Originally Posted by Fdemetrio

inmho

FD,

Thanks, in all sincerity, for making me smile. smile

You are probably right, especially when talking about ballads..but you know as well as I, as soon as trends become rules, there's already innovators trying to break them. Such is the history of music.

Joni's long lines come mostly from a jazz/folk hybrid. But with hip-hop and rap especially, I don't think lyrical economy is important in anything but perhaps a small percentage of ballads. Much of the hip-hop I've heard recently has long ass vocal lines, usually sung with an inner-rhythmic hook to give them propulsion.

I'll tell you the one part of one EC song I can't stand, and it's the second half of Layla, which gets attributed to his drummer at the time, I think. It just drags on and on, for me. The bridge of that second part is especially boring for me. It's a chord progression that's so predictable that I dare anyone to focus on it without their mind's wandering. EC seems lost with it too, just adding some background tones and then doubling the piano melody at times..Some songs that are really two or more songs, joined at the hip, are fun, like Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey, but I can do without hearing the second half of Layla ever again.

Phew..got that off my chest.. wink

Mike

Last edited by Michael Zaneski; 06/12/19 05:30 PM.

Fate doesn't hang on a wrong or right choice
Fortune depends on the tone of your voice

-The Divine Comedy (Neil Hannon)
from the song "Songs of Love"
from the album "Casanova" (1996)