[b][/b]Why DO WE WRITE- by MAB

There is always this little note, I notice on this site as well as pretty much all songwriter related web sites. It is a dirivation of several questions:

"We'll you tell us how impossible it is to get cuts or make any money...So why even do this?"
"If we can't even get a nod from Nashville, or get someone to listen to our music... why do we even do this?"
"If we can't make money from this.... "

You get the idea. And with things like the "MUSIC MODERNIZATION ACT" back and forth on streaming rates, compulsory licencing, power or lack of ASCAP, BMI, SESAC, etc. you name it,
"WHAT'S THE POINT?"

It is always a difficult question for me to even understand, because I, myself, nor any hit or established songwriter I've ever met, got into this business, started writing songs, moved from their home town, gave up financial and emotional stability, etc. EVER CLAIMED MAKING MONEY WAS A PRINCIPAL REASON FOR DOING THIS.

Not one. Ever.

I know that seems weird, but it is the truth. All of us did what we did because we felt WE HAD TO. We got as far as we could in our home areas. We wanted to change our location. We wanted to give ourselves the best chance possible. But it was never principally TO MAKE MONEY.
Most of us would have been happy just not to go broke.

We all had/have other jobs, other interests, other ways to bring income in and pay our bills. Some are great musicians and get jobs backing others up. Some develop their own studios, and go that way. Some turn to teaching (once people care enough to hear what they have to say) Some are business owners of other kinds, plumbers, electricans, contractors, mechanics, etc. and either work in those businesses for other people, OR farm them out, while things get hot musically, but NEVER completely get rid of them. They keep their liscences up, stay up to date on their business, codes, etc. BECAUSE YOU NEVER GIVE UP YOUR DAY JOB.

There are some, sure that catch fire, get hit songs and the money comes rolling in. But you usually find them keeping their hands in. While they get really hot, they are also PRODUCING other artists (or being artists) developing their own companies for the future, or invest in companies for the inevitable decline in their popularity, they are going to have to BE BACK in those businesses.

So the question YOU have to ask yourself.
IF YOU NEVER MADE A DIME AT THIS, WOULD THAT STOP YOU FROM WRITING?

Do you have any hobbies. Anybody golf? Play church softball? Run? Exercise? Play tag or touch football?

So what if you don't play the Masters, walk on with the YANKEES, run the Boston Marathon, Compete in Mr. World, suit up and play with the NFL?
Have you FAILED if you don't do that? Have you spent thousands and thousands on equipment, lessons, trips, clothes, to support your hobby?

WHY DO THAT? If you can't make any money at it, why even try?

BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO. There are things that drive us all. And music is one of the most engrossing things you can do. And you can do it ANYWHERE. You don't need a hit record, huge contract, fame and glory.

You can CREATE your own world. You can go play a local writer's gig. You can start your own writers group or open mic. You can find other people around you.
Can't get TAYLOR SWIFT to listen to one of your songs?
Big deal. I'm willing to bet there is a "Taylor Swift wanna be" playing somewhere near you tonight.

And you can record your songs. You can do radio sounding recordings all the time. You can do them in Nashville, you can get hit musicians on YOUR records. Or you can find people in your area.

You can find and support a charity with a theme song. Raise some money. Help out your area.
You can make someone's life a little better. You can write songs about someone going through a struggle.

YOU CAN TOUCH LIVES.

And that is all we can hope for. Do it a lot in a lot of directions, you can find your way. Get your own web site. Interact with other people. You can do this. The INTERNET WAS DESIGNED FOR YOU.
This is YOUR platform. How you use it is up to you.

SO that is my own take on all of this. I can't tell you something magical is going to happen to you. I can't tell you that someday,somehow, someone will find the perfect formula that all deserving creators will get paid.
I don't think that will ever happen.

SO WHAT?

Make your own luck, and your own magic. Don't worry about anyone else. Worry about YOU.

This is TABLES AND CHAIRS. I wrote this for YOU.
The most important lines in it to me are:
YOU DON'T CHOOSE MUSIC, MUSIC CHOOSES YOU. I really believe that. Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuufnn34E10

MAB