I guess we can all only answer this from our own point of view... I call myself "primarily a lyricist" I've banged on a guitar for 25 years but can't do much more than fake book covers. When I began to take songwriting seriously I began to try to make my own music... people tell me my melodies are good, but I have NO confidence in them, myself. I'd rather turn them over to a more polished musician who can make things that actually sound good. Sometimes my musical collaborators take my g/v worktapes and run from there, improving, refining, and elevating the song to a level I could never have taken it. Other collaborators would prefer to not be influenced by my worktapes but create their own melody from what they are hearing... Either way works fine for me but what I've found is that because I do hear a (however amateurish) melody when I write, that the end products are not usually all that different from what I was hearing in my own head and struggling to reproduce with my basic musical abilities. But what I have also found is that those differences between my worktapes and the end products (while usually minor in quantity) make a massive difference in the quality of the song. I prefer my lyrics to be handled by someone who knows what they are doing and can elevate my words to a place I could never have taken them, even if it's pretty darn close to where I could have taken them. Does that make any sense?

I have a song that I posted here about 6 months ago as one I wrote entirely myself - words and music. I received great reviews from many of you even though it was one of my self-produced amateurish worktapes. I've been begging for someone musical to take that song and produce a good demo of it... tweaking it as he/she sees necessary. The song is 95% done it just needs those embellishments that I can't do. I'm offering a co-write in exchange for a good demo. But I can't seem to get any takers... I wonder why... My alternative is of course to send it off to a demo mill but that's not in the budget right now... so I'm left here with a pretty decent tune that no ones REALLY going to hear until I can afford to get it demoed myself... that's kind of frustrating... I have bought BIAB and am trying to learn it to get somewhere with it but I feel like a second-grader in High school... Anybody wanna do a demo in exchange for a co-write? The offer still stands grin wink