
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 565
Steve Altonian Offline
Top 500 Poster
Steve Altonian  Offline
Top 500 Poster

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 565
Los Angeles, California
Marty...

Nice listen...CHORUS has a really cool Melody...Maybe a shorter Pre-Chorus is my first reaction....

I thought the TITLE was "THE MAFIA PLAN"


Steve Altonian---"I'll just do my best & let God do the rest"

http://www.stevealtonian.com
#1021128 - 08/26/13 02:51 PM Re: The Marfa Plain [Re: Bill Osofsky]  
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,651
Martin Lide Offline
Top 200 Poster
Martin Lide  Offline
Top 200 Poster

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,651
Houston, Texas
Originally Posted by Bill Osofsky
Well, damn,if it ain't ole Marty. How ya doing? Nice tune, bro

Bill


Doing fine Bill. How about you?

#1021129 - 08/26/13 02:56 PM Re: The Marfa Plain [Re: Steve Altonian]  
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,651
Martin Lide Offline
Top 200 Poster
Martin Lide  Offline
Top 200 Poster

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,651
Houston, Texas
Originally Posted by Steve Altonian
Marty...

Nice listen...CHORUS has a really cool Melody...Maybe a shorter Pre-Chorus is my first reaction....

I thought the TITLE was "THE MAFIA PLAN"


You're right Steve. It takes too long to get to the chorus and the flow over of the verse and pre c is choppy and a little monotonous. I like the pre c better than the verse. I may try to shorten the verse somehow or change the pre c into the verse.
I might eliminate the intro altogether and go straight into the verse. Thanks for the feedback.

Marfa is a town in far West Texas on a 4500 ft (plus or minus) plain called the Marfa plain. They have the semi-famous Marfa lights there and an artist community centered around the Chinati Foundation. Neat place.

Last edited by Martin James; 08/26/13 03:03 PM.
#1021152 - 08/26/13 05:00 PM Re: The Marfa Plain [Re: Martin Lide]  
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,982
floyd jane Offline
Top 200 Poster
floyd jane  Offline
Top 200 Poster

Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,982
Tampa
Marty,

Really enjoyed this. Super song. Well written. Well played. Well sung. The G/V format is very effective (nicely recorded).
A nice Jimmy Webb vibe to the melody.

floyd

#1021163 - 08/26/13 06:03 PM Re: The Marfa Plain [Re: floyd jane]  
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,651
Martin Lide Offline
Top 200 Poster
Martin Lide  Offline
Top 200 Poster

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,651
Houston, Texas
Originally Posted by floyd jane
Marty,

Really enjoyed this. Super song. Well written. Well played. Well sung. The G/V format is very effective (nicely recorded).
A nice Jimmy Webb vibe to the melody.

floyd


Thank you for listening Floyd. I appreciate your feedback.

Martin

#1021191 - 08/26/13 09:41 PM Re: The Marfa Plain [Re: Martin Lide]  
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,447
E Swartz Offline
Top 100 Poster
E Swartz  Offline
Top 100 Poster

Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,447
Ohio
Martin,

Yo-mon! I absolutely love your PC and it's transition from verse to chorus--the "slow build I feel enhances your chorus launch. Your bridge gives the song a nice break from the longer PC/C. More than not, I usually prefer a shorter PC, but I like this one as is--JMO. No question you see many songs where the PC is too long or doesn' flow and launch correctly--I do not think you have that problem at all.

Your melody is captifying with a unique expressive story. I'd like hearing very little percussion with this song and some subtle background strings starting in the PC.

Great write Martin! Lot's of potential here. Nice singing by the way!

steady-eddie.

#1021194 - 08/26/13 10:08 PM Re: The Marfa Plain [Re: E Swartz]  
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,651
Martin Lide Offline
Top 200 Poster
Martin Lide  Offline
Top 200 Poster

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,651
Houston, Texas
Originally Posted by E Swartz
Martin,

Yo-mon! I absolutely love your PC and it's transition from verse to chorus--the "slow build I feel enhances your chorus launch. Your bridge gives the song a nice break from the longer PC/C. More than not, I usually prefer a shorter PC, but I like this one as is--JMO. No question you see many songs where the PC is too long or doesn' flow and launch correctly--I do not think you have that problem at all.

