Originally Posted by Mike Caro Substudio

Recording IS a huge never ending pit of money and of TIME...

It never ever stops and can be a big distraction from both writing and career time. All depends on you.

Naomi, that's the truest thing you'll ever read here. I'm just finishing my "pro-ish" home studio and I'll post some pics on here when it's done to show what lies at the end of the river when you embark on making music seriously.

I think you're right going down the computer route rather than a digital recorder. I owned a BR-600, nice product, but has a pretty low glass ceiling, and if you become serious about making you'd end up going down the PC route anyway.

I'd agree with Mark about going down the firewire route, if you don't have firewire, you can get your brother stick a firewire card in your PC if you have a spare PCI port.

I'm a big fan of cubase, if you get the studio (cheaper) version as a "student", that's pretty good deal. If you know Big Tommy in Little China, he'll always give you a good deal on the stuff like that.

Mics, they're kind of things you just collect over time when you find good deal for them. AKG make some great mikes, I'm Rode fan too, but there's a lot of American mics I don't have much experience of, so do a lot of research.

Anyway, back to finishing my rear diffuser. Best of luck.

Lucian