I could crank out music much faster than full lyrics. I don't think it's true that cranking out lyrics quickly is why we think there are more lyricists. I think the answer is far more simple. People are taught to write words as little kids and most of us do it every day in one way or another. Very few kids (and getting fewer by the day) are taught music in school. I wasn't. Not because I didn't want to learn, but because the only option to learn to play music was to be in the band and if you played football, you were allowed to ALSO be in the band at my school. And, as a younger child, we never had the money for an instrument. So financial means and school policy kept me from being able to learn how to write music so I never did. Even though I wrote and recorded over 2000 songs (100% with music, about 70% had lyrics) I did it with no knowledge of music theory beyond my own. I also played in many bands and did many shows and it was all without training. I didn't own my first instrument until I got a little keyboard that had a memory feature to record the notes you played (chords and single notes, not polyphonic). I started there and when I got out of college (still with no money to that point since I put myself through college 100%) I took out a loan to get some things to start my own home and with some of the money bought 2 small keyboards. But I started writing much earlier. I wrote stories, plays and lyrics going back to the age of 7. My first full script was at the age of 11 when I wrote something called "Mr. Jaws" which was a parody of the Jaws movie I had seen with my Grandma in 1975.

When people can write, but are shut out of music lessons or having access to an instrument, they can't develop those skills so writing lyrics is obvious. And once someone gets older, it's actually scarier and more difficult to find and take lessons as a complete novice. So most just buy an instrument and self teach and sometimes have a knack for it. But it's a huge disadvantage.

Sorry if someone else already made the same argument, I haven't had a chance to read any of the posts. Kinda had something else to focus on the last 14 months.

Brian

Brian Austin Whitney
Founder
Just Plain Folks
jpfolkspro@gmail.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/justplainfolks

"Don't sit around and wait for success to come to you... it doesn't know the way." -Brian Austin Whitney

"It's easier to be the bigger man when you actually are..." -Brian Austin Whitney

"Sometimes all you have to do to inspire humans to greatness is to give them a reason and opportunity to do something great." -Brian Austin Whitney