Your melody is captifying with a unique expressive story. I'd like hearing very little percussion with this song and some subtle background strings starting in the PC.

Great write Martin! Lot's of potential here. Nice singing by the way!

steady-eddie.


Thanks Eddie. I like the PC too. To my sensibilities, your use of the word "launch" is exactly correct. I have tried using the pc as a bridge and moving it back in the song...but then...the transition between the verse and the chorus is not nearly as compelling to my ear. I'm trying to figure out a way to cut the verse in half and still set the scene and theme...leading into the pc.

Regarding production...When I get this tightened up, I'll prolly go to a studio. When that happens, I'll include the other instruments that you mentioned.

Thanks for your thoughts and for stopping by Eddie.

Last edited by Martin James; 08/26/13 10:11 PM.
#1021207 - 08/27/13 12:48 AM Re: The Marfa Plain [Re: Martin Lide]  
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 605
Bobby Wayne Offline
Top 500 Poster
Bobby Wayne  Offline
Top 500 Poster

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 605
First and foremost the writing really stands out in this song and tells the story uniquely and beautifully. Your vocal is also absolutely spot-on. I agree with Eddie that the pre-chorus provides a perfect lead-in for the chorus, which is outstanding. I love everything about this song. It's awesome. The guitar solo was also very captivating. You're very good.

#1021210 - 08/27/13 01:01 AM Re: The Marfa Plain [Re: Martin Lide]  
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,447
E Swartz Offline
Top 100 Poster
E Swartz  Offline
Top 100 Poster

Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,447
Ohio
Martin,

I went back for another listen to see where time could be gained. I would shorten your intro at the beginning and save about 8-seconds. Intros feel comfortable especially for the performing artists performing live to get "into the song's mood." With longer songs, sometimes that may need to be sacrificed, unless performing live. I would reduce pauses after verses and save about 4 sec each. Keep your longer pause only after the "return." I would shorten the ending--I know you are looking to be dramatic there, and you can, even if getting rid of the one chorus repeat. Remember, this longer PC/chorus has already been heard twice, so on the 3rd time just pause on the last line the first time through. I think that would be less predictable anyway. Another alternative last chorus ending, would be to begin slowly fading it half way through.

One other experiment I would "try," (not that it is needed for effect) is to speed the song tempo up 1 or 2 bpm which would still keep it slow, but maybe save another few seconds. If you feel you can keep the intimate emotions by doing it slightly faster, then you haven't lost anything, yet gained some time. You should come close to cutting 30-45 sec off by these sugs.

No question, you could consolidate lyrics within the verses to shorten the song, but they flow and set the PC/CH up well. My only fear is if you do surgery on the verses it may become too much of a "chorus driven" song, which I like the "balance" with this solid ballad that you have now.

Some songs are meant to be longer--your song works IMO, because of the flowing and changing arrangements that you have--I didn't get impatient for this song to end. Some songs that are 3 1/2 minutes long I have trouble keeping interest! I didn't even realize your song was on the long side when I listened the first time.

I'm not a professional producer, so these are just my gut-feels about your song, and believe me, if I don't like something, I'll tell you that as well and why.

Good luck!

steady-eddie.

#1021240 - 08/27/13 10:20 AM Re: The Marfa Plain [Re: Bobby Wayne]  
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,651
Martin Lide Offline
Top 200 Poster
Martin Lide  Offline
Top 200 Poster

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,651
Houston, Texas
Originally Posted by Bobby Wayne
First and foremost the writing really stands out in this song and tells the story uniquely and beautifully. Your vocal is also absolutely spot-on. I agree with Eddie that the pre-chorus provides a perfect lead-in for the chorus, which is outstanding. I love everything about this song. It's awesome. The guitar solo was also very captivating. You're very good.


Thanks Bobby. You made a guy with a songwriting addiction feel very good.

