Originally Posted by Martin Lide
Originally Posted by John Lawrence Schick
Similar chord progression, though the guitar picking is a bit different. There's no doubt that both songs are easily identifiable from the other. If copyright infringements start using chord progressions as an infringement issue, we’re all in trouble. If one considers the songs in their entirety, there’s no copyright issues in my opinion.

John smile

Answer a question John....
If LZ had not toured with Spirit and had Page not heard TAURUS repeatedly...do you think that STAIRWAY would exist at all?

Is that a trick question Martin? laugh We are all influenced by what we hear through the years. Would Beethoven’s music exist as it is, if it weren't for Mozart. Mozart was a hell of an influence on Beethoven. My music is influenced by Rachmaninoff, Gershwin, Chopin, and Mancini. Bottom-line… Taurus and Stairway are both distinctive & different musical entities. Each stand on their own merits. Any music professor of composition and copyright law would agree. A jury of uneducated music listeners may not. The similarity of the guitar pickin’ chord progression doesn’t cut mustard with me buster. laugh