Here's something different. I just want to say hello to my fellow artists, songwriters, poets, oddball geniuses, etc. I am a serious singer-songwriter-poet-writer-graphic artist/multimedia artist. I've been doing this stuff a L-O-N-G-ass time, and can't say I have much of a "career," exactly, but I have got what I would call "momentum." I wrote what I consider my first good songs starting around 1971, at IU in Bloomington. I had an all-original rock band called CABALA, played around campus a bunch. After that I had a career in Indy circa 1973-77, singing jingles, studio session vocals, writing songs, playing in club bands, even did a bit of music-scene promotion and journalism. I had several songs published and recorded by Good Seed, Whole Wheat, and the Vanguards. It all seemed so promising, but [insert hard-luck story here]. I had a band in Chicago for a while ('78-'79), spent some time in Miami, came back to Indy in '81. Since then, lots of open stages to try out new tunes, some small-club dates here and there. Finally put out a CD in '98, and have a new one I'm remastering now. This is original, personal-pop/arty-light-rock. I've finished writing another 10-song cycle of piano songs (I ususally play guitar) that is very different, that I hope to record in the next year or so. AND, I'm doing a jazz-singer thing for live performing that's taking on a life of its own. Who'da thunk it, that a relatively old dude like me could get his act together and become a much better singer, actually good enough (at last) to be taken seriously. I have a weekly gig, Tuesdays at Brix in Zionsville, doing all standards, jazz tunes & ballads. And I'm planning to cut a "real jazz" CD with some top local talent some time this summer. I'm excited about it.
Other stuff: I have a line of tee-shirt art & message designs, and a new series of photographic art prints. I'm working on a play... Too much stuff! If I have a point, it's this: younger people tend to write off older people as uncool and outdated, and I say screw that. You can't apply that kind of prejudicial thinking to artists. If songs matter at all, mine matter. If poetry and emotional expression mean anything, my work has meaning. I encourage all artists and musicians and poets to look beyond the petty barriers between generations and age groups. We're all contemporaries, living on the planet at the same time. As long as we value what we do, and respect each other, we can have a beautiful scene here. Whether you've heard of me or not, respect me or not, think I'm cool or an irrelevant moron, I'm here, I'm energetic and focused, and unstoppable. The artist thing has a certain magic that transcends all the superficial crap. Ya know what I mean? Sure you do--you're artists!
See you around!

------------------
I will always disappoint people who expect me to be ordinary.

[This message has been edited by dreamwalker (edited 05-04-2006).]

I will always disappoint people who expect me to be ordinary.