Cheyenne said Bernie T. probably had more ideas about popular song format than we give him credit for and he probably went back and forth with Elton John before they had something. I think that’s likely very true.

No one knows what went into a lyric...people only see the lines at the end of the process and those lines can be underestimated. Music can really bring out what the lyrics are really saying and ones that grab me tell a unique story in an interesting way or express an emotion in a way that I connect with. And like Donna said a page back, that’s the trick....and it does not usually come easy, for me, anyway.

And I agree...in “Your Song”, I hear it as an in the moment spilling of his feelings, as we witness this guy, sittin’ on the roof, kicking off the moss, trying to express himself. He can’t give this person anything...he’s not rich or flashy....but he has his feelings....these tentative thoughts that we hear...and he shares them. Those words are part of his emotion...and that’s the point...he’s vulnerable dancing around what to say. “It may be quite simple” indeed, but “this is your song”. What a gift! wink

Last edited by Kristi McKeever; 07/03/19 09:22 PM.

A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write,
if he is to be ultimately at peace with himself. What a man can be,
he must be. -- Abraham Maslow, American Psychologist