Originally Posted by Dave Rice
Late for the "difference of opinion" fest... as usual. LOL! Deej, I get your drift... and that of just about all the rest of you. Encouragement is a good thing and I suspect each of us needs it more than we would like to admit. A serious, no-holds-barred critique is something we all really need but most of us would dread to ask for one.

I was fortunate enough to find a publisher who would take the time to let me know just how miserable my song submissions sounded. It made me angry, upset, bewildered and confused. Now that many moons have passed and my judgement has improved, I've known that most of us will never "have out ticket punched" to the big waltz. Its nice to be able to listen to the work of others... and some of it is surprisingly good. The "surprises" don't seem to be coming around as often as they did a few years ago... but change is inevitable.

My parting shot to everyone... when it stops being enjoyable... find other pursuits. Until that time, keep it up and always remember... it only takes "One!"

My best to all of you. ----Dave

Back when I actually used to pitch, I used to pitch to small record companies and not publishers, cause I wanted to sing and perform my own stuff. Id go through songwriters market. I had read somewhere that one thing you could do was include an index card for them to give a reason why they rejected it. I many times got hurtful remarks.

"im sorry we dont accept amateurs work, and I think you fit the bill" "who the hell do you think you are, we already have a Springsteen" "You cant seem to make up your mind whether your rock, pop or folk" And Im not going to invent a category for you"

on the nicer side "Vocals good, Song good, backing band good, but what we need is great in order to compete"

I had a few who really liked it, and was offered a single song contract a couple of times, the startup companies were so small, they couldnt even afford quality letter head, I went to a lawyer with my dad, and the lawyer said as much, this guy is flipping a coin...

I later realized that there are so many types of good, and we all tend to make our version of good as Gospel. I mean the Ramones Teenage Lobotomy, is not supposed to be anything more than what it is, but it works for the people its intended for. And somebody still had to write it. If I was trying for a deeper song I would have done it. Not to mention many people in rock, some of its biggest stars consider the ramones one of the greatest rock bands to ever exist, and they played three chords... and never wrote a novel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ssoBUb2cJk
Certain things can be done right and done wrong, but within the context of that type of stuff.

Last edited by Fdemetrio; 04/06/19 08:38 AM.