My day job is architect and small inner city townhouse builder. I almost always build in run-down neighborhoods that are gentrifying. The city cores which used to be essentially abandoned and economically depressed are now where a lot of people want to live for convenience and proximity to numerous amenities. And businesses want to be where people with disposable income live. That trend is not going to reverse anytime soon.

The way cities protect certain things like "musical districts" is through the enactment of historical preservation districts which maintain and limit what can go on in an area. That doesn't necessarily stop rents from rising though.

it happens out of the cities also. 70 miles or so west from Austin is Fredericksburg. Quaint but tourist saturated town with a German immigrant heritage. They have a main street with exterior patios providing live music. Never was an issue until people started retiring out there...and then...complaining about the noise. Big dust-up about it a couple of years ago.

As for me....I'm fine with run-down areas of town being upgraded, but I like for music districts to be left alone. Problem is...no one ever calls me and inquires about what I would like to have happen.