Martin

#1021241 - 08/27/13 10:33 AM Re: The Marfa Plain [Re: E Swartz]  
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,651
Martin Lide Offline
Top 200 Poster
Martin Lide  Offline
Top 200 Poster

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,651
Houston, Texas
Originally Posted by E Swartz
Martin,

I went back for another listen to see where time could be gained. I would shorten your intro at the beginning and save about 8-seconds. Intros feel comfortable especially for the performing artists performing live to get "into the song's mood." With longer songs, sometimes that may need to be sacrificed, unless performing live. I would reduce pauses after verses and save about 4 sec each. Keep your longer pause only after the "return." I would shorten the ending--I know you are looking to be dramatic there, and you can, even if getting rid of the one chorus repeat. Remember, this longer PC/chorus has already been heard twice, so on the 3rd time just pause on the last line the first time through. I think that would be less predictable anyway. Another alternative last chorus ending, would be to begin slowly fading it half way through.

One other experiment I would "try," (not that it is needed for effect) is to speed the song tempo up 1 or 2 bpm which would still keep it slow, but maybe save another few seconds. If you feel you can keep the intimate emotions by doing it slightly faster, then you haven't lost anything, yet gained some time. You should come close to cutting 30-45 sec off by these sugs.

No question, you could consolidate lyrics within the verses to shorten the song, but they flow and set the PC/CH up well. My only fear is if you do surgery on the verses it may become too much of a "chorus driven" song, which I like the "balance" with this solid ballad that you have now.

Some songs are meant to be longer--your song works IMO, because of the flowing and changing arrangements that you have--I didn't get impatient for this song to end. Some songs that are 3 1/2 minutes long I have trouble keeping interest! I didn't even realize your song was on the long side when I listened the first time.

I'm not a professional producer, so these are just my gut-feels about your song, and believe me, if I don't like something, I'll tell you that as well and why.

Good luck!

steady-eddie.


First of all...Thank you for your time and consideration Eddie.

I agree with most if not all of your comments. I'm gonna drop the intro altogether and softly strum the #1 for 2 bars and then start singing. I have some pregnant pauses for sure. 3rd chorus (except when live) can be dropped.

When I started recording the song I set it to 70 bpm. I played that back and it seemed to drag so I recorded a v-pc-c at 72. That worked pretty well. I then tried 74 and found myself rushing in a few spots. 72 seems optimal. I considered the idea of a variable bpm...with a slight increase in the chorus...but that exceeds my ability with the software...at this time.

I feel like the song's vocal melody needs some smoothing out in the verses. I'm probably gonna re-write the verses and bring the story to the beginning of the pc a little differently and more poignantly . Ultimately, additional instruments in the pauses and around the lyric should help blend the song together.

Your comments are all good, understandable and practical.

Thank you.

Martin

Last edited by Martin James; 08/27/13 10:46 AM.
#1021799 - 08/30/13 05:58 PM Re: The Marfa Plain [Re: Martin Lide]  
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,651
Martin Lide Offline
Top 200 Poster
Martin Lide  Offline
Top 200 Poster

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,651
Houston, Texas
Thanks to everyone who commented on this song for their comments.

I got back my NSAI evaluation today. I like NSAI evaluations and put a lot of credibility in them. The suggestions were to reduce the number of lines in both the verses and the choruses and increase the impact of the bridge.

I like the song well enough to put the time in on it to see where that goes. At the end of trying, if I don't like it...it provides another version of one my obscure songs. :-)

Will post up the revision... if I ever finish it. :-)

Thanks again,
Martin



Support Just Plain Folks

We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.


Membership
Join Just Plain Folks
to receive the free
JPNotes Newsletter!
*this is separate from
message board registration*

Newest Members
flowerdesignwi, mrjack7857, ChiTownTaurus, RANDY_CLARK, ellekene
21259 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums116
Topics119,834
Posts1,129,274
Members21,259
Average Posts Daily30
Most Online37,523
Jan 25th, 2020
Just Plain Quotes
"Quality = Longevity." –Brian Austin Whitney
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Popular Topics(Views)
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0