Hi Cindy,

I've been writing songs for over forty years. I've had dozens of cuts and made hundreds of dollars. Big Jim, Kathy, Marc and Sausage are all correct. There's not a lot of money in it. The best ways are to write advertising, get songs licensed for different applications (tv or movies), or sing them yourself and make money for your shows and selling your cds. I've had two cuts by fairly well known independant artists, one in the Christian market and one in the Blues market, and made less than a hundred bucks combined. The most I made was when a band I was once with played three of my cowritten songs on a popular cooking tv show, then I made hundreds of dollars. The money is spent, the songs live on. LOL.

As Marc said, don't concentrate on the money, that will drive you nuts. Just concentrate on writing and improving. And REALLY concentrate on having fun.

Mike

You've got to know your limitations. I don't know what your limitations are. I found out what mine were when I was twelve. I found out that there weren't too many limitations, if I did it my way. -Johnny Cash

It's only music.
-niteshift

Mike Dunbar Music